Archived Angry "Extreme" couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't even get me started! I've been a GSA for ~6 months and have to combat coupon fraud and scams multiple times per week. The biggest thing as of late are fake coupons which is so ridiculous... Trying to get my cashiers up to par with being able to detect fakes and sketchy behavior/purchasing habits to look out for, but it's rough. Fraud is always going to happen, it's just trying to find a manner by which to limit it.

As far as scammer "types", there are the angry, sketchy (usually SCO scammers), amateur, "don't call the manager over", resellers, and normals.

I've dealt with all of them before. We have one guest who will come in once every two-three weeks and use all legitimate manufacturers coupons for free items! It's crazy, he must buy them or know a guy or something. We got in a yelling match once because he was trying to use multiple that said "one per purchase", and I kept my eye one him previously because he came in to return an item he got for free when I was at GS. I told him we couldn't accept more than one free coupon for the multiple items and we could divide the transactions up.... Aaaaand he was still livid. He ended up going back around to another line and my other fellow GSA put everything through.

Self checkout scammers are the worst. They understand the SCO system and how it'll accept almost any coupon without notification/a system message. It's crazy.

I could go on & on.

Has anyone experienced baby registry fraud?? They put non baby items like soda, cosmetics, food items, shampoo, and the like? Then they get a 15% off coupon when the end of the registry gets closer to the "date". Then they return it for money. One came through a newer cashiers line. Now we have to get approval to do any sort of registry.

As a cashier, I went from loathing coupon scammers/ glitch couponers to enjoying shutting them down. I was taught some tricks by my GSTL and now I will shut my light off, bag all the crap in a single bag despite their complaints, and when they hand me the coupons, I'll dump the bag right back out and verify every. single. one.

Because I'm in my mid 20s but look 16-18, they'll always peg me for new or inexperienced. That's unfitting profiling for them, as I know as many tricks as them "Sorry, this barcode is torn, I can't take it." "Sorry, I can't let you break up transactions, one per day." "No ma'am, I don't believe you can cash in a coupon for Pampers jumbo diapers for a pack of wipes" "this is 6.7 ounces, the coupon is for 7 or more. I can't take this."

And as for self, I'm often at the register near SCO, so I can help people and pull double duty to help my GSA/GSTL. If their coupons get flagged, suddenly I'm just so busy ringing people out I just can't find the time to help them, and I don't even know how to do self check. Bottom line, I'm not approving any coupon crap in SCO, I have no issue letting that red light blink for a quarter hour, and I'll let the GSTL know "eventually" and he or she will suspend it and bring it to my lane.

I don't mind anyone using coupons in the way they're supposed to. But scammers and resellers I show little mercy to, and it does please me to shut them down, as they always kind of come off as rude and selfish/entitled, disrupt store flow, and, well, are committing a crime. Get a job. Pulling this shit hurts payroll. I'm not letting them take money from the store or me if I can help it.

Don't even get me started! I've been a GSA for ~6 months and have to combat coupon fraud and scams multiple times per week. The biggest thing as of late are fake coupons which is so ridiculous... Trying to get my cashiers up to par with being able to detect fakes and sketchy behavior/purchasing habits to look out for, but it's rough. Fraud is always going to happen, it's just trying to find a manner by which to limit it.

As far as scammer "types", there are the angry, sketchy (usually SCO scammers), amateur, "don't call the manager over", resellers, and normals.

I've dealt with all of them before. We have one guest who will come in once every two-three weeks and use all legitimate manufacturers coupons for free items! It's crazy, he must buy them or know a guy or something. We got in a yelling match once because he was trying to use multiple that said "one per purchase".

That's a fairly common misinterpretation. Each item the guest gets is a "purchase". If you sift thru some of the coupons in a drawer, you'll see some marked "One per purchase" and ALSO marked "Limit 2 like coupons per transaction/person/shopping trip" (Take your pick as to which wording you'll see as each manufacturer words it a bit differently.

My point is, the manufacturer doesn't want you using multiple manufacturer coupons on one item, and at times takes it a step further and limits how many of their 'like' coupons you can use in one day.

In fact, going thru my coupons, I have one for Ragu that has this statement: "LIMIT ONE (1) PER PURCHASE of product/quantity specified and MAXIMUM OF TWO IDENTICAL COUPONS allowed in same shopping trip." I wish they all laid it out so clearly, it would make it so much easier to train all of the front end properly. I had to educate the GSAs and GSTLs at my store.

Do you ever look at the CIC to see what the current fraudulent coupons are currently? My understanding that is they are now comming from China, just like fake IDs and purses, and look pretty convincing. Since eBay cracked down on selling coupons, I have to scratch my head as to where your guest is buying legitimate free item coupons.

That's a fairly common misinterpretation. Each item the guest gets is a "purchase". If you sift thru some of the coupons in a drawer, you'll see some marked "One per purchase" and ALSO marked "Limit 2 like coupons per transaction/person/shopping trip" (Take your pick as to which wording you'll see as each manufacturer words it a bit differently.

My point is, the manufacturer doesn't want you using multiple manufacturer coupons on one item, and at times takes it a step further and limits how many of their 'like' coupons you can use in one day.

In fact, going thru my coupons, I have one for Ragu that has this statement: "LIMIT ONE (1) PER PURCHASE of product/quantity specified and MAXIMUM OF TWO IDENTICAL COUPONS allowed in same shopping trip." I wish they all laid it out so clearly, it would make it so much easier to train all of the front end properly. I had to educate the GSAs and GSTLs at my store.

Do you ever look at the CIC to see what the current fraudulent coupons are currently? My understanding that is they are now comming from China, just like fake IDs and purses, and look pretty convincing. Since eBay cracked down on selling coupons, I have to scratch my head as to where your guest is buying legitimate free item coupons.

Yes, one per purchase refers to one coupon per item being purchased. It's okay to use up to four of those, even if it's all in one transaction. I believe Target has this stated in the coupon policy. Now, the one per transaction or one per household ones are different.

I used to try to look at CIC to stay updated with fraudulent coupons. Frankly, there's just too many and they're too convincing for me to bother. The only time I really look hard at the printed coupons is for when they're for a high dollar amount. It's my understanding that Target will be rolling out a new POS update that will be able to better match coupons and cut down on fake coupons going through.

I honestly wish Target stores put up Coupon Policies EVERYWHERE. We updated it like late July or something and cock knockers keep coming to the checklanes with a bunch of coupons buying only 1 item on a "1.00 off every 3" or something. We spoiled customers because before we could just scan them without looking and the system would let it go through, but now it doesn't so we can't just do that and when customers actually give us coupons that don't work they make things up and say "I bought that many" or don't understand you can't stack coupons on one item anymore.

I honestly wish Target stores put up Coupon Policies EVERYWHERE. We updated it like late July or something and cock knockers keep coming to the checklanes with a bunch of coupons buying only 1 item on a "1.00 off every 3" or something. We spoiled customers because before we could just scan them without looking and the system would let it go through, but now it doesn't so we can't just do that and when customers actually give us coupons that don't work they make things up and say "I bought that many" or don't understand you can't stack coupons on one item anymore.

....you were just accepting coupons without looking at them before?

As a cashier, I went from loathing coupon scammers/ glitch couponers to enjoying shutting them down. I was taught some tricks by my GSTL and now I will shut my light off, bag all the crap in a single bag despite their complaints, and when they hand me the coupons, I'll dump the bag right back out and verify every. single. one.

I don't mind anyone using coupons in the way they're supposed to. But scammers and resellers I show little mercy to, and it does please me to shut them down, as they always kind of come off as rude and selfish/entitled, disrupt store flow, and, well, are committing a crime. Get a job. Pulling this shit hurts payroll. I'm not letting them take money from the store or me if I can help it.

OK I'm failing to see why you would cram all their things into one bag, and then dump them out. How would that make you feel as a guest? I understand checking the product to match the coupon, but if they end up not buying the items then you're just damaging merchandise. Also to note reselling, in most cases, isn't illegal, and distinguishing between those who resell, donate, share, are buying for others in general, or just have a large family is virtually impossible. You shouldn't take invalid coupons, but taking excitement in causing them trouble does seem counter productive. I've been the one getting coupons, and giving, so I can see both sides. Not only does it delay us, and the line, but being that person causing the hold up is embarrassing. Most people that coupon couldn't afford to live without couponing so treating them poorly will only embarrass them further. At least they're not spending government money, they're taking money from big corporations who have CEO's that make millions. I once had a cashier tell me that "one per purchase" meant I could only use one coupon on my entire order. I had another try to refuse my coupon because my item wasn't pictured on it, despite it saying "ANY Xbrand product". I've had cashier's say they couldn't accept my coupon because it exceeded the price of the product, despite the policy saying otherwise. When you run into cashier's who don't understand their own policy you have to have a stand firm attitude. It doesn't help that different stores have their own policies. I heard that many different stores are going to stop taking the printable coupons because of all the fraud. Takes a couple bad apples to ruin the whole bunch. If they try to give you expired ones tell them to troops overseas, they can still use them lol. Some people are unreasonable and should be shut down, but not all are crazy. I wish they would fully verse all cashier's on proper coupon acceptance and how to spot fraud, maybe fewer of us would end up jaded.

they're taking money from big corporations who have CEO's that make millions.
And when enough people abuse said policy, that corporation takes notice because it DOES affect their bottom line which lead to the most recent policy & POS changes.
As to 'fully versing all cashiers on proper coupon acceptance', the flip side is unscrupulous couponers who look specifically for new cashiers who may not know better & can be bullied.
So yeh, most couponers leave a bad taste in our mouths for very valid reasons.

This is the drama thats been going on at All Target Stores around the globe... Looked up this person's IG acct and she lives in Houston. But out store has alot of these too... And i am on the west coast

@TheAlohaWay I wonder how she got those loose meat coupons ....... well, I guess the most plausible explanation is that she must be friends with a PA. Or a PA was dumb enough to leave a roll out that someone could grab.

Found another one selling some... Illegal ? Am i right?

Yep, illegal.
Prolly an ex-TM who grabbed several rolls before their final exit.

Ironically at a local store, not mine they've seemed to really fail at putting these on beef, and majorly failing at taking expired meat off the shelves. One night, no exaggeration, I found 15-20 expired packages, and I think the stocker was actually mad at me for making her take them off the shelves and into the back! Probably because she had just gotten done with stocking the ground beef, at least she thought she was don't that's nasty for real.

Yep, no excuse for that.
Even with hours cut to the bone that shouldn't be happening.
A regional groc chain in our area had a deal that - if you found expired product - you'd get one free (not the expired one, either). It kept them on their toes.

And when enough people abuse said policy, that corporation takes notice because it DOES affect their bottom line which lead to the most recent policy & POS changes.
As to 'fully versing all cashiers on proper coupon acceptance', the flip side is unscrupulous couponers who look specifically for new cashiers who may not know better & can be bullied.
So yeh, most couponers leave a bad taste in our mouths for very valid reasons.
When I was talking about about them money coming out of the co's pocket i was referring to legitimate couponers, not the ones committing fraud. Just remember there's a reason in the justice system you're supposed to be considered innocent until proven guilty. I go for the younger cashier's because if they have a misunderstanding of the policy, they're more reasonable and will ask for help. Also they're more polite, and less likely to dump out my bags like trash.

I honestly want to know what the hell some of these people do with all of the crap they buy....the ones that don't return it, that is. I've watched Extreme Couponers and seen the people with garages and basements full of stuff. The ones who donate it, good for them, but the ones who just "build their stockpile" baffle me. I mean, honestly, does anyone really need 100 bottles of shampoo or sticks of deodorant? I can see if you have a large family, but even then, it would take a couple years to go through that much....and they just keep buying MORE!?!?!?
My kids burn through shampoo like crazy and I always have friends and family who use it. Some resell it too. So it really all goes to good use.

Sadly, we have to have that mentality because of the many many scammers that we do get. Not all coupon scammers are as obvious as doing multiple transactions, cleaning out shelves, and such. So we have to make sure that we are following the rules and limitations of every coupon.
But because of the unreasonable ones, we have to be vigilant and make sure that we are following all the rules of the coupons.
People always remember the scammers because it's absurd and a down right despicable thing to do, and that's easier to remember than a couponer who gives you their coupons and all match up and everyone leaves happy. It's like that one time you refused to do your class work, the teacher will forever remember that day, but couldn't remember any other time (specifically) that you just sat there and worked. The bad things stand out in our mind, more so than the normal everyday mundane things. Saying you "have to have that mentality" is an excuse for treating people poorly because of a limited amount of others. That's like saying I have to the mentality that all black people are thieves, because of the many many black people that are thieves. You should maintain your vigilance not because some people are corrupt, but because it's our job. Just like it's our job to make sure every item scans, not because people will try to steal by distracting us, or try to talk us into it. Honestly there's been a time or two where cashier's starting peeling coupons off of items and scanning them, after I handed them my coupons for those items. I had to stop him, and he even said well it scanned, don't you want to do the rest of them? He did a good job spotting them and trying to help me, but it was his job not to take extras and be vigilant of that also. There's been times I made the earnest mistake of trying to use 4 like coupons when it said only 2 like coupons, once time it was in a very odd spot and the cashier told me and I apologized, and she said she would have never seen it had her manager not informed all of the cashier's. Some people are scammers, but ALL people should be treated like customers we want to continue shopping at our stores. We need to keep a good, honest, opinion of our store, even to couponers because those who do it right bring in more money than those who pay with cash (there's an $0.08 handling fee we get reimbursed for too).

Sure we can. A consumer can never force a business to do business with them. We can also flat out refuse to accept a coupon even if it is a valid coupon for the appropriate item. The guest equally has the right to opt to not buy the item(s) without the coupons.
You can but that builds a bad reputation, and just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Just like they can commit fraud, doesn't mean they should.

Why's that @Target NPC ? Because Im still pleasantly optimistic and I haven't let life suck the hope outta me? LOL no I'm just a Mormon. My hubby is the same way at his job, not. Sorry I just believe in being positive and positive things come your way also being able to see both sides of things is important and fundamental when you deal with people every day. They are the reason I have a paycheck, and I need them to come back if i wanna keep getting them. Unless they're stealing, and that's what fraud is.

Why's that @Target NPC ? Because Im still pleasantly optimistic and I haven't let life suck the hope outta me? LOL no I'm just a Mormon. My hubby is the same way at his job, not. Sorry I just believe in being positive and positive things come your way also being able to see both sides of things is important and fundamental when you deal with people every day. They are the reason I have a paycheck, and I need them to come back if i wanna keep getting them. Unless they're stealing, and that's what fraud is.
I'm religious as well, but that doesn't really matter in this situation. What matters is ensuring the policy is followed and every coupon the guest has is aligned with the items they're purchasing.

I'm religious as well, but that doesn't really matter in this situation. What matters is ensuring the policy is followed and every coupon the guest has is aligned with the items they're purchasing.

Yeah of course and I never said different, what I said was, using coupons as an excuse to be rude or nasty to people is just wrong. Like cramming all their stuff in one bag, or dumping it out, or just refusing to accept them because you can. There's a huge difference between making sure everything matches, and behaving as if they're all scammers and thieves who are trying to give us a hard time. SOME customers are despicable but ALL customers should be treated with respect. Kill em with kindness. There's nothing that gets to a criminal more than being kind to them when they are mad, and earnest people will respect you more for your understanding and following policy.

Yeah of course and I never said different, what I said was, using coupons as an excuse to be rude or nasty to people is just wrong. Like cramming all their stuff in one bag, or dumping it out, or just refusing to accept them because you can. There's a huge difference between making sure everything matches, and behaving as if they're all scammers and thieves who are trying to give us a hard time. SOME customers are despicable but ALL customers should be treated with respect. Kill em with kindness. There's nothing that gets to a criminal more than being kind to them when they are mad, and earnest people will respect you more for your understanding and following policy.

Yeah Yeah, quit trying to justify your bad habit. No one here hates people whom use legitimate coupons. This is a thread about fraudulent use. You're of lower intelligence if that needed clarification.

Every guest should be treated with courtesy and respect. Sales are down and payroll is tight so making sure every guest has a good check out experience is more important than ever. We can do our jobs without being unpleasant. Fast, fun and friendly is our brand. Also, I'm really disappointed when I see someone start making a discussion personal by using insults instead of logic.

tossin1.gif

Oh brother. Keep that talk at work about how to kiss ass at work. This is a thread for venting. People that think they're above the policy and think they can trick their way into free merchandise are scum. Few things make me feel better than getting to express that somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back