MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My problem with a lot of these "unrealistic expectations" wouldn't be unrealistic half the time if some TM's actually worked. There's a massive portion of TM's that do not stay focused or on task during their shift and I see it in every store I go to when there's truck still on the floor. Most of the time these "unrealistic" expectations are unrealistic because TM's are too busy wandering around doing things that are not what they should be doing.
Or they just simply lack any work ethic. However, the expectations do seem a bit unrealistic for modernization. Team members pull their own autofills, push them, unload truck,push truck...backstock. Set planos, price change, back up cashier and provide guest service. Target is making it impossible to be guest service oriented while trying to complete tasks. Oh and not to mention the non existant payroll.

Or they just simply lack any work ethic. However, the expectations do seem a bit unrealistic for modernization. Team members pull their own autofills, push them, unload truck,push truck...backstock. Set planos, price change, back up cashier and provide guest service. Target is making it impossible to be guest service oriented while trying to complete tasks. Oh and not to mention the non existant payroll.

Wasn't it the whole point to go to this to be more guest service oriented? I can't provide excellent guest service on the floor if I'm the only they can find, and then there's three of them with questions, and I have to constantly run to the back to pull stuff. Some get annoyed waiting and then I never find them again...(what's more annoying is when they disappear after I've pulled something huge and obnoxious and then I have to bring it back).

There are a couple TMs in my store that will wander around with others. It's frustrating, because then later they complain that they can't get their tasks done (i.e. BR walking around with a hardlines TM for hours). Of course, it all depends on who is working. Me, I feel bad when I help another TM with a quick task because it's taking away from something I could be doing and could be seen as socializing...(the ETLs at my old store scarred me for life...)

I'm on flow and I had the Logistics ETL ask me why we zone.

She pulled me into the office two months ago and told me I'm not zoning enough. I bettered myself and made zoning my priority. So naturally, I have no clue what the purpose of zoning is, RIGHT?!

Last year, we never had to zone. We had a hardlines team to take care of it at night.

My problem with a lot of these "unrealistic expectations" wouldn't be unrealistic half the time if some TM's actually worked. There's a massive portion of TM's that do not stay focused or on task during their shift and I see it in every store I go to when there's truck still on the floor. Most of the time these "unrealistic" expectations are unrealistic because TM's are too busy wandering around doing things that are not what they should be doing.
Then that comes down to poor leadership and accountability if TM's are wandering around like that. These unrealistic expectations are unrealistic. Look at the stock hours off each truck. Then calculate how much payroll you are given each day. Now include backstock, zone, scan for outs, pull, set up a sales planner or two, fill end caps etc. These unrealistic expectations wouldn't be unrealistic if there was an actual investment in payroll to ensure these tasks are complete each day.

All these team members doing all of these things means more people on the sales floor when we are open. They might be busy at times but remember when there would be one person for all of hardlines for half of the day? Hard to be guest service oriented when the guests can’t find someone.

I agree that the expectations are pretty unrealistic. How many "business owners" are out there who staff their business 5.5 to 8 hours a day (very few if any get 8 a day) when the store is open 15 hours. In theory it is a good idea but you can't completely change the way a business operates and be unwilling to at least put more payroll into it in the beginning stages.

All these team members doing all of these things means more people on the sales floor when we are open. They might be busy at times but remember when there would be one person for all of hardlines for half of the day? Hard to be guest service oriented when the guests can’t find someone.

ASANTS, but I've noticed there really aren't more TMs on the floor, not with payroll being what it is. Yes, on truck days more TMs are there to unload and push, but they tend to be gone before the store gets busy for the day. Then, you are left with 1 or 2 TMs for general merchandise. They generally can't just do the things in their assigned sections as there is still push in other sections and pulls for all of GM. All those other things that "business owners" are supposed to do, don't get done. Right now, after staffing all of the mandatory must have positions (and barely at that) there aren't enough hours to hand out to GM to make modernization work as designed.

ASANTS, but I've noticed there really aren't more TMs on the floor, not with payroll being what it is. Yes, on truck days more TMs are there to unload and push, but they tend to be gone before the store gets busy for the day. Then, you are left with 1 or 2 TMs for general merchandise. They generally can't just do the things in their assigned sections as there is still push in other sections and pulls for all of GM. All those other things that "business owners" are supposed to do, don't get done. Right now, after staffing all of the mandatory must have positions (and barely at that) there aren't enough hours to hand out to GM to make modernization work as designed.
We have at least 1 truck a day if not 2, so I can see how the floor ends up unstaffed if there isn’t a truck.

I keep my team in their assigned areas. They don’t help other areas unless they’re 100% with truck and auto fills and backstock and auditing.

The hours are there, you have to take them from logistics. Take over their processes and they end up not having a need for the payroll.

We have at least 1 truck a day if not 2, so I can see how the floor ends up unstaffed if there isn’t a truck.

I keep my team in their assigned areas. They don’t help other areas unless they’re 100% with truck and auto fills and backstock and auditing.

The hours are there, you have to take them from logistics. Take over their processes and they end up not having a need for the payroll.

They don't help other areas? How strict are you about that?

We're setting patio and had to go get carts today. Would that about your definition of helping in other areas?

When you have a 2800 piece GM truck with 100+ repacks of SL alone, 10 hours of Price Changes a day, 100 hours of VMG/POG workload, and your schedule consists of 1 morning TM, 2 mid TMs and 2 closing TMs, anyone who had a good work ethic quickly learns that it's pointless to stress themselves out trying to get shit done, because they CAN'T get it done.
Good management will always give you a little more to do than can be done, to keep you pushing yourself all day. Target management gives you 5x what you can accomplish and then actually writes you up for not finishing it. Then someone from corporate sends you an email saying they moved up a major remodel to this week, sends the email on Monday, demands pictures by Friday, and tell you "you're not getting extra payroll, but I know you can do it!"
Then sends another email on Tuesday saying that the "visual brand" of the store has slipped due to the heavy workload, and that they'll be out to make sure you're 100% in the next few days.

Does my store have a ton of slackers that I've been wishing HR would allow me to fire for years? Absolutely. (We don't because we already had 12+ open positions for most of the year until seasonal, and we filled the positions with slackers Flex Fulfill didn't want.)
But, even if every one of my employees worked equal to the best one, or even myself, they'd be burned out and moving on in a few months at this rate. The job doesn't feel manageable physically or mentally for TMs with great work ethics at this time.

Does anyone have solid info on what the new org charts look like? More lead positions? Less? I know it depends on store prototype, volume, etc. but I'd like to know if, generally, there will be lead positions than there are now.

Also since PTL and BRTL are being merged into other positions for the most part, everything seems up in the air right now.

Does anyone have solid info on what the new org charts look like? More lead positions? Less? I know it depends on store prototype, volume, etc. but I'd like to know if, generally, there will be lead positions than there are now.

Also since PTL and BRTL are being merged into other positions for the most part, everything seems up in the air right now.
From what I can tell you either stay the same or gain an ETL depending on your org chart. The stores with a shared ETL salesfloor GE have been splitting it up again and getting a strictly GE or in the new model service and engagement leader

img_0456-jpg.7291
View attachment 7290

Last edited by a moderator:
My team members are so terrified to pass a call to the ETL, even when the caller requests them by name, that it's infuriating.
I mean, I get it, I myself passed a call to the ETL of a different department (I had no idea how to answer the manager-level question, never having worked in the department) and was promptly insulted in front of the entire team.
But, I just literally begged a TM to pass me to a certain ETL, and was told I could either talk to the GM TL or dictate my message for the ETL to the TM on the phone. I explained I had a sensitive issue I couldn't discuss with anyone but that ETL, and was transferred to the TL anyways.
And since I'll be damned if I'm going to drive up to work to touch base with this leader 4 hours before my shift starts, they'll just go without this important information until Monday, I guess. Because this is a sane way to run a business.

Since our salaried management team can't manage, pricing is behind, pog is behind, truck is behind. Softlines breakout is 2 trucks behind. The stl and her ETL sidekick were helping breakout for 2 days. Still not caught up. Guess it's not so easy, is it?

Since my area is behind, implying, I think, I'm partly to blame, I got asked to work overnight next week. Lol. Hell no. Schedule has been out for 2 weeks. And since my brilliant management team's only pasttime is cutting hours and not replacing call offs, let them figure it out.

Back