Archived Another major change coming to Logistics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would we load trailers? We'd never be able to double stack pallets without them falling over.

Not sure if our trailers are built for it, but there is wooden decking that can be set to create layers in the trucks and disassembled as sections are unloaded. Fairly sure it's just metal clips inserted to the strap holders that carry wooden beams then a thick layer of plywood with a bit of structural support underneath.

However, it will need more forklift/crown use to get the pallets off then taking apart the decking which takes a fair amount of time. If I remember right, pallets that are reasonably high can be triple stacked with two layers of decking. There will tend to be more dead space on the truck though, even with double/triple layering.

Last edited:
That's exactly how they do it at my grocery store, except they take more trucks with more pallets. It's impossible to overstate just how well this system works.

Well the 10 pallets are dry grocery, paper, chemical, HBA and other random. Then there is the 6 for produce, 4 for bakery, 5 for meat and 8 for dairy.

Not sure if our trailers are built for it, but there is wooden decking that can be set to create layers in the trucks and disassembled as sections are unloaded. Fairly sure it's just metal clips inserted to the strap holders that carry wooden beams then a thick layer of plywood with a bit of structural support underneath.

However, it will need more forklift/crown use to get the pallets off then taking apart the decking which takes a fair amount of time. If I remember right, pallets that are reasonably high can be triple stacked with two layers of decking. There will tend to be more dead space on the truck though, even with double/triple layering.

The thing is we're already expected to do 7-8 stores at a time per person. It's much cheaper to pay team members $12 an hour at the store rather than hire another 10 team members at $20 an hour to make up for the extra work we'd have to do. Even putting a pallet of PIPO in is a huge pain in the ass. I can't fathom doing it for every pallet. We can't take equipment into the trailer without backing up the entire extendoveyer out of the trailer.

As for getting plywood panels back from the store...we can't even get back half of the load bars we send out.

Last edited:
We frequently have to unload two stores' pallets before our own on non-frozen days. Two weeks ago, there were six pallets sitting outside our receiving door(we didn't have the room) and another 3 stashed by the balers until we were done unloading.

Why do they do this? Why not go to those stores first or load the truck the other way?? I'm perplexed that a multi-million dollar company is so inefficient.

Wwwweeeelllll now that I think about it maybe I'm not surprised as my first impressions of Target after I was hired earlier this year was how much inefficiency I see. But seriously, back to the truck...whyyyyy????

The company i worked for prior to target handled their shipments much like Target. Boxes down a line and had to be handled several times. They then re- organized the DCs and sorted by departments. What a time saver!! I was a non believer until I saw the new receiving processes in action! Would be nice to have it palletized by department. And transitions on pallets as well.

I've heard the usual mutterings that most stores can expect to see the changes come late Spring, early Summer. Among the most popular pieces of rumor are
  1. Entire trailers will be palletized
  2. Trailers every day of the week with certain days being dedicated to one department
  3. Reduction of flow and back room team members
  4. Stores will 'share' a trailer, as each trailer will only have a partial load for each store they're going to
  5. Everyone in logistics gets a free puppy

Transition will come palletized. Providing they are pre tied, as that's how it's supposed to be sorted.

Keep in mind, and new streamlined process also means payroll deduction. Probably 20% of log hours is for unload. If it's all palletized, plan on a lot less hours.

Just love how every single "change" comes down to they'd like to eliminate as much of logistics as possible. It's a valuable goddamn component of the retail process, just because some jackass in Minnesota who graduated 2 months ago thinks they have all the answers doesn't change that fact.

I've heard the usual mutterings that most stores can expect to see the changes come late Spring, early Summer. Among the most popular pieces of rumor are

3. Reduction of flow and back room team members
4. Everyone in logistics gets a free puppy
hmmm... i like the fact that they get a free puppy and more time to spend with it !!

According to RED Wire, anything you received via the candy delivery (McLane if you're in my market) will now be sent via RDC/FDC and a little bit via C&S (not sure if they are a nation-wide vendor either). Anything that would have previously fit in a tote will now come in combo repacks. Timing is for last week of May, at least for R400.

According to RED Wire, anything you received via the candy delivery (McLane if you're in my market) will now be sent via RDC/FDC and a little bit via C&S (not sure if they are a nation-wide vendor either). Anything that would have previously fit in a tote will now come in combo repacks. Timing is for last week of May, at least for R400.
So I guess we're going to be donating a lot of damaged candy and chocolate bars...

Is the C&S going to be mixed with regular food truck deliveries, or separate? Because my store is served by an FDC, so we don't have any C&S deliveries in this area.

ETL Log here, they've been talking about trailer paletization for the past couple years. Sounds like a wet dream, just won't happen (or soon).

Last I heard this was only going to be for pre-tied/trapped transition stuff, not for regular flow.

So I guess we're going to be donating a lot of damaged candy and chocolate bars...

Is the C&S going to be mixed with regular food truck deliveries, or separate? Because my store is served by an FDC, so we don't have any C&S deliveries in this area.
I assume if you have FDC, everything that needs to be transferred from McLane will go there instead of adding a C&S stop. Target is trying to get rid of the middle man as much as possible. I believe Nabisco will be on GM trucks soon, as well, in order to get rid of that vendor.

Last I heard this was only going to be for pre-tied/trapped transition stuff, not for regular flow.
This would be amazing!!! And it would be awesome if it came in the week of the set or the week before instead of 2 weeks or more out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back