A look into Walmart's Zebra applications.

I really didn't think there could be anything worse than Target's but behold, Walmart's Zebra applications:

1553049293621.png

Walmart: What icon guidelines should we use for our applications?
Also Walmart: Yes.

Seems like their version of myWork is called Productivity? Apparently there is no way to search by items names, the search feature only lets you search by UPC. What is crazy is you have to SCROLL DOWN for the location of the item, as (not) seen in this screenshot.

1553049466334.png

They have an upcoming application for people in Self Check Out, to monitor each of the registers, right from the Zebra.

1553050042566.png

There seems to be a problem though, that these devices are hard to come by, and things like this exist:

1553049683261.png

Walmart does have a Bring Your Own Device option, to download the very apps that the Zebras use right on your phone, in return for 80% off your phone bill.

They also get access to your phone if they want if you were to download and use their apps. I’d buy a prepaid and just use it on their WiFi.
It's through Intelligent Hub, formerly AirWatch Agent. Target actually already does BYOD, but only for higher ups to download MPM.
But anyway, people have already been doing this!

TJ24zxk.png

Having used Walmart's devices extensively as a former ASM (Walmart equivalent of an ETL), I have to admit that the Walmart system is much more straight-forward than what we have at Target. They also have more information available in the MyProductivity app, such as daily and weekly sales trends on an item-by-item basis. I also experienced far fewer bugs than I have with Target's apps, especially TIC (omg).

As for BYOD, as mentioned, both Target and Walmart offer this, but Walmart extends the option to hourly employees as well (with some restrictions). Both companies gain very limited permissions on your phone, since your phone now has access to confidential company information. They can use this access to uninstall their apps (if you quit or lose your phone), as well as enforce security measures, such as requiring you to have a screen lock.

In addition to the future SCO app, Walmart also has SCO Host stations, which allow their Hosts to monitor all of the SCO registers at the same time, in real time. It's pretty sweet.

All of that said, still way happier working at Target than I ever was at Wally World.

I bet Walmart stores have like 2,000 Zebras each and if one croaks its replacement gets overnighted to the store
We have a lot of zebras at our store, but so many of them don't work correctly. I really need to memorize which numbers work, or stand there, login and make sure it scans correctly. And even then sometimes the Zebra will just stop working when I need it the most. It completely infuriates me and makes me look like an asshole (even more so than usual) when I am livid about something that should be so simple.

Approximately 2 years ago. They still use them for gift registries.
Which honestly I never understood why we kept them for that. I know they’re more user friendly for the guest but why continue to support multiple universes with tech support, device repair and app updates when it could all be handled by one team

Which honestly I never understood why we kept them for that. I know they’re more user friendly for the guest but why continue to support multiple universes with tech support, device repair and app updates when it could all be handled by one team
Don’t give them that idea. They’ll do modernization on tech support, making it harder for us when we have technical issues.

I think it’s cause corporate doesn’t want risk a stolen zebra while it’s okay with a stolen outdated iOS device.

Back