Archived ATTN: Flow TLs store modernization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t even try to bowl HBA and have the team knock it out. Even if it gets done before opening, it leaves other huge areas like chem untouched and slows down the rest of the day.

Sorting it onto flats and having a couple of TMs dedicated to it all morning is the way to go.

So what's the reasoning behind this, exactly? Why transition from pallets, which are easy to store and move, to flats, which are more difficult to store and harder to move?

Is it mainly because the unload process continues after the store is open and they do not want pallets on the floor? Even then, I'm not following. Why would a flat be a better choice than a pallet? Both are tripping hazards when empty, but at least pallets fit neatly outside of aisles while flats tend to stick out a bit. That, and pallets can be stacked on one another for easier clean-up, compared to flats which need to be moved once empty.

I guess that's all irrelevant if using flats is going to be the new rule. It's a bit frustrating though, this trend of making things more difficult. I've yet to see the benefits of this new process. :(
We have ordered a ton of uboats. Reason for the switch is that the freight can be sorted more by valley and walked around less since bowling boxes out is no longer allowed.

I need help. Please post here if you're process has switched from using pallets to flats. How quickly did your store make the switch? What have you done differently during your unload to make the process go smoothly? How many people do you have anand are you able to get truck worked without overspending payroll?

Let's start with payroll first. The problem in making payroll is there appears to be no gain in efficiency with the new process, but a loss due to more sorting on the line with less people.

We currently have 6 Flow, Flow TL, and ETL LOG. We've unloaded two (2) trucks so far, average 1950 pcs. at an average time of 1hr 55 minutes ea. (6 AM start). We are not making it to the floor to push until the store opens at 8AM. We are literally loosing one (1) hour of floor time on average before we start pushing.

We are sorting a limited number of repacks. The majority are sorted to their custom block to be pushed with the carton freight.

We have another Flow Team Member come in 6:30 AM to help pull. The rest start at various times starting at 8AM with the latest staying to 5 PM.

Our first truck, we went on break before we began pushing freight. We did better on the second one, we made it to the floor as they turned the lights on.

Slower starts:

Previously, the unload process was more efficient at the beginning due in part to the faster recovery time between line loading and unloading. This is a direct correlation to the size of the off load vehicle and the number of custom blocks (less walking).

Adding more unload points just increased the length of time by an exponential factor created by the number of custom blocks and the distance from the throwers (walking and line time) .

Here is the problem:

Let's say the optimum unload process is two (2) throwers with one (1) line sorters per three (3) unload points (custom blocks) along with two (2) pallet pullers for truck and line. The truck person also steps in for the backside of the line, transition, and line support.

With each additional unload point (custom block), you need to add additional time (payroll) to complete the process. There would also be a point where you would need to add an additional line sorter (payroll) due to the same time constraints created by the number of off load points and distance. We used to have one person per three spots on unload. That ended a couple of years ago and so did our efficiency.

At that time, the only variable to decrease efficiency (besides the truck condition) was the the time it took for freight to move down the line. The further the throwers move into the truck the more time it took to unload. This is why it is necessary to have a pusher for non powered line conveyors.

Now, we are literally overloading the flow process with the additional off load points.

The reason behind needing statistical time studies done over time along withe process reviews by qualified people prior to making such changes.

We have yet to come clean. We're carry pallets of freight over. In the past, the latest to complete the process with a skeleton crew was around 1:30 - 2:00 PM (avg. 1800 pcs.).

The canary in the coal mine:

As previously stated, time was reduced greatly in the process by having an additional person start pushing line freight upon the first sign of line conveyor lag time during unload. This was covered by the person responsible for pulling pallets off the trailer.

This gain in efficiency ended abruptly when the position was overloaded with the addition of the Market Uboat sort being staged on the backside of the line.

We had to take someone off the other side of the line to help with the additional Market sort. The only difference was the additional custom blocks.

Other problems to deal with:

Absentee, attrition, new team members, equipment and work area conditions (over crowding of processes and equipment) are all payroll killers now.

Just more work for everyone:

In our case, we stayed the same on head count due to payroll constraints and other issues. However, the amount of work increased substantially with this new process. It shows too with the appearance of the Flow Team Members involved after unload. I can see a guest complaint in the future.

We literally went from moving large quantities of freight to the floor in a shorter period of time to a substantial reduction of freight to the floor along with arguably doubling the time it takes to process (really don't want to get into that now). This is an exact opposite of what our expectations where previously. How are the stores going to come up with the additional margin to cover this expense?

I have no idea what the expectations are for this process.

You will eventually gain some efficiency upon people knowing the custom block locations, moving around custom blocks, and if possible, making sure you have equipment available and staged for the unload. Other than that, we're stuck in a time sink for the time being.

By the way, we are not getting any new equipment until sometime in August.

What is bowling and bowling boxes???
Basically putting the boxes in the general area they belong before you start pushing. You sort off the truck into pets/chem/HBA and Beauty then bring it to the floor and “bowl” it to their respective aisles then start pushing.

Basically putting the boxes in the general area they belong before you start pushing. You sort off the truck into pets/chem/HBA and Beauty then bring it to the floor and “bowl” it to their respective aisles then start pushing.
Proper bowling isn’t just putting the boxes in the aisles, it’s tossing them underhanded and low to the ground, like you would toss a bowling ball. Aim them for the section of the aisle where they go and save steps by emptying a whole pallet from the top of the aisle

Proper bowling isn’t just putting the boxes in the aisles, it’s tossing them underhanded and low to the ground, like you would toss a bowling ball. Aim them for the section of the aisle where they go and save steps by emptying a whole pallet from the top of the aisle
Just because I didn’t explain it fully doesn’t mean I’m wrong lol. Either way bowling is either gone or gone by away at all store so it’s a lost art

I'm sure it will work under good leadership and hard working TMs.. but I really don't see the point of it all. They're attempting to fix a process that was never broken in the first place, and they're doing a very poor job of it.
This. My current TL is ok - not great but ok. And we do have a few hardworking TMs mixed in with some who just don't much care. But it's the part about fixing what wasn't in need of fixing. We've been using this method for quite a while now and I still don't see how it's an improvement.

Flats are used for domestics, toys/sporting goods, seasonal, mom & baby, paper, kitchen, stationery. Hard lines repacks are stacked on pallets which are kept in the back; TMs transfer some to a u-boat and push from that. U-boats are used for chemicals, beauty, health care, grocery. A few things like water, kitty litter, huge packs of paper towel are brought out on pallets, stocked, taken immediately to the back - they don't sit on the floor. Bags of pet food come out on a pallet and that one sits there until it's taken care of, which can be a while.
If back stock gets taken care of, and that's a big if some days, we have enough vehicles. As much as I dislike the u-boats, it's harder to push from a tub that's packed full.
I miss the days of bowling cases down the aisles. Now I feel like I traipse up and down the same aisles so many times during the same shift it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
We started this week the new unload process. We were told that we would use U-boats, flats, tubs and such to work off of. Our crew that unloads is right now 8 ppl. The schedule I believe was written by my Executive over Logistics. Our trucks are 6am. Monday was the 2 hour unload, Wed we shaved off 30 minutes and ofc today was the 2 hour time frame.
Receiving is full of our custom blocks that got tweaked a few times. It will take time to get used to where things go on the custom blocks.

Toys r us used a similar process with flats & uboats for flow. Now, they are no more.
they also had virtually no online presence. and how many parents loved to take their kids there? No parent wants to spend hours in a toys only store having their kids look at every toy on the shelf. The modern parent wants a one stop shop for everything they need, which is what target is trying to become, in store and online.

Just because I didn’t explain it fully doesn’t mean I’m wrong lol. Either way bowling is either gone or gone by away at all store so it’s a lost art
I didn't say you were wrong, I was just expanding.

I don't know if other stores are the same way, but I hadn't seen anyone at my store actually bowl the proper way in years. They would just walk down the aisle at a sloth's pace, with 1 box at a time.

I haven't heard about this at my store yet but I'm pretty sure we physically couldn't even keep any more flats in our tiny BR... We already have to park most vehicles down the valleys which is super inconvenient and dangerous for SFS TMs. Not to mention some of our doubles end up using all of our flats, tubs AND pallets so they'd have to send us an incredible amount of them.

I haven't heard about this at my store yet but I'm pretty sure we physically couldn't even keep any more flats in our tiny BR... We already have to park most vehicles down the valleys which is super inconvenient and dangerous for SFS TMs. Not to mention some of our doubles end up using all of our flats, tubs AND pallets so they'd have to send us an incredible amount of them.
Do you not park flats under the steel?

Do you not park flats under the steel?
We can fit about 8 under at the back of the line once softlines is done breaking out. The rest of the steel is either used for parking pallet jacks or simply can't fit flats without sticking out and blocking the single hallway that runs through our BR. We used to park vehicles on the line too but now that gets taken over by SL when a truck isn't being unloaded.

My store still somewhat bowls
We bowl the section that the wave is currently in and then after were done we bowl out the next section.
I miss the days were we had actually bowlers and the whole store would be bowled out before the wave got to the aisle.

My store still somewhat bowls
We bowl the section that the wave is currently in and then after were done we bowl out the next section.
I miss the days were we had actually bowlers and the whole store would be bowled out before the wave got to the aisle.
Did you guys switch your unload process at all? Use flats, 1 thrower etc?

The only thing that changed is that we use U boats for market and get a market TM to help us with there stuff but besides that we still use pallets for the unload and trash cages for the push and somewhat bowl.
The soft lines we break out but dont push anymore

I posted this in the Store Modernization a few minutes ago.

How is everyone else unload going so far? It's been terrible for us. Good for extra hours, but that is about it. We're are a ULV (23 M) store with approx. 14 left on the FL Team. We get some help on the unload (couple of hours).

We're using 5 TM plus Flow TL and the Log ETL at 6AM unload. I believe we have another FL TM come in around this time to work on SL repacks. I don't really know because I'm so damn busy unloading the truck to notice when they actually start.

Next Flow TM starts at 6:30 AM and starts pushing hard lines.

Truck avg. about 2 hrs w/limited repack sort (avg. 1950 pcs.). About 90% of all repacks go out on a vehicle to their department.

We all (incl. TL & Log ETL) head off to an area after unload with a vehicle (uboat/pallet/flat/tub) except for one of us. That TM stays behind and pulls as many of the extra pallets and other vehicles off the floor. Once done, they start pushing bulk.

Then we have 5 more starting push at 8AM. 2-3 start in Softlines, while the other head off to one of the other hardline depts.

Finally 2 more at 10AM.

Roughly 72 hrs scheduled. We've been working way more than this and still can't come clean even with other help when available at times. We're not use to this at all. I can't recall very many times we couldn't come clean in my 8 yrs with Spot. Even then, it was very little left due to an extreme event.

This week will be tough with back to back trucks (Fri & Sat). Hopefully we won't be scrambling for flats, tubs, and the few market uboats we have.

We never have a full crew on Sat. either.

Anyone do it differently or have better way? More or less Team Members?

This is just IGNORANT! It'll cross the STUPID threshold once/if we learn that there is a better way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back