MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's how it "should" be.

However, Spot doesn't want it's leadership to lead by example, you know tasking. Just lead by walking around observing and telling TMs to either work faster or finish up your 4 hour shift is done.
Our tls are told they should never work alone. Always work along side their experts.

Somewhat related to this recent discussion. I had a long talk with one of my SETLs last week. He was on me for not having GM cover my breaks. (This is a recurring theme with him: get GM to cover your breaks so you can take a full 15 at once.) I told him to walk around the salesfloor. Look at all the empty shelves and pegs. They're probably about 6-7% of the floor locations right now. Then, go to the back and see all the product sitting on vehicles. That shit could fill the floor a little more. But, GM doesn't have the time to push it. The result is that sales are down. We aren't making them this month when previously we always made them easily. INFs have suddenly skyrocketed. Goal Time Approaching for OPUs is constant because everytime I have to go try to find something in the back, it puts me behind on the next orders. So, while yes, I do have the right to demand that GM covers my breaks, I'm really better off giving them the extra half hour a day to get their own shit done. That's a U-boat of baby food that would not otherwise get pushed or a half-dozen repacks of back to school.

Relating GM not having time to do their shit to sales and OPU metrics drove home the point to that SETL. He's actually been much better at not calling for backup cashiers since then. I get it, we need cashiers. Our front end is a hot mess when we're short even one. It's not exactly fun being at the front end at those times. But, the store as a whole absolutely needs the sales floor to get its shit done. Product needs to be on the shelves. That means that calls for backup at the front, including OPU, need to be at an absolute minimum because corporate isn't giving GM the payroll it needs to function under modernization. If Karen has to wait 5 minutes longer to checkout as a result, then she has to wait. She'll live.

Somewhat related to this recent discussion. I had a long talk with one of my SETLs last week. He was on me for not having GM cover my breaks. (This is a recurring theme with him: get GM to cover your breaks so you can take a full 15 at once.) I told him to walk around the salesfloor. Look at all the empty shelves and pegs. They're probably about 6-7% of the floor locations right now. Then, go to the back and see all the product sitting on vehicles. That shit could fill the floor a little more. But, GM doesn't have the time to push it. The result is that sales are down. We aren't making them this month when previously we always made them easily. INFs have suddenly skyrocketed. Goal Time Approaching for OPUs is constant because everytime I have to go try to find something in the back, it puts me behind on the next orders. So, while yes, I do have the right to demand that GM covers my breaks, I'm really better off giving them the extra half hour a day to get their own shit done. That's a U-boat of baby food that would not otherwise get pushed or a half-dozen repacks of back to school.

Relating GM not having time to do their shit to sales and OPU metrics drove home the point to that SETL. He's actually been much better at not calling for backup cashiers since then. I get it, we need cashiers. Our front end is a hot mess when we're short even one. It's not exactly fun being at the front end at those times. But, the store as a whole absolutely needs the sales floor to get its shit done. Product needs to be on the shelves. That means that calls for backup at the front, including OPU, need to be at an absolute minimum because corporate isn't giving GM the payroll it needs to function under modernization. If Karen has to wait 5 minutes longer to checkout as a result, then she has to wait. She'll live.

I've always found it ironic we teach children to wait their turn but don't expect it of adults as well. How confusing that must be to a child.

Our tls are told they should never work alone. Always work along side their experts.
I got the same direction from my GVP. I’m supposed to work with 3-5 TMs everyday, teach, coach, train, set a push pace and what not. For a couple months my SD wanted a detailed list of all the TMs we worked with and what we did with them but he’s sort of backed off that.

business needs except when the business needs me to cashier
It's robbing Peter to pay Paul. You don't want a skeleton staff, sales floor gets that. But taking from the skeleton staff on the sales floor is not the way to go, because it means that guests will have less stuff available they want to purchase. Removing people from the sales floor is an end sum game. Less available to buy, less assistance to find stuff or lift the heavy stuff, icky looking products, guests will just not get what they planned and go elsewhere. And that means less sales, which means less hours next month.

It's better to struggle with what you have and let the sales floor struggle with their expected work load, than to empty the sales floor so you don't have to struggle so much. The more you take from one to pad the other, the worse things are going to get, profit-wise followed by hour-wise.

That's how it "should" be.

However, Spot doesn't want it's leadership to lead by example, you know tasking. Just lead by walking around observing and telling TMs to either work faster or finish up your 4 hour shift is done.
LOL, a cd player taped to a roomba could do that a lot cheaper than an ETL. Just paint it red and tan, tape a Starbucks cup to the top and let it go. Maybe that’s part of Modernization Phase 3...😂🙄😂

Again I said not having someone on the floor for an hour for example won’t stop the store from running but not having a cashier for an hour will. I’m not saying it’s a perfect world but backups are necessary. I don’t think you backing up for 30 minutes is going to make the aisles empty. Again I’m not saying I agree with the way everything works but at the end of the day cashiers are more important.

More important than whom?

:rhetorical question:

I won't believe your answer, anyway.

All the jobs are important. From the person making a bale, to the team members doing a team lift carryout, to the one pushing their 6th uboat or 20th repack, or the one making Karen's Frappucino (sp?)

:eyeroll:

And, yes, even the cashiers that stand around and talk with each other during the down times while tm Joe is pushing pallets of BTS freight or tm Sophie is throwing the truck in 95* degree heat - the cashiers are important, too.

More important than whom?

:rhetorical question:

I won't believe your answer, anyway.

All the jobs are important. From the person making a bale, to the team members doing a team lift carryout, to the one pushing their 6th uboat or 20th repack, or the one making Karen's Frappucino (sp?)

:eyeroll:

And, yes, even the cashiers that stand around and talk with each other during the down times while tm Joe is pushing pallets of BTS freight or tm Sophie is throwing the truck in 95* degree heat - the cashiers are important, too.
I’m not saying you or anyone else isn’t important I’m just saying the role of a cashier is more important to the overall day to day profits of a building. If all your cashiers called out one day and you had no one that knew registers you can’t open your store. (Extremely hypothetical) but if you’re entire truck team calls out you just don’t unload the truck. Sure everyone is important to the overall success and I’m not saying one one person is better than the other. All I’m saying is you can’t survive without a cashier. I know some stores don’t have cashiers first thing in the morning but I’m referring to when you’re actually busy. Imagine the dinner rush and there no cashiers? People are walking out. Someone isn’t on the floor to help them? Yeh they might walk out too but chances are they’re still going to buy the things they need. I know long term every role is important to the building staying afloat. I’m referring to short term situations

I’m not saying you or anyone else isn’t important I’m just saying the role of a cashier is more important to the overall day to day profits of a building. If all your cashiers called out one day and you had no one that knew registers you can’t open your store. (Extremely hypothetical) but if you’re entire truck team calls out you just don’t unload the truck. Sure everyone is important to the overall success and I’m not saying one one person is better than the other. All I’m saying is you can’t survive without a cashier. I know some stores don’t have cashiers first thing in the morning but I’m referring to when you’re actually busy. Imagine the dinner rush and there no cashiers? People are walking out. Someone isn’t on the floor to help them? Yeh they might walk out too but chances are they’re still going to buy the things they need. I know long term every role is important to the building staying afloat. I’m referring to short term situations

Agree to disagree.

No product - nothing to sell.
need inbound and GM to stock.

And which is it?

Day to day profits of the building or during short term situations? re: a cashier being more important?

:another rhetorical question:

And which is it?

Day to day profits of the building or during short term situations? re: a cashier being more important?

:another rhetorical question:
Okay I’m sorry I’m upset you. You’re important too. Make sure you get your gold star this week.

I love that our peak houra happen from 5-8 every night, but we only have 2 cashiers and service desk. We do not have SCO. As soon as they start taking lunches around 630-8, we are down to one cashier. Back up becomes necessary, and it is usually for 15-30 minutes. The SETL is always on a lane, getting carts, or at SD, but she is out at 630.

At least my closing team is still of the one team, one dream mindset. They are Super. Even electronics and beauty help get carts. I just wish the teams were given adequate payroll.

we haven't rolled anything from truck in months. MONTHS, even after taking multiple doubles. GM still answers backup calls. these things aren't mutually exclusive.

what is probably happening is only one team member responds for backup because no one else wants to, so THEY end up spending a lot of their shift on a lane so THEIR tasks aren't getting done, whereas if everyone took turns they'd all still be able to get their stuff done.

i know none of you would probably know about this, but when guests have to wait in backed up lines, we hear about it in myGuest. pissed off guests take surveys. then it tanks the store's NPS.

Back