MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
With Modernization, Tell me How is anyone's store handling the Baby Hardlines Freight? I find that mgnt hasn't decided operationally to hand it off from the softlines person that owns both BbBg and NIT....
Yes someone on the inbound team will be doing diapers, food, strollers etc. but not the rest.
If anyone has the corporate bible for Modernization for that piece, could you PLEASE!! share?

Last edited:
Will there be someone to pull? At my store we do not usually have a cashier until close.
This. I typically have one closing cashier, the SCO attendant, and a GSTM (who could theoretically cover, but seeing the SD from the lanes is challenging, which presents another waiting issue if a guest shows up over there). And there are nights when I don't have a closing cashier. Hence my question.

Last edited:
so far, the gsas at my store were told we are still getting the same shifts & same responsibility/ role even if our title goes away. we generally get gsa/ gstl shifts and service desk shifts. i’m hoping this stays true, but who knows.
My best guess would be that GSAs will be given preferential shifts, until you cycle out of Target. Then, no replacements will be sought.

That's a fair rollout, to me.

One upside to this will be the elimination of the snark behavior, which I saw as the primary way people got promoted. "Let's see who can tattle best about cashiers."

Now, there won't be a payoff for that unhealthy behavior. They might even find the knowitall attitudes harm more than help.

Before the softlines people would run baby hardlines with the clothing freight. Our store is weird and diapers , food and formula have always been seperate as they are on the other side of the store.

Now we have switched, and the person who breaks down makeup repacks finishes that when they are done.
Someone else entirely does the wipes/diapers/food.

Yep. Business is slow from 8-10. Lots of people like working the early shifts, but it is understandable why they feel it makes more sense to have less people then and schedule when we are at peak business.

At our store, inbound is responsible for the infant hardlines freight. Our 2 softlines sorters that work during the unload pull for BB01, BB03, Diapers and Infant Furniture. We have 1 dedicated person from inbound that owns this area. She works the freight, the pulls, backstocks, zones and scans. She is in her 60's and is AMAZING! She literally runs circles around people 1/3 her age!

As far as Boys, Girls and Infant softlines, the 2 dedicated softlines sort by department and/or location. Our inbound takes the infant hardlines. A&A is responsible for the remainder.

I don't know if this helps, but our dedicated infant hardlines person, and our 2 sorters were originally softlines flow, then moved to A&A during some of the changes, and now back to Inbound.

After the inbound team leaves, I don't believe there is anyone specific that works or owns that area. What I do know for sure is that the BB01, BB03, Diapers and Infant Furniture batches seem to roll until the next truck is taken.

Last edited:
The one difference I noticed on my new schedule is that on the days I close, I'm not scheduled to leave a half hour later. I leave earlier on the days I come in a half-hour early to open. (My GS shifts are typical GS shifts.) I'm going to check the wall when I go in because we all know Kronos is garbage as often as not, but for me, it's usually right. If so, that looked like a big indicator.

Did inventory last night. One of the inbound TMs was in my area, and told me truck hasn't come clean since the beginning of this new process. He was amazed at empty shelves while product sits in the backroom. Softlines is STILL a mess. A lot of us are firm believers that the overnight process is a better way to make sure things are stocked and to come clean on the truck.

Inbound team started trickling in between 3:30 and 5, and I overheard the TL say, "Good morning, we absolutely cannot extend hours today." Okay. And yet, we are 500 hours OVER on payroll somehow too, with having no hours? So we're not going to come clean for a long time again?

New schedule posted. I have more shifts cashiering than I do in market. Talked with a TL last night and they mentioned that when they used to do the schedule, they'd try to get the bad people out by giving them 4 hours in areas where they didn't want to be. That makes sense. But now they've been keeping terrible people PLUS giving them like 30 hours a week? I'm not saying I'm the most amazing TM ever, but I hear complaints about certain TMs, and they're getting more hours. Also - how do you own an area you're you're not really working in? How does that work? "MODERNIZATION!"

Sorry for the rant, I'm running on less than 3 hours of sleep. I'm not excited to go close tonight.

Studies have shown* that early morning shifts are easier on your body than starting work later in the day. I hate closing because I literally feel like I will die in my sleep if I doze off on break.

*Not a scientific study, as it was conducted by me with a sample size of 1 (myself) and the journals wouldn't accept it for publication, oh well.

Yep. Business is slow from 8-10. Lots of people like working the early shifts, but it is understandable why they feel it makes more sense to have less people then and schedule when we are at peak business.
I'll grant that 8-10 is not peak, but it sure as hell isn't slow. I worked 6-10 last night and had hardlines and beauty both backing up with me for most of that last 2 hours because I was the only scheduled cashier and it was that not-slow.

If you’re strictly Starbucks I think you should be a barista a couple times a week but if you’re starbucks/market then I think it should be more spent in market and just supervising Starbucks.
I am a Starbucks TL and when I am behind bar, the team is usually on their best behavior and on top of things but when I’m not there they go back to their old ways. When I’m not at the bar I’m usually breaking down pallets, doing the schedule, ordering etc but I check up on my team frequently to see how they are performing with guest experience, cleaning, routines. Once I catch them loafing or doing something their not suppose to be doing that’s when I will coach them. I have a walkie on if they ever need me for support but mostly I am supervising. I do have like 2 shifts behind the bar though to give the team some weekends off.

Last edited:
No room. We used to be able to stack pallets on top of one another, and all the pallets in the store would take up may be two pallet spaces in recieving. Now we have vehicles with nowhere to store them that isn't in the way. What's the solution there?

Likewise, but with the pallets that come off the truck. There's nowhere to put them that isn't in the way, save for on the floor -- which we aren't allowed to do. If you get 3 pallets of water, 5 pallets of paper, 1 pallet of bags for the front end, and 3 pallets of cat litter.. where do they all go during the unload? They can't all be pushed by one person at once. Our unload area wasn't designed with this new process in mind. There's no room to store anything. Actually, there was.. but now the softlines breakout happens in that area. What's the solution there?

And that brings me to transition. Before the new logistics process, we had plenty of pallet spaces to store transition. Now we don't. We lost steel to the softlines breakout and to stage full U-boats. We lost light duty to the softlines reprofiling. There isn't anywhere left to put anything, and we seem to be getting transition earlier than we used to. I'm just glad I'm in market and never really have to deal with that nonsense, because it's literally everywhere. What's the solution there?

Fourth quarter is going to be a shitshow. I don't mind, since I just do my job in market and then leave for the day.. because that's my only job now. But man, the rest of the store is going to be on fire. Shit like this is happening in March. I don't remember it being like this last year.
We have been lucky enough to have a person work on pushing PIPOs for the past few weeks during unload. Most PIPOs are loaded on the same side of the truck which means the line can easily get by them. If there are side by side PIPOs and the TM pushing them is on the floor, we just move it to the same side as the others. Takes about a minute but that's better than finding storage space or waiting for the PIPP person to get back

Last edited:
I knew fulfillment fell under GM and that there was a closing team (leader and 1-2 experts), but the Starbucks thing I didn't know. I assumed it would be paired with Food since some stores don't even have a Sbux TL and the Sbux TMs report to the Food TL/ETL instead. Would this mean the Sbux TMs/TL report to the SE TL/ETL?

Starbucks gets freight too, so they do technically have to work freight (storing excess supplies in freezer/stockroom, restocking baked goods, etc..).
My understanding is that SBUX falls under Food/GM ETL, not S&E ETL.

We shall soon find out on Monday how our stores implement things. All I got to say is that I want a damn key so I don’t have to ask for people to open up the key cabinet or the cleaning closet next to me.

So I was told to do the "ethics" training today, and noticed something, uh..........well I don't know what to call it. If it's the same everywhere, then you'll notice this half-rainbow/wifi-signal looking thing that shows the consequences of not following "the Code."

One of these bad things (among lawsuits, injuries, and being fired) was INCREASED PAYROLL

I've been with Target for a little over two years working in flow and I am new to this website. Wanting to understand what is going on at my store, I started Googling and alas, I'm here. Saying that I feel like a deer caught in headlamps right now as I read through this thread, would be an understatement. I had no idea....

For what my opinion is worth (and it may not be worth much), I think modernization has been successful at my store, too successful. We went from barely finishing the trucks (2,100/per avg truck) in 8 hours to finishing same truck in an avg 5 hours. One of the things we did that was just plum crazy was bowling from the pallets/flatbeds to the floor to the shelf. Now sorting from the line to u-boats is just smarter all the way around. We've also doubled the unload crew making it a lot easier physically. That said, this has taken a huge bite out of my paycheck from the lack of hours. Further, Target also reduced my hourly rate by $1 when they shifted our start time from 4am to 6am. Now, I'm at a point where I need to decide if I want to stay with Target going forward? Sounds like April 1st is going to be a big day at Target w/ big announcements. Sounds like the Flow team as I know it now will be no more. It also sounds like the hours I was accustomed to will not be returning? That $15/hr pay raise/pie in-the-sky number doesn't really equate to much when my hours have been cut by half.

I'm starting to think it’s time to start a new chapter.

Something else I’ve noticed at my store and others that I've visited. Not too many folks at the ETL or TL in the 40s-50s age range? Is this the case at your store? I'd like to think it’s just my store?

There are several TLs in our store (and stores within the area) that are 50 and above. I do not see us performances out due to being slow, heck we are faster than half the younger tm's.

Last edited:
When I used to be a Starbucks TL, even if I was working on the floor with them I was constantly observing/giving direction. I had a team of 25 team members so delegation was key to ensure everything was done. They also enjoy learning how to place orders, how to execute the new sets, and training new team members.
Holy shit, 25 team members for Starbucks?

We’re a high volume store with lots of tourist and local foot traffic, and a busy Starbucks, and we have 5-6 TMs and a TL

Back