MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
As a whole payroll shouldn’t go down. Just allocated differently. The problem is, being a new process, and people learning it, stuff takes longer to do at first until people become proficient. Also, time is spent training and teaching the process. So at least initially, it does feel like there’s less hours. Also, it will take some time for stores to figure out how to allocate everything so the most gets done.

I don't know if you are quoting that from a guide, make the schedule at your store and actually see they are equal, or are just guessing or just repeating what you've been told.

I'll give you an example why you are wrong. Before modernization: I was the signing person. I didn't get 40 hours a week, but I got between 10 and 16. After modernization: 0 hours. I don't see anyone doing signing because those hours were kept. No one to do overheads. No one to break down the pallets.

My old pptl, now the gm2 tl, is trying to get some hours for me to breakdown the incoming pallets and sort it between areas. Also time to do overheads.

I don't know if you are quoting that from a guide, make the schedule at your store and actually see they are equal, or are just guessing or just repeating what you've been told.

I'll give you an example why you are wrong. Before modernization: I was the signing person. I didn't get 40 hours a week, but I got between 10 and 16. After modernization: 0 hours. I don't see anyone doing signing because those hours were kept. No one to do overheads. No one to break down the pallets.

My old pptl, now the gm2 tl, is trying to get some hours for me to breakdown the incoming pallets and sort it between areas. Also time to do overheads.
Your hours were reallocated to the depts and the depts are not doing their signing. That’s on the store and the team. The hours are still there. They just aren’t set aside for signing specifically.

Stores get X amount of payroll hours to use in a week. From there it gets broken down by departments (ex: log) and then refined again (ex: revlog, ff, inbound) until the hours are spent the way Corporate seems acceptable.

Once the schedules are keyed in the SD has to approve them and for now the District Leaders and some BPs are even auditing them to make sure stores are complying or on track to be fully Modernized on time. Every store is getting there at their own pace and the food chain knows this.

So while there might not be hours dedicated to Signing anymore, those hours didn’t dissolve. Your store is still getting the payroll hours but they are being used to support Modernization. I am sorry that they haven’t been giving you time to get any signing done, that’ll have to fall on them when they get a visit and can’t explain why it’s not.

Is anyone else getting a renovation in their beauty section? A sign just went up in my store saying its being renovated and it looks like there will be a TV display or something in this area. To be clear, my store already had the full renovation last year or the year before

I've heard our managers talk about losing hours. They're getting slashed and slashed and I'm hearing that they're getting told they need to cut even more.

Hours are being cut across the board for everyone...unless your store is doing "well enough" I guess. Whatever that means anymore.

Surprise visit at my store today. Or at least I think it was a surprise as we had a couple vehicles of rollover from yesterday which made the unload difficult

How’s everyone adapting to mod! Still working out the kinks ....
Of course I'm being sarcastic, BUT isn't that why they piloted this OP Model in all different prototypes all over the US? And we're still working out the kinks?! Seriously! Biggest thing for us is not having is enough payroll to successfully finish truck and then to segue into our "Dedicated Areas." You can look at it anyway you want but without the payroll or the fully trained people in place with fully trained back up people, we are running around like chickens with our heads cut off! Ok, now I'm really being sarcastic!

This “Area Owner” stuff is so silly. At my store we have to do pulls now. So I went from being a normal flow worker to answering phones, cashiering, backstocking, and now they want us to do the pulls too since the backroom has been dissolved. ALL IN 5 - 6 hours!! Anything less than full-time isn’t enough to do all that!

I won’t make it through the summer. It’s been fun, guys.

Last edited:
It's really strange that they aren't throwing money at stores right now to get modernization implemented and working. I could understand if they gave TMs hours right now, got them efficient at their new roles, and then cut hours backs. That would be a workable, albeit malicious, corporate plan. Cutting hours and expecting the efficiency to just happen is magical thinking.

It's really strange that they aren't throwing money at stores right now to get modernization implemented and working. I could understand if they gave TMs hours right now, got them efficient at their new roles, and then cut hours backs. That would be a workable, albeit malicious, corporate plan. Cutting hours and expecting the efficiency to just happen is magical thinking.
It’s like they want to push old TMs out the door. A lot of us would gladly do all of this if they gave us more hours. There are people at my store who’s been there a decade, and still don’t get 40 hours a week. I’m going on my 5th year. They keep saying $15 an hour, but that’s not a livable wage when you’re averaging 20 hours a week.

And everyone knows this. Once I quit I’ll probably never step foot inside a Target again, or I’ll wait until a massive going out of business sale 😂

It’s like they want to push old TMs out the door.

Yes, but even then it's a nonsensical plan. First, give the old TMs hours to make it work, then start cutting. They will start to leave for greener pastures. However, they won't all leave at once. Some will still be available to train the replacements. Eventually, all the old TMs will be gone and the first replacements then train the last replacements. Then, you would have achieved your nefarious goals.

Pushing out the old TMs first makes things more difficult on yourself.

Yes, but even then it's a nonsensical plan. First, give the old TMs hours to make it work, then start cutting. They will start to leave for greener pastures. However, they won't all leave at once. Some will still be available to train the replacements. Eventually, all the old TMs will be gone and the first replacements then train the last replacements. Then, you would have achieved your nefarious goals.

Pushing out the old TMs first makes things more difficult on yourself.
But this doesn't make it so next quarter's shares go up up up. No one cares about shares next year or five years from now.

Back