Archived Angry "Extreme" couponers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conversation with an older Hispanic woman today:

Her: can you price match (referring to 18 160oz bleach bottles)
Me: Sure..... let me see (checks her phone to see a screenshot from Walmart for the bleach for 99 cents)
Me: I'm sorry I can't price match screenshots.
Her: but it's from Walmart?

I then press the back button on her phone to notice this isn't even her screenshot, it's from this Spanish couponer Facebook post lmao.

I pull up and show her the live Walmart listing and it's the same price as our store, she still doesn't understand. She gets unreasonably angry and just storms out leaving me with 18 bottles of bleach on my check lane and a line of guests.

I just picked up this shift for some extra hours, I'm sorry ya'll gotta deal with this everyday

Conversation with an older Hispanic woman today:

Her: can you price match (referring to 18 160oz bleach bottles)
Me: Sure..... let me see (checks her phone to see a screenshot from Walmart for the bleach for 99 cents)
Me: I'm sorry I can't price match screenshots.
Her: but it's from Walmart?

I then press the back button on her phone to notice this isn't even her screenshot, it's from this Spanish couponer Facebook post lmao.

I pull up and show her the live Walmart listing and it's the same price as our store, she still doesn't understand. She gets unreasonably angry and just storms out leaving me with 18 bottles of bleach on my check lane and a line of guests.

I just picked up this shift for some extra hours, I'm sorry ya'll gotta deal with this everyday
Had this one a few weeks ago. The GSA was on break, so I was playing store in her place. A guest comes to one of the lanes with twelve bottles of Tide that she wants price matched to Walmart for $3.00 a pop. The cashier flashes the light, as it didn't seem right to her. I come over and take a look. The good news, it's not a screen shot. The bad news, it is for one specific store that is not even in our state. When I check it on the price match app on the zebra, the Walmart price is two cents cheaper than our price. I tell her that I can price match to the chainwide price I found, but only one bottle. She left them all. I called AP as soon as the guests left the building. That is considered a recovery, and I am sure they would want to review the tapes in case they attempted to return later.

. I called AP as soon as the guests left the building. That is considered a recovery, and I am sure they would want to review the tapes in case they attempted to return later

Really, wow. I had no idea to let AP know. Under what price match circumstances should we let AP know?

Had this one a few weeks ago. The GSA was on break, so I was playing store in her place. A guest comes to one of the lanes with twelve bottles of Tide that she wants price matched to Walmart for $3.00 a pop. The cashier flashes the light, as it didn't seem right to her. I come over and take a look. The good news, it's not a screen shot. The bad news, it is for one specific store that is not even in our state. When I check it on the price match app on the zebra, the Walmart price is two cents cheaper than our price. I tell her that I can price match to the chainwide price I found, but only one bottle. She left them all. I called AP as soon as the guests left the building. That is considered a recovery, and I am sure they would want to review the tapes in case they attempted to return later.
Yeah our AP was notified but it just came up in conversation. It wasn't something they noted as a recovery however. Also I personally don't have a problem with price matching more than one of each item, but it has to be 1: not a ridiculous amount off and 2: be a valid listing (obviously)

I have been known to do more than one if it is a reasonably quantity and legit, but for a scammer, no quarter asked and none given.
Really, wow. I had no idea to let AP know. Under what price match circumstances should we let AP know?
I usually involve AP for things like obviously fraudulent price matches, attempted ticket switches, counterfeit currency, and anything that seems so far out of the ordinary as to merit further review

Y’all know I let ap know everything but even I don’t do it for price match. Attempted coupon fraud and ticket switch you bet I’m letting them know.

I’ll price match more than one if it’s reasonable as others said. Like if they’re buying 2 of the same toy and it’s $5 cheaper I’m not gonna get into it with them.
Our couponers know how to use self checkout, so that's nice. We still have the problem of high value coupons s used, then they return item.
We adjust down the value of the return to be what they paid And deny allergy medicine with no receipt or even on their card if it’s a lot of them (we can offer to pull the receipt from the back, never had to tho). My store has a huge problem with this, that’s why we’re so strict.

Last edited:
Y’all know I let ap know everything but even I don’t do it for price match. Attempted coupon fraud and ticket switch you bet I’m letting them know.

I’ll price match more than one if it’s reasonable as others said. Like if they’re buying 2 of the same toy and it’s $5 cheaper I’m not gonna get into it with them.

We adjust down the value of the return to be what they paid And deny allergy medicine with no receipt or even on their card if it’s a lot of them (we can offer to pull the receipt from the back, never had to tho). My store has a huge problem with this, that’s why we’re so strict.
They use gift receipts.

Is there normally a limit as to the number of items that can be discounted per transaction? Not just identical items, but total.

I had someone challenge a price, I wasn't sure if it was in my ability to do, so the GSTL came over and said to just do it. He stayed there as she challenged the price of four other things, either the clearance sign over the item showed a higher percentage off or the item was in the wrong spot, and every one he said to change it to what she said.

Is there normally a limit as to the number of items that can be discounted per transaction? Not just identical items, but total.

I had someone challenge a price, I wasn't sure if it was in my ability to do, so the GSTL came over and said to just do it. He stayed there as she challenged the price of four other things, either the clearance sign over the item showed a higher percentage off or the item was in the wrong spot, and every one he said to change it to what she said.
Technically no. Use best judgement.

You do have the authority to adjust a price that has been challenged by the guest, as long as the price given seems reasonable for the item, and does not exceed the $20 empowerment rule (however your team defines it. Every time we get a new STL or ETL for the front end, their interpretation of the empowerment rule changes). It is guests like the one you described here, however, that made me comment in "To That One Guest II" This is not Let's Make a Deal, and I am not Monty Hall. There's not a lot you can do about it unless they give a price that is absurd, and you have a GSTL who will back you up in your judgement to decline it

don’t do this if its MFR coupons. target gets reimbursed for all MFR coupons, so adjusting the price down means target profits twice from each coupon and is against best practice and the agreement we have with manufacturers to accept coupons.

This is the worst advice you've given on this site.

don’t do this if its MFR coupons. target gets reimbursed for all MFR coupons, so adjusting the price down means target profits twice from each coupon and is against best practice and the agreement we have with manufacturers to accept coupons.
Problem is target isn't really profiting twice because often we have to throw away (food) or ESIM (medicine) the actual item and by giving them back the value of the coupon they are encouraged to do it over and over to pocket the full value of the (often) high value coupons. I give them back the full value but Target loses by not having a system flag guests who make $20+ coupon value returns per month.

Last edited:
We do this for all MFR coupons. I don’t do it because I want to, I do it because I’m told to by AP and all my leadership. Not gonna argue with with them.

Also NPC I don’t see where I actually advised anyone to do anything, if that’s how anyone interpreted I apologize, you should always follow best practice* unless told otherwise by leadership.

*per our coupon policy, best practice is to refund the value of MFR coupons on a target GC.

Last edited:
We do this for MFR coupons per our AP team. Not gonna argue with with them. I don’t do it because I want to, I do it because I’m told to by AP and all my leadership.

Also I don’t see where I actually advised anyone to do anything.

Check your sources. That's incorrect information. You cannot adjust value like that.

Check your sources. That's incorrect information. You cannot adjust value like that.
Again, it’s what my AP says to do. I’m not gonna argue with them. We’re giving the guest back what they paid. Coupons have no cash value. We have a huge problem with fraud/abuse at my store.

It’s not best practice but it’s what I was told to do and what my store has always done (at least for the past 6 years according to the longest serving GSTM). I’m not going to get into it further and I don’t see why you all care so much that one random store isn’t 100% following best practice in one tiny aspect of the store.

Last edited:
Exactly.

Reactions: NPC
Again, it’s what my AP says to do. I’m not gonna argue with them. We’re giving the guest back what they paid. Coupons have no cash value. We have a huge problem with fraud/abuse at my store.

It’s not best practice but it’s what I was told to do and what my store has always done (at least for the past 6 years according to the longest serving GSTM). I’m not going to get into it further and I don’t see why you all care so much that one random store isn’t 100% following best practice in one tiny aspect of the store.

Your AP is misinformed. Don't pull the "authority" card as if you're just doing as your told to justify not looking into the issue further, because you just want to do what you want to do. Target is compensated for manufacture coupons. You cannot adjust for that. It's not up for debate.

For the record that's what is done at my store if we suspect the guest is a coupon scammer. If it's just one item, they can have full value. Multiple items with valuable coupons or that have to be tossed, then AP says to not give full value to deter future fraud. Our GSTMs are obviously not empowered to overrule AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back