MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m a former backroom TL who was moved to Inbound, given keys, annnnnd as part of the GM I’m in charge of all of domestics, decor, beds, storage, and seasonal. I have 4 DBO’s and our trucks avg around 2000+. Now on top of that every endcap is resetting along with revisions. pC is behind both sales floor and backroom. Long story short you GM’s who run inbound how are you holding up?
Going insane just like you are 😂 And we have an added truck.

Yes for my area “ food and beverage”
Every day at huddle our lead and leader go over this. Ask if anyone knows our sales goal for today or what we did for yesterday
I hate to be a jerk about it, but seriously, how does knowing the sales goal make a difference to the average TM? It doesn't. You can tell me that A&A's goal is a grand or a million, and it's not going to change how I do my job one whit. That is something a TL or above should know. We folks in the trenches do not have time to worry about sales goals and comps. We have crap to do. Not trying to be negative, because I do like my job, but when corporate puts this kind of stuff on the regular folks, it just irks me. It's nice that I make more than minimum wage, but you still are not paying me enough to act like I'm Leadership and to do things that IMO should fall on their shoulders. I have three carts piled high with reshop to sort and my zone is a disaster, so how about YOU look up our sales goal and let me know while I fold this pile of t shirts?

Last edited:
My store was told they can't use the Audit function anymore because the BRLA % was too poor. I was absolutely stunned.
First, that no one thought having every TM in the building doing backstock after 2 minutes of training wouldn't negatively impact the accuracy? Seriously???
And second... no one cares about filling the shelves? SFQ capacity is beyond fucked in so many areas, and the only way my store was allowed to fill the shelves was to check for each item and go manually pull them individually... which meant no one filled anything. Ever.

I got called out for shopping for myself out of the backroom because we hadn't had things like cat litter or food on the shelves in weeks.
Then I just started bringing a jacket and shopping at Walmart on the way home. I assume a lot of our guests will eventually do so, as well.
I have pulled stuff from the back that I wanted to buy as well. Delocated a bunch, took what I wanted and filled the shelf with the rest, all the while shaking my head, lol.

I hate to be a jerk about it, but seriously, how does knowing the sales goal make a difference to the average TM? It doesn't. You can tell me that A&A's goal is a grand or a million, and it's not going to change how I do my job one whit. That is something a TL or above show know. We folks in the trenches do not have time to worry about sales goals and comps. We have crap to do. Not trying to be negative, because I do like my job, but when corporate puts this kind of stuff on the regular folks, it just irks me. It's nice that I make more than minimum wage, but you still are not paying me enough to act like I'm Leadership and to do things that IMO should fall on their shoulders. I have three carts piled high with reshop to sort and my zone is a disaster, so how about YOU look up our sales goal and let me know while I fold this pile of t shirts?

Different position and I don't have a sales goal, but I find it useful to know sales numbers. It can help when dealing with unreasonable requests from leadership. "Hey, seasonaldude, when you're between picks can you do [thing that is not your job or your department's job]?" Can be responded to with "I'm comping over 500% week to date and today's order volume is heavy enough that we're currently projected for 300% of forecasted units. Not a lot of time between picks. But sure if things slow down and I get all of my stuff cleaned up, I'll see if I can get to that," makes it so I don't hear from that particular lead about foisting their team's tasks onto me for awhile.

Knowing how you're comping and why is really helpful in setting task goals and prioritizing tasks after determining why you're up or down or stagnant. If you can't figure that out, you're probably not the best choice for a DBO.

Meh. I know what I need to do to boost sales. I see what is selling, so I know to keep an eye on those items/aisles/Pogs. In my area, by being full, zoned, and in-stock, my sales should go up.

Not rocket science.

I could see it being useful for Softlines.... Maybe an area that is not zoned well, or stocked in all sizes is performing poorly. Or a tm can boost sales by putting together a Visual Presentation that helps make it easy for guests to create a "look."

Last edited:
I have pulled stuff from the back that I wanted to buy as well. Delocated a bunch, took what I wanted and filled the shelf with the rest, all the while shaking my head, lol.

If you know something is located in the back and not on the shelf, just do an OPU. That's what I do and I'm OPU. Kind of fun picking my own orders.

Knowing how you're comping and why is really helpful in setting task goals and prioritizing tasks after determining why you're up or down or stagnant. If you can't figure that out, you're probably not the best choice for a DBO.
Don't forget while your setting those goals and tasks up in your 4 hour shift you must...zone,reshop all day, exf, do your pulls, set sales planners, do revisions, guest service, actively sell, show the guest joy in everyday life, back up at the lanes, help do carry outs, help with OPU, own your backroom aisle, create a ladderless backroom, make bales, do your price change, do a sweep, check in vendors, take a 15 minute break... I almost forgot to say work your truck freight and back stock.

Now maybe if you can't achieve all that, your not a very good DBO either.

Don't forget while your setting those goals and tasks up in your 4 hour shift you must...zone,reshop all day, exf, do your pulls, set sales planners, do revisions, guest service, actively sell, show the guest joy in everyday life, back up at the lanes, help do carry outs, help with OPU, own your backroom aisle, create a ladderless backroom, make bales, do your price change, do a sweep, check in vendors, take a 15 minute break... I almost forgot to say work your truck freight and back stock.

Now maybe if you can't achieve all that, your not a very good DBO either.
Half that shits not on my assignment sheet.
Never seen make a bale on my sheet.

If TMs are going to be responsible for setting task goals, what is the point of TLs or ETLs then.

I hate to be a jerk about it, but seriously, how does knowing the sales goal make a difference to the average TM? It doesn't. You can tell me that A&A's goal is a grand or a million, and it's not going to change how I do my job one whit. That is something a TL or above show know. We folks in the trenches do not have time to worry about sales goals and comps. We have crap to do. Not trying to be negative, because I do like my job, but when corporate puts this kind of stuff on the regular folks, it just irks me. It's nice that I make more than minimum wage, but you still are not paying me enough to act like I'm Leadership and to do things that IMO should fall on their shoulders. I have three carts piled high with reshop to sort and my zone is a disaster, so how about YOU look up our sales goal and let me know while I fold this pile of t shirts?
I check it just because one of my team leads is always asking, trying to catch me not knowing, it's annoying, honestly

Meh. I know what I need to do to boost sales. I see what is selling, so I know to keep an eye on those items/aisles/Pogs. In my area, by being full, zoned, and in-stock, my sales should go up.

Not rocket science.

I could see it being useful for Softlines.... Maybe an area that is not zoned well, or stocked in all sizes is performing poorly. Or a tm can boost sales by putting together a Visual Presentation that helps make it easy for guests to create a "look."

Putting together a "look" without following the VMG would get you written up at my store. TMs get called out all the time for not having fixture blocking exactly like the paperwork... despite the fact that the floorpad doesn't match the size and shape of the VMG one in the slightest.
Upper management hates the "style" department, is angry every time they're forced to walk with the team, and has absolutely zero idea what they're talking about.
Sales numbers aren't that useful for softlines other than seeing you were 300% up on tank tops yesterday, and you'll be down the rest of the month because there's nothing in the back, and no replenishment coming. You're far better off just walking your section and your backroom.

Just learned today...

2 TMs are retiring, 3 have quit, and this is just people I know from the list.

The latter includes the actual store manager, (SD? I don't remember the new terms), who was apparently so scarred by this experience that she left retail altogether.

Days were randomly added this week to everyone else's schedule due to "all these people" (as the guy who told me said) quitting.

Seems most people have been moved to mids this week, I am all mids next week.

Putting together a "look" without following the VMG would get you written up at my store. TMs get called out all the time for not having fixture blocking exactly like the paperwork... despite the fact that the floorpad doesn't match the size and shape of the VMG one in the slightest.
Upper management hates the "style" department, is angry every time they're forced to walk with the team, and has absolutely zero idea what they're talking about.
Sales numbers aren't that useful for softlines other than seeing you were 300% up on tank tops yesterday, and you'll be down the rest of the month because there's nothing in the back, and no replenishment coming. You're far better off just walking your section and your backroom.
Yeah, ever since brand TMs stopped being a thing, TMs can't just move stuff around at my store especially since our TLs are usually working with the VM to do adjacencies. Mens is part of my zone and with the remodel we lost so many quads/convertibles that we have mountains of new mens clothes in the back, I just told the ETL about it and she said that she would try to find room for it next adjacency.

All I really can do is make sure my tables/racks are filled, but still shoppable.

Yeah, ever since brand TMs stopped being a thing, TMs can't just move stuff around at my store especially since our TLs are usually working with the VM to do adjacencies. Mens is part of my zone and with the remodel we lost so many quads/convertibles that we have mountains of new mens clothes in the back, I just told the ETL about it and she said that she would try to find room for it next adjacency.

All I really can do is make sure my tables/racks are filled, but still shoppable.

Yup, we were clearancing SO MUCH stuff out of the back. Partly stuff that never got restocked due to the "2 of each size" rule and no one ever having time to rework the backstock, but also in Mens/Performance/Wild Fable there was just so little room compared to the VMG in the first place, and the VMGs not calling for half the product we had on hand on top of it... entire size runs of stuff just ended up in the backroom their entire life cycle. It feels like a really shitty way to run things, especially since Flex and OPU don't look in the SL stockroom. And the stockroom was so full it was literally being hung from the ceiling, and there was honestly no way a TM could find an individual item without a lot of hardship.

Just learned today...

2 TMs are retiring, 3 have quit, and this is just people I know from the list.

The latter includes the actual store manager, (SD? I don't remember the new terms), who was apparently so scarred by this experience that she left retail altogether.

Days were randomly added this week to everyone else's schedule due to "all these people" (as the guy who told me said) quitting.

Seems most people have been moved to mids this week, I am all mids next week.

Target needs to get their shit in order, not just with the expectations, but with these mids, or there's going to be hell to pay by Q4.
There is not a single soul in my market, or markets like mine, that is willing to work a middle of the day shift like that, for a job that gives them 20 hours or less a week.
Even the full time employees are quitting over it. I still don't think a single ETL at my last store works a mid-shift, and the SD (who I'm sure is furiously job hunting, given how over it he is in front of the TMs) was too afraid to push it, because they didn't know what to do if we started losing those people.

Setting task goals, prioritizing tasks? My task goals are process reshop, push reshop, zone. And help guests, of course. The order in which they are done is determined by what area needs the most attention, or whatever the LOD says. These are tasks that need to be done every single shift, and sales numbers have no bearing. I realize that other TMs may have more responsibilities than I do and perhaps knowing goals may help them.

for those of you new to the process or getting screwed. If you are scheduled 4 hours under OP model you should speak to your HR. 7 hours is Target's minimum per shift in this model they specifically state you cant get the job done with less. Target has the right idea and seems to understand things, its people in the store that don't know what they are doing. There is a reason why U.S has so much credit dept, nobody knows how to balance a checkbook here

Back