Archived AE 2015 Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just skip some steps here and have them submit everything they want fixed and I'll tell them what to do :)

If only it was that simple.

The problem is they really don't know what needs to be fixed, that's why they have to come here in the first place.
Most of them haven't been on the floor in so long (or at all) that they can't really wrap their heads around what you are suggesting so they have to research it first, then try it in a couple of stores to see if it will really work and finally roll it out.
I also think they are hoping you will have forgotten you made the suggestion by that point. ;)

Holy crap it's HomeGoods!

Ha ha, my thoughts exactly. Here are two things I know for sure:

1. A HomeGoods just moved into town less than 2 miles away from our store; prior to that there wasn't one within 25 miles.

2. My store is definitely getting the Home Reinvention, even though we just had a complete remodel within the last year.

Coincidence? I doubt it!

*Edit: This also reminds me of Kohl's. We have one of those about a block away.

Last edited:
Yes, the problem is that Target has invented these "one trick pony" metrics to try and capture a reflection of something important. Electronics profitability is important to talk about, but AAR does not reflect that. Our purpose in Electronics is to get the guest to purchase a main item, and then we want them to ALWAYS come back to us for their accessories for that product.

IMO there should be two programs here. The first is a section of the Target App dedicated to Electronic Items. On your Target.com Account (in the App) you should be able to register purchases for most major main items. If you have a particular system and receipt as "purchased" you can then use that App to get a discount (5%) on all accessories for it. For example, a guest comes in to buy a PS4. We help them out and get them registered on the Target App by getting into this section, scanning the PS4 and scanning the barcode on the receipt with their phone. Now going forward they just go into their "Electronics Rewards" portion of their app and there is a barcode that allows for 5% off all PS4 accessories. Instant loyalty to Target over gamestop, walmart, etc... The point is that selling ONE video game with the ps4 is 100% AAR, but is that guest in particular profitable to Target yet? They will be profitable to Sony over the long run (because they will buy dozens of games over the next few years), but we have no guarantee they are going to keep coming back to us for those games. We need to secure that!

Secondly, we need to just measure Electronics profitability. AAR is stupid. Tell us how profitable we are and if it is a + or - comp over ly. Allow us to use the program above to drive long-term loyalty with guests when it comes to the profitable items in electronics (software and accessories) and to make a big impact on this number. Finally, allow them to manage SRPs through this app as well so they don't have to retain these paper pamphlets. Imagine guests who are most loyal to Target and who use this to get their electronic items. They can have everything in their house "saved" to this app, and pull it up as soon as something goes wrong and with a few swipes send a box to ship it back and to receive a new one. This goes for so many things, and the app will automatically price it for the guest so no mix ups :)

Finally, this could be a great marketing tool to help out entertainment. We know it is an issue and we need to give guests a reason to purchase hard copies of things if we want there to be any sales over there at all. If a guest has registered any device that can play dvds, cds, or blurays we could even give them bigger discounts on those. Perhaps all New Release movies are an additional 20% off if you have a device registered, or something similar... Lets get creative for once :)
We offered 5 percent off a cover for iPads most of fourth quarter to help drive aar. Same with iPod accessories. Not sure how much it helped but loud of guests liked it and I saw less wait to split the transaction to use the gc for a cover, etc going on.

Ha ha, my thoughts exactly. Here are two things I know for sure:

1. A HomeGoods just moved into town less than 2 miles away from our store; prior to that there wasn't one within 25 miles.

2. My store is definitely getting the Home Reinvention, even though we just had a complete remodel within the last year.

Coincidence? I doubt it!

*Edit: This also reminds me of Kohl's. We have one of those about a block away.

The Kohls that is close to my store is much much closer than a block, way closer.. Like a parking lot close.

The Kohls that is close to my store is much much closer than a block, way closer.. Like a parking lot close.
There is a Khols thats very close to a SuperTarget in my district. Parking lot close, too. Surrounded by Marshalls and a home store called At Home <-- thats a pretty awesome store.

to those stores who don't have self check out and may be getting them - I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry..my heart goes out to you...Many days I want to smack the guests hands - the ones who take the item off the scale, then put it back on, wait for me to get there, tell me why it happened (as if I don't know why the machine called me over) and then proceed to remove the item again right after I put my numbers in. On a few occasions I have said - step away from the scale and don't touch anything, let me finish what I am doing.

Instocks. Please, Target (aka RockLobster) - fix instocks. We don't need 50 of the same size 12mo top in baby, but we do need gallons of distilled water.... toilet paper, etc. The basics.

That just comes down to our buying strategy and buyer accountability (in addition to some poor supply chain operations). Ultimately Target needs to support its product with the best gross margin and find ways to drive those as much as possible. Food is a tool to use to get guests in the building, but its not where our bread winners are at.

That just comes down to our buying strategy and buyer accountability (in addition to some poor supply chain operations). Ultimately Target needs to support its product with the best gross margin and find ways to drive those as much as possible. Food is a tool to use to get guests in the building, but its not where our bread winners are at.

But if we don't have the water enough times we won't even get them in the door.

Conversion isn't going away but there is certain goals for each store depending on last years results. AAR is not counting for AE anymore :). Also a really big one , controllable expense is not on AE anymore. So we can all go crazy on ordering things starting Feb. They are also adding digital sales and FF metrics to AE ( the metric for FF they already post on the vibe board ). There are no changes to the org charts , only things different is the thresholds have been raised slightly ( the amount of sales you need to make certain org charts). A new thing also the company is focusing on is the second phase of its reninvention pilot. Some store have already been doing it , but about 100+ stores this year will be testing various amounts of the reinventions : the new E&E experience, store pickup, self -checkout, baby 360,IGS, adding a clinic and the home reinvention . These reinvention stores will receive more info on this in March. All stores doing this will also recieve a ETL- remodel during remodel for these reinventions.
Was anything about food mentioned in the reinvention? An interview with Brian Cornell last year mentioned he wanted to add more organic selections. Honestly I think we have too much diversity in organic produce; I throw away most of it daily. Could be a local thing, though.

^^ I haven't heard anything about food, but the electronics, baby and home are getting remodeled. The Electronics remodel that is more "apple store" the Baby 360 and the Home reinvention all are happening to my store.. This year is so going to suck.. The Pfresh remodel sucked bad enough, but three sections getting redone! We are so fucked.

^^ I haven't heard anything about food, but the electronics, baby and home are getting remodeled. The Electronics remodel that is more "apple store" the Baby 360 and the Home reinvention all are happening to my store.. This year is so going to suck.. The Pfresh remodel sucked bad enough, but three sections getting redone! We are so fucked.

What kind of store are you in terms of sales per year because DAMN that's a lot

I'm not certain about Bosch, but my store is AA (I believe that's the term?), and thus far we've gotten Baby-360, the mannequins for SL, will be getting the E&E Experience remodel in time for Summer, will be getting the Home Reinvention at the same time, and will also be getting self checkout, and an overhauled front-end.

So... Things should be rather interesting in the next 2-4 months!

I'm not certain about Bosch, but my store is AA (I believe that's the term?), and thus far we've gotten Baby-360, the mannequins for SL, will be getting the E&E Experience remodel in time for Summer, will be getting the Home Reinvention at the same time, and will also be getting self checkout, and an overhauled front-end.

So... Things should be rather interesting in the next 2-4 months!

Oh you'e getting integrated guest service for your front end?

All stores have creepy mannequins :p

150k-270k in sales average depending on day of the week. My store is the 2nd largest in my state. We are also in line for ship from store. Our inventory is the largest in our state, one other store does more $$$ in sales. But they sell more of specific products vs we do more in overall products. A baby 360 would be extra thousands in sales for us a day with our customer base from I have read about it.

Far as I've noticed no big changes have trickled down at our store yet. Flow TL kind of freaked out when I mentioned seeing that some stores were switching to the 7:30am process,but couldn't tell if ours was one (I doubt it is). Whoops.

My store doesn't have mannequins.
You just haven't noticed them yet. Some of them are very good at blending in.

nrXif9YExO9EI.gif

I.. I like the mannequins. The baby ones were creepy at first. And I hate the way the men mannequins stand and the fact that they all have 6 packs and #DatV. But I mostly like them. They give a better idea of how the clothes fit on a body.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new metrics brought my store to #1 in the district for vibe scores apparently. We were doing better, but I don't think we were even close to #1 before the change. I'm guessing this means we had a bunch of 8s keeping us down...

The expectations are gonna grow with this change, I think.

They should grade based on a scale, IE it shows what % of your scores were 10s, 9s, 8s, etc, giving you a bar graph or something similar. Then grade based on that somehow. I'm sure I'll get some good ideas in response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back