MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Has anyone considered the fact that more payroll hours doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone gets more hours? Since many stores are still hiring, it appears that the company’s intent is to have more people working part time, therefore drastically cutting costs for company paid health insurance. Having two part timers working 20 hours each per week costs the company far less than one working full time.

Has anyone considered the fact that more payroll hours doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone gets more hours? Since many stores are still hiring, it appears that the company’s intent is to have more people working part time, therefore drastically cutting costs for company paid health insurance. Having two part timers working 20 hours each per week costs the company far less than one working full time.

Yes, all along. "But, but, but ..... Target is raising wages. It's all over the national and local news." They of course don't publicize their other intention, to cut benefits. That would destroy their carefully crafted public image. I mean, they already destroyed their image in Canada.

In my store TMs are all having hours reduced to part time. People that averaged 30+ a week last December are desperate for hours. Target isn't giving them yet is hiring. On inbound we ask to stay but are told no. Job posting board says we are hiring for 4 inbound positions (part time, 4 hours a shift, open availability mandatory.) Oh, and 25 cents more an hour than current TMs are receiving.

A fellow team member recently overheard our DTL telling our STL not to schedule anyone over 26 hours. I’m assuming that they were referring to team members and not leaders.

A fellow team member recently overheard our DTL telling our STL not to schedule anyone over 26 hours. I’m assuming that they were referring to team members and not leaders.

I've been told that once the $15 is in place no PG35 employee will be eligible for benefits. The rationale being that they can't afford the increase PLUS the cost of benefits. Yet we're doing the best we've ever done. Or whatever garbage our STL is saying when not busy telling us all how we need to be picking up the pace.

Everyone who I’ve primarily created a schedule for had consistently been given 30-40 hours. And other TMs that I oversee usually gets 35-40 every week. The only people who I know who are short are cashiers and a very small few from “flow”.

You need to be certified on any powered equipment before using it. That TL should know that “describing it to you once” isn’t going to cut it. You need to watch the powered equipment safety video on the computer, and receive practical training where a trainer shows you how to use the equipment and certifies you when you are proficient, anything less can be dangerous for you or others. You only have to watch the video once even if you are being certified on multiple types of powered equipment. Your ETL-Log (or whatever they are called now) should be able to set you up with a trainer. Good luck!
Lol, "should." Once also isn't proficiency but Target gonna Target.

Many stores are losing salaried managers and adding hourly ones. Those extra 40 GSTL hours, Closer 40 hours, etc. . . add up quickly.

So right now, as I flex team member I'm on pg30. In my state, that IS $13 dollars and pg35 is $13.50. Does that mean our pg30s still get that extra 50 cents when we get bumped to pg35 even though we're already at the $13 mark?
The extra 50 is no longer a thing when that happens. All will be $13

The extra 50 is no longer a thing when that happens. All will be $13
No they won’t take away the $.50 and since his state minimum is already 13 I have a feeling everyone will stay where they’re at when the company goes to $13. Their state won’t see a difference until $14

So right now, as I flex team member I'm on pg30. In my state, that IS $13 dollars and pg35 is $13.50. Does that mean our pg30s still get that extra 50 cents when we get bumped to pg35 even though we're already at the $13 mark?
PG30 will be eliminated, so people in your particular store/state will likely be bumped up to $13.50. Any non-TL will be at this same base pay, unless they were already above it.

No they won’t take away the $.50 and since his state minimum is already 13 I have a feeling everyone will stay where they’re at when the company goes to $13. Their state won’t see a difference until $14
Thats what I think is going to happen. One of our tms was bold enough to ask our TL if we were getting bumped a full dollar and our lead just looked super uncomfortable and kinda brushed it off like "probably not"

Thats what I think is going to happen. One of our tms was bold enough to ask our TL if we were getting bumped a full dollar and our lead just looked super uncomfortable and kinda brushed it off like "probably not"
Unfortunately PG35 wasn’t a minimum $12.50 PG and instead a $.50 above base pay grade so matter what PG30 went to PG35 would always be $.50 above So that’s why your state got 13 and 13.50 since PG30 has to be $13 in your state. Now that everyone goes to PG35 it will be a minimum paygrade where everyone makes at least $13. Since the previous PG35 TMs are already above $13 and everyone else is already at $13, nothing will change. $13 follows both your states minimum wage and targets minimum.

So as someone who does the schedule there are a majority of reasons why we have to hire more people. My fave reasons is a team member only wants to work a 6-2:30. Well that’s actually not a shift I can schedule- that person now gets 8-2:30, and if I don’t have someone who can cover that gap, then I have to hire more. My late mids/ closets tend to come in at 5, so I now have to find someone to do 2:30-5.. so now I have to cut someone else’s hours to accommodate you wanting to go home and cook dinner; and usually it’s mosty a case of someone else wanting to work day hours. I then try to even all my hours out besides my rtw and kids tm who each get 40 because they have open availability. I also have to have options for call ins. The Flu KILLED us there year. There was 1 day when the entire salesfloor Called our and we couldn’t call anyone in because everyone had been scheduled or had been sick. We also need extra bodies because workload fluctuates. We need to be able to have backup on heavier weeks. A heavy week, with multiple call outs, never mind comping 30%, it can screw up a green Workcenter. So yes it sucks, but most of the time I’m scheduling to the needs of my work center, If I know u have benefits I try to give you enough hours, other than that I don’t schedule people purposely so that they can’t get them. I honestly don’t think most leaders do either, there’s no report at store level, we are trying to make modernization work, and having tms with flexible work centers is crucial.

Also for the pay.. it’s frustrating that newbies get paid the same- but they are now required to do more work than you did when you first started and half the time it is more than the raise you would have received.. Seniority isn’t and should never be a thing. It’s a bad culture for everyone else. I busted my butt harder than anyone at my store when I first started and was paid much less. Just because you are different doesn’t mean it’s the same everywhere and Most companies do the same thing.

Back