MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
What’s the point of being a GSA anymore then? I heard of this being a possibility right before I left and both of our GSAs told HR they wanted to step down to cashier because of it

Hours? At my store the GSAs are scheduled to work a lot more than any cashiers. The extra responsibility isn't worth it because I imagine for most GSAs the whole "it's a good stepping stone to a TL position" thing is never going to result in a promotion.

What’s the point of being a GSA anymore then? I heard of this being a possibility right before I left and both of our GSAs told HR they wanted to step down to cashier because of it

I think that could be said of any role away from cashier, though. Imagine going from cashier to Plano or flow where the physical labor and pressure is more intense. Yet they all make the same as a cashier. Cashier to gsa is definitely an increase in responsibility but puts them more in line with every other role in the store so none of us make enough!!

Hours? At my store the GSAs are scheduled to work a lot more than any cashiers. The extra responsibility isn't worth it because I imagine for most GSAs the whole "it's a good stepping stone to a TL position" thing is never going to result in a promotion.

Wouldn’t be surprising. I remember them saying HR tried to justify it as them “gaining extra experience” but they both didn’t want to move up from GSA in the first place so they didn’t really see any benefit from it. I also remember hearing “all cashiers will end up being GSA equivalent” when talking modernization but they never had any time for training when there were 2 cashiers up front at a time

I think that could be said of any role away from cashier, though. Imagine going from cashier to Plano or flow where the physical labor and pressure is more intense. Yet they all make the same as a cashier. Cashier to gsa is definitely an increase in responsibility but puts them more in line with every other role in the store so none of us make enough!!

GSAs are expected to act as “TLs” over the front end and it’s team members though, at least at the store I was at, not to mention closing registers/counting money. To me at least that’s more responsibility than being in Plano/sales floor/etc. (not saying those jobs are easy)

Transition is the hardest thing to deal with. I take a look at unload report prior to unload. determine my plan of attack. The answer may be a pallet that gets wrapped and put up until it's set. That's the ONLY time I use a pallet because pallets are not your friend with this process.

When we were hit w double after double after double we got to the point were you stop the unload push and return to unload. It's not ideal but who would have thought we could knock out 4800 in a day! The process does work. The mind set has to be right. It isn't just "flow's" job any more everybody plays. In my store logistics has a great relationship with hardlines TLs. It's a must have partnership! Scheduling has to be right as well.

My HR told my coworker that I will be considered tech/electronics lead & there will be a beauty lead. Both of us also get raises, but another LOD said otherwise.

There will be elevated position in Food, Home, Beauty and Electronics. They will have more responsibility then a team member but not as much as a lead. They will paid more then a team member. There is anothe pay lift his summer and these changes will be reflected then.

For the GSA position all cashiers should be at the level of a GSA. If not they shouldn’t be at Target. Post rollout the GSA will only be by themselves the first 3 hours and the last 3 hours of the day max. All other times the ETL and/or TL will be there.

GSAs are expected to act as “TLs” over the front end and it’s team members though, at least at the store I was at, not to mention closing registers/counting money. To me at least that’s more responsibility than being in Plano/sales floor/etc. (not saying those jobs are easy)

Oh for sure, and I agree they work very hard and the increase in responsibility deserves better pay. And I am plano/pricing so I might take it too personally. ;)

Now, in true Target fashion they don't pay HRTMs more and they are responsible for payroll, the schedule and so much more. They know so much about everything and are expected to keep it confidential.

All that to say how Target pays doesn't make a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When we were hit w double after double after double we got to the point were you stop the unload push and return to unload. It's not ideal but who would have thought we could knock out 4800 in a day! The process does work. The mind set has to be right. It isn't just "flow's" job any more everybody plays. In my store logistics has a great relationship with hardlines TLs. It's a must have partnership! Scheduling has to be right as well.

Your store must be well staffed...we have to have people pushing while the unload is going on or we'd never get things started right.

I just wish we didn't have to go through a narrow back aisle to get to the cardboard baler while it was going on.

Last edited:
Post rollout the GSA will only be by themselves the first 3 hours and the last 3 hours of the day max. All other times the ETL and/or TL will be there.

In theory, that's how it's supposed to be. In practice, I've been in two pilot stores and have yet to see this come to fruition most of the time. The GSA turnover rate is too high.

Based on her writing about the foods being left out for an hour, and companies paying for end cap sales floor location, I'd bet she used to work in retail.

You don't need to have worked retail to be concerned about temperature sensitive food items visibly sitting at room temperature for god knows how long.
I'm surprised that more people aren't concerned about stuff like this.

Also, from the pictures, that store is amazingly cleaner than the one I work at...

For the GSA position all cashiers should be at the level of a GSA. If not they shouldn’t be at Target.

Well, yes, and no. You aren't going to give the responsibility of banking all of the registers or getting change to ALL of the cashiers,. You also need someone in charge to direct the other cashiers to assign tasks and to coordinate breaks.

Never thought I would ever hear this at Target.

There's your cultural paradigm shift.

And, IMHO, not a good one.
I mean you can say that for anything at target? You can do anything super fast and do it terribly or you can take the time to do it right to make veryones lives down the line easier and that goes for anything at target not just truck

So today we were told ALL TL'S in our building will get keys but no increase and if keys are lost... termination
Expect more get paid less
You don’t have to accept it from what I can tell it’s store discretion so there’s nothing saying you have to have a key.

Back