MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
NGL, I think about this a lot and wonder if that kind of productivity will ever be possible again once this phase rolls back. Our <2 year employees can't even fathom that flow had softlines broken out and pushed by 7am once upon a time. That guests never had to see a box being pushed in market and the whole store could be pushed before taking a lunch. It seems so long ago... *polishes monacle*

I'm waiting for q4 when corporate oks going back to overnights. Oh, you mean the team is more productive when the store is closed? Who would of thought...

In our meeting we were specifically instructed not to tell any TMs until STL has an all store huddle with the Team on or after April 22nd.

The most we could do is start to train whichever team member that’s not up to speed on expectations and routine and get them on board with new responsibilities. We already aligned at least half of our DBOs. I still think we got some areas to work out still.

It was the same in our store with the 22nd, but those of us like signing and backroom were unofficially told and told to keep it hush hush. They've been working with DBOs on learning POGs for salesplans for a while now, but haven't really told them why they're learning this extra stuff.

Of course, we've also been in this weird pseudo modernized state for a while now. Basically everything but the weird titles and mid shifts for leaders. Though the mids have started this last month, and we've have a closing lead since January, even though he hasn't been called that.

So I'm not even sure if we were actually a pilot store or if our DTL was just trying to get ahead of the curve. I know there have been several times where the DTL and every TL+ in our district has shown up at our store over a couple of days (like half the people one day, half the next) to learn various things about the "new process".

I'm waiting for q4 when corporate oks going back to overnights. Oh, you mean the team is more productive when the store is closed? Who would of thought...
Weekends right now are impossible to get truck done. You typically have more call outs on the weekend, and constantly having to support the front end or helping guest. For example, we had a 2300 piece truck today, and didnt get started until 7 because of the PP2 areas that were left over from yesterday. A truck that size usually takes my team around 2:30-3 hours, so we didnt get done until 10am! I lose 2 of my sorters because theyre only scheduled till 10am, that leaves the other 4 to help support other areas until 12:30. Btw we had around 250 cases of diapers/wipes so there goes a solid hour with 2 people pushing just diapers and wipes... Then after their lunch they have 1 hour to get all of paper pushed, which they managed. Now the problem is i have no one for plastics, because we had to use the "plastics" person to help get baby done. Ok now we have 3 people scheduled for PP2, 1 TL who hasnt even been able to set her sales plans this week for small app/housewares and shes the scheduled dedicated owner for that area...cool. Now we have the "Toy/sporting goods/ home improvement" team member who has 2 trucks worth of push, but you know they have to help with backup constantly and its very hard to get toys pushed during the afternoon on a weekend. Now we have the domestics/home/seasonal person who has a little bit of push left from the last truck, but now they have 40 repack boxes that came in today which will take up majority of their shift. Oh yea lets call them up for backup aswell.... Now were in a situation where none of the truck for today is going to be done, plus the residual from all week.... oh and we have about 12 pallets of easter candy that came in the past 2 days. FEELS BAD

Also, Is there a way to look up the SFS time per TM/cart? (skipped product)?
Is there a way to see the daily grind or is that just TL and above?

Much of what you’re asking is available on the Fulfillment Reports at https://greenfield.target.com
(surprisingly accessible from a home computer). Be sure to filter for your store. Not times per cart, but you can see individual TM average pick times for a day or other time period. General info on the reports is in the April Addendum on workbench.

To some extent that’s correct but the team members at my store complain about the same thing so.. this website is for venting right? Why can’t I vent too?
You absolutely CAN vent. You’re human. But please stop judging others for doing THEIR venting. It’s ok to disagree but you’re not just disagreeing here. We’re all supposed to be on the same team, no?

The only time my store pushes anything close to overnight is Thanksgiving week. 12AM a couple times, then back to 4...but this year, who knows? Can you just imagine trying to push during Q4 with this system?
We did and it really worked out well. You push in reverse though. P2 becomes your priority. Think about what ppl are shopping for...

New Store Bonus Program:
TLs are eligible for bonus based on store performance (Yearly sales/payroll)

$250 when you do not meet your goal
$500 when either sales OR payroll goal is met
$1000 when sales AND payroll are met
$1500 when payroll & sales are met by 5%+

Tls who transfer, promote, or demote will be pro-rated for bonus. Must be hired into tl position prior to Q4 for eligibility. If on LOA over 10months you lose your payout. If on CA at all during the year lead will be reviewed by HR/Leaders to assess eligibility. Bonuses will be issued April 2020
During the TL Store Mod meeting, I asked our STL about district level incentives which I had heard flying around my store as a rumor. She acknowledged that there would be quarterly opportunities to earn smaller compensation bonuses. These would be based on district level focuses. She said that DTLs (DDs??) we’re working out what the goals would be to align with district priorities.

So if your a Fulfillment TL and your district struggles with INFs that might be your goal, if you’re a F&BTL and your district misses orders frequently that might be your goal, etc.

I’ll be interested to find out what the structure of these goals will be, since they’ll most likely be hopefully easier to ascertain.

I would venture to guess that the size would be based on district sales volume. I just don’t know what the base model would look like versus a high volume model.

Anyone know more about this?

Remember your pushers aren't just flow anymore
Fair enough but those 'old' team members from the days of flow are not getting hours elsewhere. We are being scheduled for 4 hours and sent home. Very very rarely will enough dayside people call out and they'll ask one of us to stay for another 2 hours. But if your inbound at my store you get 4 hours and that's it.

Fair enough but those 'old' team members from the days of flow are not getting hours elsewhere. We are being scheduled for 4 hours and sent home. Very very rarely will enough dayside people call out and they'll ask one of us to stay for another 2 hours. But if your inbound at my store you get 4 hours and that's it.
Same at my store.

Same at my store.

Maybe this will help explain what's happening. I posted this in another thread.

Here's the problem, a 1800 piece truck is a 1800 piece truck. The stores are staffed according to sales/projected sales, not processing incoming freight. So when you ship 1800 piece truck to a low volume store, you exceed (overwhelm) the capacity of the store's ability to process freight. The higher the volume, the more freight can be processed daily along with frequency (# trucks/week).

What we call carry over is exceeded capacity. To be more exact, it is any unprocessed freight after the PP2 Team schedule time is up. Not the additional time added, but the original schedule time of the PP2 Team (last process team).

My store is LV and can process somewhere around a 1300 +/- piece truck depending on mix with little or no issues. Anything additional or other demands and freight will carry over. We simply do not have enough bodies at this time to process the freight the same day. More Team Members are to be added later.

The down side to this is that you take a way hours (cannibalize hours) from current Team Members due to hours/payroll being finite. The process demand problems are not due to variability, but not being able to staff appropriately. Additional hours come after sales, not before to process the freight that supported sales increase. This lag seriously affects sales as product is not readily available.

Spot could have avoided this conundrum. If we would have collected valuable statistical data back in the years when we scanned the truck, we could have projected hours by the make up of the truck fairly accurately. That ship sailed long ago and we're stuck with Sales Projections/Volume as the determinant for staffing the incoming freight process. This is most likely why they are using floor hours to process freight now. This somewhat offsets the additional hours needed to operate within the new parameters.

So all of you guys that are getting little to no hours and/or experienced a severe reduction, now know why.

Spot better figure out something before 4th Qtr. Can you imagine what it would be like in the 4th qtr. trying to unload a 1800 piece in the afternoon because you just wrapped up yesterday's truck?

When STL plans for scheduling according to GM unload standards it's 25 seconds a case pack you unload. That's just to unload! They should forecast based on what they receive for truck sizes and if there is a big difference then they as a STL need to address it. Also the unload process guideline stresses accuracy with the unload/sort. They need to stop with the BS that trucks should all be done in 2 hours...ATANTS😉

So my friend works for a local IT firm in Eastern Europe, has about 1,000 employees. His team's role in the company means that he and his team frequently talk to the CEO...in person...by walking upstairs to his office, or by waiting for him to stop by. The CEO started the company only a couple of years after the Soviet Union fell, and makes "only" about 15x-20x more money relative to the average employee, and he's a normal guy with a family. His son and daughter sometimes hang out around the offices after school and on the weekends. He takes the bus to work like a normal person. The company is going through a major acquisition right now and when the CEO wants to let the company know about coming changes, he stops by the offices and tells them, in person. And last but not least, he made a surprise visit to my friend's floor to announce big earnings gains over the last year and told everybody to take the day off with pay.

Error does not compute

So my friend works for a local IT firm in Eastern Europe, has about 1,000 employees. His team's role in the company means that he and his team frequently talk to the CEO...in person...by walking upstairs to his office, or by waiting for him to stop by. The CEO started the company only a couple of years after the Soviet Union fell, and makes "only" about 15x-20x more money relative to the average employee, and he's a normal guy with a family. His son and daughter sometimes hang out around the offices after school and on the weekends. He takes the bus to work like a normal person. The company is going through a major acquisition right now and when the CEO wants to let the company know about coming changes, he stops by the offices and tells them, in person. And last but not least, he made a surprise visit to my friend's floor to announce big earnings gains over the last year and told everybody to take the day off with pay.

Error does not compute
Brian is far too busy to talk to us low lifes. Plus it'd give him an opportunity to see and hear what TMs think of modernization. That would not turn out well.

Any seasonal “DBO’s” out there? Was wondering since there’s obviously more work for the seasonal/mini seasonal area that most, will pay still be the same as all other DBOs?

Spot better figure out something before 4th Qtr. Can you imagine what it would be like in the 4th qtr. trying to unload a 1800 piece in the afternoon because you just wrapped up yesterday's truck?

Our store just rolls the truck over, and fills the BR up with product, which (at the time) would also spill out onto the salesfloor and into the fire aisle.

Good times. Wonder how it will be this year?

:rhetorical question:

*everyone* but corporate knows how this will go.....

Maybe this will help explain what's happening. I posted this in another thread.

Here's the problem, a 1800 piece truck is a 1800 piece truck. The stores are staffed according to sales/projected sales, not processing incoming freight. So when you ship 1800 piece truck to a low volume store, you exceed (overwhelm) the capacity of the store's ability to process freight. The higher the volume, the more freight can be processed daily along with frequency (# trucks/week).

What we call carry over is exceeded capacity. To be more exact, it is any unprocessed freight after the PP2 Team schedule time is up. Not the additional time added, but the original schedule time of the PP2 Team (last process team).

My store is LV and can process somewhere around a 1300 +/- piece truck depending on mix with little or no issues. Anything additional or other demands and freight will carry over. We simply do not have enough bodies at this time to process the freight the same day. More Team Members are to be added later.

The down side to this is that you take a way hours (cannibalize hours) from current Team Members due to hours/payroll being finite. The process demand problems are not due to variability, but not being able to staff appropriately. Additional hours come after sales, not before to process the freight that supported sales increase. This lag seriously affects sales as product is not readily available.

Spot could have avoided this conundrum. If we would have collected valuable statistical data back in the years when we scanned the truck, we could have projected hours by the make up of the truck fairly accurately. That ship sailed long ago and we're stuck with Sales Projections/Volume as the determinant for staffing the incoming freight process. This is most likely why they are using floor hours to process freight now. This somewhat offsets the additional hours needed to operate within the new parameters.

So all of you guys that are getting little to no hours and/or experienced a severe reduction, now know why.

This was the problem with my store during Q4 with the roll out, and still a challenge today. Were a 5-6 truck week store non peak, and 7-8 during peak season and very rarely would we come clean during Q4....it was hell

When STL plans for scheduling according to GM unload standards it's 25 seconds a case pack you unload. That's just to unload! They should forecast based on what they receive for truck sizes and if there is a big difference then they as a STL need to address it. Also the unload process guideline stresses accuracy with the unload/sort. They need to stop with the BS that trucks should all be done in 2 hours...ATANTS😉
Only problem is you cant forecast for truck size because they can vary each day. Although they should schedule based on average for the previous weeks and take into account seasonal dumps.

Was corporate's advice and solution to 'deal with it?'
Pretty much, and that single source accountability was more important. So if joe has 6 hours of push and hes only scheduled for 4, where does that accountability go then? The reality vs expecatations is not feasbile unless the appropriate amount of hours are given and that team member is soley focused on getting what they own done. The biggest problem that has happen in my store is that there arent enough hours to support a full process for P2. We get some trucks where theres 40 repacks for just domestics..... Thats a whole shifts worth

Back