Backroom Accuracy Indicator (BAI)

The next "big" thing is here for backroom accuracy.

Without going into a super long post here's a short summary

First of all BRLA is dead and wiped from Targets history next Monday.

• The entire store will have one BAI score that updates once a week on Sunday.
  • The metric will take into account all scans including fulfillment pulls and audits
  • Focus will be on backstocking correctly - items backstocked in existing locations and 3 or fewer dcpis per Waco (where possible)
  • All Items Scanned becomes Cannot find item(s) - and you are supposed to use it after scanning every dcpi! Don't back out and audit. The goal is to find mistakes so they can be fixed and the TMs who are making them can get trained.
  • The score won't be visible to stores for four weeks so they focus on process and training and not trying to game the metric
They found that during inventories on average 20% of all backroom locations had an error despite BRLA consistently being around 97%.

Last edited:
I'm super pumped for this and think it's a long time coming. The latest iteration of backroom system led audit is beast at catching baffles.

"items backstocked in existing locations and 3 or fewer dcpis per Waco (where possible)"

Not possible in our tiny backroom post remodel.

"All Items Scanned becomes Cannot find item(s) - and you are supposed to use it after scanning every dcpi! Don't back out and audit. The goal is to find mistakes so they can be fixed and the TMs who are making them can get trained."

Explain this further please.

How does this affect the priority pull percentages in our understaffed store?

Our store inventory starts in a couple weeks too.

Last edited:
A lot different. Different measurable, updates only once a week, focused on behaviors and tracks who made the error not who found it.
Back in the day that’s how it was the errors would be on the person who created it and not who found it . Just like who was the last person who backstock or pulled from that location

I have doing everything this new and improved method from the beginning mostly because this is not a new and improved way this is the old way with some fancy new name and slightly different reporting actions.

Bacstiockong correctly is an interesting concept as it is a struggle here to get people to locate anything. it is a bonus of they get it not the right aise let alone the right section of the right aisle.

pessimistic? nah mate just realistic. Target's logistics was well passed the slippery slope when we went to store modernization. Give it the ole college try but to get this to work we will be needing the help and support of our store's management. and thus far I have seen nothing but scorn and ridicule from them. That pales in comparison to the out right disregard and refusal to interact with us mere peons from District let alone Region and Group.

I shall carry on as always but what will management do to help?

If your management is anything like mine was, nothing. Except, of course, find a way to cheat the system to keep the metrics green.
My management never shows me the actual metrics just stating when they aren't good.

Show me the data on the days I DO NOT work because I don't believe you.

I am glad I am only working one day during inventory also.

The next "big" thing is here for backroom accuracy.

Without going into a super long post here's a short summary

First of all BRLA is dead and wiped from Targets history next Monday.

• The entire store will have one BAI score that updates once a week on Sunday.
  • The metric will take into account all scans including fulfillment pulls and audits
  • Focus will be on backstocking correctly - items backstocked in existing locations and 3 or fewer dcpis per Waco (where possible)
  • All Items Scanned becomes Cannot find item(s) - and you are supposed to use it after scanning every dcpi! Don't back out and audit. The goal is to find mistakes so they can be fixed and the TMs who are making them can get trained.
  • The score won't be visible to stores for four weeks so they focus on process and training and not trying to game the metric
They found that during inventories on average 20% of all backroom locations had an error despite BRLA consistently being around 97%.
Will it track "LOCU?" (or whatever they are calling it now)

meh.

How are the backrooms handled during inventory? Do they scan the location, and then all the DPCIs in the location? and then count each DPCI?

meh.

How are the backrooms handled during inventory? Do they scan the location, and then all the DPCIs in the location? and then count each DPCI?
Scan location then the items in such location

meh.

Audits, both manual and system led will be tracked. We are seeing instances of team members completing backroom system-led audits where they are not being sufficiently thorough and are creating subsequent baffles.z

The idea is to track all scan activity, since it all impacts backroom accuracy.

Audits, both manual and system led will be tracked. We are seeing instances of team members completing backroom system-led audits where they are not being sufficiently thorough and are creating subsequent baffles.z

The idea is to track all scan activity, since it all impacts backroom accuracy.
I would be most pleased if the powers that be could do the same for the check date function for Food and Bev/Consumables/Market. Whoever is doing ours has been faking it for awhile.

I would be most pleased if the powers that be could do the same for the check date function for Food and Bev/Consumables/Market. Whoever is doing ours has been faking it for awhile.
What would your recommendations be? Only thing I can think of that would almost guarantee you always check it is if it required a picture of the expiration date.

Where do check dates come from? Is it picking a random item or is it based on other stores scanning out an item for being expired?

A lot different. Different measurable, updates only once a week, focused on behaviors and tracks who made the error not who found it.

hrm. only tracks the last scan.

obviously won't catch the culprit that just puts random items in random WACOs without scanning anything.

• You're not supposed to be backing out and auditing currently... stores like that to boost their BRLA percentage, so technically nothing changes on that front. Going in and out of a batch will flag. Our group OD was looking into how many times TMs were doing this. Scan everything in the location. If it's not there, tell the system it's not there.
  • Manual BR audits are ok, but only to clear a location. Shouldn't be used to refill that location. Should be done using the backstock function. Will flag it otherwise. (The inventory process has nothing to do with this)
  • No change will ever be able to figure out the shitty TM tossing merch in location without locating it.

Back