Archived Another major change coming to Logistics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it's a whole new fill process starting some time 4th quarter. I didn't press on details because the topic of convo was something completely different.

It needs to happen. I have skipped pulling the CAFs before on multiple occasions since they weren't scored and my Autofills weren't all that much larger.... what the heck are the CAFs even filling if the Autofills stay the same size?

In higher volume stores, the goal times for Autofills is 8-15 hours and CAFs probably total about 3-5 on weekdays (so average of let's say 15 hours of payroll/day pulling from the backroom with just system generated pulls). Could we spend 15 hours each day somewhere else that would fill the floor more efficiently? I would guess Open to Close coverage in instocks (scan an area, fill it, repeat all day) would do a better job.

So DC guy checking in (idk how I didn't see this thread before :p). I believe that HQ's endgame of their supply chain overhaul is to have trailers palletized by block, softlines on loaded on z-racks. As of right now, I thinks it's being piloted out of one DC (Amsterdam NY, I think). They're also trying to turn the DC's essentially into giga-sized backrooms, light duty and all. More sent by the unit instead of by the carton. Daily trucks to replenish the prior days' sales. When (and if) they plan to roll this out across the chain, I do not know, but that's what they're planning.

You like autos/cafs? Enjoy them while they last! They are both disappearing starting 4th quarter.

If they are going away, what are the closing team going to do? Just zone? Bec that's all they do in my store. Wouldn't touch anything else. Not even the autofills. :mad:

Wonder how the soft lines will be shipped on Zbars....

I assume that would take up way more space than Flat Packed into cartons.

Wonder how they are going to keep the product looking nice? - aka not wrumpled and smashed during transit.... or hangers broken...

Wonder how the soft lines will be shipped on Zbars....

I assume that would take up way more space than Flat Packed into cartons.

Wonder how they are going to keep the product looking nice? - aka not wrumpled and smashed during transit.... or hangers broken...

There are videos of these unloads on one of the red news things. They look more like the electronics cages that hold repacks or a fast racking in food (has a back and sides) and the clothes are inside of it.

I do the de trashing for softlines, at the moment. Anything would be an improvement. Because our dc uses a lot of green repacks, for whatever reason, half the time they aren't filled, boxes are crushed and fall off the pallet trying to get it off the line. No one seems to know what the difference is between the green repacks and the standard brown and black. The green ones almost look like leftovers, if that makes sense. I had a repack today that had 1 pair of plastic wrapped panties. Really!

I do the de trashing for softlines, at the moment. Anything would be an improvement. Because our dc uses a lot of green repacks, for whatever reason, half the time they aren't filled, boxes are crushed and fall off the pallet trying to get it off the line. No one seems to know what the difference is between the green repacks and the standard brown and black. The green ones almost look like leftovers, if that makes sense. I had a repack today that had 1 pair of plastic wrapped panties. Really!
Green repacks are packed at a completely different DC, called a UDC (upstream). Some of their repacks are light because they have to close out the stock zones in order to get the merchandise to our regular DCs then to the store.

People talk about wasting space when looking at receiving palletized trucks from the DC...But they could save so much space if they stopped sending these massive repack boxes that are usually less than half full.

I understand the need for UDCs, but it would be so much better for all if they had the option of using smaller repacks (like the red ones and the really small red ones used for DVDs).

Getting rid of autos?? I havnt heard this. This would explain why ETL-log refuses to hire anyone new for backroom right now.

Apparently the new fill process is called 'Move.' It will be an app on both the PDAs and Zebras. I assume this will be replacing 'RF Apps.' The PDAs are being phased out, so finally having an app on the myDevice that can do pulls makes sense, as well as having the handle/trigger for the Zebra. Although the autos/CAFs are disappearing, they are being replaced with something (Move?), still requiring someone to pull them.
Keeping in mind Spot's goal for Logistics of having very minimal replenishment come from the backroom and almost all of it coming off of trucks, this makes sense. Less touches = better efficiency = easier/smarter payroll decisions.

A-volume store, flex format with overnight daily GM trucks of 1000-1400 and two doubles per week (2000-2400). Approx 10 on o/n flow (fewer in reality due to nightly call outs) and a line that looks like hurricane Fukibus hit it when the unload is finished. Ugh. I could see the usefulness of palletized deliveries at this location. The switch over some time back to manual CAFs with a 3-pull really made a positive impact on keeping product pushed and the backroom less full to the brim. JIT logistics at work.

Apparently the new fill process is called 'Move.'
I like this just for the probably hilarious sounding sentences it will cause people to say...

"Hey Bob, Jim here is a new hire. Can you show him how to do the moves?"

"Did anyone drop some moves yet this morning?"

"Can someone help me pull some seasonal moves in receiving?"

I like this just for the probably hilarious sounding sentences it will cause people to say...

"Hey Bob, Jim here is a new hire. Can you show him how to do the moves?"

"Did anyone drop some moves yet this morning?"

"Can someone help me pull some seasonal moves in receiving?"
Heh heh. I'll be dropping some moves tonight (with a bit of house playing on the backroom speaker at full volume)

Apparently the new fill process is called 'Move.' It will be an app on both the PDAs and Zebras. I assume this will be replacing 'RF Apps.' The PDAs are being phased out, so finally having an app on the myDevice that can do pulls makes sense, as well as having the handle/trigger for the Zebra. Although the autos/CAFs are disappearing, they are being replaced with something (Move?), still requiring someone to pull them.
Keeping in mind Spot's goal for Logistics of having very minimal replenishment come from the backroom and almost all of it coming off of trucks, this makes sense. Less touches = better efficiency = easier/smarter payroll decisions.

: pours one out:

PDA's are still faster than a Zebra.

But at least it's possible to swap out batteries in a Zebra v. a MyDevice.

: pours one out:

PDA's are still faster than a Zebra.

But at least it's possible to swap out batteries in a Zebra v. a MyDevice.
100% agreed. Though in the future I'll be able to grab a fancy new Zebra printer & device, announce "I'm off to drop some moves!" Then hit the play button for some oooontzoooontzoooontz music and gig it on to the backroom. Zebra is the future.

You all laugh at moves until one of your LODs wants you to 'bust a move' at huddle and dance.

dance monkey dance.

Apparently it's a whole new fill process starting some time 4th quarter. I didn't press on details because the topic of convo was something completely different.

So I was talking yesterday to someone who works at a target where there testing move. I was kinda drunk but from what I remember from the conversation is tubs and carts will have locations.. You go to the fillgroup your pulling and it will tell you the item your pulling+show a picture. Once you find the item you scan it into the cart... You can no longer locu if the item is not there... You will have to hit item not here.

Same thing I thought and wondered if there also gonna roll out myFA for the zebras
Lol if they did that... there wouldnt be enough equipment unless they sent more Zebras out especially at my store since they have all zebras sorted by departments

Lol if they did that... there wouldnt be enough equipment unless they sent more Zebras out especially at my store since they have all zebras sorted by departments
With E2E there isn't enough equipment anyways. My store has at least 20 PDAs, but every day people are constantly on the walkie begging for one to pull batches because everyone has their own batches to pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back