Archived Ask any Instocks/Backroom Questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@konk we do not have to push. The Flow team pushes autos on non truck days, they are scheduled to work 2 hours before the scheduled FDC truck. Also, the hours estimate on RWT tends to be fairly inaccurate in my experience. My team is very goal orientated and I ask them each time "How much time do you think we can cut off this?" It's typically close to 30% depending on the amount of product in receiving. How is your location accuracy? Are ELRs being completed every week? Accuracy issues can slow the Autofill process significantly. Also, my morning openers are on rotations. I partner them based on their strengths/weaknesses. It creates a strong team and they hold each other accountable for speed and progress. I haven't had an opening call off since I stepped into role, and I've had quite a few tell me the only thing that stopped them from calling in was because they didn't want to let there friend and peer down. To me, that's what I want in a team.
It's pretty accurate for us. Maybe we're slow.

We actually had a 3rd brtm scheduled this Sunday, but she was moved to ad because the lod said ad takes priority. Then they finished early. How do you deal with that?

Based upon the pilot:
a lot of product is going to become a corporate based replenishment.
Wider variety of product to compete with specialty stores
Daily FDC deliveries( alternating fresh and frozen)
Seasonal and local produce

Coming from someone who worked consumables for 6 months, I was extremely skeptical, but I can tell you that it is honestly working. I have never seen so few outs in PFresh, and most locations are 90% full with fresh product located in back. My understanding for corporate based ordering of roughly ~70% of product is to reduce waste. I can't count the amount of times I had to QMOS cartons of strawberries. With smaller but more frequent and diverse shipments our PFresh has done a complete 180 and I have to admit that our PA seems much happier.

Do we know when this is supposed to take effect?

So, how does one pull from the backroom, especially when pulling for autofills?

Flow TL asked me today if I knew how, and, assuming this is going where I think its going, I'd love to have a bit of surprise knowledge

So, how does one pull from the backroom, especially when pulling for autofills?

Flow TL asked me today if I knew how, and, assuming this is going where I think its going, I'd love to have a bit of surprise knowledge
type pull - 1(autofill) - 1(autofill) - type in 4 digit code of the batch you want to pull - A (if no one else has entered batch) - c (if someone entered the batch) - scan the product location that screen tells you - scan products until the product you need beeps (if nothing beeps you have found a ghost and you hit M then M again) - it will tell you how many it wants - enter how many you pulled. Continue the fun until it says batch complete.

Last edited:
type pull - 1(autofill) - 1(autofill) - type in 4 digit code of the batch you want to pull - A (if no one else has entered batch) - c (if someone entered the batch) - scan the product location that screen tells you - scan products until the product you need beeps (if nothing beeps you have found a ghost and you hit M then M again) - enter how many you pulled. Continue the fun until it says batch complete.
I should say I have no backroom experience, and my RF app knowledge starts and ends at looking up items

I should say I have no backroom experience, and my RF app knowledge starts and ends at looking up items
enter rf apps - after logging in follow the steps above. That is everything you need to do. You literally type the word pull - press 1 then enter then 1 and press enter again - then the screen will show all the batches that needs pulled beds - bath - elec etc..(to make life easier for you the batches are listed in reverse alphabetical order). There will be a 4 digit number associated with each batch - just enter that number and away you go.

I got trained to pull in about 2 minutes - it really is very simple.

enter rf apps - after logging in follow the steps above. That is everything you need to do. You literally type the word pull - press 1 then enter then 1 and press enter again - then the screen will show all the batches that needs pulled beds - bath - elec etc..(to make life easier for you the batches are listed in reverse alphabetical order). There will be a 4 digit number associated with each batch - just enter that number and away you go.

I got trained to pull in about 2 minutes - it really is very simple.
Sweey. Thanks!

With smaller but more frequent and diverse shipments our PFresh has done a complete 180 and I have to admit that our PA seems much happier.
Or maybe they are just drinking more? I rarely let it show that anything is getting to me. Which means when I look pissed things get looked into faster...

What exactly is challenge? When I first started in backroom I always saw three-tiers with challenge clips on the line and now no one speaks of it. I have a feeling it has something to do with the "this item should be pushed to the salesfloor" when stowing

What exactly is challenge? When I first started in backroom I always saw three-tiers with challenge clips on the line and now no one speaks of it. I have a feeling it has something to do with the "this item should be pushed to the salesfloor" when stowing
You are correct. That prompt is challenge. It is saying that the product should fit on the floor. It only comes up from truck push and only on the day it arrives. It also only comes up challenge if it thinks the whole case should go out.

I want to work at your store.

What's your process like for the electronics lockup? I'm pretty much on my own over there, my ETL-Log and the Elec TL give me free rein. I pull and push the autos, push and backstock the truck, pull MIRs. Whenever I have some spare time I'll drop manuals (in Elec and Batt) or zone the wacos and condense. I'd like to do a little more to own it though...I don't know what else I could do.

Sorry everyone, it was a busy day! I'll start reading through the thread and replying!

Lots of people to reply to, so:

Regarding the challenge process changing to SUBT9999, it is technically now best practice. The communication was sent out a few weeks ago to STL's. Whether or not it is followed, depends a lot on your stores leadership team and the partnership you have with them. If you and your ETL/STL can speak as to why you have not fully implemented it when asked during visits, you shouldn't have any issues. As of now, we have no intention of changing. Our current process has led us to success, and it allows us to hold team members accountable. This is how we have discussed it: Our presentation team is one of the best in the district, they are extremely detailed, and logistics-presentation has a very close relationship. One cannot succeed without the other, we pull their batches and STO the product they need in an accurate, easy to find way. They set aisles to plan, and do not ghost tie. Any drastic multi-loc changes are communicated to my team and to Flow (seasonal sets, promo end caps, etc). So any challenge that is coming back, has most likely not been worked to these locations. If these locations are not filled, then it creates a cascading effect where it builds up in your backroom, and when these ties are eventually broken, you are left with excess product and you have most likely negatively impacted your Be-In-Stock score and your % in backroom rankings. Again, just my opinion on it, each logistics process/store will handle it differently.

@coolerqueen PA's definitely have earned whatever drinks they want after the shifts they have, believe me I've been there lol. Yet our PA does seem genuinely happy. When the communication and project specifications rolled out a while back, I partnered with them to build the backroom cooler shelving, we planned push and freshness walks, and we each spoke at huddles talking about the new product and the changes coming to our store :) I definitely agree that being a PA is a frustrating experience without the proper support.

@see spot save you seem to be a very global team member! Our electronics lockup process when I stepped into role was in shambles, backstock sat for days at a time, rubber-banding was never done, and the D-Code was a mountains worth. Now, the electronics pulls are pulled in the morning by the same team members (alternates between 2 different team members) due to the rotations we have in effect. It is pushed by Flow/Electronics depending on when the Electronics team member is in. When the electronics portion of the truck is finished, the team member walkies for myself or the Flow TL and we walk the aisles to check for spiderwrap/locking peghook consistency. Afterwards, backstock is brought back and the same backroom team member that pulled the AUTO's/CAF's will rubberband and STO the product. All manual batches and PTM/Flex is done between myself and the Sr.TL Salesfloor. We walk the floor with the instocks reports and their handwritten notes and choose a PTM project for the day. We will then LOCU sections in the backroom, fill outs and flex decode. I then walk the areas with the Instocks Captain to show them what areas will need extra care during scans.

If you are looking for more to do, I would recommend doing ELR's on every truck day. If it is not already something you do, I can guarantee you that your ETL Log/STL will be forever grateful. While it may not be company wide, ELR's are being pushed as a weekly at minimum requirement for logistics. It will help ensure all Assortments are located and all product is STO'd. Also, know the AD. Go over it on Sunday/Monday and note items you feel will be in high-demand. Walk the lockup, find these items, and fill the homes to capacity. It will help drive sales, it will also help decrease the chance you are left with an excess of product when the sale ends. DO NOT leave product staged for longer then 24 hours, it tends to be forgotten and it will impact the instocks team and if it is not communicated to all team members who work in electronics, it will hurt sales.

You are correct. That prompt is challenge. It is saying that the product should fit on the floor. It only comes up from truck push and only on the day it arrives. It also only comes up challenge if it thinks the whole case should go out.

Ah, okay. Thank you for the response.

Thanks @Dekaf

Hate to say it but I forgo rubber banding to save time. The TM who did it before me made sure that everything was banded (she also got 8 hours). I know it makes it so much easier to scan and it keeps the wacos nice, I'll try to start that again. ELRs are something that I will start doing. I've taken the initiative to flex out some d-code (it was pulled and staged in a PTM cart for a week or two). We have tons of d-coded video games, I'm not really sure what to do about them. I'm also the electronics opener every truck day, so it can get a little hectic.

I get 4.5 hours per truck day, I'm usually done just in time. Today I didn't finish and I'm not in again until Friday, but it'll be 100% current by the time I leave.

How is the "out of stocks" and "be instock" metric calculated? honestly ours seems to just be random, some weeks we are nearly green in out of stocks, then the very next it shoots up to 10%. I've asked both my team lead and my ETL and the previous backroom team lead and I get conflicting answers from all 3. I just want to know how its scored so i can properly lower it, any tips on that part would be appreciated as well.

Also, I read on workbench that PTM is pretty much a salesfloor responsibility now, all instocks does is print out the labels and put them up, does your store follow this new practice? As far as I know my team lead and ETL have no clue about this update to the PTM process. All they see is its still on an instock report so therefor its our responsibility to make sure they still get dropped in the PTM task list.

Based upon the pilot:
a lot of product is going to become a corporate based replenishment.
Wider variety of product to compete with specialty stores
Daily FDC deliveries( alternating fresh and frozen)
Seasonal and local produce

I think 90% of the problems PFRESH has would be solved by daily deliveries. I could do wonders with 2 PA's and 2 solid flow team members to own this process.

@Targetron the answer to your question can vary quite a bit depending on the volume and process (push-all?). I can tell you how my team operates though. Allocate 34 hours to my backroom on a 2200 piece truck day with a pfresh truck and you will see no backstock, ELR's being worked, and a backroom that has been swept. Along with this, my team pulls all instocks batches and partners with the LOD to LOCU bottom departments to drive sales. Again, every store is different. If I read your post correctly, you are not a TL and it sounds like you are in the position many of my team members felt trapped in. Your TL needs to re-evaluate how they are using the backroom hours. If your TL is not a senior, they should be in the backroom doing everything a backroom team member does. On instocks days (assuming they are Backroom-Instocks) then their shift should be split 50-50. I have always lead by the belief that I will never ask someone to do something I will not. Therefore, you can bet I'll be right next to you back-stocking that towering paper pallet.

The Flow TL is responsible for all Challenge vehicles. My team considers filling a challenge tub a game and its been something that has drastically improved morale, and why shouldn't it? Challenge that is burned is an unnecessary step and extra work. It destroys efficiency. To them it is a way of challenging upwards and showing the Flow TL that audits and follow-ups need to be completed. If the challenge is not completely worked out by the time the Flow TL leaves, I take 2 backroom TM's (depending on the amount to be worked) and we race. First one done gets their name on the board, beat me three times I'll buy you a snack/drink on your break.

I would have died if I got 34 backroom hours. On a 2000 piece truck I got 21 hours, 2 for backroom @7 hours, 1 backroom day.

A little background:
Currently a Senior Logistics and Instocks Team Leader. I took over two departments consistently ranked in the bottom 5 of the group in any ranking report possible. My Logistics team is now ranked in the top 3, with a Backroom location accuracy just shy of a perfect 100% and a green flexible fulfillment process (all 3 rankings -fulfillment, pick time, RTS). As of today my Instocks team has reached the 6% OOS goal. This was done without cheating the Instocks system (cough not scanning soft lines ;) ). I am ranked in the top 3 for scan count (research and outs) in my district. My turnaround is extremely unique as my DTL has put it so I can't state exactly how green the scores are other then OOS without giving my store away.

I wanted to start a thread to help any of my peers that are struggling. No question is a dumb question and I am more then willing to help :) it may take me awhile to respond but I'll try my best to answer all the questions.

I've just taken over the role you role you have except I am not a Senior. My BR is always a top 5, but my instock's is brutal. My store had a BR/Ins TL, then it was absorbed by the Flow TL for a year. It has now, thankfully, been split back up again. My question is, how did you get our OOS down without skimming your softlines scanning. All my other OOS's hover between 5-7%, but my softlines scores are 13-16% becuase my scan's in softlines are in the thousands.

@Dekaf We're not supposed to do research until the floor is clear. How do you manage this on truck days? We are basically caught up to the wave 20 minutes after clocking in. I would think they would have to be at least half way through the push process when we start for us to shoot research behind the wave and not catch up. Add to that our research days seem to backwards and we shoot softlines & market on non-truck days and hardlines on truck days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back