Archived BAckroom /sweeps team members

Status
Not open for further replies.

notfit05

Trainer/ clerical / inbound D.C. /
hey dc team member here, wondering what training the guys in the backroom or whoever loads the sweeps truck get as far as what is acceptable and not acceptable to sweep back. Or any info about the process on your guys side would be helpful. I’ve been tasked with improving the sweeps productivity or lowering hours on it for our building as my depelopment training project for “om grooming”

The info we are given is very limited and varies greatly between stores. Management and mysupport are absolutely clueless and no help. Most weeks the LOD Is one of the main people dumping crap on me and telling me to get rid of it… Like I have a magic fucking recycling center back here.

Any feedback on how the DC Would actually prefer the sweep to be loaded would be helpful and I for one would be glad to follow it.

Step-by-step process of how to load sweeps is on WB. I don't know why store leadership is clueless about directing TMs there.

My store and myself don’t understand why carts should be “broken down” before sweeping. If I send in a whole cart, it’s sent back... but if I knock out 2 rivets and detach the top and bottom it’s OK? If I’m going to put that much effort in to an unsalvagable cart I’ll just cut it up and throw it in the compactor.

It’s pretty goofy considering I’ll throw metal recycling and electronics recycling together and it’s ok. Hopefully you can shed light on it.

I was told by the PMBP to accumulate broken carts behind the building and when he sees enough, he will schedule a 3rd party vendor to come pick them up.

First and foremost all items are to be sorted sperately . Crc , Salvage , metal , cardboard bails , repack boxes as follow black 5 per pallet , Red 7 per pallet, m&m (tiny red ones) 8 per pallet , and the green udc boxes are to be capped with red boxes 7 per pallet . No tiredness on bikes , no industrial plastic / hard plastic. Excluding milk jugs and bottles which are also sorted into Gaylord’s if a display is wood and metal it should be broken down and only metal sent back or into your compactor only exclusion is during remodels and special “events” that’s just the high points I’ll add more when I’m not on a timed break

Anything that does not fall into the categories or is not properly sorted can be returned back to the store on their next inbound trailer

My store and myself don’t understand why carts should be “broken down” before sweeping. If I send in a whole cart, it’s sent back... but if I knock out 2 rivets and detach the top and bottom it’s OK? If I’m going to put that much effort in to an unsalvagable cart I’ll just cut it up and throw it in the compactor.

It’s pretty goofy considering I’ll throw metal recycling and electronics recycling together and it’s ok. Hopefully you can shed light on it.
That’s actually not ok, they go on two different trailers ones they arrive here , the sweeps team member isn’t suppose to have to sort the materials off the pallet

Step-by-step process of how to load sweeps is on WB. I don't know why store leadership is clueless about directing TMs there.
I logged into workbench searched for sweeps and it doesn’t really cover what can and can not be loaded or atleast not very detailed on the topic from what I found

Workbench actually does cover more than I thought after digging deeper and searching under sweeps or recycling only thing it doesn’t address that I saw was the repack boxes

Workbench actually does cover more than I thought after digging deeper and searching under sweeps or recycling only thing it doesn’t address that I saw was the repack boxes
There is a comprehensive explanation of sweeping repacks under logistics -> recycling sweeps. It even has pictures.

It's hard to give a shit about loading an amazing sweep when we get so many poorly loaded trailers.

I tried my best when I was covering receiving earlier this year, but everyone has a different idea of how it should be done. I staggered bales in a zig zag pattern (bale on the left, two pallets of something else on the right, then another bale behind it with two pallets of other stuff on the left). I was told a full pallet of repacks is 6 stacks (for black, red, and green). But the flow TL will throw extra stacks on top just to get rid of them. For the mm and security repacks, we just throw it on top of another pallet.

I designated a sweep day. All of my backroom team members were trained on SWADD, and as they pulled, any large qty they saw was hit with Swadd.

Batch was pulled, palletized, wrapped, and given to rev log. Rev log loaded the sweep, bales first to the nose, then pallets, then merch. 2 bales were put at the end as blockers. All merch pallets were labeled 1 of 3, 2 of 3, etc on all sides.

Any merch that wasn't able to be added, I would call the DC and usually they would let me send it via manual BOL.

All of this is probably different now, but having a dedicated person to pull and load it, coupled with just having the backroom Swadd any high qty case items helped me tremendously.

I don't know about other stores, but mine sends a merch sweep maybe 2-3 times per year. Nobody SWADDs and nobody pulls the stuff that automatically drops in.

Out of all the seeeps we get back id estimate fewer than 3 a day have actual freight on them the rest is recyclables and junk they don’t want in their back room

I try to be reasonable about what I load and how I load it on there but there's not much you can do when your bosses see the trailer as a magical portal to the "make problems go away" dimension. Like several pallets of old displays. Though now I try defect them out and see which are salvage, which are CRC and which ones I can try to throw away when nobody's looking.

If you want to improve the sweeps process on the DC side, somebody needs to be holding the stores accountable about what they send back.

I don't know about other stores, but mine sends a merch sweep maybe 2-3 times per year. Nobody SWADDs and nobody pulls the stuff that automatically drops in.
I didn't do merch sweeps for months, then finally decided to do them, did it for a while then had too much shit going on and haven't since. Nobody at my store has noticed, one way or another the merch sweeps but heaven forbid I load five bales on a sweep but don't get the last one sitting in a weird corner of the steel.

I Don't mean any offence, I actually have a serious question. Someone forgot to remove 1 tire from a bike once (front got done, guess they forgot rear) and it got swept. Instead of taking 1 minute to just cut the tire off, and being salty for 5 minutes the bike got sent back! I'm legitimately curious as to why they felt the need to waist truck space just to send back something like that? It was in the middle of the trailer too!

I Don't mean any offence, I actually have a serious question. Someone forgot to remove 1 tire from a bike once (front got done, guess they forgot rear) and it got swept. Instead of taking 1 minute to just cut the tire off, and being salty for 5 minutes the bike got sent back! I'm legitimately curious as to why they felt the need to waist truck space just to send back something like that? It was in the middle of the trailer too!
Bet no more bikes came back with tires though after that, I can’t vouch for everyone or every dc but if it’s allowed once it becomes a slippery slope, the reason they are making a deal about it all is to save hours we typically staff two people in sweeps at the dc someonetikes just one but either way that’s 12 hours per person of non productive work, we still have to make up for those 12 hrs when it comes to production through receiving in order to break even at the end of the night may not sound like much but add two sweeps persons a clerical and someone doing rework and you just set yourself back 48 hours in the hole before even starting the shift . It’s also viewed as the store back room has to touch the items once to load it so why not load /sort it poroperly handling it only once vs sending back whatever and then sweeps has to sort it out again (double handling) slowing them down thus taking more time per trailer and causing more hours to be accrued in sweeps , not to mention it something isn’t secured properly it turns into a huge mess to clean up the stack etc . Not criticizing anyone I’m loving the feedback

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm probably going to send a metal pallet back with both an intact bike that nobody can tell me what's up with it and a bike still in the box. That intact bike I don't know if it's a return or what, it just showed up in my area one day with a very wonky construction, I put it in the bike builder's area and the next day it was on the metal pallet.

I've given up on trying to get some sort of even half-assed following the whole bike builder looking at bikes that are defective/returned thing. I haven't seen anyone build bikes in weeks if not months. I've learned to pick my losing battles.

Out of all the seeeps we get back id estimate fewer than 3 a day have actual freight on them the rest is recyclables and junk they don’t want in their back room

I have a feeling merch sweeps will soon become a thing of the past. Stores with extra inventory will just be prioritized to send out this merchandise via SFS.

I have a feeling merch sweeps will soon become a thing of the past. Stores with extra inventory will just be prioritized to send out this merchandise via SFS.
What happens if it sells online as poorly as it does in the store...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back