MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Also for the pay.. it’s frustrating that newbies get paid the same- but they are now required to do more work than you did when you first started and half the time it is more than the raise you would have received.. Seniority isn’t and should never be a thing. It’s a bad culture for everyone else. I busted my butt harder than anyone at my store when I first started and was paid much less. Just because you are different doesn’t mean it’s the same everywhere and Most companies do the same thing.
So sad...too bad. We were required to do the work that we were given when we were hired. They have to do "more work"? I don't find this to be valid. No. They have to do the work that they agreed to do when they were hired just as we did. Seniority should never be a thing? Why not? Those who have been there longer have proven that they have been able to meet and adapt to the ever changing business needs. How is being loyal to your employer a bad culture for anyone?? I don't know if I worked harder than anyone at my store. That's a pretty subjective and somewhat narcissistic statement. I know that I met goals (or beyond), got good or better reviews, learned the business and helped the company grow to where it is today. Why should that be negated?

QUOTE="Rarejem, post: 512476, member: 194"]
So sad...too bad. We were required to do the work that we were given when we were hired. They have to do "more work"? I don't find this to be valid. No. They have to do the work that they agreed to do when they were hired just as we did. Seniority should never be a thing? Why not? Those who have been there longer have proven that they have been able to meet and adapt to the ever changing business needs. How is being loyal to your employer a bad culture for anyone?? I don't know if I worked harder than anyone at my store. That's a pretty subjective and somewhat narcissistic statement. I know that I met goals (or beyond), got good or better reviews, learned the business and helped the company grow to where it is today. Why should that be negated?
[/QUOTE]

Target is a "throwaway" company. Some businesses see value in the experience and other assets long term employees have. Some don't. Target is one of the latter. I can't say whether it was this way before I worked there, but it's that way now.

Did modernization do away with. ‘TEAM MEMBER’ ? I’ve seen front of store advocate , GM expert, presentation expert, DBO, not a ‘team member’ in any title. Are we to stop using it even though we are still using Team Lead ?

Target is a "throwaway" company. Some businesses see value in the experience and other assets long term employees have. Some don't. Target is one of the latter. I can't say whether it was this way before I worked there, but it's that way now.
Might be ASANTS, but Spot used to value long term employees and treat them well. That was before the credit card breech, Target Canada debacle, the last recession and other setbacks pushed Spot into the current death spiral. Too bad they have lost or forced out the experienced people who could have helped mitigate the Modernization disaster...

Might be ASANTS, but Spot used to value long term employees and treat them well. That was before the credit card breech, Target Canada debacle, the last recession and other setbacks pushed Spot into the current death spiral. Too bad they have lost or forced out the experienced people who could have helped mitigate the Modernization disaster...

Be careful, some people get touchy when you mention the Canada disaster.

So as someone who does the schedule there are a majority of reasons why we have to hire more people. My fave reasons is a team member only wants to work a 6-2:30. Well that’s actually not a shift I can schedule- that person now gets 8-2:30, and if I don’t have someone who can cover that gap, then I have to hire more. My late mids/ closets tend to come in at 5, so I now have to find someone to do 2:30-5.. so now I have to cut someone else’s hours to accommodate you wanting to go home and cook dinner; and usually it’s mosty a case of someone else wanting to work day hours. I then try to even all my hours out besides my rtw and kids tm who each get 40 because they have open availability. I also have to have options for call ins. The Flu KILLED us there year. There was 1 day when the entire salesfloor Called our and we couldn’t call anyone in because everyone had been scheduled or had been sick. We also need extra bodies because workload fluctuates. We need to be able to have backup on heavier weeks. A heavy week, with multiple call outs, never mind comping 30%, it can screw up a green Workcenter. So yes it sucks, but most of the time I’m scheduling to the needs of my work center, If I know u have benefits I try to give you enough hours, other than that I don’t schedule people purposely so that they can’t get them. I honestly don’t think most leaders do either, there’s no report at store level, we are trying to make modernization work, and having tms with flexible work centers is crucial.
And 99% of these problems stem from the fact Target won't use set schedules for TMs. Expecting wide open availability for part time, irregular hours works better for robots than for human beings.

Heaven forbid anyone wanting to work at Target have a family! You know what, Target should publicize that only people with no family, no life, no kids, no prospects of having kids, pets, or friends apply. Wouldn't that solve all those issues?

I dont think they are making it a secret with this new platform that is EXACTLY what they are trying to look for.

Our store hasn't implemented Modernization yet (let alone really tell anybody anything about it) but I'm really dumbfounded on how any of this is going to work.

All week I and the entire inbound team are consistently asked to come in at 4am just to try and stay afloat in the backroom and to make enough room just to take the truck the next day... let's see this work when were getting forced out after 4 hour shifts.

Our store hasn't implemented Modernization yet (let alone really tell anybody anything about it) but I'm really dumbfounded on how any of this is going to work.

All week I and the entire inbound team are consistently asked to come in at 4am just to try and stay afloat in the backroom and to make enough room just to take the truck the next day... let's see this work when were getting forced out after 4 hour shifts.
No modernization wtf I see someone being let go in the very near future.

No modernization wtf I see someone being let go in the very near future.
How could they? TLs and ETLs just found out about it 2 weeks ago. STLs haven’t known about it for much longer than that. This week is the earliest possible week that could be scheduled with modernization, but that doesn’t mean it has to be this week.

Supposedly Store Mod was piloted in R300, with various versions distributed among various districts. My district wasn’t a pilot, but one of our stores was, and our DTL went ahead and pushed modernization (as we knew it) and most of our stores were at least partially modernized before this all came down from corporate.

That might explain why some stores are like “whatever, this isn’t anything new” and the vast majority are like “WTF?!?”

I'm over modernization, it only works in 50% of the stores and all the expectations are unrealistic. I've been with Target for 5 years, 4 as a TL and I'm about to update my resume and look for a job else where. I use to love working for this company, now it's all cut throat and don't give a shit about no one

Heaven forbid anyone wanting to work at Target have a family! You know what, Target should publicize that only people with no family, no life, no kids, no prospects of having kids, pets, or friends apply. Wouldn't that solve all those issues?
Sounds like they need to hire those who despise any social interaction. Trolls from beneath the bridge seem ideal, but then there’s that whole “everyone cashiers”. Trolls hate cashiering, They are not alone

Be careful, some people get touchy when you mention the Canada disaster.
we went head first into Canada with out a viable logistics plan. it took more to pay for the CEO's golden Parachute than to pay out all of Target Canada team members. the same corporate structure that allowed that and all the others to happen are the same group that is pushing E2E/Store Modernization/DBO this will all end the same way.

How could they? TLs and ETLs just found out about it 2 weeks ago. STLs haven’t known about it for much longer than that. This week is the earliest possible week that could be scheduled with modernization, but that doesn’t mean it has to be this week.
We’ve known it was coming for more than a year! What do you mean the etls just found out?

Talked to my STL today about how things were going and he likes the idea of everyone 'owning' their own area. What's killing us is the truck not being pushed until once the store is open. Apparently the DTL is raising the proposal to bring back an overnight team (or even 5 or 6) to work 10pm to 6am or around 3am for 8 hours. They would push the truck, backstock freight and do pulls and backstock those.

Essentially the way Modernization is but with the truck process being overnight. I think this is a great idea and our dayside TMs would be a lot less stressed if they didn't have to push their truck freight. I don't see any other way of doing it besides this way come q4. We an hire all the seasonal help we want but there's only a limited amount of space in our backroom for freight and vehicles.

Supposedly Store Mod was piloted in R300, with various versions distributed among various districts. My district wasn’t a pilot, but one of our stores was, and our DTL went ahead and pushed modernization (as we knew it) and most of our stores were at least partially modernized before this all came down from corporate.

That might explain why some stores are like “whatever, this isn’t anything new” and the vast majority are like “WTF?!?”
It was piloted across the country all of 2018. They chose various store models in various markets. The tested in small format, super, pfresh, single floor, double floors, small volume, large volume. This is that largest structure change in a very long time so they did their research. That being said I’m not agreeing they took all the feedback but they definitely did the research and tested in all options

Apparently the DTL is raising the proposal to bring back an overnight team (or even 5 or 6) to work 10pm to 6am or around 3am for 8 hours.
Don't be surprised if your DTL is soon your former DTL. Word on the loading dock is our DTL was recently fired for suggesting that 5-steps not be done this week and everyone concentrate on just pushing the truck to get as much product to the sales floor as possible. Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated.

It was piloted across the country all of 2018. They chose various store models in various markets. The tested in small format, super, pfresh, single floor, double floors, small volume, large volume. This is that largest structure change in a very long time so they did their research. That being said I’m not agreeing they took all the feedback but they definitely did the research and tested in all options

Are unload start times the same company wide?or are they still dependant on sales? Has anyone taken a double w the new process? I'd think it impossible to take two trucks with a inbound team only scheduled for 4 hours. I'd think it nearly impossible to unload one, push it all, unload the second and get through pp1 of the second even if they gave inbound a full 8 hour shift.

Back