MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can anyone tell me what the new best practice is for boxes/hour when pushing truck? Am I remembering correctly that it’s 40 boxes/hour?

Equipment might definitely start being an issue. For my shift yesterday, there was next to nothing. I was lucky to find a walkie. But then I saw the dinosaurs (PDAs) and I thought, "I know how to 'sto' and item search with that. I can get by until a Zebra is available."

All was great until I went to the backroom and switched over to RF Apps...I typed "sto" and got

"UNKNOWN APPLICATION.

PRESS <ENTER> TO CONTINUE."

RIP "sto"!

Took it over to my buddy that works backroom and his response was gold. "Oh s***."

I am one of the VERY FEW who know how to pick up phone calls on the red phones. I don't care if equipment is not available. I'll pick it up on a red phone. But if the LOD or TL is harping on you to pick up a call and you HAVE a Zebra...sigh. Let me show you how to do it. I'm fine with that.

yes, some inbound TMs do know where everything is and some don't. I miss my friend from plano at my old store...I dubbed her the "walking PDA" because she knew EXACTLY where 98% of the store was. You need to know where something is and it's morning? Ask her.

Next couple of weeks will be interesting.

We’re very strict on not having GSAs or GSTLs jump on a lane - only when every single salesfloor tm possible is on a lane and they still need more. Happened just this last saturday where all hardlines, softlines, and grocery where on a lane and my GSTL had to call up our ETL LOG to watch the lanes as he jumped on one himself

Not anymore. I am not joking. The focus is SALES. Sales is a direct result of being in stock. Acknowledge the guest, help if asked, move along.

Guest centric is all we are hearing over here. People are going to buy stuff as long as it’s on the shelf, yes. But that isn’t SELLING. Selling is when you know, actually talk to and suggest products the guest may not even know they needed. It’s all about completing your tasks by the end of day and making dang sure you’re talking and selling to the guest while you are doing it.

Equipment might definitely start being an issue. For my shift yesterday, there was next to nothing. I was lucky to find a walkie. But then I saw the dinosaurs (PDAs) and I thought, "I know how to 'sto' and item search with that. I can get by until a Zebra is available."

All was great until I went to the backroom and switched over to RF Apps...I typed "sto" and got

"UNKNOWN APPLICATION.

RIP "sto"!

Took it over to my buddy that works backroom and his response was gold. "Oh s***."

I am one of the VERY FEW who know how to pick up phone calls on the red phones. I don't care if equipment is not available. I'll pick it up on a red phone. But if the LOD or TL is harping on you to pick up a call and you HAVE a Zebra...sigh. Let me show you how to do it. I'm fine with that.

yes, some inbound TMs do know where everything is and some don't. I miss my friend from plano at my old store...I dubbed her the "walking PDA" because she knew EXACTLY where 98% of the store was. You need to know where something is and it's morning? Ask her.

Next couple of weeks will be interesting.
Target’s missing over 4,200 myDevice’s since January per the April Addendum. . .

We’re very strict on not having GSAs or GSTLs jump on a lane - only when every single salesfloor tm possible is on a lane and they still need more. Happened just this last saturday where all hardlines, softlines, and grocery where on a lane and my GSTL had to call up our ETL LOG to watch the lanes as he jumped on one himself
Grocery on a lane?! Ours didn't even come to huddles when we still had them let alone come up for backup. I'm pretty sure that all the people they hired for grocery aren't even register trained.

Lol what.

If I’m watching the lanes, and the situation is that bad, I’ll call out the ETLs/STL to get on a lane. Don’t let them be above getting on a lane. This is how you keep them in line 😏

My favorite is when there’s a skeleton crew working and it’s lunch and break time and there’s been a call off and I already have 1 cashier, and the 1 person available from the floor on a lane, and I’ll call the ETL HR to backup saying I already have everyone who’s available on a lane and that brings the total to 2 lanes open 😂

Yesterday, April 8, 2019 was my store's first modernization day. Disaster of epic proportions. Huge truck, long shifts so several team members will be out of hours by Friday if the next two trucks are huge. No one to sort Beauty Freight and it was huge. Store Director is trying to stop the "flex everything" mentality that the former Store Director encouraged. The Beauty TL is being moved to GETL as of the 15th, Beauty will be run by two teenyboppers who have been with the store for three weeks. The GSAs are mad because they are getting their hours cut so the two GETLs will get 40 hours. Lots of tension and short tempers.

"UNKNOWN APPLICATION.

RIP "sto"!
Whaaat they got rid of stow? My store has been forcing us to use PDAs to backstock for months now (they say the mydevice "doesn't work" for backstocking) so I wonder what they're doing now. 🤔 I guess I'll find out this weekend.

What does everyone's "Style" schedule look like? How is that going for other stores?
We have 6 designated "ownerships" that the departments are broken down into, but we at most have 8 people on the schedule all day long, and one is the TL who's just supposed to supervise.
So, 5 out of 6 of those "ownerships" only get touched for 4-5 hours a day at most, and some of the areas aren't even zoned after noon.

So far, the team is getting through Price Changes, and barely keeping up with the Fitting Room, trying to do a clean up zone as they go.

We stopped unloading freight a while ago, as all the Z and Metro racks were full.

We heard a lot about getting more hours in SL going into modernization, but while we've gotten a lot more in HL, we've gone way down in SL.
We're just wrapping pallets off the truck and putting them up top in the bulk racking at this point.

What does everyone's "Style" schedule look like? How is that going for other stores?
We have 6 designated "ownerships" that the departments are broken down into, but we at most have 8 people on the schedule all day long, and one is the TL who's just supposed to supervise.
So, 5 out of 6 of those "ownerships" only get touched for 4-5 hours a day at most, and some of the areas aren't even zoned after noon.

So far, the team is getting through Price Changes, and barely keeping up with the Fitting Room, trying to do a clean up zone as they go.

We stopped unloading freight a while ago, as all the Z and Metro racks were full.

We heard a lot about getting more hours in SL going into modernization, but while we've gotten a lot more in HL, we've gone way down in SL.
We're just wrapping pallets off the truck and putting them up top in the bulk racking at this point.

We have been scheduling 1 tm for fitting room at open and then no one else comes in until business picks up at our store so like mid morning. Then we schedule mids and one person closing.

Whaaat they got rid of stow? My store has been forcing us to use PDAs to backstock for months now (they say the mydevice "doesn't work" for backstocking) so I wonder what they're doing now. 🤔 I guess I'll find out this weekend.

Yep, "sto" is gone. I was REALLY sad about that actually. ("nop" doesn't work either...it was faster than the item search app.) We have 6-8 dinosaurs still and when there are no myDevices? WE ARE SCREWED.

My last four shifts I had no walkie no equipment when I start my shift. I’m not looking forward to working mostly mids. There’s a huge device issue at my store. Not enough for people who come in after store opens

I can push freight without a device. If I get stumped, I'll scan on the Target app on my phone. It's the backstock or pulling that's an issue without a device. No walkie? Ope, I can't back up at the lanes then! WHOOPS.

Also...if there's NO backroom team, then I can't make one of them pull something for me if I don't have a device. I could maybe make SFS do it, but they have enough to do themselves.

I miss the days where flow DIDN'T need equipment to find stuff...they knew their section (or the whole store) well enough without it. Also my friend on plano.

They're moving one of the early morning TLs to GETL. I was told she will not hold the inbound TMs accountable for not backing up. So those of us who have been hardlines or softlines normally will be stuck doing all the backing up. So that's fun.

Last night was kind of ridiculous though. The store was dead after 9:15. I maybe rang up 3 guests between then and 11. We started wandering over to softlines and folding one of their tables by SCO. I adjusted a few racks and picked up clearance. I'm sure this will end up being a no no at some point, but why have 1 cashier and 1 SCO when it's that dead? Props to the GSA for letting me go ten minutes early, but the front end really can't do anything when it's that slow? Sigh.

Also...if there's NO backroom team, then I can't make one of them pull something for me if I don't have a device. I could maybe make SFS do it, but they have enough to do themselves.

Just ask a TM who isn't currently using their device if you can borrow it for a couple of minutes to get something for a guest. It shouldn't be a problem. Obviously, that's not going to work for all of the other things a fully modernized TM needs a device to do though.

wait, no more sto on PDAs? Is this global/all stores? I'm off today, but am mids all the rest of the week, and next...doubt I'll get a device....so, if I have a pda...no dice? hehe

I wonder how long the PDA's will last. As far as I know us receivers are the only people who absolutely need to use them now. We have our compliance task on them and sorting ESIM. Unless they still haven't moved the price change pulls over to the mydevice (its been a bit since I've checked)

Back