Archived Angry "Extreme" couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ETLs including AP say there is nothing they can do. At our store guests can do just about anything they want. I don't know what it would take for them to actually ask someone to leave.
As far as it talking this guest a long time to get her way, that's, IMO a big part of why she's doing it. I think it's partially a power trip. She has one or two team members tied up for however long she wants. She's in control and remember she always gets what she wants in the end. Honestly I hate her.

So it sure sounds like we need to set up our own extremely obnoxious couponer call line just for people like that.
Manned by TMs and former TMs who are trained to sound like the guest help line we will turn down any and all coupons.
We will provide fake numbers so when she calls corporate they will think she's lying and give AP authorization to kick her out of the store.

So it sure sounds like we need to set up our own extremely obnoxious couponer call line just for people like that.
Manned by TMs and former TMs who are trained to sound like the guest help line we will turn down any and all coupons.
We will provide fake numbers so when she calls corporate they will think she's lying and give AP authorization to kick her out of the store.

Once Spot sees this thread, they'll realize what's going on and start overriding us.

The other night, my nightly extreme couponers came in right at close, as usual. They didn't have it correct and were insistent. Then they called the person who was making them do the couponing and said "she's looking at the ad, you're wrong, it's the right product." Ummm, no. It's not coded correctly, therefore not the right product. If they hadn't had gotten shitty, I would have just done it. Then, they asked if they could go back in the store to get the right items...NO. We are closed, and have been for 20 minutes. I'm sorry, come back tomorrow. Then my LOD stepped in and got them what they wanted. I was VERY close to telling them where they shove at their coupons...and it's not in my coupon box.

Upset couponer left negative feedback on our Guest Survey, all GSTLs/GSAs were then promptly ordered to never tell a guest no and accept all coupons no matter what, and cashiers are to not read the details any longer because it holds up the lanes. Per my ETL-GE anyway.

Ah, lucky. Hopefully my store leadership will take the same approach eventually.

My store has really come around to cracking down on people who try to scam us. We got taken in one time too many trying to vibe it out.

All cashiers have to be very careful with what coupons they take, make sure the items are correct, its not expired, there us no limit on it, only four of the same coupon a day, etc. We don't care if it takes a long time and they are allowed to tell the guest no and we will nine times out of ten back them up when they do.

They know that they can get written up if they don't. Everyone is so much happier when there are clear rules to follow. I will tell a guest no with no hesitation now and they usually accept it and leave. Its great.

My store is authorized to turn away guests that have multiple HBA returns. So those people that thought they were being slick when they bought a crap ton of razors and toothbrushes get really pissed when we get to pretty much tell them to go screw themselves when they try and return it all. It's awesome.

Does your store call the other Targets in the area to let them know of this?

I wish my store would do that.

We had huge issues with HBA returns about a year ago and once we started saying no or putting it on a giftcard every single time it's stopped. Luckily every store in my area got on board together and now these traveling groups don't come to our area anymore.
The thing we are dealing with now is people buying items with large giftcards attached to them and returning the same day unopened because it doesn't deduct the amount of the giftcard they have received. That will be short lived though because we've caught on to that now as well.

It should deduct the amount of the gift card if the guest service person does the transaction correctly. When it asks for the price, they need to type in the return value underneath the item...not the item's price on the same line.

Spot's not doing anyone a favor by allowing such wildly different approaches to coupons. Why is it so hard to establish rules and then enforce them? One store will write up a cashier for not reading the fine print on every coupon and another store tells cashiers not to read any coupons. How is this a sensible business practice?

It's as if each store itself has their own interpretation on the coupon policy. Apparently a trick some of the couponers are doing in my area is they're asking for gift receipts for their items.

Years & Years, ago when I had my little stint at Guest Service, I was dealing with a very rude guest, who was mad we wouldn't accept her item, past the return window (two weeks). So, I told her nicely, let me see if I can call corporate and get a approval for a overide (with a smile on my face) ;)

Than.. I *fake called* the help desk, and let her talk to our GSA (in her office) at the time.

GSA- Do you mind if I put you on a brief hold, while I research this?
Guest - Not at all.

The GSA, put her on hold, then went out to the lanes, to help with backup. After about 40 minutes, the lady told me she didn't have time for this, and grabbed her box, then walked out. And the best part was we never saw her again ;)

Tl;dr She was mean to me, and I decided it'd be funny to waste her time. It worked.

Years & Years, ago when I had my little stint at Guest Service, I was dealing with a very rude guest, who was mad we wouldn't accept her item, past the return window (two weeks). So, I told her nicely, let me see if I can call corporate and get a approval for a overide (with a smile on my face) ;)

Than.. I *fake called* the help desk, and let her talk to our GSA (in her office) at the time.

GSA- Do you mind if I put you on a brief hold, while I research this?
Guest - Not at all.

The GSA, put her on hold, then went out to the lanes, to help with backup. After about 40 minutes, the lady told me she didn't have time for this, and grabbed her box, then walked out. And the best part was we never saw her again ;)

Tl;dr She was mean to me, and I decided it'd be funny to waste her time. It worked.

Now that's what I'm talken about.

At our store, they seem to believe the "magic passphrase" is "Well, they did it at *insert store name*!" Made the mistake of getting behind one tonight as I was leaving. We have 4 stores within a 30min vicinity & I think she tried using 3/4 with her stupid FAKE coupons. Word of advice to fraudulent couponers....if you're going to fake a coupon, don't make it a STORE coupon!!! She was trying to use 2- $10/$10 purchase coupons that were obviously fake. They had no restrictions, no "category" (i.e. school supplies, clothing, electronics, etc.), nothing, just $10/$10 purchase. And gee, her items totaled to BARELY $10 for each separate transaction.

At our store, they seem to believe the "magic passphrase" is "Well, they did it at *insert store name*!" Made the mistake of getting behind one tonight as I was leaving. We have 4 stores within a 30min vicinity & I think she tried using 3/4 with her stupid FAKE coupons. Word of advice to fraudulent couponers....if you're going to fake a coupon, don't make it a STORE coupon!!! She was trying to use 2- $10/$10 purchase coupons that were obviously fake. They had no restrictions, no "category" (i.e. school supplies, clothing, electronics, etc.), nothing, just $10/$10 purchase. And gee, her items totaled to BARELY $10 for each separate transaction.

That wouldn't fly at our store. The whole "oh, they let me do it at the other Target" means nothing to us. We're pretty liberal with our couponers, but we do draw the line somewhere, and our STL backs us up, too.

That wouldn't fly at our store. The whole "oh, they let me do it at the other Target" means nothing to us. We're pretty liberal with our couponers, but we do draw the line somewhere, and our STL backs us up, too.
When I heard that as a GSA, I'd look them in the eye & say "It's not my job to perpetuate the mistakes of others."

Oh, a few comments: first, we had people use the gift receipts with us. They stopped when we stopped taking them. We told them for transactions like that we needed the actual receipt. Then if they bring in an actual receipt, we make them to back to the store they purchased it from.

Second: I had a guest come through who thought he would be smart and cut off the rest of the receipt and just give us the top (said he gave the rest away for a gift receipt. Right. Well, he had gone through one of our crappy registers that doesn't print properly, so we couldn't do it without punching in the bottom numbers on the receipt. So he went and got the bottom part of the receipt. The middle was still cut out. And the return was being goofy, to boot. So I took the bottom of the receipt and said I would be right back and had to research the transaction. Well, I looked up the transaction on the EJ, and sure enough he had coupons galore he didn't want us to see. He got nervous while I was gone, and I was gone a bit because the printer was taking forever. He didn't want to wait, so he left with his toys (and without the receipt that I still had). So I kept the receipt until ap came in and I could show him. Then I put the receipt in the secure paper trash in the TSC so we had no way of getting it back if he got nervy enough to do that.

Third: Monday night I was cashiering. A guest with a bunch of HBA items (return fraud in the making) came through one of our veteran cashiers lanes. She started combing through the coupons, and pointing out which ones didn't match. He got annoyed, told her to suspend the transaction, and he would be back. So he took all of his bagged items back to HBA with him. Ap followed him around to be sure he didn't do anything goofy. The guy came back up to a different cashier (softlines on back up). She saw the order, and called over the GSA to do it, because she didn't feel comfortable doing it. I finished up with my transaction, saw what the GSA was in the middle of, and knew he still had lanes to close down, so I asked if I could take over for him to help him out. He gladly accepted. So I took over, smiled and said hi to the guest, and took a second to look over what had been done so far. The guest at that point, threw his hands up in the air, said he wasn't dealing with this, and asked for the manager's name and our address. Ap was blown away when he found out I got the guy to leave simply by saying, "hi." But then we realized that I've dealt with that guy before...and he never wins with me, so he just gave up instead of waste his time.

When guests say other cashiers take them I ask if they know which ones or if they can point them out because I will have to retrain them. They usually shut up when I say that. I am always nice about it.
And yes, extreme bogus couponers always look for newbies, that's why when I am training new cashiers and new back ups I always tell them to put their light on to have a gstl come over when to many coupons are being used or if they are for large amounts or for free items.. A second pair of eyes is always a good thing.

I had a woman today get all pissy at me because I wouldn't accept her Enfamil rebate checks that had expired in April.

"Well, I'll just take it to any other target- they'll do it!"

The sad part is that's probably true.

Had one today who tried to use the $15 off $75 home coupon FIVE times (in addition to her other coupon policy violations). She could not wrap her head around the fact that it could only be used once per guest despite it being said right there on the coupon.

First guest yesterday was a family of six. The FILLED a cart of Mac N cheese, I'd say 60 boxes. Then all tried checking out separately, with the 1 cashier we had, and then tried using 4, 2 dollar off coupons off one box. As bad as that is, it was a Cardinas coupon. I have a feeling they'll be in this morning as well. Anyone else have these coupons yet?

It should deduct the amount of the gift card if the guest service person does the transaction correctly. When it asks for the price, they need to type in the return value underneath the item...not the item's price on the same line.
if you take it back to the same store with your receipt so you don't have to enter the price in it doesn't deduct the amount of the giftcard if you do it the same day. I have no idea why it works like that but I've seen it several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back