MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I will admit, I'm guilty of this. I think it's a time issue. If I'm not rushed, I'll take the time to find the location where other product is. But with lack of hours, I'm not surprised backstock is such a mess. I don't like doing it, but at least it's located. I'd love to go through and organize everything (or at least my area's aisles) but that would take a year or two.
There's definitely a point where it's too out of control to fix but if it's that bad, I think the time spent on scanning EXFs to pull it all every day would be better spent purging and re-backstocking properly so the backroom would just need maintenance tune-ups as you go. Like, I had my backroom area perfect for a short while and when i was backstocking and found someone else had stowed something in a second waco, I could easily pull and combine it as I went. Remodel came through and destroyed all that, though!

There's definitely a point where it's too out of control to fix but if it's that bad, I think the time spent on scanning EXFs to pull it all every day would be better spent purging and re-backstocking properly so the backroom would just need maintenance tune-ups as you go. Like, I had my backroom area perfect for a short while and when i was backstocking and found someone else had stowed something in a second waco, I could easily pull and combine it as I went. Remodel came through and destroyed all that, though!
The first thing we did when we first started getting ahead of this modernization stuff is we purged the entire back room over the course of 2 weeks. After the purge and backstock, we audited. It started us off on the right foot, and with a clean and mostly empty back room.

The first thing we did when we first started getting ahead of this modernization stuff is we purged the entire back room over the course of 2 weeks. After the purge and backstock, we audited. It started us off on the right foot, and with a clean and mostly empty back room.

Our backroom is packed. Nowhere to purge it, unless we purge it into the compactor. For example, I pushed a type of Tide. The floor is full, but we still have cases and cases in the back. Just one example. I did start on the paper today.

Our backroom is packed. Nowhere to purge it, unless we purge it into the compactor. For example, I pushed a type of Tide. The floor is full, but we still have cases and cases in the back. Just one example. I did start on the paper today.
Suggestion, kill any endcaps that have dual locations. It'll help get alot of stuff out. We have 3 detergent endcaps and theyre always selling.

That's what we're struggling with, we weren't able to get a good purge before this all hit, and since we rolled this out right at the start of Q4 we never got a chance to get ahead. We've been able to do a few aisles here and there, but it's been very difficult to get much done when we have 2k+ peice trucks every day. Tomorrow we have a 1300, which will feel like a non truck day, so my plan is to try and purge all of paper if possible and update it.

That's what we're struggling with, we weren't able to get a good purge before this all hit, and since we rolled this out right at the start of Q4 we never got a chance to get ahead. We've been able to do a few aisles here and there, but it's been very difficult to get much done when we have 2k+ peice trucks every day. Tomorrow we have a 1300, which will feel like a non truck day, so my plan is to try and purge all of paper if possible and update it.
Yeah, we don’t have non truck days, and our average truck is around 2000. A 1300 is a nice break indeed.

So... Who builds bikes during modernization? Because we got a shit ton piled up in the back. It's been in the late 70s and early 80s here recently. Bikes have been on sale but the bike wall is damn near empty.
At my store we used to have someone who would come in once a week for a bike building shift . When he quit our PMT built them for a while. Now we have an electronics TM and a GSA who will occasionally come back to build bikes.

Does anyone know what TL’s will be responsible for once modernization hits? I’ve been told that they will be owning an area, but I thought that’s what sales floor team members were gonna be doing.im just confused at what the difference between them will be

Does anyone know what TL’s will be responsible for once modernization hits? I’ve been told that they will be owning an area, but I thought that’s what sales floor team members were gonna be doing.im just confused at what the difference between them will be
We own the planning, strategy, training, holding team accountable and other stuff of the new "process" we are no longer supposed to jump in and do the work. You drive results through planning and crap. I still help though if I know the workload to big for the team. You supposed be spending your day planning out upcoming pogs/salesplanners, schedules, watching your employees work and coaching when results are not met or you see them not greet a guest. You are to train your team on EVERYTHING but not be given training hours or if you have training hours which other of your departments will you take those hours from. Picture the TL basically like playing a strategy video game and the workers our your in game characters. You have to choose what and when things get updated or researched. You have to conserve resources as they are limited so you need to use them wisely. If you balance everything out you can last long in the video game. If you mess up or kill one of your characters your game may end early. I'm a hands on team lead and I feel like I will be getting in trouble soon if I'm caught helping my team. 😔

We own the planning, strategy, training, holding team accountable and other stuff of the new "process" we are no longer supposed to jump in and do the work. You drive results through planning and crap. I still help though if I know the workload to big for the team. You supposed be spending your day planning out upcoming pogs/salesplanners, schedules, watching your employees work and coaching when results are not met or you see them not greet a guest. You are to train your team on EVERYTHING but not be given training hours or if you have training hours which other of your departments will you take those hours from. Picture the TL basically like playing a strategy video game and the workers our your in game characters. You have to choose what and when things get updated or researched. You have to conserve resources as they are limited so you need to use them wisely. If you balance everything out you can last long in the video game. If you mess up or kill one of your characters your game may end early. I'm a hands on team lead and I feel like I will be getting in trouble soon if I'm caught helping my team. 😔
I’m on the same boat with you. We just can’t get caught!

I'm seriously laughing at the new schedule right now. One day, 6.5 hours. Cool.

Along with the pallets lining the ENTIRE backroom (minus receiving) and making it dangerous to move vehicles through...I can't count how many times I got something stuck last night or had to pick up fallen boxes off the pallets. We can't even backstock furniture because we can't get to the wall at all. I tried to get on the plug wall as much as I could, but it was difficult. This can't be safe.

I don't know how we're going to catch up if we have hours slashed like this. (I'm fine with it, that new schedule has a lot of final projects and things that week, so it works out.)

You'd think there would be time beforehand to train people on price change, setting salesplans, setting revisions, auditing, pulling, creating exf's, and cashiering. But no. There's no time for that before we roll this thing out 100% Monday.

There's no time to push the truck even 75% either. There are still vehicles left from yesterday's truck. ]

No time. No hours. But we have empty spaces and pegs all over the salesfloor.

Why the fuck would you EXF and audit BEFORE pushing the truck? Trailer gets acknowledged, that product should mostly be considered ‘on the floor’ at that point, right? So you have an out, system says 4 on the floor but there aren’t any, so you EXF/audit it, and you pull the batch and get the 3 of that item that you from the back. Then you push your u boats and there’s a casepack of 4 of that very item, and 4 fit. Now you’ve wasted time scanning and pulling and pushing that product that, if you had done truck first, you would have just filled the floor directly.

Am I missing something?

This over everything. I’ve been telling my TL’s and ETLs this for a long time but have heard to do all these things before the store is open. Pretty BASSACKWARDS if you must ask. Everything is being ran buy those who have no understanding of the process. They are telling us to zone and Audit before the store is open and at 8 push freight and auto fills when the store is open? On every account that’s backwards. Let’s mess up the count by premature audits then incovinice the guest with bulky fright in the aisles. That’s practically spot...

You'd think there would be time beforehand to train people on price change, setting salesplans, setting revisions, auditing, pulling, creating exf's, and cashiering. But no. There's no time for that before we roll this thing out 100% Monday.

There's no time to push the truck even 75% either. There are still vehicles left from yesterday's truck. ]

No time. No hours. But we have empty spaces and pegs all over the salesfloor.

Hmmmm I know a way this could be solved. How about when the store is closed? Dammit that’s right... copprate puts that on the same levels as child labor laws sooooo never mind.....
If only there was a way to magically be able to get stuff done before were open... hmmmm

Same exact thing happened to me...

So I've been shopping at our sister store more often because I work closer to it now, and I realized yesterday that I've never once been greeted or even acknowledged by TMs there! Or by TLs/ETLs, some of whom I remember from when they being trained at my store. And this store houses the district offices too, lol.

I sometimes shop at two other Targets depending on where I am doing other errands (both in our district) and I am never greeted. But, to be fair, when I shop at my store on a day off I notice tms don't greet guests as they pass by. I'm a greeter, almost can't help myself, and often have to hold back from smiling and greeting people in other stores 🤷‍♀️, so it makes no sense to me.

I sometimes shop at two other Targets depending on where I am doing other errands (both in our district) and I am never greeted. But, to be fair, when I shop at my store on a day off I notice tms don't greet guests as they pass by. I'm a greeter, almost can't help myself, and often have to hold back from smiling and greeting people in other stores 🤷‍♀️, so it makes no sense to me.

I have never been greeted at my store by people who don't know me or by others at 4 other nearby stores. I don't want help when I'm shopping and I'm sure others don't either. If someone needs help they will ask. That being said, there are times when they were clearly lost and I've asked CIHYFS and generally the item is right in front of them.

This over everything. I’ve been telling my TL’s and ETLs this for a long time but have heard to do all these things before the store is open. Pretty BASSACKWARDS if you must ask. Everything is being ran buy those who have no understanding of the process. They are telling us to zone and Audit before the store is open and at 8 push freight and auto fills when the store is open? On every account that’s backwards. Let’s mess up the count by premature audits then incovinice the guest with bulky fright in the aisles. That’s practically spot...
For clarification, only the system-led suspect item audit is done during the 5 Steps. An item won't populate the system-led suspect item audit if it is on an acknowledged truck. The system-led audit is to check counts that are off in the system (count wise or dollar wise) or because they haven't sold according to company projections. According to 5-Steps, the manual audit is to be done after the truck has been pushed and backstocked. If done this way, the audits are not premature.

For clarification, only the system-led suspect item audit is done during the 5 Steps. An item won't populate the system-led suspect item audit if it is on an acknowledged truck. The system-led audit is to check counts that are off in the system (count wise or dollar wise) or because they haven't sold according to company projections. According to 5-Steps, the manual audit is to be done after the truck has been pushed and backstocked. If done this way, the audits are not premature.

Wow. No inbound tm at my store can even audit yet. No one has said anything. No price change taught. Nothing. And it starts Monday. Seems like they are hell bent on setting people up to fail. They can't even get the push done. There was truck push all over the back room today. But hey, let's pile on more work we haven't trained people on. Seems like a good plan.

Wow. No inbound tm at my store can even audit yet. No one has said anything. No price change taught. Nothing. And it starts Monday. Seems like they are hell bent on setting people up to fail. They can't even get the push done. There was truck push all over the back room today. But hey, let's pile on more work we haven't trained people on. Seems like a good plan.
Kinda late it started company wide April 1st. At my store we have been doing modernization since September 2018

Kinda late it started company wide April 1st. At my store we have been doing modernization since September 2018

All I know is it's all been kept hush hush. But since the signing job is being dissolved, I had my one on one last week. I had to sit and watch a company mouth lie to me. He was full of empty non binding non guarantees and non answers. It was wonderful.

Back