Archived AAR Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did ask my etl for that exact info. I think it needs to be corrected. If the item has a plug or battery, it should count.

Thanks for that information.. Also does any know if I get a ESp/RP on a game or controller does it count on the Aar report towards that core dept?? Im new in the elect TL role so I'm trying to raise our score but my ETL isnt much help

From what I've read, these reports should only be considered as one metric in determine when to coach a TM. The info I read specifically stated that coaching a should not be delivered based on the report, but on holistic observations of the TL with additional info from the report. Will that happen? Don't know...

Not to repeat myself but metrics are always supposed to be used as a piece of the process when it comes to coaching a TM.
When you have good management who don't have Spot breathing down their neck that will be the case.
Otherwise the metric will be the end all be all and you will be coached, even fired based on those numbers.

They're used as a piece of information yes, but not the only piece. Even if you think its as bad as you say (wasn't even THAT bad in my last store where people got fired on numbers alone...), they aren't going to fire you over short term #s.

They look for trends; for example if you are 0% Red Card conversion for several months running (as a cashier), they might see a trend that you aren't trying at all to push REDCards. However if you are 0% week to date, yet GREEN YTD its not as big of a deal.

Same thing for AAR, if I tank one week they aren't going to hang me out to dry as long as it isn't a consistent pattern. My YTD AAR is green, so even if I have a bad day/week, I'm still a consistent positive contributor so I don't have to worry.

From what I've read, these reports should only be considered as one metric in determine when to coach a TM. The info I read specifically stated that coaching a should not be delivered based on the report, but on holistic observations of the TL with additional info from the report. Will that happen? Don't know...

Not to repeat myself but metrics are always supposed to be used as a piece of the process when it comes to coaching a TM.
When you have good management who don't have Spot breathing down their neck that will be the case.
Otherwise the metric will be the end all be all and you will be coached, even fired based on those numbers.

They're used as a piece of information yes, but not the only piece. Even if you think its as bad as you say (wasn't even THAT bad in my last store where people got fired on numbers alone...), they aren't going to fire you over short term #s.

They look for trends; for example if you are 0% Red Card conversion for several months running (as a cashier), they might see a trend that you aren't trying at all to push REDCards. However if you are 0% week to date, yet GREEN YTD its not as big of a deal.

Same thing for AAR, if I tank one week they aren't going to hang me out to dry as long as it isn't a consistent pattern. My YTD AAR is green, so even if I have a bad day/week, I'm still a consistent positive contributor so I don't have to worry.

You're absolutely right and as I said that's an example of a good boss using the numbers as they should be used (or even using them badly but at least taking basic common sense into account).
But I keep hearing about cashiers and electronics TMs being pulled aside on a weekly basis for 'informal talks' (that we both know are going in their folders) because they aren't meeting the quota.

You're absolutely right and as I said that's an example of a good boss using the numbers as they should be used (or even using them badly but at least taking basic common sense into account).
But I keep hearing about cashiers and electronics TMs being pulled aside on a weekly basis for 'informal talks' (that we both know are going in their folders) because they aren't meeting the quota.

Well we have one Electronics TM who is RED for year-to-date AAR, I haven't heard if hes been talked to or not, but this would probably be a case where you MIGHT get talked to. I'm green YTD and even one week where I was 0% they didn't talk to me about it at all.

I'm sure some people do legitimately try and have been talked to, I can't say that every stores' managers are fair. I do know for a fact that people who I know have been talked to over REDCards had it go like this:

1. TM is verbally coached for RED Conversion score, reminded to ask every guest.
2. Repeat 1
3. TM is observed not asking guests on a consistent basis over a period of time.
4. TM is written up.

I've only seen people get in trouble for not making a conscious effort. The week-to-week talks that people are talking about in some cases might not even be documented coachings. When I was a GSA we had weekly check ins with our cashiers (GSTL/GSA both did), and we were supposed to tell our cashiers their metrics Speed Score %, Conversion %, etc. The talks were purely informative for our cashiers (considering we had GSA's delivering them) and to my knowledge were not documented or used as coachings.

Thanks for that information.. Also does any know if I get a ESp/RP on a game or controller does it count on the Aar report towards that core dept?? Im new in the elect TL role so I'm trying to raise our score but my ETL isnt much help
That's because etls are dumb sometimes. Your ESP on your controller will not count towards your aar.

That's because etls are dumb sometimes. Your ESP on your controller will not count towards your aar.

I was under the impression that all ESPs on any valid item will count as 1 attachment.

I was under the impression that all ESPs on any valid item will count as 1 attachment.
It's possible that I am wrong. I have seen the green ESP count towards the gaming system but not additional esps for the accessory controller and games on the myperformance report. If you have done a transaction like this look it up or ask your tl or Etl to help you look it up then let the rest of us know

It's possible that I am wrong. I have seen the green ESP count towards the gaming system but not additional esps for the accessory controller and games on the myperformance report. If you have done a transaction like this look it up or ask your tl or Etl to help you look it up then let the rest of us know

We count ESPs for non-cores as attachments...atleast that is what our ETL and TL tell us. I would check with myperformance just to make sure though.

Aar expectation is ridiculous.. It's so many ins and outs to be green and not enough information supporting it

Service plans for small electrics, toys, and the like only count towards profitable sales, not AAR. Same with headphone, Fitbits, and the like. However, if you sell headphones with a "main" item (e.g. iPads) and get a replacement plan for them, both will count as an attachment for the iPad. Fun fact #1: if you sell a TV with a Blu-ray player and HDMI cable, the cable counts for both the TV and player.

Fun fact #2: an Apple TV counts as an attachment for an iPad.

But yes, 65% is unrealistic. Most guests already have HDMI cables, media cards, and USB cables (plus they're cheaper elsewhere). When they need them, they come in another time for a replacement.

Fun fact #1: if you sell a TV with a Blu-ray player and HDMI cable, the cable counts for both the TV and player.

We're been in constant contact with My Support because hdmi cables currently do not count with blu ray players, at least in my store. I sold this exact arrangement two weeks ago and the cable and player both attached to the tv, and nothing attached the the player.

It's pretty funny though, when we ask them to explain why hdmi cables don't count as attachments for blu rays, the answer they gave was pretty much "I don't know, they just don't."

This report has really brought to light how glitchy this system is. We had a few days recently where Wii remotes were not counting with Wii sales too!

Oh for sure it's VERY glitchy. We haven't had any issues with accessories, but we have noticed sometimes ESPs for valid items sometimes don't show up.

Service plans for small electrics, toys, and the like only count towards profitable sales, not AAR. Same with headphone, Fitbits, and the like. However, if you sell headphones with a "main" item (e.g. iPads) and get a replacement plan for them, both will count as an attachment for the iPad. Fun fact #1: if you sell a TV with a Blu-ray player and HDMI cable, the cable counts for both the TV and player.

But yes, 65% is unrealistic. Most guests already have HDMI cables, media cards, and USB cables (plus they're cheaper elsewhere). When they need them, they come in another time for a replacement.

MMB Monster you seem to know your stuff. I have a list of the Main Items and the attachments that go with that I found on workbench. My issue with this list is that it doesn't seem comprehensive enough. I have been a TL for 10 months now and it seems that attachments and main items keep changing. I did not realize that yellow ESP did not count towards AAR when sold with headphones. I sold 3 of them this week and they did not show up on the report. It makes it hard to sell an attachment when you never sure if it counts towards AAR
I am red YTD and got my STL breathing down my neck. I have 2-3 weeks to go green or I'm in serious trouble. I need help. If anybody has more tips or secrets they can sure I would really appreciate it.
It there a detailed report on main items and attachments.

MMB Monster you seem to know your stuff. I have a list of the Main Items and the attachments that go with that I found on workbench. My issue with this list is that it doesn't seem comprehensive enough. I have been a TL for 10 months now and it seems that attachments and main items keep changing. I did not realize that yellow ESP did not count towards AAR when sold with headphones. I sold 3 of them this week and they did not show up on the report. It makes it hard to sell an attachment when you never sure if it counts towards AAR
I am red YTD and got my STL breathing down my neck. I have 2-3 weeks to go green or I'm in serious trouble. I need help. If anybody has more tips or secrets they can sure I would really appreciate it.
We Got This, where on workbench do you find this comprehensive list of AAR items and accessories? I have a fair amount of what does and doesn't count and I've been using it to train the team but I heard there was a detailed list but haven't been able to find it yet, where do you go? Could you possibly PM me the info? Please and thank you! I also agree that 65% is unrealistic, we bounce between 50-60% most weeks with a rough 40% in here and there, it's funny at our store because our YTD is around 60% and we are top 15 in our group, so that tells me that our group as a whole is having trouble with the new green threshold and even our ETL-HL noted this.

Ours is 65% too. My etl-hl struck out on attachments for a camera & iPad, one day. That event proved to them, that we are trying & asking for it.

We Got This, where on workbench do you find this comprehensive list of AAR items and accessories? I have a fair amount of what does and doesn't count and I've been using it to train the team but I heard there was a detailed list but haven't been able to find it yet, where do you go? Could you possibly PM me the info? Please and thank you! I also agree that 65% is unrealistic, we bounce between 50-60% most weeks with a rough 40% in here and there, it's funny at our store because our YTD is around 60% and we are top 15 in our group, so that tells me that our group as a whole is having trouble with the new green threshold and even our ETL-HL noted this.[/QUOTE]

I will have a look tomorrow and let you know. What lists do you have and where did you find them? I don't think the list I have is detailed enough. I would like to see something that has all main items and attachments and not a generalization of attachments.

I don't think the list I have is detailed enough. I would like to see something that has all main items and attachments and not a generalization of attachments.

I asked about this. They said that because of the amount of items that differ from store to store, this would be almost impossible. However I agree, the list is waaaay too general. Hopefully they'll revamp it soon, since they finally came out of the dark ages and added HDMI cables as blu ray player attachments and such.

It doesn't surprise me, being Target and all - but I can't believe that people are being held accountable to a number that is coming from such a deeply flawed algorithm.

It doesn't surprise me, being Target and all - but I can't believe that people are being held accountable to a number that is coming from such a deeply flawed algorithm.[/QUOTE]

Well then at least a list that gives a better indication of what to sell and what not to sell with main items. How can I as a TL me held accountable for AAR when I can't even coach my team on what is an attachment and what isn't.

Hey WGT,

As Nolonger said, there is no master list of eligible items, just that general one on mySupport, which is helpful, though not comprehensive. We keep that list in plain sight at the "Electronics Service Desk" so any backups will have a cheat sheet.

We also keep affordable attachments (e.g. the $5 aux cables are good for TVs/iPads/etc, clearance cases, $9 surge protectors, the $8 car chargers from the lanes, etc) in a shipper at the boat as last second nudges. Training cashiers and backup coverage is crucial. A ton of sales are missed on the front end. Have them focus on that 5 second S/RP pitch and make sure they stay stocked with plans.

For your team, have them do ALL of the selling before they get to the register. The most important thing to do outside of that is have a conversation with the guest before you go trying to add things. If you don't they'll commit to "no" before you suggest what they really need. And when it comes to plans, be blunt. Most guests want one deep inside, but Consumer Reports and everyone else says they're not worth it. So I tell guests to look at it like an extended return if it's a lemon, and that the manufacturer isn't going to cover a lot of things. Lots of guests appreciate you being straightforward with them.

It sucks they have you to the gun. Your ETL should face the heat first. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

I don't think the list I have is detailed enough. I would like to see something that has all main items and attachments and not a generalization of attachments.

I asked about this. They said that because of the amount of items that differ from store to store, this would be almost impossible. However I agree, the list is waaaay too general. Hopefully they'll revamp it soon, since they finally came out of the dark ages and added HDMI cables as blu ray player attachments and such.

It doesn't surprise me, being Target and all - but I can't believe that people are being held accountable to a number that is coming from such a deeply flawed algorithm.

It stinks they still aren't counting your HDMI cables. As of last week ours are still good. Hope they fix that soon for you, cause thats a crucial add on with Blu-Rays and Rokus.

Hey WGT,

As Nolonger said, there is no master list of eligible items, just that general one on mySupport, which is helpful, though not comprehensive. We keep that list in plain sight at the "Electronics Service Desk" so any backups will have a cheat sheet.

We also keep affordable attachments (e.g. the $5 aux cables are good for TVs/iPads/etc, clearance cases, $9 surge protectors, the $8 car chargers from the lanes, etc) in a shipper at the boat as last second nudges. Training cashiers and backup coverage is crucial. A ton of sales are missed on the front end. Have them focus on that 5 second S/RP pitch and make sure they stay stocked with plans.

For your team, have them do ALL of the selling before they get to the register. The most important thing to do outside of that is have a conversation with the guest before you go trying to add things. If you don't they'll commit to "no" before you suggest what they really need. And when it comes to plans, be blunt. Most guests want one deep inside, but Consumer Reports and everyone else says they're not worth it. So I tell guests to look at it like an extended return if it's a lemon, and that the manufacturer isn't going to cover a lot of things. Lots of guests appreciate you being straightforward with them.

It sucks they have you to the gun. Your ETL should face the heat first. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

First, I found it interesting that people at our store like to blame the front end for lack of attachments, but if we assume that the attachment problem is equal across the board, our front end has a higher attachment rate than the electronics department as a whole. So don't assume that's where the issue is until you see the numbers.

And for the love of God, please do not refer to that ESP as an extended return and give them the impression they can bring it back to the store. I can't tell you how many guests I have come in with their ESP and expect to be able to return the product. And they get angry when I have to break it to them that they were either mislead or misunderstood.

Make sure you're pitching accessories and minute cards with prepaid phones if your Target Mobile isn't doing it at your store.

Protection plans on games get overlooked, as does anything people are replacing a broken version of. Clearance headphones, too.

Mobile gets paid on dollar value so most of this doesn't go into my areas, but electronics knows I ring out all prepaid if I'm there and not busy with a contract sale. Ymmv.

Hey WGT,

First, I found it interesting that people at our store like to blame the front end for lack of attachments, but if we assume that the attachment problem is equal across the board, our front end has a higher attachment rate than the electronics department as a whole. So don't assume that's where the issue is until you see the numbers.

And for the love of God, please do not refer to that ESP as an extended return and give them the impression they can bring it back to the store. I can't tell you how many guests I have come in with their ESP and expect to be able to return the product. And they get angry when I have to break it to them that they were either mislead or misunderstood.

Looking at the actual numbers is exactly what I've done. The fact is, we miss at least a 1-3% attachment rate weekly from TVs and streaming players that go to the front (and we're 77% YTD). Pointing blame to the cashiers is not the solution, but recruiting and educating them to the cause is. That guest needs to be serviced before they grab and go, and that's the E&E team's job. But if that's missed, then the hope is the front end at least offers the protection plan. Our best cashiers with AAR have been 2nd location or are excellent with Red Cards. They provide that "amazing" service that can seal the deal and they have at least a basic understanding of "completing the sale".

And yes, I will continue to tell guests that about S/RPs 'cause in 90% of cases that don't involve a large TV or gaming system all NEW does is issue them a gift card. Every guest that buys a plan at our store is instructed completely on what to do, and some of us have helped guests through the process so we know how it works. If it stops working in the guidelines we gave you, call that number.

The truth with AAR will always be you can't make anyone buy anything. Target doesn't understand that. It's 2014 and people aren't necessarily buying their first camera/TV/Blu-Ray player. In fact they're probably on number 2 or 3. So you capture every sale you can when you can.

I meant WTG should look at his/her numbers before assuming it is the front end dragging those numbers down, because it may or may not be the case.

And as long as you are clear that after the 30 days (60 with the REDCard) that they don't return it to us, but they need to call the number, that's fine. I just hate seeing people angry/disappointed when they find out that it does not extend Spot's return policy as they believed it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back