Archived Any other Leaders struggling with 730am flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

60SecondsRemaining

Former SrTL - Replen
Hello All,

Long time reader, never really have much time to post. A little background. I've been a leader with spot for over 10 years now, currently I'm in role as a SrTL-Replenishment at a lower volume store. I have been in and excelled in nearly every position over the years, but with this move to 730 am, I am struggling to finish trucks completely, and despite my complaints about not being staffed, I'm constantly just told we just need to figure it out.

A little overhead;

- I am now required to do strictly push-alls. Our average truck size is around 1700, but without using the autobackstock system, they feel huge.
- Typically i get around 16-19 TM's for 5 hours on flow, 2 backroom team members and 1 backroom day TM per day (as an experienced logistics TL this is appalling to me). 1 backroom TM is required to be on the unload and sort transition directly off the truck( I was a pog TL for a very long time and know how frustrating it is when it isn't done, so I'm willing to sacrifice my already stressed backroom TM to ensure it is done).
- I was told when this rolled out that our autofill triggers would be changed when we changed our process time, I am now told that I have to wait until mid May, so I have 1 TM to pull autofills.
- All TL's were eliminated, and currently I have Backroom, Backroom Day, Instocks, Flow, Rec/RL, and also in charge of the Pfresh deliveries.
Are there any leaders out there who can offer me some tips on the 730 process? I feel completely stretched to the breaking point, and I feel like there is no way I can give all of the workcenters I own the attention they deserve to be successful. I generally have to run this process alone, as my sole logistics ETL is normally off doing other things, so while they are supportive in general, i have zero leadership support with my teams.

A typical day starts with me coming in at 7 and starting to get things set up, my team comes in at 730, and I am typically able to unload all trucks within 60 minutes, usually averaging about 8-9 minutes per panel since I've changed the way the trailers were unloaded since I've took over. From there we have a quick huddle and pull all of our freight out of the backroom. I am strictly not allowed to bowl anymore, so my entire team must push BOX BY BOX from pallets.

By the time all is said and done, it feels like there just isn't enough time in the day to push 1600-2000 pieces of freight. Our RWT times typically have flow finishing around 130 (after they are scheduled to leave) and backroom around 7pm. Despite having only 2 backroom TM's scheduled, I was previously the logistics TL and inherited flow with AE14, and I have developed an extremely talented and diverse backroom team who is able to manage the huge workload now being thrust upon them, but we do typically leave 4-6 vehicles of backstock to be completed in the evening.

My ETL/STL are telling me that the push timing should be the same even with a push all, but pushing 1700 cases of freight feels like taking a 2300 piece truck to me, and I can't find a way to complete them before my team's shift is over. I am able to drive them to complete almost everything, normally leaving 1-3 vehicles to push, but we are driving payroll into other workcenters, so even when RWT says I will not come clean, usually I can't ask TM's to stay any more.

Am I missing something? Or is what they are asking me to do just unreasonable?

Last edited:
Our store never seems to be done on time. Also this effects my FDC truck getting worked out on time. I would have to agree with what have said about doing your best to get, as much done, as you can. Of corse that being said I am sure there will be someone breathing done your neck to do more.

I blame guests. You're spending almost your entire truck day working while the store is open. Working around guests, being stopped by guests with questions, guest servicing.

@60SecondsRemaining You won't hear your higher ups admit that 730am is a faulty process and you are shorthanded. You will just be told that you need to be resilient and adapt. Sucks eh?

Honestly that is kind of ridiculous, you're not even starting your push until the store is open basically so you have people shopping with pallets all over the store. So much for the clean Target image of the past.

There are only 2 major issues with the store being open. Guests generally aren't an impact except;

1 - I need to put 2 people in Electronics, since we have moved to this process they don't schedule an electronics opening until 10am, sometimes 9am, so my flow TM doubles as a SF tm and is unable to finish pushing in a timely manner.
2 - I can't bowl. I can't stress enough how much this impacts the speed of your process. My ETL says she understands but "we just can't" and my STL is clueless.

I don't think it really matters at this point. Our truck on Monday I was at 14 TM's, and I asked for support in the morning before the unload even started. My ETL just told me they couldn't, and it was a spectacular failure. She didn't speak with me once that day, didn't even ask how the day was going. I've been with Target long enough to know that the only reason you don't help someone in that position is you are trying to performance them out.

Sure enough I was coached for not finishing the truck, over email of all things. When I countered with my RWT times, I was told RWT is inaccurate and that the goal is to push faster than that. I'm sure part of it was that 3 ETLs stayed until some ridiculous time pushing freight (They pushed a total of 170 cases...in 5 hours...congrats..), and they felt the need to send me a snarky email outlining the accomplishment. Oh, and they redirected my backroom team member to do all of their trash, instead of backstocking the coolers and freezers as I had directed so we could maintain a brand pfresh area.

The writing's on the wall - Guess it's time for a job hunt after 10 years of loyalty.

For those of you converting to a 730 process venturing into this thread looking for some ways to improve. Here's a bit of advice - run.

I feel your pain, friend. Logistics can be a cruel and unforgiving mistress sometimes. Unfortunately I cannot help as I am in the same boat you are. Maybe you can get the email addreses of some of your peers in your district who are going through the same process. Maybe there is one who is having success and they can share some pointers. If no one is doing well, then you can bounce ideas off each other and hopefully find some realistic solutions.

I am the same boat I am also the replenishment team leader with a 7:30 process. I really like the new process. We are getting a 2100 trucks on Mondays with over 70hours of push those days can be rough to get done. Like you said the rwt is wrong with push all store with no bowling if you look at the transition guide from 6am to 7:30 it even stays that in there. Backroom after may is going to be easier because the autofills triggers are going from 30% to 90% so one backroom will be able to handle that.

I was in the same situation when the process was move to 3pm. First of all a push all doesnt work at all..they need to understand that all push is not included in the rwt..also vibing w guest is a big set back to follow timelines.i struggle for a while because I was understaff but I manage to change the custom blocks according to sales floor or deparment lay out since I was not able to bowl either then divided the team in half to meet in the middle. Ex :hba was our biggest dept and I made a custom block for each aisle in order to make it easy for tms.I recommend using red tubs and flatbeds instead of pallets. (To avoid extra steps) Separated all the repacks and assigend an owner for elect..1 for domestis houseware and 1 for cosmetics hba. It was successfull because I was lucky to get 2 tms to help me lead the team (now they are tls). Ps cya at all times!!!

Full disclaimer... I'm a peon of a backroom Tm. I've tried to offer this idea to my TL with no luck. I'm copying the email I've sent him in the past.

1) "Intermission"
So the idea is to stop unloading the truck half-way, push everything that was unloaded to the sales floor and stock the shelves then come back and continue the unload process. I imagine that you would need to split your team into two teams. These are the pit-falls and advantages. Atleast the ones that I see.
Pros: Having the team split into two team would allow you a better view on who is not pulling their own weight. Pushing everything after getting through half the truck would mean that the sales floor would be less cluttered. The more time your team is on the floor equals greater guest service( hopefully you can sell this point to get more hours from the sales floor pool of hours). Your team would be scheduled a little shorter shifts, and if you need them to stay its easier to ask someone that was there for 6 hours vs 8 hours.
Cons: You would probably need a bigger pool of people to schedule from. You would have to pretty much abandon the idea that each person is assigned to certain blocks(sporting goods, toys ect...).

Well here is the sad truth. Those above you have no idea how to make this work. So in what is now Targets go to solution they will lay the blame on you and performance you out. That way they can say they are doing something about it. Sure it will not get any better with the next person but, what they are doing is buying time. Time to get into another position, store or new job all together. You sound like you know what your doing so go get a job some place else and sit back and watch a once well run company tear itself apart.

Has anyone figured this out yet? We are still struggling after nearly a year of 7:30 unloads! The new h&b repack system helps, but we still have a hard time making RWT's. My ETL says I'm not pushing the team hard enough. I just can't figure out how to meet goal times,when we have a 1567 truck unloaded by 8:30-huddle done by 8:45....that leaves 1 1/2 hours before half my team is scheduled out , and the rest leave a hour after that. Market, chems, paper, plastics, home and dome and h&b get finished, but that leaves spt gds, pets, toys, seasonal, and usually repacks for zone 3 & 4. The same 4 team members stay to help complete the truck by 3-4 o'clock. The push all times vs the RWT times must be drastically different.
If anyone out there has a schedule that works please post it!

49744623.jpg

I am in a low volume store as well. 730 am process. We are not able to get our trucks pushed either. They tend to carry over to the next day and are finished up on non truck days grant it being usually its only a couple depts. that are not pushed on truck days. The issue is that most of the flow team is scheduled 730- 1130 ...they have the unload...then by the time they get done with that its time for the morning huddle and the 4x4 which takes about an hour ...then then need a break. So, now its around 10 am. SO, by the time they get into the push process its 10 :15 and that's on a good day.On Sundays, there is no 4x4 but the flow team has to belp with the ad which means they don't start unloading the truck till around 830am and most are only scheduled till 11:30 or noon. Yes, some days they will ask the flow team to stay a few hours to help...but for the most part they don't ...they just let them go and they wonder why the truck doesn't get pushed. Same thing goes for the backroom and the backstock. I have gone to the stl and my etl and said hey we need some help back here( back room) you are not scheduling us on truck days if you do we are here for four or five hours...and you don't ask us to stay...same as the flow team....their response. Mytime works. Really ??

@60SecondsRemaining
How many people do you have unloading the truck?
Have you ever tried a slow unload process with about 5-6 people?

You can have 1 unloader, 2 on the front line, 1-2 on the back, and a runner. The truck will take about 3 hours to unload. If you think about it, what is the point of getting your truck unloaded in 60 minutes, if the freight is just going to sit in the backroom or be staged on the sales floor.

Pros:
  • You have more people working freight instead of unloading a truck by shifting your resources
  • The unloaders are now way more productive. (How many times have you walked by your line and have seen people checking their cell phones or talking because there is no boxes to unload or the line stops to pull out pallets and then everyone decides to sit and chill until the line continues?)
  • You will have less staging and clutter on the sales floor or in the backroom (your survey scores will likely improve because of it)
Cons:
  • Unload takes longer
  • You need strong TMs that don't mind working hard, especially the unloader. You can rotate them if you want.
I'm not a 730am process, but I know the slow unload process works. You should reach out to stores that are successful with the 730am process. Ask your STL, who to contact, they are usually in close contact with a lot of stores.

Also don't be the leader that makes excuses, be the one that finds solutions. If not they will try to push you out the door. If you don't change what you are doing you are obviously going to keep getting the same result. Also make sure you are on top of accountability, attendance, performance, etc and it's not a bad idea to CC your entire leadership team with your PDDs and CCAs, so they know you are holding the team accountable.

Hope this helps.

I'm gonna take this slow unload idea to the ETL. This might work! I feel we do waste to much time on the line. There are times our line stops to pull PIPOs, and half the team sets on the line!

Last edited:
@60SecondsRemaining
How many people do you have unloading the truck?
Have you ever tried a slow unload process with about 5-6 people?

You can have 1 unloader, 2 on the front line, 1-2 on the back, and a runner. The truck will take about 3 hours to unload. If you think about it, what is the point of getting your truck unloaded in 60 minutes, if the freight is just going to sit in the backroom or be staged on the sales floor.

Pros:
  • You have more people working freight instead of unloading a truck by shifting your resources
  • The unloaders are now way more productive. (How many times have you walked by your line and have seen people checking their cell phones or talking because there is no boxes to unload or the line stops to pull out pallets and then everyone decides to sit and chill until the line continues?)
  • You will have less staging and clutter on the sales floor or in the backroom (your survey scores will likely improve because of it)
Cons:
  • Unload takes longer
  • You need strong TMs that don't mind working hard, especially the unloader. You can rotate them if you want.
I'm not a 730am process, but I know the slow unload process works. You should reach out to stores that are successful with the 730am process. Ask your STL, who to contact, they are usually in close contact with a lot of stores.

Also don't be the leader that makes excuses, be the one that finds solutions. If not they will try to push you out the door. If you don't change what you are doing you are obviously going to keep getting the same result. Also make sure you are on top of accountability, attendance, performance, etc and it's not a bad idea to CC your entire leadership team with your PDDs and CCAs, so they know you are holding the team accountable.

Hope this helps.

I use 3 throwers now so my line is constantly full. If they aren't pulling boxes then boxes are going to be falling off. I've solved most of the problems with our process through creative use of payroll.

One note on the coaching though. I would rather be termed than pdd/CCA my team members for not accomplishing a workload I deem unreasonable. If a particular individual needs it then yes, and that info goes to hr and my etl. Kicking people while down does nothing but save my own ass, and in the long run doesn't do anything but create a culture of fear of being coached for everything. It doesn't give you the ability to get buy ins from your team and get that extra 10% which is needed.

Also, my stl is a first assignment (hr) targeteer. Its her way or no way, and with no logistics experience that often leads to a disaster (forcing a backroom team to do 6 cages of plano trash instead of back stocking because "I don't like how it looks"). Any solutions offered, of which I have many, written in a book of all places, are regarded as not best practice and immediately shut down. I've resorted to just doing what I need to, and hoping the success speaks enough to change her views. So far, so good.

Flow should have stayed overnight/early morning! This may be a stupid idea because I'm not familiar with the DC process, but wouldn't it be nice if the truck was somewhat organized, perhaps pre palletized by Custom Block. I know one argument is space constraints but a truck can still get packed well if done properly.

It seems that corporate wants to cut resources at the stores without supporting it.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Long time reader, never really have much time to post. A little background. I've been a leader with spot for over 10 years now, currently I'm in role as a SrTL-Replenishment at a lower volume store. I have been in and excelled in nearly every position over the years, but with this move to 730 am, I am struggling to finish trucks completely, and despite my complaints about not being staffed, I'm constantly just told we just need to figure it out.

A little overhead;

- I am now required to do strictly push-alls. Our average truck size is around 1700, but without using the autobackstock system, they feel huge.
- Typically i get around 16-19 TM's for 5 hours on flow, 2 backroom team members and 1 backroom day TM per day (as an experienced logistics TL this is appalling to me). 1 backroom TM is required to be on the unload and sort transition directly off the truck( I was a pog TL for a very long time and know how frustrating it is when it isn't done, so I'm willing to sacrifice my already stressed backroom TM to ensure it is done).
- I was told when this rolled out that our autofill triggers would be changed when we changed our process time, I am now told that I have to wait until mid May, so I have 1 TM to pull autofills.
- All TL's were eliminated, and currently I have Backroom, Backroom Day, Instocks, Flow, Rec/RL, and also in charge of the Pfresh deliveries.
Are there any leaders out there who can offer me some tips on the 730 process? I feel completely stretched to the breaking point, and I feel like there is no way I can give all of the workcenters I own the attention they deserve to be successful. I generally have to run this process alone, as my sole logistics ETL is normally off doing other things, so while they are supportive in general, i have zero leadership support with my teams.

A typical day starts with me coming in at 7 and starting to get things set up, my team comes in at 730, and I am typically able to unload all trucks within 60 minutes, usually averaging about 8-9 minutes per panel since I've changed the way the trailers were unloaded since I've took over. From there we have a quick huddle and pull all of our freight out of the backroom. I am strictly not allowed to bowl anymore, so my entire team must push BOX BY BOX from pallets.

By the time all is said and done, it feels like there just isn't enough time in the day to push 1600-2000 pieces of freight. Our RWT times typically have flow finishing around 130 (after they are scheduled to leave) and backroom around 7pm. Despite having only 2 backroom TM's scheduled, I was previously the logistics TL and inherited flow with AE14, and I have developed an extremely talented and diverse backroom team who is able to manage the huge workload now being thrust upon them, but we do typically leave 4-6 vehicles of backstock to be completed in the evening.

My ETL/STL are telling me that the push timing should be the same even with a push all, but pushing 1700 cases of freight feels like taking a 2300 piece truck to me, and I can't find a way to complete them before my team's shift is over. I am able to drive them to complete almost everything, normally leaving 1-3 vehicles to push, but we are driving payroll into other workcenters, so even when RWT says I will not come clean, usually I can't ask TM's to stay any more.

I feel the exact way; it's infeasible sometimes! I still try to finish but I'm also having issues finishing my workload. However, it's not just you and me a lot of ulv stores are having difficulty. We just have to adapt and overcome my friend.

Hello All,

A little overhead;

I feel the exact way; it's infeasible sometimes! I still try to finish but I'm also having issues finishing my workload. However, it's not just you and me a lot of ulv stores are having difficulty. We just have to adapt and overcome my friend.

I've made a go of it, and I've been generally successful. But solutions are hard to implement when you have an STL with no logistics experience who is unwilling to move from "best practice." If the best practice were always the best practice, there would never be any new ones. We all know that isn't the case, so having your hands tied when you want to implement store-specific solutions is the most frustrating part, especially when you know and can prove your solutions will be successful.

I've taken to just doing what I'm told and doing my best to keep my team happy and successful.

Also, if you somehow got an outstanding as a TL or above, either your store is golden or you have a very nice etl/stl. Review scores are based on AE and there are very, very few stores putting up those types of numbers. Even if you got a full 15 leadership points, you would still need a 75 or above AE score to make Outstanding. If that's the case, kudos to you man, that's impressive. Live on the east coast? I could use another team lead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back