MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is everyone in your store getting single 4 hour shifts?

I can’t help but think that, of course, the ones who’s hours gets slashed are going to be vocal about it. It’s like bad reviews of products or businesses, of course someone pissed about it is going to be way louder about it.

It’s not like they are cutting overall store payroll 90%. Which is what would be the case if everyone who said ‘we all got 40 hours a week and now everyone only gets 4’ was right.

I know that all our inbound team is getting 4 hours and that's it. There have been a few rare exceptions when someone during the day calls out and they ask one of us to stay an extra hour. We've been asking for hours, even in other areas, but not have been given them. Yet we are interviewing for all positions.

I know that all our inbound team is getting 4 hours and that's it. There have been a few rare exceptions when someone during the day calls out and they ask one of us to stay an extra hour. We've been asking for hours, even in other areas, but not have been given them. Yet we are interviewing for all positions.
Inbound hours appeared to recover significantly from what I saw. Literally ASANTS, as it was our payroll plan. But it was a steep increase. This was starting 5 weeks out or so.

same here. no matter what the freight size is, how our metrics say were comping, etc. we still get scheduled 2 4 hour shifts a week-no exceptions. they started adding in no swaps unless you work in that department/zone and even then most of the time your working when it needs covered. seniority means bunk, effort/provable metrics mean bunk, and now even the goodwill between management and us is slowly dying. we are in a college town so our turnover is high and the newbs dont get it. we use to cherish and further those who stuck on but lateloy its been "who looks like their working the most" vs "who IS working the most".

The last schedule I made for my team seemed to be the same hours for my store. Nothing has changed in our systems yet.

The real only changes as far as scheduling is concerned is that two weeks out I’m officially mid 4 shifts and 1 closing shift.

Things are allocated different, there’s no logistics or backroom hardlines etc on it now, it’s GM, inbound, etc. and the amount of hours that I saw was higher.

Yeah it took our leadership probably 5 hours to crank out the new schedule. BUT the ETL-GM/F or whatever they call former LOG now was able to work a bit of magic with it. Everyone who was impacted (backroom, pricing) and all primary DBOs are getting at least 7 hr shifts for 4 of the 5 truck days. On the 5th truck day (outside of Q4 we usually have 5 or 6, this week was 5), they're only getting 5 hours, BUT that's because their backup is also scheduled with them for 4 hours to help do the push while they do their pricing/spln/etc.

That actually seemed pretty smart to me - having one day with the backup in the area with them to help push. Primary will be the only one touching salesplans and pricing, so it makes sense to actually allocate a specific time to get it done. At least then there is a clear expectation of what and when rather than just "why wasn't this done, you had all week" or whatever.

Assuming the hours stay around for them to be able to schedule it like that, I could see at least that part being successful.

Of course, there are losers. Some former primary dbos have been made secondary to make room for the backroom and pricing people to continue getting hours. They want to at least keep them happy for a while I guess because one of those people went to each GMTL as sort of a trainer for their people. So one pricing TM went to GMTL1, the other to GMTL2 and GMTL3 is the former PPTL so he can train his own people. Same with backroom, one to GMTL3, one to GMTL1, and GMTL2 is former backroom. Other people from those departments got bounced elsewhere, I'm not sure where. Probably SFS and softlines.

But, those secondary people had only been getting 4hr shifts lately anyay, so they aren't losing hours per se, they're probably just going to feel slighted by being pushed aside to secondary by someone getting more hours in their area. But, as far as that goes, I think the leads did the best with what they had. There weren't really any options where everyone was a winner.

HL TMs--are your stores training you on the Wave, now that we're supposed to do our own backstock? We haven't heard anything at our store about that, and I hope not. I don't really want to deal with the Wave, particularly given what a disaster our backroom is these days.

HL TMs--are your stores training you on the Wave, now that we're supposed to do our own backstock? We haven't heard anything at our store about that, and I hope not. I don't really want to deal with the Wave, particularly given what a disaster our backroom is these days.
I’d already trained a few of my TMs on it; but I am working on having all of my TMs trained on the wave, yes.

So I helped an sfs tm for almost 15 minutes get down some chairs with the stacker. Do I get 15 of help back? Who do i tell about being behind now? Maybe next time I don't help. It's not my area. In the past, it was a team. Now as a DBO, and helping a team that will never return the favor ......

What does wave certification require. I have a TL (not my direct lead) who thinks I should know how to use it because he described it to me once. I'm pretty sure there is more to it than that.
You need to be certified on any powered equipment before using it. That TL should know that “describing it to you once” isn’t going to cut it. You need to watch the powered equipment safety video on the computer, and receive practical training where a trainer shows you how to use the equipment and certifies you when you are proficient, anything less can be dangerous for you or others. You only have to watch the video once even if you are being certified on multiple types of powered equipment. Your ETL-Log (or whatever they are called now) should be able to set you up with a trainer. Good luck!

So I helped an sfs tm for almost 15 minutes get down some chairs with the stacker. Do I get 15 of help back? Who do i tell about being behind now? Maybe next time I don't help. It's not my area. In the past, it was a team. Now as a DBO, and helping a team that will never return the favor ......

I would also return the favor. Just let me know what you need. Reshop? Some zoning? Audit?

Has any other store been receiving Frito Lay boxes on the trucks from the DC? Can't remember 100% but I think it's transition as well. But I'm just wondering why the DC us sending Frito Lay product. I thought that's why they had a vendor come in

I would return the favor, too. In fact, I would help out anyone who needed help. Apparently that was the wrong attitude, because my “you’re here only to make me look good” ETL showed me the door and helped me figure out that I would be better off on the other side of it, (which I am).🤣 Sometimes doing the right thing can be hazardous to your job security. And that was before Modernization .

Has any other store been receiving Frito Lay boxes on the trucks from the DC? Can't remember 100% but I think it's transition as well. But I'm just wondering why the DC us sending Frito Lay product. I thought that's why they had a vendor come in

Yes, there is a transition coming up for the chip aisle in a couple weeks. Not all Frito Lay product is delivered by the vendor, some of it comes in from our DCs. Usually those items are worked by team members, not the vendor.

Has any other store been receiving Frito Lay boxes on the trucks from the DC? Can't remember 100% but I think it's transition as well. But I'm just wondering why the DC us sending Frito Lay product. I thought that's why they had a vendor come in.
They are usually the multipacks and usually come in for sets during BTS and Halloween. We may be doing another value set in mini or could be an early shipment for the summer set.

Back