Archived Angry "Extreme" couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Yeah, quit trying to justify your bad habit. No one here hates people whom use legitimate coupons. This is a thread about fraudulent use. You're of lower intelligence if that needed clarification.
What "bad habit" are you referring to? Denying coupons, even if they're valid just because you can, and dumping people's bags out isn't something people do unless you hate customers with coupons. Get a grip dude and so picking fights, just to troll people. Hope you can understand that.

Oh brother. Keep that talk at work about how to kiss ass at work. This is a thread for venting. People that think they're above the policy and think they can trick their way into free merchandise are scum. Few things make me feel better than getting to express that somewhere.
Yeah and I never said they were good people. Don't hate on me because you hate your job.

No I completely agree, people scamming this system are awful people, and I'm happy that we can now keep tabs on those who do it repeatedly. I just really expected more horror stories, not much pettyness. If you look back I liked many comments about them getting shut down, however on some of them the cashier seemed to take it too far. Trust me they complain about cashier's not knowing their stuff, and trying to makeup their own rules, as much as we talk about all the crazy scams they come up with to cheat the store. I have a cousin who does that crap, and she brags about how little she spent on things and posts pictures. It infuriated me to the point I want to see if she can even do it the right way. Personally I love getting stuff for free, but I check my math and double check my purchase to make sure I don't hold up the line any more than I have to, and will even let customers cut me because I know they'll be quick but I won't. I used to be on food stamps, and I caught dirty glares about it, so I coupon to make ends me now, and still get dirty looks lol honestly though if there's any problems with my purchase it's 70% the system glitching, 25% the cashier having a misunderstanding and 5% my error. But if it weren't for people like my cousin I wouldn't have half the problems with cashier's or the system being so locked down. So yeah those jerks make us furious, and in MOST of the coupon forums I've seen if you share a deal using coupons fraudulently they immediately block you, wether you did it on purpose or not. I really don't care if cashier's matchup my coupons with products, not even a little bit, but I do hate when they just dump out my bags like it's garbage. Produce really can get damaged when they do that. Freaking every job now days (of all 3 I've had in the past 5 years) never fully train people for their position, and that just makes more hassle for managers and cs. I love my store, most of us are really friendly... I know people are venting and that's why I say "kill em with kindness" because then they have no reason to complain, and you've followed the rules, and nothing gets to the scammers more than when they're mad and you're unaffected. I keep a policy with me, just Incase they want to argue.

OK I'm failing to see why you would cram all their things into one bag, and then dump them out. How would that make you feel as a guest? I understand checking the product to match the coupon, but if they end up not buying the items then you're just damaging merchandise. Also to note reselling, in most cases, isn't illegal, and distinguishing between those who resell, donate, share, are buying for others in general, or just have a large family is virtually impossible. You shouldn't take invalid coupons, but taking excitement in causing them trouble does seem counter productive. I've been the one getting coupons, and giving, so I can see both sides. Not only does it delay us, and the line, but being that person causing the hold up is embarrassing. Most people that coupon couldn't afford to live without couponing so treating them poorly will only embarrass them further. At least they're not spending government money, they're taking money from big corporations who have CEO's that make millions. I once had a cashier tell me that "one per purchase" meant I could only use one coupon on my entire order. I had another try to refuse my coupon because my item wasn't pictured on it, despite it saying "ANY Xbrand product". I've had cashier's say they couldn't accept my coupon because it exceeded the price of the product, despite the policy saying otherwise. When you run into cashier's who don't understand their own policy you have to have a stand firm attitude. It doesn't help that different stores have their own policies. I heard that many different stores are going to stop taking the printable coupons because of all the fraud. Takes a couple bad apples to ruin the whole bunch. If they try to give you expired ones tell them to troops overseas, they can still use them lol. Some people are unreasonable and should be shut down, but not all are crazy. I wish they would fully verse all cashier's on proper coupon acceptance and how to spot fraud, maybe fewer of us would end up jaded.

Allow me to clarify. When I put all 20 of your boxes of Tylenol and whatever else into one bag, it's usually because I've been warned of you before you've even entered my lane, because based on the items you have I already know what coupons you're gonna try and use, and because, from experience, I've had couponers where I carefully bagged all theirs stuff, and this just wasted more of my time and energy since it gets dumped in reshop anyways. Furthermore, it's much easier to root through one bag than 20.

No merchandise is damaged, I don't literally dump. I usually just take the bag and pull all the contents back out. And even so, the products aren't particualy fragile.

That said, I absolutely do not care one bit of that makes the guest feel bad. Because while resale isn't illegal, coupon fraud is, and I lose any respect I have for them as a human being, let alone a shopper, when they start trying to scam the system. Yes, I do take a perverse joy in shutting down an asshole at work. I spend 99 percent of my day gritting my teeth and being polite, so it's very cathartic. I'll own it, it may not be the most desirable human trait in the world, schaudenfraude, but alas.

I'm also gonna throw out there, trying to defend couponers scamming by saying "at least they're taking money from big corporations" is foolhardy. These people are committing coupon fraud, they don't deserve defense or protection, and when the stores lose money because so many couponers, do you think the CEO and boardroom responds with policy or change that helps or hurts you as a cashier? They are indirectly robbing you as well, and on top of it, if you let enough of them though, I'm sure you could work up to a CCA or coaching, which directly impacts your job and livelyhood in a negative way.

I was actually less jaded before I was taught about coupon fraud, I probably let a couple of real fraudulent people through. I do agree with you, they should teach cashiers more, I didn't get any instruction until after six months of working.

I'm also gonna throw out there, trying to defend couponers scamming by saying "at least they're taking money from big corporations" is foolhardy. These people are committing coupon fraud, they don't deserve defense or protection, and when the stores lose money because so many couponers, do you think the CEO and boardroom responds with policy or change that helps or hurts you as a cashier? They are indirectly robbing you as well, and on top of it, if you let enough of them though, I'm sure you could work up to a CCA or coaching, which directly impacts your job and livelyhood in a negative way.
OK obviously you misunderstand couponers=people who use coupons to purchase items matching sales to available coupons and/or rebates. Scammers=people who defraud the system in any way possible to gain advantage. Most scammers aren't really couponers, they don't buy sale items, they don't even understand how real couponers get their deals because either they're too lazy or stupid to understand. Yes some do understand but are desperate, or lazy. Scammers are almost as bad as shoplifters, and yes I've thought about the fact that I might not have to use coupons is people didn't steal, scam, and use coupons fraudulently, the company would maybe then be able to give me a raise. The point I was trying to make is many couponers (not scammers, I use the two terms to differentiate) stay off of government assistance, by using coupons (which is the co's $$) to buy items instead. Freaking scammers just make it harder almost impossible to get the items they need, and hurt employees too.

You do realize that just because we complain about people on this website doesn't mean we use that attitude IRL right?
This is where people come to bitch about Target. Same with r/target and a lot of othe reddits for major companies.

I realize some do and some don't, just trying to help diffuse the tension, but alas I failed. Sometimes i swear people enjoy getting offended, and reuse to look at things from another POV.

OK obviously you misunderstand couponers=people who use coupons to purchase items matching sales to available coupons and/or rebates. Scammers=people who defraud the system in any way possible to gain advantage. Most scammers aren't really couponers, they don't buy sale items, they don't even understand how real couponers get their deals because either they're too lazy or stupid to understand. Yes some do understand but are desperate, or lazy. Scammers are almost as bad as shoplifters, and yes I've thought about the fact that I might not have to use coupons is people didn't steal, scam, and use coupons fraudulently, the company would maybe then be able to give me a raise. The point I was trying to make is many couponers (not scammers, I use the two terms to differentiate) stay off of government assistance, by using coupons (which is the co's $$) to buy items instead. Freaking scammers just make it harder almost impossible to get the items they need, and hurt employees too.

Most couponers I'm totally fine with. It is only the ones who are trying to commit coupon fraud. It's less I don't understand, I'm just not using proper semantics. As you said, you're using the terms to differentiate, I'm not, thats my bad and I think where a lot of the misunderstanding is coming from. And I'm not really rude to the scammers, I just don't bother making small talk or chit chat, which I normally do with most couponers.

And SalesfloorSylph makes a solid point. Most if not all of the irate things I write are not vocalized in person. Sometimes venting here is a healthy way to get the irritation of retail out, a lot of what I think in my head I don't even have the nerve to say if I could get away with it.

I get your point of view, I really have no issue with majority couponers, it just comes down to semantics (I'll call scammers couponers and I think that's causing confusion as you are seeing me as being angry at anyone with a coupon) but I'm talking specifically about the really scummy and innapropriate use of coupons, which is exclusive to the subsection of scammers. Your POV seems to be aimed towards the well behaved majority--since my original post was not, your POV just doesn't necessarily apply.

I realize some do and some don't, just trying to help diffuse the tension, but alas I failed. Sometimes i swear people enjoy getting offended, and reuse to look at things from another POV.

That was not your intention. Why lie to yourself? What actually happened, is you were probably googling about coupons because you had nothing better to do, and you stumbled upon this thread. You got offended by what you read, so you joined thinking you were going to clear the reputation of all couponers. You're insecure about your hobby, so you came online to try and clear your name.

It's a moot contribution, because as already stated, fair and legitimate coupons use is fine. THIS discussion is about fraud and a place for workers to vent. The fact you made such an effort leads me to believe that you have a guilty conscious, madame! I suggest you look into yourself and figure out why that is.

You're the first one to get offended here when I pointed out that you don't work for Target. Lastly, learn some grammar. I can barely read your inane rambling with all the run on sentences and the lack of indentation for each new paragraph.

Most couponers I'm totally fine with. It is only the ones who are trying to commit coupon fraud. It's less I don't understand, I'm just not using proper semantics. As you said, you're using the terms to differentiate, I'm not, thats my bad and I think where a lot of the misunderstanding is coming from.
I get your point of view, I really have no issue with majority couponers, it just comes down to semantics (I'll call scammers couponers and I think that's causing confusion as you are seeing me as being angry at anyone with a coupon) but I'm talking specifically about the really scummy and innapropriate use of coupons, which is exclusive to the subsection of scammers. Your POV seems to be aimed towards the well behaved majority--since my original post was not, your POV just doesn't necessarily apply.

Always a huge red flag for me.

Also pretty sure if the coupon exceeds the price of the product you don't add it anyway. Can't make the total go into the negatives. Sorry but I'm pretty sure a 5 dollar coupon for a 2.50 dollar product isn't gonna work

Yeah I view it the same way I do religion, you can call yourself Christian, or Muslim, but unless you really strive to follow the teachings (which teach both peace and love) then people shouldn't call you that. EG Bin laden called himself Muslim, but really wasn't because he didn't practice the religion, same with the unibomber who claimed to be a Christian. @SalesFloorSylph you really can especially if the item is on sale or clearance. It's not often it happens but it's coupons straight outta the newspaper. Now we're not allowed to give overage but most other places give it in a GC or allow them to put the overage towards other items since the store gets the full value of the coupon, not the price of the product. Me and my husband were watching that show extreme couponers and he was talking about how hard it must be, and I took it as a challenge lol my best friend worked at Target for a couple years and world always give me a heads up when things went on clearance. Then she ended up becoming a CNA and I moved 8hrs away, and thought it would rock if I had the employee discount too and they were seasonally hiring. I really can't stand those people that forget their money, and when they get back with their money expect you to stop everything you're doing to help them.

Yeah I view it the same way I do religion, you can call yourself Christian, or Muslim, but unless you really strive to follow the teachings (which teach both peace and love) then people shouldn't call you that. EG Bin laden called himself Muslim, but really wasn't because he didn't practice the religion, same with the unibomber who claimed to be a Christian. @SalesFloorSylph you really can especially if the item is on sale or clearance. It's not often it happens but it's coupons straight outta the newspaper. Now we're not allowed to give overage but most other places give it in a GC or allow them to put the overage towards other items since the store gets the full value of the coupon, not the price of the product. Me and my husband were watching that show extreme couponers and he was talking about how hard it must be, and I took it as a challenge lol my best friend worked at Target for a couple years and world always give me a heads up when things went on clearance. Then she ended up becoming a CNA and I moved 8hrs away, and thought it would rock if I had the employee discount too and they were seasonally hiring. I really can't stand those people that forget their money, and when they get back with their money expect you to stop everything you're doing to help them.

The Secrets to Good Paragraph Writing:

Also pretty sure if the coupon exceeds the price of the product you don't add it anyway. Can't make the total go into the negatives. Sorry but I'm pretty sure a 5 dollar coupon for a 2.50 dollar product isn't gonna work
I've used coupons that exceeded the cost of the item and they've always just adjusted it down to the price of the item.

I've used coupons that exceeded the cost of the item and they've always just adjusted it down to the price of the item.
Ahhhh okay. I know sometimes it's not been accepted because I think sometimes they exclude trial sized items (I think?)

Getting back to the topic of the thread, my store has had to adjust its coupon policy due to extreme profit loss due to fraudulent coupons. This, of course, is really unfair to the people who actually read the fine print of their coupons and play by the rules. But the whole point of a business is to make money, and when you have a whole group of couponers coming through and only spending $9 on a purchase valued at over one hundred dollars, you have some major issues. Target has tried to fix this issue by creating the very wonderful Cartwheel app. Alas, there are still so many websites out there that provide fake coupons. At my store, if the coupon is for more than a few dollars, its a huge red flag. I will normally bring a GSA, LOD, or TL over to approve or decline a coupon that is worth more than the average coupon.

My store is also not a Super Target. Our guest flow is definitely not what a lot of larger stores see in the area. A lot of our guests that live off couponing (most of which don't speak english) don't argue too much when we explain the new policy. They will typically buy the amount that will be acceptable for their coupon needs (i.e. instead of buying 4 shampoos with 4 coupons, they'll get one with one) or they just decide to go use their coupons at Wal-Mart. It sucks having to deal with those who don't play by the rules. Its the same as when people come through with fake checks or "found" receipts for returns. But its part of the job.

I had a lady try to use a coupon on a free item. She was PO when I handed back her coupon and the free $5 gc coupon. I like free stuff just like the next person but common sense. She refused to go get another item. You can get out of my line....

I really hate it when something goes wrong with a coupon or two so the guest just leaves all their shit at my register. Like, I don't have room for 20 bottles of shampoo in my reshop box. ahhh
We had a guest leave a cartful of HBA items right in front of pharmacy because the other tech told her she would have to go up front. She even left her coupons in the cart! Shortly thereafter, another left the counter covered in crap because I told her I could only ring out a few of her items. She just walked up when I was helping someone at drop-off and started unloading her crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back