MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
There is a height limit. It is what you can safely see around and productively push. Sorters have to use common sense and know what tm is working the vehicle also. My sorters and DBOs talk about preferences and we all work to keep vehicles reasonable. It only works for the long haul when everyone sees all sides.
Yeah about that height limit... When I started, the sorter for my area was well over 6 feet and had no problem putting repacks 3 high on the top shelf. I am 5'2". Didn't really work for me.
I now have a new sorter who is about 5'5" and understands height issues lol

They gonna make Walmart managers apply for the new positions not just given to them. Also below us pay Info.

Store managers will remain on the top of the structure, with newly created "business leads" ranked under them and "team leads" next in the hierarchy. Business lead salaries will be 10% higher than what assistant store managers currently make and team leads will receive a starting salary of $18 an hour.

The word I heard on here is they are hiring people only to stock shelves for the most part and still have the experts do everything. It will probably be like hiring an assistant to the experts

Will they do the sticking when the store is closed during q4? A like the idea of that, a team that just does stocking. Maybe we could call it the 'flow team'?

Yeah about that height limit... When I started, the sorter for my area was well over 6 feet and had no problem putting repacks 3 high on the top shelf. I am 5'2". Didn't really work for me.
That's when you have to have some tl love. My sorters get the pleasure of working anything that is jacked up and they know it. It evens the playing field and keeps everyone on the right path instead of the easy way out. Anyone who continually complains about their sort also gets to assist with an unload to see the other side. Cuts down on a lot of finger pointing from both sides.

The stores out there that have transition teams.(transition experts) What does your store do in sales a year? Also do you still have a lead that is over transition or does the Gm in charge of the area plan the transition?? Thanks in advance

The stores out there that have transition teams.(transition experts) What does your store do in sales a year? Also do you still have a lead that is over transition or does the Gm in charge of the area plan the transition?? Thanks in advance
GM 2 lead in our store has transitions and an area in hardlines. He still sorts and passes out regular work but only plans and participates in major transition. We're over $40 million.

i don't know what we made last year, but we have a transition team that's made up of our former plano peeps and our former pptl (who is now one of the gms of hardlines, idr the name of her exact area) is in charge of it.

There is a height limit. It is what you can safely see around and productively push. Sorters have to use common sense and know what tm is working the vehicle also. My sorters and DBOs talk about preferences and we all work to keep vehicles reasonable. It only works for the long haul when everyone sees all sides.

We were told the "official" stacking height for U boats is around the top of the side bar. Of course that is a joke most days since that means you would only put one box height on the top shelf. Most days ours are double and sometimes triple on really big trucks. The same height applies to any flats used also, which usually gets packed too.

Yeah, that’s definitely how it works. I am the GM2 at my store and was the POG and Pricing Team Lead for 5 years before this. I think how much you control beyond major transitions is heavily based on your revenue (we’re well above 40 mil too), and honestly, how your Store Director feels about the rest of the teams. I still control all POGs, Home, Mini and Seasonal, and Stationary too. Revisions and SPs are supposed to be controlled by the leaders and team members in other areas, but that’s still a massive work in progress.

My crews are still trying to get everyone up to speed because there was absolutely no training, and most of the people we’re teaching can barely handle pushing and backstocking, let alone a complicated revision or POG. It’s giving me a serious headache.

Yeah, that’s definitely how it works. I am the GM2 at my store and was the POG and Pricing Team Lead for 5 years before this. I think how much you control beyond major transitions is heavily based on your revenue (we’re well above 40 mil too), and honestly, how your Store Director feels about the rest of the teams. I still control all POGs, Home, Mini and Seasonal, and Stationary too. Revisions and SPs are supposed to be controlled by the leaders and team members in other areas, but that’s still a massive work in progress.

My crews are still trying to get everyone up to speed because there was absolutely no training, and most of the people we’re teaching can barely handle pushing and backstocking, let alone a complicated revision or POG. It’s giving me a serious headache.
Join the club! I too am GM2. I feel like a yoyo because they (SD/ETL HR/ETL GM) are not on the same page as to my schedule. It's been 6am one week and then 8am the following. I can understand the Presentation Experts starting at 8am but there have been times I need that first 2 hours to do planning or putting out fires from the weekend or the day before. We too are struggling with training GM Experts for each area. All they have known is to push freight. Deer in headlights explains the team members at my store. It will take time. A LOT OF TIME!
My area is exactly what it says in the OP Model for GMTL2. We just set paper last week and I made sure since it's part of my dedicated area that I had new label strip holders installed, adhesive dividers between items to help with zone, etc...I thought, Why not?!😏😉

I must admit I’m guilty of this. It all goes back to lack of uboats though. I’m well over 6 foot and sometimes resort to overstacking but I will be much more mindful now

In my store pricing is way behind. Backroom is starting to unravel, team isn’t adapting to doing 5things at once and the list goes on. I can’t wait until back to school and 4th qtr happens to see this thing implode.

In my store pricing is way behind. Backroom is starting to unravel, team isn’t adapting to doing 5things at once and the list goes on. I can’t wait until back to school and 4th qtr happens to see this thing implode.

Grocery and softlines has not been green in price change in months....last shift I checked there was over 5000 in price change with hardlines being the only one complete.

Pricing issues are messy with the new system. It's improving with audits.

Has anyone else noticed a shift where in the beginning of the new payroll month they load up hours and at the end there is nothing. Before at least at my store it was opposite no hours at first then suddenly we need to burn 400hrs at the end
If your store makes sales you get more hours to burn at the end. If your store is missing sales you have more at the beginning and lose throughout the month as you miss sales.

Ice cream and single serve pogs next week...wtf!? 44 hour transition for just 2 pogs. And my hr didn’t schedule anyone with me that has set frozen before.
wow we just set the ice cream back wall took all day Thursday, 8 hours for 2 team members. The rest of the freezer pogs will be done next week with 2 Consumable team members. that means 2 less consumable team members pushing trucks.

wow just set the ice cream back wall. The rest of the freezer dogs will be done next week with 2 Consumable team members. that means 2 less consumable team members pushing trucks.

We just moved one of our pog team members to market but she was told she's not doing any revisions or pogs or price change until further notice. But she got a decent amount of hours next week. Something tells me they stole the pog hours for the reset and are just using them for dry market push. Hope no one wants to buy ice cream, pizza, or single serve meals over the next few weeks. Once the current pogs drop out of the system because the new ones haven't been tied yet, it will stop auto-replenishing from the backroom. Gonna look damn empty!

Last edited:
Join the club! I too am GM2. I feel like a yoyo because they (SD/ETL HR/ETL GM) are not on the same page as to my schedule. It's been 6am one week and then 8am the following. I can understand the Presentation Experts starting at 8am but there have been times I need that first 2 hours to do planning or putting out fires from the weekend or the day before. We too are struggling with training GM Experts for each area. All they have known is to push freight. Deer in headlights explains the team members at my store. It will take time. A LOT OF TIME!
My area is exactly what it says in the OP Model for GMTL2. We just set paper last week and I made sure since it's part of my dedicated area that I had new label strip holders installed, adhesive dividers between items to help with zone, etc...I thought, Why not?!😏😉

That was a smart move with paper. I honestly think one of the more aggravating things I deal with is walking by an area I just set a week ago... and seeing it start to dissolve into junk again. Speaking of paper, I had to remove an entire pallet of paper that some rocket scientist had flexed across two aisles ( it wasn’t transition and should have been about 6 facings on one aisle only), and then pull a gigantic flat of what we should have already had out there in the first place that was just collecting dust in the back. These are simple things that just blow my mind. These are the people I’m going to teach to own an area?!? My STL also seems to be having difficulty with who owns what areas. There have been quite a few “adjustments” that have been deemed better fits from what the Modernization manual had for specific leader areas of ownership. Thankfully, most of my crews are in all the areas I’m controlling and I can count on most of them to be fairly autonomous. I still feel like a walking bandaid being used to cover holes in a giant dam most of the time. At least Pets is over, that was fun with all the adjacency changes🤦🏻‍♂️

GM TL departments not assigned for us yet. I’m wishing upon the stars every night to NOT get HBA/chemicals ! Any other pretty o.k. Since grocery is already locked up with the GM food lead, whew, dodged that one !

Anyone PREFER a particular dept ? Anyone given the opportunity to choose ? I would choose check lanes, Bullsye, Seasonal.

Back