Archived Backstocking case freight

Status
Not open for further replies.
It pretty clearly spelled out in store modernization. Fulfillment falls under GM.

Fulfillment experts fall under GM. See the note at the bottom of the page though. There is no such role as fulfillment expert at my store. Instead we have guest advocates who fulfill OPUs and DUs. They report to the SETLs. GM has nothing to do with it other than providing backup.

It's clear this is the way it's supposed to be from recent corporate communications. When they decided to add payroll to account for an increase in OPUs during back to school three different ways OPU hours are alloted were mentioned, one of which is under service advocate - opu, which is for stores that do not have separate OPU and GS desks. Stores with separate desks have a different payroll slot for it. And, there's a third way for stores on a fixed payroll plan, which I'm guessing is stores that have OPU under GM. Don't really know but those stores were not given extra hours. The same thing happened last week when corporate decided to allocate extra hours for the expected increase in OPUs on Labor Day.

This is an area where coporate has decided that different stores have different needs. MyDay is being built to support this difference as well. There are two ways for non-leads to get alerts about new OPU orders. They can sign in under General Merchandise - Fulfillment to get them. They can also just sign in under Service and Engagement, in which case they'll get the OPU alerts and front end alerts. Of course, S&ETMs have no reason to be alerted about new OPU orders dropping unless some of them are expected to pick those orders.

Fulfillment experts fall under GM. See the note at the bottom of the page though. There is no such role as fulfillment expert at my store. Instead we have guest advocates who fulfill OPUs and DUs. They report to the SETLs. GM has nothing to do with it other than providing backup.

It's clear this is the way it's supposed to be from recent corporate communications. When they decided to add payroll to account for an increase in OPUs during back to school three different ways OPU hours are alloted were mentioned, one of which is under service advocate - opu, which is for stores that do not have separate OPU and GS desks. Stores with separate desks have a different payroll slot for it. And, there's a third way for stores on a fixed payroll plan, which I'm guessing is stores that have OPU under GM. Don't really know but those stores were not given extra hours. The same thing happened last week when corporate decided to allocate extra hours for the expected increase in OPUs on Labor Day.

This is an area where coporate has decided that different stores have different needs. MyDay is being built to support this difference as well. There are two ways for non-leads to get alerts about new OPU orders. They can sign in under General Merchandise - Fulfillment to get them. They can also just sign in under Service and Engagement, in which case they'll get the OPU alerts and front end alerts. Of course, S&ETMs have no reason to be alerted about new OPU orders dropping unless some of them are expected to pick those orders.

when they add payroll to support an increase in orders, they add it to both fulfillment and service and engagement to support both ends of the process for our guest. fulfillment still picks the orders, and the additional payroll for the front end is to support the increased guest traffic. that doesn't have anything to do with service and engagement picking orders. also, service and engagement doesn't get flexible fulfillment alerts in myDay. i got an email from the myDay team explaining which alerts fall into which workcenter so i know for a fact that S&E doesn't get those alerts. (also, i'm always logged into myDay and have never gotten a fulfillment alert)

guest advocates picking orders goes against the entire premise of the guest advocate role, which is providing excellent service for our guests. no tasking.

Your store still earns fulfillment hours so they’re clearly not scheduling them and over scheduling S&E. That’s clearly just a district decision but definitely not best practice. Also regardless of the split desk you still earn OPU hours under S&E for pick up staffing depending on your OPU volume. I came from a store that didn’t have SFS or a separate desk. We were a super busy OPU store and earned both OPU hours and fulfillment hours. We didn’t have SFS so those fulfillment hours were clearly for picking and the OPU hours for guest service. What your store earns VS what they use clearly are different. You are not in the norm here.

Last edited:
when they add payroll to support an increase in orders, they add it to both fulfillment and service and engagement to support both ends of the process for our guest. fulfillment still picks the orders, and the additional payroll for the front end is to support the increased guest traffic. that doesn't have anything to do with service and engagement picking orders. also, service and engagement doesn't get flexible fulfillment alerts in myDay. i got an email from the myDay team explaining which alerts fall into which workcenter so i know for a fact that S&E doesn't get those alerts. (also, i'm always logged into myDay and have never gotten a fulfillment alert)

guest advocates picking orders goes against the entire premise of the guest advocate role, which is providing excellent service for our guests. no tasking.

Then, they are clearly doing things differently for different stores. S&E does get fulfillment alerts at my store. While I understand that you don't like it and don't approve, the decision to handle OPU like my store does wasn't made at the store level. It's a directive from above and we aren't the only store directed to do it.

It works out well for the front end. We'd never be given the payroll to have someone at the desk to just help guests who are picking up orders or to run out drive-ups, except on very special days. We can't get enough cashiers, let alone payroll for that. But, order volume permitting there's always an extra hand how we do it who can help out with any front end tasks except CO and cashier. It makes a big difference at night when our order volume drops off considerably. If OPU was under GM, then the front wouldn't get that help as downtime would be spent on GM tasks. When we first started doing it this way as part of the pilot one of our SETLs was very much opposed. Now that everything has been clearly defined, he loves it.

Then, they are clearly doing things differently for different stores. S&E does get fulfillment alerts at my store. While I understand that you don't like it and don't approve, the decision to handle OPU like my store does wasn't made at the store level. It's a directive from above and we aren't the only store directed to do it.

It works out well for the front end. We'd never be given the payroll to have someone at the desk to just help guests who are picking up orders or to run out drive-ups, except on very special days. We can't get enough cashiers, let alone payroll for that. But, order volume permitting there's always an extra hand how we do it who can help out with any front end tasks except CO and cashier. It makes a big difference at night when our order volume drops off considerably. If OPU was under GM, then the front wouldn't get that help as downtime would be spent on GM tasks. When we first started doing it this way as part of the pilot one of our SETLs was very much opposed. Now that everything has been clearly defined, he loves it.

like @gsa4lyfe said just because your district is doing something doesn't make it a real thing

it isn't best practice no matter how much you keep arguing

like @gsa4lyfe said just because your district is doing something doesn't make it a real thing

I’d really like to see the weekly scheduling dashboard that lists plan VS scheduled for each department because I guarantee they earn those flex hours and are just scheduling them under Guest Service

I’d really like to see the weekly scheduling dashboard that lists plan VS scheduled for each department because I guarantee they earn those flex hours and are just scheduling them under Guest Service

oh totally

It's a higher than district level directive and not all stores in our district do it that way. It started as a part of the modernization pilot in some stores. There was some confusion when modernization was rolled out chainwide this spring if we were still supposed to be doing it, but we eventually were told that we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back