Archived "Acknowledging Every Guest" Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
'give me some more goddamn zebra's.'
If that won't work, please give me some advice.
you have to defend why you need them without suggesting that they didn't fuck you over with the amount they gave. Also, knowing someone in corporate (or those damn secret visits) and finally prayer.

I'm glad our leadership hasn't been hassling us about this because it's going to annoy a lot of guests and annoy me too. The majority of folks aren't shy about asking for help if they need it, and the ones who don't just want to shop and be left alone.

Back when I was a guest if I got pestered by several employees in a row I'd start wondering if they were AP and guest servicing me as a deterrent. I was window shopping at another Target a few years ago while waiting for a friend to pick me up and the TMs were relentless with the sing songy "Can I help you find anything?" routine...annoying. Even moreso because I'm p sure the especially persistent one was AP and thought I was trying to boost a display camera. Lmao

It shouldn't even be encouraged. There should either be absolutely nothing that even subtly hints at using personal phones, not at all. It should in fact be mildly discouraged, so that it is clear that it's use your phone at your own risk. There are a lot of people out there, especially people who Target is their first job, that would take encourage to mean demand and requirement.
Honestly, guests love when I pull out my personal phone to check if there’s a cartwheel deal (because their app won’t load or phone died or whatever). I’ve neved used my personal cartwheel code for a guest, but often showing them (on my phone) what they could be saving if they had the app and then they step aside and download the app, tends to work out well!

Honestly, guests love when I pull out my personal phone to check if there’s a cartwheel deal (because their app won’t load or phone died or whatever). I’ve neved used my personal cartwheel code for a guest, but often showing them (on my phone) what they could be saving if they had the app and then they step aside and download the app, tends to work out well!

If you want to do that and take the risk, fine. But for Target to officially encourage it is flat out wrong. IcePeasant flat out said that management at his store officially encourages TMs (especially cashiers) to use their personal phones to conduct business.

If you want to do that and take the risk, fine. But for Target to officially encourage it is flat out wrong. IcePeasant flat out said that management at his store officially encourages TMs (especially cashiers) to use their personal phones to conduct business.

We had one GSTL tell an older TM she needed to be active in our store's process and use her phone for guests, preferably an iPhone. He told her it was a directive from the STL.

got written up today for not greeting EVERY guest. Didn’t sign it because I think it is ludicrous. Did the same to my TL and forced her out. Have cut other people’s hours to force them out. I work self-checkout and sometimes I get dizzy twirling around to say “Hi!” To everyone. Some people turn away before you can say do ething. Some are plugged in to their phones, or listening to music and don’t see you. I try to wish people a good day as they leave if I couldn’t say hello. It feels like there is a hit list and I am on it. In 14 yrs been there only got written up twice, maybe. This year at least 4 times. Some I agree I was wrong in doing, but the rest are for the above.

got written up today for not greeting EVERY guest. Didn’t sign it because I think it is ludicrous. Did the same to my TL and forced her out. Have cut other people’s hours to force them out. I work self-checkout and sometimes I get dizzy twirling around to say “Hi!” To everyone. Some people turn away before you can say do ething. Some are plugged in to their phones, or listening to music and don’t see you. I try to wish people a good day as they leave if I couldn’t say hello. It feels like there is a hit list and I am on it. In 14 yrs been there only got written up twice, maybe. This year at least 4 times. Some I agree I was wrong in doing, but the rest are for the above.

Doesn't matter if you sign or not on any documentation. There's no extra repercussions for not signing, but whatever the documentation is, it's still valid with or without your signature.
Thanks
@BleacherSeats

Gee, I sure can't wait for when they decide to drop this shit and move onto some other new fad that they think is going to solve everything! Hoo boy!

Are there any areas currently specialty that are being dropped? My TL was talking to me today about the new rules and mentioned they thought some areas were being dropped to base.

If all this boils down to is saying hello or smiling in greeting, fine. I can do that. But I'm not forcing myself into somebody's day who clearly doesn't want to be bothered and I'm not going to interject myself into a conversation in progress or someone's phone session. In my eyes that's rude. TMs should be encouraged to be polite, friendly, and available if help is needed but they should not be asked to force themselves on guests who clearly don't want to interact and trust me you can tell by people's body language whether they welcome your two cents or simply want you to go away.

Also... one of the attractive things about Amazon is getting to quietly browse through products and NOT be bothered by a salesperson you don't even know. They say our strength over Amazon is excellent customer service but that strength can quickly become a weakness if overdone.

Uh oh .... some of the etls are in trouble. They are notorious for ignoring people.
Yup. Lead by example. I don't see my ETLs acknowledging guests, I'm gonna do the same! They hardly even acknowledge TMs too.

If all this boils down to is saying hello or smiling in greeting, fine. I can do that. But I'm not forcing myself into somebody's day who clearly doesn't want to be bothered and I'm not going to interject myself into a conversation in progress or someone's phone session. In my eyes that's rude. TMs should be encouraged to be polite, friendly, and available if help is needed but they should not be asked to force themselves on guests who clearly don't want to interact and trust me you can tell by people's body language whether they welcome your two cents or simply want you to go away.

Also... one of the attractive things about Amazon is getting to quietly browse through products and NOT be bothered by a salesperson you don't even know. They say our strength over Amazon is excellent customer service but that strength can quickly become a weakness if overdone.
Well said! Well said! Corporate guy should read this. I agree with you 100%

On the contrary...... Greeting, Acknowledging, and Assisting our Guests is highly effective! Most of the time, it's something small and simple that our Guest is looking/asking for; light bulbs, for example. You show them the light bulb aisle, ask if they need assistance w/ any other items. Done. Easy-peasy. Or... you can walkie the TM working in the area; "Hey, Bob.... I'm sending a Guest your way, they are looking for night-lights.... could you please help them." Done. Easy-peasy.
Our assistance is critical to a positive Guest Experience. It keeps them coming back. It keeps their $$$ in our stores. It's the difference between a negative score vs a stellar score on our NPS metric. That's the metric the Company is looking at to improve/drive Sales.
And, it all starts w/ Acknowledging the Guest.
Not when they want you to walk them around the whole store to every item but you have a whole uboat of freezer load out and then another guest comes by then two guests at your "service" and 30 minutes go by easy breezy and the freezer load is melting already, plus it doesn't look brand to see a food vehicle unattended for so long. As a shopper, I'd start questioning the food safety and wouldn't want to buy anything that is temperature sensitive. I get that it may work better for certain work centers but there should be TMs on the floor for the guest to ask before they even come to market asking for something that they walked by or is in front of their face. Or they come from the front of the store they have the service desk and GSA/GSTL who they can ask if they are in such a big hurry. In my opinion, I think when they're not being asked they will walk around and buy more than they intended to versus when you take them to the exact item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back