Archived 6:00 am process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, so I've been at Target for a 1 year and 2 months and I've always worked the 4:00 am shift and my store is moving to 6:00 am shift in the beginning of May. Anywho during huddle my ETL brought up not getting differential pay anymore because of the new time we'll be coming in but we'll be getting an added pay to cover the differential pay we'll be losing for employees that got hired on before March 2017. I'm sure those weren't my ETL's exact words but that is what I can remember. Can anyone help me understand this better? Thank you.

Whatever your differential pay is will be added to your base pay.

Example: You come in at 4 now. Your base pay is $10 per hour. Your differential is $1 per hour. Your new pay after the change will be $11 per hour.

We went through this almost 10 years ago. We went from 4 to 6. Then 6 to 7.

Whatever your differential pay is will be added to your base pay.

Example: You come in at 4 now. Your base pay is $10 per hour. Your differential is $1 per hour. Your new pay after the change will be $11 per hour.

We went through this almost 10 years ago. We went from 4 to 6. Then 6 to 7.

Good explanation except the numbers are rarely that generous. Your new differential is generally based on the following factors

Average hours
total shifts worked the previous year
Average days worked per week
Average shift differential hours
Difference after transition

So the per hour differential can be as low as 20 cents and as much as 1.50. With the average tm getting closer to 60 cents.

My old store went from overnight to 4am and I had to manually key shift differentials for a while until their bases changed. It's actually rare to see your base pay raised a full dollar I think we had 2 or 3 of our overnight tms actually get that much.

Last edited:
Good explanation except the numbers are rarely that generous. Your new differential is generally based on the following factors

Average hours
total shifts worked the previous year
Average days worked per week
Average shift differential hours
Difference after transition

So the per hour differential can be as low as 20 cents and as much as 1.50. With the average tm getting closer to 60 cents.

My old store went from overnight to 4am and I had to manually key shift differentials for a while until their bases changed. It's actually rare to see your base pay raised a full dollar I think we had 2 or 3 of our overnight tms actually get that much.

I can only speak from my experience, so your numbers have a larger base. I got the total amount of my differential. Like I said, this was 10 years ago.

When we went from 4a to 6a we had the differential added to our base pay. In our case it was something like 50 cents I think.

Exactly and at my old store I couldn't wait until it went effect. Manually keying it was a PITA.

With 50 cents you did good
I can only speak from my experience, so your numbers have a larger base. I got the total amount of my differential. Like I said, this was 10 years ago.

Yeah I get that. The company used to payout vacation too but now if you quit you lose it.

I think with differential they are giving a higher increase based on how much a person works. Rather than give a 15 hour a week flow person a full dollar they are saying you only worked 15 hours so your lost wages are smaller than someone who worked 30

Wait.....you can't lose your vacation hours. When you accrue hours, you get the hours based on the time that you have already worked. You are entitled to get paid.
When a company says that you can only earn/save up a certain number of hours and you go over those (saved) hours, then you can not accrue more time....in that way, you don't get paid.....but what that means is that a TM must take vacation time off to get below the maximum hours....after the vacation hours are taken then hours can accrue again.

Now, personal or wellness hours are hours that you won't get paid for because that is time given to you.

Even if you leave Target and don't give any notice, they still have to pay the hours that you accrued up to the time you left.

Even if you leave Target and don't give any notice, they still have to pay the hours that you accrued up to the time you left.

Not true, at least in my state. (There is a trick HR can do to get around that with historical edits). But unlike vacation payout, regular vacation is generally not paid out upon termination.

Not true, at least in my state. (There is a trick HR can do to get around that with historical edits). But unlike vacation payout, regular vacation is generally not paid out upon termination.

According to my HR Management Handbook (In California, my state, don't know if it applies to Ohio as well) They can not withhold payment for hours worked. California is a "At-will" state. And if HR were to use historical edits to cut a TM's hours to give them less pay, then the TM has the state to back them up, that is, if they have a log to prove the time/pay discrepancy. Target, however has the right to "fee" a TM near or at their wage for everyday that passes from the notice of final paycheck arrival that passes without the final pay being collected.

According to my HR Management Handbook (In California, my state, don't know if it applies to Ohio as well) They can not withhold payment for hours worked. California is a "At-will" state. And if HR were to use historical edits to cut a TM's hours to give them less pay, then the TM has the state to back them up, that is, if they have a log to prove the time/pay discrepancy. Target, however has the right to "fee" a TM near or at their wage for everyday that passes from the notice of final paycheck arrival that passes without the final pay being collected.
HRZone was referring to adding vacation hours, not cutting actual worked hours (which would be illegal in every state). In many states, they don't pay out vacation at termination and that is a way to do it anyways.

As sfs fun said we can use historical edits to give people vacation hours they never used.

My flow went to 6 about 2 yrs ago, and I got $1.00 differential. I assume we all did but I don't know for sure.

Reactions: Yev
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back