MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Our receiver is very, very good at their job, but like a lot of TMs has been bitching about wanting to quit for the last year. Usually with the line, and then where will the store be?? Welp. Sometimes the energy you put out into the world just takes a little while to come back at you..

Our Receiver was promoted and currently the duties are being performed by one of our Inbound TMs or the ETL-GM. Packages are being left in Receiving without either of them letting anyone know what has come in. It is already a mess back there. I'm predicting that MIRs for Entertainment will have to be picked, packaged, and shipped by Tech TMs.:mad:

Our receiver is not only great at his job, but one of the nicest people on earth. Also imagining CRCs and ESIMs without one. Who will take care of those?

Whoever ETL-GM or whoever the ETL LOG turned into. Cos they don’t have a metric crap ton of 💩 to deal with. Or yeah just keep the receiver and keep on trucking into oblivion like we are.

Our receiver is very, very good at their job, but like a lot of TMs has been bitching about wanting to quit for the last year. Usually with the line, and then where will the store be?? Welp. Sometimes the energy you put out into the world just takes a little while to come back at you..
If your receiver thinks he's the reason your store is still standing, he needs a reality check.

I've been in retail for over 30 years. I've been promoted or moved to other departments and witnessed my previous area turn into utter shit, I've seen other associates and leaders working half as hard (or hardly at all) and still collect their paychecks, I've seen good people quit and bad ones linger for years. I've seen long-time associates retire or move on, and a week or two later it's like they never worked there.

I've said this too many times, but it bears repeating, as I know this for a fact: companies survived before I arrived, and they will carry on just fine without me. No one is irreplaceable.

I’ll admit I don’t really know, but: I rarely see our receiver do anything but loaf with other tm’s, complain, point out problems, shop and sweep a little. I know a few vendors come in every morning and he does talk to them but I mostly hear “That’s not my job” and “I don’t have to do that”. It seems like the work could be absorbed by another tm/TL/exec along with their own duties since less tasking is required these days by leaders.

Our receiver is not only great at his job, but one of the nicest people on earth. Also imagining CRCs and ESIMs without one. Who will take care of those?

No one, that's who. Just like the signing at our store. The pallets come in and sit unsorted until they build up. Then there's a panic cause we're getting a visit and I get told to do it. I end up throwing away almost 3/4 of what is sent. Such a waste. I wonder if corporate knows how much money they waste on unused signing. Not just creating it and manufacturing. But shipping too. Just to have it unused and out straight into the compactor.

So shouldn't there be a DBO for the backroom?
Receivers are the epitome of a dbo they've already been owning their area for years.
At my store, we’re basically the DBO of receiving and backroom (audit). We keep the receiving clean, palletize items and organize the line for the salesfloor. Someone could ask us any question of receiving or the backroom and we could probably answer that question. We’re technically the only backroom TMs since we’re in back the entire day.
No one, that's who. Just like the signing at our store. The pallets come in and sit unsorted until they build up. Then there's a panic cause we're getting a visit and I get told to do it. I end up throwing away almost 3/4 of what is sent. Such a waste. I wonder if corporate knows how much money they waste on unused signing. Not just creating it and manufacturing. But shipping too. Just to have it unused and out straight into the compactor.
Is it not a thing for the store to have someone dedicated to signing once or twice a week? The signing pallet comes in on Monday and either the signing person takes care of it or the whole store will eat at it until the signing person is scheduled Friday.

At my store, we’re basically the DBO of receiving and backroom (audit). We keep the receiving clean, palletize items and organize the line for the salesfloor. Someone could ask us any question of receiving or the backroom and we could probably answer that question. We’re technically the only backroom TMs since we’re in back the entire day.

Is it not a thing for the store to have someone dedicated to signing once or twice a week? The signing pallet comes in on Monday and either the signing person takes care of it or the whole store will eat at it until the signing person is scheduled Friday.

Not at my store. It's been an issue since we started. For a while, we used pog/transition hours to sort it. But since the two addendum changes in June and August, no more. So it's even worse than before.

Modernization wiped out all specialties, including a signing position. To have one person take care of signing for the store is against modernization mandates.

Our Receiver was promoted and currently the duties are being performed by one of our Inbound TMs or the ETL-GM. Packages are being left in Receiving without either of them letting anyone know what has come in. It is already a mess back there. I'm predicting that MIRs for Entertainment will have to be picked, packaged, and shipped by Tech TMs.:mad:
I already do the Entertainment MIRs, I won't do any further

The assumption that logic would prevail in a Target store is endearing. ;)

I already do the Entertainment MIRs, I won't do any further
The QA and MIRs (IRs now according to the ETLS) are supposed to be pulled by the department. The receiver is only to process and ship the QA and MIR.

My store disregards that and has the receiver pull and process the QA and MIR.

There's still a Signing Expert. They get ~10 hours per week for store signing. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to sort the pallet and store signing somewhere for DBOs to come grab -- that's why they redid how signing is labeled.

There is no Signing Expert. A Presentation Expert (often the former Signing TM) or GM Expert is supposed to get the 10 hours under GM to do any non-pog ISM, sort the pallet, and clean the fixture room. I have yet to hear of any of us actually getting these hours. My job title in Workday certainly does not say Signing Expert; it says Presentation Expert and yet, I'm still expected to get the pallets and ISM down anyway.

There's still a Signing Expert. They get ~10 hours per week for store signing. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to sort the pallet and store signing somewhere for DBOs to come grab -- that's why they redid how signing is labeled.

Lolololol. Not against you, but I've had two talks with the stl, 3 or 4 heated disagreements with numerous etls, two lengthy conversations with two hr etls about this. I do not get any hours to do this. Each store's stl has free reign to use those hours how they want. Since I got done early with my pog today, I sorted the pallets since I need the signing fir next week to set Halloween. But had I not been efficient or had a pog that could be completed in less time than called for, no one would have done it.

I also threw away almost a whole flat of unused signing from previous weeks.

My store never set up the new signing sort area since it's just the fixture room and there is no shelving to do it. After looking at the strips they sent for the sort for 2 months, my tl tossed them. Neither the stl or the etls ever mentioned using them.

It's all a sad outcome of signing and an immense waste of company money.

But I can't tell you the pleasure I get from just tossing unused signing. All those years of nitpicking and now it isn't important. Was it ever? There were times I was written up for not having a specific piece of signing up. Now? Compactor city. Dumb ass company. Either use or don't send it. The dumb fucks in corporate must be even more incompetent than I imagined to come up with this shit system. "Oh, no more signing tm! It's so modern! It'll save money!" But keep sending the same amount of signing. Hell, I had trouble in years past getting people to do signing. Now? Fuck it. Toss that shit after it sits there when it's past due by two months.

Sorry for the rant.

Modernization wiped out all specialties, including a signing position. To have one person take care of signing for the store is against modernization mandates.
The former price team was just integrated into softlines and general merchandise but are the only one's to do price change. The former signing captain still works under signing for 2 days but is also part of general merchandise. The former plano team gets moved around between the blocks during revisions and resets with being entirely stolen for seasonal to change the planogram. Are these situations against modernization?

There is no Signing Expert. A Presentation Expert (often the former Signing TM) or GM Expert is supposed to get the 10 hours under GM to do any non-pog ISM, sort the pallet, and clean the fixture room. I have yet to hear of any of us actually getting these hours. My job title in Workday certainly does not say Signing Expert; it says Presentation Expert and yet, I'm still expected to get the pallets and ISM down anyway.
The signing/presentation expert has it under there own department and the hours varies based on the store. I look on the grid and the expert is in there own section for Monday and Friday for 7 hours each day. The hours gotta be varied based on the store (us a high volume store).

Last edited:
The former price team was just integrated into softlines and general merchandise but are the only one's to do price change. The former signing captain still works under signing for 2 days but is also part of general merchandise. The former plano team gets moved around between the blocks during revisions and resets with being entirely stolen for seasonal to change the planogram. Are these situations against modernization?

From my understanding, each dbo.is responsible for their area price change and some transition. I don't know the entire breakdown. At my store, the transition team does all hardlines pog's, some softlines pog's, and sometimes heavy revisions and salesplans, especially if it falls under our etl's area. Sometimes, the former PC tm will be scheduled to do heavy PC in certain areas.

But I don't think there should just be a few people in the store doing the bulk of the pc. Each area should be doing their own.

Back