Ages of new TM's

Any other stores only hiring TM's who are in their teens and early twenties? If so, are they also more critical of older workers at the same time? Looks like some age discrimination going on.

Most applicants I see come in for interviews are young. As such most people hired are young, but I don't see any actual age discrimination.

Last edited:
We also have a wide range of people getting interviewed. I even saw a lady with some disability who got hired as a cashier . She even gets accommodation at her register. I felt proud of our store for doing this good thing .
But I feel mostly young TMs are applying for the seasonal job . May be that’s why the OP felt that way:

This has been happening for the last 9 months. With all the unemployed people right now, it just seems odd that only young people are getting hired. And the increase of older workers being criticized for little things seems to be happening more and more.

My store will hire anyone 16+. Leadership is young however with most Tls and ETls being in the 25-35 range.

All ages at my store, but the applicants just tend to be younger.

My store's hiring standards are along the lines of "Do you have a pulse? You're hired!" so that may be an ASANTS thing.

I'm 42, but if I were much older I'd be hesitant to work in a public role in a pandemic, if I had other options. Even before COVID we get far more high school/college aged kids than older folks in our applicant pools.

Targets demographic is mid 20-30s so doesn't shock me we higher younger kids. The ETLS roll right in off their College graduation. We have older tms and high school kids. The high school kids are coached more than the older tms but they can work the physically demanding freight. The older tms are dependable but do the bare minimum.

Targets demographic is mid 20-30s so doesn't shock me we higher younger kids. The ETLS roll right in off their College graduation. We have older tms and high school kids. The high school kids are coached more than the older tms but they can work the physically demanding freight. The older tms are dependable but do the bare minimum.

Not this old bitch. I love lifting weights of cat litter and dog food.

We're critical of anyone that needs criticism. It probably seems like older people get criticized more, but then again they have been here longer and have more people they feel comfortable complaining to. Hire more youngsters, but then again haven't had anyone over 25 apply in awhile. Most of the ones that I have interviewed need a schedule I can't accommodate (want shifts while the kids are in school. I can do early, I can do late, but early mids I don't have.)

You can only hire those that apply. That is the wave of online applications.

I had an older guy bite my head off one time while I was walking by him complaining he couldn't do the old kiosk application because of arthritis and the ADA stated that Target must hire him. Found HR to meet this nice fellow.

we have a range of ages but they have to be told the expectations and be able to meet them can’t have a slow teen on OPU or a slow older gentleman ... but I think Age discrimination is not considered until age 40

We used to have a range, but recently it’s been all college aged/ fresh out of high school hires. I’m a college student, so I obviously am not going to complain about that, BUT we’ve fallen into hard times because all of them (LITERALLY ALL OF THEM) put open or pretty open availability and then were like “oh yeah, i start school tomorrow, so this week’s sched and next week’s sched... i can’t come in.”

Suddenly, they have no availability and my ETL is just like “ok cool.” and tells my TL it’s her responsibility to find coverage.

Last edited:
Back