Archived Another major change coming to Logistics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I work at a store that is currently piloting 'Move' as well as 'PackAndShip'.

Move replaces the Autos that would drop into RFApps. (ASANTS) At 1PM, 3PM (and 5PM Weekends) AutoCafs drop into the Move app. As stated above we scan a location on either a Flat, U Boat, Three-tier, etc.

Once you scan into a location, the myDevice shows you all the current pulls waiting to be pulled as well as their respective fill groups, DPCIs, and eaches. You can also pull multiple fill groups at the same time (Which is really nice when pulling Phar, HB1 and HB2) and locate the pull into the same cart. Once you're in a batch, it gives you the backroom location to scan, a high quality picture of the item you're looking for (gone are the pixel pictures on myFA when picking), the DPCI and however many you're pulling. The process is exactly the same as how pulling in RFapps is, except you already know what you're looking for rather than scanning multiple items. You just continue going to the locations it wants, scanning the items, and filling the pull cart.

When you've pulled all items in the batch, it gives you the option to either continue using the cart to pull other batches, or release it to the pull line. If you release it to the line, a sales floor member will scan the location barcode and Move will tell them exactly what is on the flat.
It gives them all the information needed to work the pull. Locations, Descriptions, DPCIs, the total number on the cart to fill on the floor.

I want to make it clear that SFTM's do not need to scan the items out of the cart. All they do is enter the cart to see what is in it, where it goes on the floor and then once they've stocked everything they close the cart which clears it in the system allowing it to be used again to pull more batches in Move

The 'Auto' section in RFApps is always empty now that we have transitioned to Move. If anyone drops ManCAFS, they drop into Move.

And now we need to triple the amount of equipment we have since it needs to be scanned every time the product moves.

in theory, this would work to really fix on hands and SFQs. right now, if it's not backstocked or in the right location, it's just in limbo and assumed to just be "on the floor." if you had to scan it out of backroom and into a cart, the system would always know where the items are. in reality, it would waste a ton of time and everyone would have to do their jobs perfectly. something we all know is impossible.
now that I think about it, the only true way to always know where things are is if whoever is pushing has to scan their backstock back into the cart as well.

Have been waiting patiently for this and at first read it sounds overly complicated but after thinking a while it seems Spot is attempting to gain better control over where exactly the merchandise is: back stocked, on a vehicle waiting to be pushed, on a vehicle waiting to be back stocked, etc. Too, it would add the ability to monitor additional metrics such as elapsed time since pull. Seems a good idea in theory but actual usage over time will tell the whole story.

Do I understand correctly: every vehicle whether three-tier, red tub, u-boat, flat, etc will have a location label to enable this sort of tracking?

The speed of pulls via a PDA, at least in my experience and while the signal is working, is quite good. You slide out a waco and go *pewpewpew* (laser sound) until you hear the correct beepbeep then glance to see how many you need, grab them and move on. On a bulk shelf, it's the same ... *pewpewpewpewpew* *beepbeep*. How has the pull speed using Move on the Zebra compared to that of the PDAs? Do you find yourself looking to the device more frequently and is there audio or haptic feedback? Curious and anxious to try this out and to hear your experience.

If this happens then my store will need A LOT more vehicles. It's rare if I'm pulling and there's more than 2 tubs or 3 tiers available

Have been waiting patiently for this and at first read it sounds overly complicated but after thinking a while it seems Spot is attempting to gain better control over where exactly the merchandise is: back stocked, on a vehicle waiting to be pushed, on a vehicle waiting to be back stocked, etc. Too, it would add the ability to monitor additional metrics such as elapsed time since pull. Seems a good idea in theory but actual usage over time will tell the whole story.

Do I understand correctly: every vehicle whether three-tier, red tub, u-boat, flat, etc will have a location label to enable this sort of tracking?

The speed of pulls via a PDA, at least in my experience and while the signal is working, is quite good. You slide out a waco and go *pewpewpew* (laser sound) until you hear the correct beepbeep then glance to see how many you need, grab them and move on. On a bulk shelf, it's the same ... *pewpewpewpewpew* *beepbeep*. How has the pull speed using Move on the Zebra compared to that of the PDAs? Do you find yourself looking to the device more frequently and is there audio or haptic feedback? Curious and anxious to try this out and to hear your experience.

At our store, every vehicle has had location labels added to them.

Regarding pull speed, I would say it's a tad slower, mainly when you're pulling and it asks for the quantity. It autofills in how much it wants and you've got to just hit enter, however seeing as it's a virtual keyboard sometimes I end up hitting the wrong button, compared to the PDA with its physical keyboard which I know backwards and forwards without looking at it (at least the number portion).

But really the time (at my store at least) is basically the same.

Recently, we were directed to update our Sales Floor pathing, making sure it was efficient. Maybe the system will path the push for you, directing you on what to stock next. So, maybe there won't necessarily be a time limit, but you will just be faster because footsteps will be limited. Smart TMs can already do that, but those are rare.

Recently, we were directed to update our Sales Floor pathing, making sure it was efficient. Maybe the system will path the push for you, directing you on what to stock next. So, maybe there won't necessarily be a time limit, but you will just be faster because footsteps will be limited. Smart TMs can already do that, but those are rare.
I hate watching people put a tub on one end and then walk one item one by one down to the opposite end of where the tub is. I put it close to the majority of what's on it, work that, and then drag it to the other end. How do other people not know how to do this???

Oh great, now the ETLs are going to screw with the pathing that I carefully planned out and set for optimal flex fulfillment picking.

It was nice being the only person in the store who knows how to change it.

Oh great, now the ETLs are going to screw with the pathing that I carefully planned out and set for optimal flex fulfillment picking.

It was nice being the only person in the store who knows how to change it.
how can you change pathing?

shopping carts are for guests.

Tell that to the flow team every single morning.

I hate watching people put a tub on one end and then walk one item one by one down to the opposite end of where the tub is. I put it close to the majority of what's on it, work that, and then drag it to the other end. How do other people not know how to do this???

Sometimes I do that, but I tend to grab a case or multiple items in one shot. Some aisles are to narrow to bring a tub with you. But when I can I drag that tub with me.

how can you change pathing?
It used to be only accessible by an ETL, do SrTLs now have access? An ETL would log on to Workbench under his/her ID and password, then I would go in and do/correct the pathing. If it hasn't changed, it is a little cumbersome to use.

It used to be only accessible by an ETL, do SrTLs now have access? An ETL would log on to Workbench under his/her ID and password, then I would go in and do/correct the pathing. If it hasn't changed, it is a little cumbersome to use.
It's accessible to anyone now.

It's still cumbersome to use and you need to put internet explorer into compatibility mode in order to save any changes.

Welp, sounds like corporate spent a lot of time adding MORE steps to the mix.

We don't need located three tier carts. We need product in our stores, and payroll to get all the shit done we are supposed to be doing.

Let's see how this works in 4th quarter, with trucks daily, and a few doubles tossed in the mix - along with all the new hires. There are times when it's a struggle to find an empty vehicle.

This new pilot still forgets that team members make mistakes/don't care/can be lazy.

Waste of time.

Some people will do the right thing. Others will dump stuff on the nearest endcap, and others will simply send stuff back to the BR to be backstocked.

Welp, sounds like corporate spent a lot of time adding MORE steps to the mix.

We don't need located three tier carts. We need product in our stores, and payroll to get all the shit done we are supposed to be doing.

Let's see how this works in 4th quarter, with trucks daily, and a few doubles tossed in the mix - along with all the new hires. There are times when it's a struggle to find an empty vehicle.

This new pilot still forgets that team members make mistakes/don't care/can be lazy.

Waste of time.

Some people will do the right thing. Others will dump stuff on the nearest endcap, and others will simply send stuff back to the BR to be backstocked.

After reading through the post, you're right. Multiplicity can appear to be a good thing at first since it creates a visual and exact point of contact. However, it ends up being excessively cumbersome and a time killer when it does not solve or prevent an ongoing problem. Most of the issues we have surrounding merchandise left on carts is usually team member based (not enough hours to carryout the task at hand or a lazy team member).

I see a lot of the same issues in the SFS process. In my early life I managed a wholesale warehouse. The process hasn't change much at all over time except for everyone trying to reinvent the wheel. The simpler you make it, the faster and error proof the process becomes.

Do we have the margin/hours to justify the the cost of the additional step? I seriously doubt we do given that it was not included in the original pull process (hours allocated). I can't see a time saving step here.

We've added an additional inventory location to track within the process. If we were talking about merchandise leaving an external warehousing location (like a storage trailer) to re-enter the store, I could see this being a possibility as to monitor inventory. Otherwise it looks as if we've over thought a process within our logistics chain.

Spot should make a serious effort at time studies performed by a third party to get a grip on allocated hours in order to tighten up the process, not adding steps. Adding steps could cause more payroll issues. This has been the biggest hurdle for most of us while working for Spot.

If any of you have been through "Six Sigma" you'll know where I am coming from on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back