Archived Activating Giftcards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just started working at Target, and I have a question about selling Giftcards.

When a guest puchases a card, they tell me how much they want to put on the card, and I punch it in, and click enter. It then adds that amount to their total. I just wanted to make sure that's all I have to do. Is their card activated?

I just want to make sure I'm not selling useless, inactive cards! Thanks!

For Target gift cards, yes, that's all you do. Card is ready to be used.
For other cards like Subway, you scan the UPC and then the screen will prompt you to scan the activation barcode. All done.
Some guests will ask for a gift receipt for a gift card purchase. You can't hit K6 for these. What you can do is after their receipt prints go through the steps to print a gift receipt. Everything they just bought will be tied to that gift receipt.

For Target gift cards, yes, that's all you do. Card is ready to be used.
For other cards like Subway, you scan the UPC and then the screen will prompt you to scan the activation barcode. All done.
Some guests will ask for a gift receipt for a gift card purchase. You can't hit K6 for these. What you can do is after their receipt prints go through the steps to print a gift receipt. Everything they just bought will be tied to that gift receipt.

Thank you so much!

Some guests will ask for a gift receipt for a gift card purchase.
What is the point of a gift receipt for a gift card? Everything returned using a gift receipt just goes onto a store gift card anyways.

I'm not sure either but it's usually an older person asking for it. I guess some people don't understand all of the technology and are trying to cover their butts should something not turn out correctly. I think they think that the card won't be activated or something. idk

For other cards like Subway, you scan the UPC and then the screen will prompt you to scan the activation barcode.
Actually, you can skip the UPC; just scan the activation barcode & it's done.

This. People who buy large quantities of gift cards (Disney, etc) will look for me and come to my line because they know I know this and will get them through the check out much faster.

Some guests will ask for a gift receipt for a gift card purchase.
What is the point of a gift receipt for a gift card? Everything returned using a gift receipt just goes onto a store gift card anyways.

I'm not sure either but it's usually an older person asking for it. I guess some people don't understand all of the technology and are trying to cover their butts should something not turn out correctly. I think they think that the card won't be activated or something. idk

What the guest really wants is something to show the recipient they paid for it, because they don't trust it will be activated (remember the fiasco last Christmas with the cashiers scanning the q-code instead of the gift card bar code). So I just print them out a slip with the amount on the gift card, and they leave happy.

I had one guest come up to me at guest services, and told me she didn't get a gift receipt with her gift card, and if the cashier had been doing her job correctly, she would have done this without the guest asking. Seriously?

Uhh, typically what they actually want is the slip verifying the amount on the card. To give them that you hit price inquiry, scan the card, and hit K1 to print slip.

EDIT: Reading the whole thread, namely RG's and gstm1854's posts before I responded might've saved me time it seems :p

Uhh, typically what they actually want is the slip verifying the amount on the card. To give them that you hit price inquiry, scan the card, and hit K1 to print slip.

EDIT: Reading the whole thread, namely RG's and gstm1854's posts before I responded might've saved me time it seems :p

The dollar amount and gift card # are stated on the original receipt. People can't match up numbers anymore???

The dollar amount and gift card # are stated on the original receipt. People can't match up numbers anymore???

Not the point, the small slip it prints is just for the gift card, they often put it in the envelopse with the card so the recipient knows how much is on it.

Not the point, the small slip it prints is just for the gift card, they often put it in the envelopse with the card so the recipient knows how much is on it.
It has a space on the back to write the dollar amount in.

It has a space on the back to write the dollar amount in.

Sure, but that is by no means verification that it actually has the money on it as far as the gift recipient will be concerned.

Yeah but guests don't ever ask for a print out of how much is on the gift card; they just ask for a gift receipt, or occasionally they ask for a duplicate receipt. They don't ask for a slip with the balance on it.

Yeah but guests don't ever ask for a print out of how much is on the gift card; they just ask for a gift receipt, or occasionally they ask for a duplicate receipt. They don't ask for a slip with the balance on it.

That's because they don't know how to ask for that. They are asking for something with verification on it, even if that's not the words they are using. We all know what they really want, and when I print out that little slip, they are happy.

How many guests do you get asking for a "gift card" for their purchase when they really mean gift receipt? Same concept. Give them what they want, not what they ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back