Archived Applying for SBTL.. Long story

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I read through that guide. A bunch of it is outdated, and a small portion of it was actually incorrect at the time.

It increases your sales tremendously and it's not that much work to be honest. I used to hate it but it's easy.

That sounds weird. Why would they give her a choice? Doesn't sound right to me.

I thought odd as well. Everyone seems to act like it's the norm though. Like she just isn't cutting it but get she was alright as a GSA. Which wasn't true either. She didn't push her team to get red cards and had cash shortages I am told. I just don't get it

I thought odd as well. Everyone seems to act like it's the norm though. Like she just isn't cutting it but get she was alright as a GSA. Which wasn't true either. She didn't push her team to get red cards and had cash shortages I am told. I just don't get it

I am also curious if its just so they can get someone in there to do it for less than she makes..

Our store emphasized cross-training so that our TMs could pick up shifts when hours were short & it expanded our coverage.
Every SBTM was FA-trained & the majority of FA was SB-trained.
As Xanatos & Coqui have said, culture is the biggest op to tackle & sometimes you have to do it in degrees.
When we were slow, I'd start stocking & giving the other baristas tasks as I worked alongside them.
I'd say "I've got cups & lids; I need someone to get milk & someone else to wipe down tables. Who's up?" & we'd scurry around. I'd give a round of thanks when we were done & remark on speed or something else.
They also knew if I saw them on their phones that I'd have something for them to do.
The guides def need freshening up since a few pieces I added were a few years ago & so much has changed.

Last edited:
I am also curious if its just so they can get someone in there to do it for less than she makes..
As I've said in other threads, a high percentage of team members are already making within one yearly raise of the minimum pay, and there will be a much higher percentage if the minimum goes up again (by an even higher amount). The only stores who won't have this will be in places that already had a higher minimum. My store was at $8.25 two years ago so the only TMs who will be making more than the minimum (if it goes up again) will be the people who have been here for 10+ years.

Basically, the pay might not be the problem. Also, stores get judged much more on payroll hours than payroll dollars.

Also last year we were seeing a dearth of new SBTLs on here seeking advice.
Seems like there's a large turnover every so often.

Also last year we were seeing a dearth of new SBTLs on here seeking advice.
Seems like there's a large turnover every so often.
It's so weird. In my city, we have 10 SBTLs. 6 months after I got promoted, I was already the second most tenured SBTL. We had tons and tons of turnover! Now, the least tenured SBTL has been in the position since I trained her last January.

Okay, so my STL tipped me off that I will be interviewing and that one of the Questions they will ask for sure with me is how I have dealt with TM conflict before? And how I deal with such? I am trying to think of the best way to answer. Since my last instance of this is with a TM in Food Ave who was not happy about me becoming the FSA. She refuses to stock in the morning when she knows I am closing, she threw a fit when she was no longer in charge of ordering. She accused me of jumping on her about not breaking down boxes. Which never happened, I actually broke them down my self and said nothing to her. It is to the point I have to get a LOD every time I come in after her or work with her. She is very touchy and doesn't handle authority well. This being the most current issue I have to tell them about, which they know.. How do I handle it? I smile and stay calm and do the work myself. I try to give positive reforcement. She says it makes her uncomfortable. How do I tell this in a interview to answer their question correctly?

I have told her and them that I never ask her to so anything I would not and have done myself

I think telling them I stay positive and calm, offer support and a ear to the TM is a good start.

Which is good but is it effective? This is what they'll want to know.
If she refuses to change & continues to be a drag on you & positive reinforcement 'makes her uncomfortable', it might be time to show her what discomfort REALLY is & consider punitive action.

Doing all the work yourself because she "can't handle authority" is not effective at all. No one is going to want a Team Leader that does the work themselves because some of their TMs don't want to and some sort of authority makes them uncomfortable. You need to explain how you turn the situation around and get her on your side, if not, show how you solved it via retraining, going over core roles and expectations etc.

See that's the thing. Its still on going cause they have me tip toeing around her. Even the TL over us tip toes. I don't get it. That's just the most recent example of a conflict I have had to deal with.

Which is kinda why I want to move departments. I feel maybe if they have her take over my duties there it boost her confidence and she will go back to her ways of doing what needs to be done. She has been there a year and I was only there a month before I promoted. Either she didn't show she wanted to be promoted or she just didn't do what needed to be done to do so. I am unsure

Either she didn't show she wanted to be promoted or she just didn't do what needed to be done to do so. I am unsure

Here's your answer:
She is very touchy and doesn't handle authority well.
If she 'doesn't handle authority well' she's unlikely to ever be considered for a TL position.
You might have to hit her over the head with it before she sees the light but running off to another area so she can go back to her old ways is NOT the way to develop her nor is it the mark of a leader.

Yes this is very true. I don't know how to personally boost her confidence and they seem to really not care to do anything about it. She works well with the trainer. I personally think she just doesn't like me. Its not that I am running per say. I need the hours and the pay. Not having to deal with her attitude and not having to tip toe around her is just a plus

Since I can't really say anything to her. I inform my LOD or STD and TL and they cont to just let it be. I am sure they take notice and will do something when they are ready. But its uncomfortable for me.

Here's your answer:

If she 'doesn't handle authority well' she's unlikely to ever be considered for a TL position.
You might have to hit her over the head with it before she sees the light but running off to another area so she can go back to her old ways is NOT the way to develop her nor is it the mark of a leader.

Very true.

Cause honestly, I am not her Leader at the moment. She will go around me on everything from when to clean the Oven to when to wash out trash cans. She goes to the LOD every time asking if she has to. Again, if I was her leader I would of already coached her on several things. But the TL of our Food Ave ( who again knows nothing of food ave or how it works.) Just tells her I run the show and listen but yet won't back me up with coaching or anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back