MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Meh. I know what I need to do to boost sales. I see what is selling, so I know to keep an eye on those items/aisles/Pogs. In my area, by being full, zoned, and in-stock, my sales should go up.

Not rocket science.

I could see it being useful for Softlines.... Maybe an area that is not zoned well, or stocked in all sizes is performing poorly. Or a tm can boost sales by putting together a Visual Presentation that helps make it easy for guests to create a "look."
its not just about seeing what is selling in your area. Yea i can tell u that i see a guest always pick up an xbox and tell u that is the seller, or I can tell u we are always out of something so it must sell! how do i know we arent just limited in stock. Also target wants more than just raw sales numbers from a DBO, they want you to know your guest shopping trends and they want u to sell high margin items. Softlines could be selling much less than GM but their margins are HUGE, Home and decor is the next largest so they make target far more money. You need all those figures including goals to be able to speak to your sales, like someone that actually knows their area more than just seeing what a guest grabs and assuming its the seller.

for those of you new to the process or getting screwed. If you are scheduled 4 hours under OP model you should speak to your HR. 7 hours is Target's minimum per shift in this model they specifically state you cant get the job done with less. Target has the right idea and seems to understand things, its people in the store that don't know what they are doing. There is a reason why U.S has so much credit dept, nobody knows how to balance a checkbook here
Most people in my area are still getting 4 - 4.5 hr shifts. They must be rolling things out verrrry slowly here.

Last edited:
for those of you new to the process or getting screwed. If you are scheduled 4 hours under OP model you should speak to your HR. 7 hours is Target's minimum per shift in this model they specifically state you cant get the job done with less. Target has the right idea and seems to understand things, its people in the store that don't know what they are doing. There is a reason why U.S has so much credit dept, nobody knows how to balance a checkbook here

We have a toys DBO working 14 hour weeks and a bedding DBO working 6 days to get 24 hours.

Electronics has 4 people working every day, but everyone just works 4 hour shifts. 8-12, 12-4, 4-8, 7-11.

Pretty sure my store didn't get the memo.

Well it might 7 hour min. to make it work but it's 4-5 hour shifts to make thier bonus.

Flex and OPU don't look in the SL stockroom.

I look while cursing you out in my head for not having your stuff on the floor or in an actual backroom location. But I do always use the RFID gun and scan the backroom aisle where something is supposed to be before INFing. I've been over this time and time again with our Style TL. I have half an hour, but that doesn't mean I have half an hour to look for every item. The more often I have to run to the back to find softlines the less time I have to properly search for other items in the other orders in my queue. So, get the salesfloor replenished more regularly before bitching at OPU. If an item is in the back and not on the floor that also means that guests can't find it to buy it. Style's job is to get that floor replenished as necessary. OPU's job is to pick the items from the floor and try to find the items elsewhere on the what should be rare occassions when style hasn't had time to do their job.

Last edited:
Mids are for people with no life. It’s summer give us mornings please. No one wants to work 11 am to 7 pm.

I would have loved that schedule in my younger days (when summer actually meant something). Nothing fun ever really happened before 9, so that would give me plenty of time to go home, get a shower and go out.. and I could sleep til 10, while getting full time hours.

I would have loved that schedule in my younger days (when summer actually meant something). Nothing fun ever really happened before 9, so that would give me plenty of time to go home, get a shower and go out.. and I could sleep til 10, while getting full time hours.
Back in the day I loved midshifts for the same reasons, full time hours, still had time to enjoy your evenings and could sleep late. I guess it depends on if one is a night owl.

I look while cursing you out in my head for not having your stuff on the floor or in an actual backroom location. But I do always use the RFID gun and scan the backroom aisle where something is supposed to be before INFing. I've been over this time and time again with our Style TL. I have half an hour, but that doesn't mean I have half an hour to look for every item. The more often I have to run to the back to find softlines the less time I have to properly search for other items in the other orders in my queue. So, get the salesfloor replenished more regularly before bitching at OPU. If an item is in the back and not on the floor that also means that guests can't find it to buy it. Style's job is to get that floor replenished as necessary. OPU's job is to pick the items from the floor and try to find the items elsewhere on the what should be rare occassions when style hasn't had time to do their job.

I'm assuming you read the rest of my post instead of just getting mad at the part you quoted. It's not good for the BUSINESS, not just one subset of it, to not have product on the floor... but there's absolutely no way the TMs can complete their freight, their revisions, their VMGs, their price changes, deal with the Fitting Room disaster, zone, backstock, and work their backstock in a 4 hour shift 3-4 times a week.
Yeah, our Flex team INFs stuff if it's in the backroom, and no one blames them, because everyone knows - even if they're not allowed to talk about it - that these expectations and these hours DO NOT WORK.

Minimum of 7 hours???? Are you shitting me? My unload team gets 4.75 to unload and do the DBO duties which is laughable. IF someone (SD) is feeling generous they get 6 hours. We average 2100 piece trucks 7 days a week and a good day is finishing the truck around 8:30. I'm in a space restrained backroom/receiving area and have been to 30 u boats is enough for the truck. Reality is we never have ALL 30 free to use. Next week my team is schedule 2 hours to complete the truck...no excuses. Has anyone done a 2100 or larger truck in 2 hours? Enlighten me please

Has anyone done a 2100 or larger truck in 2 hours? Enlighten me please

Of course we have. We did it every day for years. The secret is having more people on the line and stacking out pallets.

Oh wait, you meant under the new process.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

But seriously, no. It takes our guys almost the full 4 to unload our 2800pcs. Though after reading that a lot of you guys are getting it done in shorter time, I wonder if they aren't milking it since they get sent home right after unless there's a sweep. Though I don't know, I worked the line for a while under this new process, even threw the truck for a few weeks. It seemed like about 3hrs was the best we could have hoped for.

We are only getting the 4 hour shifts at my store as well. Certain people are getting longer, and it's starting to really annoy the rest of us. I'm keeping up with my autos, labels, push, and my section is just about all filled out as I audit and adjust things. But I have so much clearance in the backroom that I haven't had time to get to. When I bust my ass to leave myself an hour or so to ticket and push I get sent to support another department. Or surprise! We have this uboat full of backstock that we didn't tell you about. Today I found transition merch flexed into one of my aisles, I'm sure it's the person doing the repacks for our block. She's nice, but she doesn't speak English very well and she is big on going over capacity and flexing. Which is making me apeshit because I'm trying to make my aisles look nice.

Ok so, I am in a pilot store. There's no more GSA's, so how are we supposed to figure out our breaks, and handle change, if we run low on money? I asked my store manager and they tippy toed around my question. So basically, am I going to be my own GSA, and have keys to the money?

Ok so, I am in a pilot store. There's no more GSA's, so how are we supposed to figure out our breaks, and handle change, if we run low on money? I asked my store manager and they tippy toed around my question. So basically, am I going to be my own GSA, and have keys to the money?
You are not in the pilot... Welcome to the brave New world of MODERNIZATION

Not sure what is going on at my store. I'm a Gen. Merch TM, and I've been doing toys for a couple months now. I usually get 5 hr shifts, 25/week ish (with the occasional 7-8 shift thrown in), so sometimes a little more. I come in, spend maybe 35 min doing toy reshop, whilst trying to do an ultra fast touch up zone, even tho toys is a disaster. Then the rest of my 4.5 hrs, (minus my 15), is spent on toy push. I usually have 3-5 uboats of push. These vehicles are usually so overstacked, sometimes over 7 ft high with boxes. I'm about 5'3". If I can get through 3, including doing all of my backstock (and fixing overpush from whomever pushes toys on my days off), I'm happy. So far, I've not done anything else, no price change, no salesplanners, no signing. There wouldn't be time. I try to audit, and EXF to fix on floor/capacity counts when I can, but again, not always time every shift to bother. I have my name on the aisle sign for toy 2 in the backroom aisles. So, I'm guessing I'm eventually goign to be the toy DBO...or something? A gen merch team lead also has his name for toy 1 and 3. Our toy 2 backroom aisles are getting really maxed out. There's not much time to try n 12 step them, to remove unlocated items etc...I think they're having a former ship/backroom tm do pulls, but doesn't seem like its very often.

Also, what is it that people have against backstocking? It is getting really irritating when I come back after a day off, and I have to fix all the overpush everywhere. Personally, I prefer backstocking. Gets me off the floor away from having to interact with guests, its faster....everything is in 1 or 2 aisles in the back...so its quicker....I don't get it. It's less work!

Last edited:
Basically everyone at the front is supposed to know how to do everything (cashier, SCO, OPU, DU, open & close the lanes, price match, etc). So, yes you could/should be able to get your own change.

With that said, your store's leadership needs to be willing to invest in training everyone one and your peers need to be competent enough to learn everything with next to no training. My store failed at this. My store's GSAs are flying the coop so... it's kind of a mess.

Not sure what is going on at my store. I'm a Gen. Merch TM, and I've been doing toys for a couple months now. I usually get 5 hr shifts, 25/week ish (with the occasional 7-8 shift thrown in), so sometimes a little more. I come in, spend maybe 35 min doing toy reshop, whilst trying to do an ultra fast touch up zone, even tho toys is a disaster. Then the rest of my 4.5 hrs, (minus my 15), is spent on toy push. I usually have 3-5 uboats of push. These vehicles are usually so overstacked, sometimes over 7 ft high with boxes. I'm about 5'3". If I can get through 3, including doing all of my backstock (and fixing overpush from whomever pushes toys on my days off), I'm happy. So far, I've not done anything else, no price change, no salesplanners, no signing. There wouldn't be time. I try to audit, and EXF to fix on floor/capacity counts when I can, but again, not always time every shift to bother. I have my name on the aisle sign for toy 2 in the backroom aisles. So, I'm guessing I'm eventually goign to be the toy DBO...or something? A gen merch team lead also has his name for toy 1 and 3. Our toy 2 backroom aisles are getting really maxed out. There's not much time to try n 12 step them, to remove unlocated items etc...I think they're having a former ship/backroom tm do pulls, but doesn't seem like its very often.

Also, what is it that people have against backstocking? It is getting really irritating when I come back after a day off, and I have to fix all the overpush everywhere. Personally, I prefer backstocking. Gets me off the floor away from having to interact with guests, its faster....everything is in 1 or 2 aisles in the back...so its quicker....I don't get it. It's less work!

Unless you're backstocking everything without working it, it's not at all faster. You've already opened the box, worked some of the items, and now you have to find somewhere on your overstocked Uboat to put the remainders and then go back to the backroom afterwards?
It's much faster to just stuff them all somewhere and never go to the backroom at all. Especially if you're in a store that's blessed with slow wifi, because then the MyWork app having to switch to a second screen for some reason to backstock an item can eat a considerable amount of time over multiple items.

Unless you're backstocking everything without working it, it's not at all faster. You've already opened the box, worked some of the items, and now you have to find somewhere on your overstocked Uboat to put the remainders and then go back to the backroom afterwards?
It's much faster to just stuff them all somewhere and never go to the backroom at all. Especially if you're in a store that's blessed with slow wifi, because then the MyWork app having to switch to a second screen for some reason to backstock an item can eat a considerable amount of time over multiple items.
Your crazy if the General Merch TMs just flex all of their push whether its from truck autofills etc without backstocking it will fuck up the counts and also what happens if the guest randomly puts it somewhere in the store thats lost forever who will be responsible? Making us Fulfillment Expert job harder.

It's possible that not always making sure that your counts and capacities are correct is contributing to your over push problem. Inaccurate floor counts can lead to bigger pulls. Whoever is doing the pulls might just be pushing everything out as opposed to rebackstocking what they just pulled out. Could also just be whoever is pushing truck on your off days too. How big the pulls are and how much of it doesn't go out on the floor is something that my store's GM TLs watch closely. They walk a section to look for overstocking and then if the DBO is bringing back lots of their pulls they know other stuff isn't getting done in the section.

It's really nice for the DBOs too. Those who take the time to get their counts right have much smaller pulls to do and very little of it is backstock. It doesn't take them as long to do it, they get less product on the truck that they don't need, and that's how they have time to do the five bazillion other things they're supposed to be doing.

It should be whoever is running self-checkout

Your crazy if the General Merch TMs just flex all of their push whether its from truck autofills etc without backstocking it will fuck up the counts and also what happens if the guest randomly puts it somewhere in the store thats lost forever who will be responsible? Making us Fulfillment Expert job harder.

Of course it's the wrong thing to do for so many reasons, but there's a damn good reason TMs do it instead of having to take more time running to backstock things - no one's given adequate time to do things properly.
The only way to even come close to not getting coached every single shift a GM or Style TM works is to cut corners. That means putting things in the wrong spots, overfilling, not working backstock, backstocking things without working them, putting RTS clothing back on the wrong hangers, ignoring guests entirely, ignoring calls and backups, activating price changes without stickering or labeling, tying revisions without actually setting them, not taking time to scan in backstock properly, etc.
These are all terrible things for the store, and sometimes other teams, but they're all things going on on a daily basis because TMs are desperately trying to look like they're getting their work done while knowing that they don't have time to do half of what needs to be done.
Blame Target's unacceptable expectations versus payroll for what's going wrong, not the TMs; are there shitty TMs? Of course. And there's going to be a hell of a lot more when all the good ones are able to find jobs that treat them better and don't give them lousy hours. But that's just it - Target is NOT invested in retaining good talent right now, AT ALL, and even a good TM is going to quickly get tired of being "coached" every single shift for something that's impossible.

Back