Archived Be kind to your VM..its not our fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a Vml/Vmtl/Vm with Target since its inception 3 years ago. Most of us came from leadership positions with other retailers where we were already making good money. I myself, was making $15 an hour with 40+ hours per week, bonuses, and an awesome discount. I also received week long, fully funded, trainings every year in other cities. My company also paid for my entire Masters Degree.When the Target recruiter contacted me, I was told I would make $5 more per hour and nearly everything I was already receiving. Plus, I was supposed to work Monday through Friday 7am until 330 pm and off every weekend. It was like a dream come true. I was also told that I would probably catch a bit of shade from some co-workers because the company decided to hire externally after they had already received an abundance of external applicants. After 6 interviews (yes 6 which also included tests), I got the job. Oh yea, and those hours they told me I would be getting, a lie. Oh yea and the last 2 classes they were supposed to pay for, a lie. I don't even get a full 40 hours per week. I have even been written up for going over my hours. I have never gone over 40 hours but Yea, for going over scheduled hours.
For the first month I was there, No one actually knew what I should do. I spent much of my time remerchandising clearance. I didn't dress mannequins because the SFTL just refused to give up the reigns. So I moved over to hardlines and made those trend runs and focals my babies. I set them, maintained them, flexed them and remerchandised them for the GODS! And when they went PTM, there would never be anything left in the backroom.
I say this to say that I have been in retail for over 20 years. I have worked for Nordstrom and Macy's. I have been a merchandiser for more than a decade. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Management and a Master's Degree in Marketing. Not only that, I am a great VM. When I went to my 1 day training for this position, many of the other VM's in my market had similar backgrounds. We DESERVE to be highly paid. We have already worked our way up in retail. With other retail outlets it is understood that the VM gets early morning hours, No weekends and higher pay. I have never heard the workers in other retailers I have worked for complain or even care. It's just weird that a company who doesn't listen to its employees most of the time, somehow decided to listen when it comes to making your VM equal to all other TM's. Don't get me wrong, I am not better than anyone else as a human. No one should treat you like that at your job or anywhere else. However, you should recognize that some of us have had years of training and experience to get to this position. I personally have been fighting to get more responsibilities because, like I said, No one here even knew what a VM did before I came. I even had my ETL/HR call me a "glorified sales floor team member". When word came down that our title was changing from VMTL to VM, she had my desk taken from me in the Tl office. Talk about humiliating. I have taken all the jabs and punches and remained humble.
I honestly think the VM position should be more like a PMT position and considered totally separate from the sales floor. It has caused too much confusion amongst the other Tm's. Besides, No one needs to be dressing a mannequin at 8pm on a Saturday evening.

In your 3 years with Target you must have seen by now how what is promised very rarely is what is delivered. That "Expect More Pay Less" line is for the team not the guest. You are part of the team. They rolled the VML position out before they had a concrete plan. Without a plan or firm direction the stores ran with the idea and made it fit their stores. Sadly you are just another casualty of Modernization. Positions are morphing into what is needed now. That includes the VML. Now to address your "be kind to VML", This is retail, and not just retail but Big Box retail. Here experience means quite a bit. What we do is dictated by the folks in Minneapolis with tweaking by stores. Your degree, your background while impressive is valuable just like someone who has years of experience with the company. The testing and interviews you referred to were not offered to many qualified team members. These team members may have passed them if they only didnt already work for the company. Not your fault at all but reality. Getting your "desk" removed is a little harsh. But remember this, there are currently Plano, Pricing,Backroom and Flow team leads who are having their entire positions removed as well. Maybe everyone in the stores should just be a little kinder to everyone else? Team members who are getting the shaft and TLs who are getting the shaft.

My VM doesn't do much and still has a good schedule and rotating weekends off. I think every store is different because my old VM ran Softlines like it was her domain, she gave it all wether she was still a lead or not.

If you were allowed to do what you’re capable of doing, that would be one thing. Our VM just complains on the walkie about softlines having to backup too much, and other teams stealing their zebras, while she zones the stockroom. We already have a team lead for softlines that does the bitching but at least she can sort reshop and push z racks at the same time, and she costs $5/hr less. Also are VMs not taking care of home anymore?

I don’t have anything personal against the people who have that position, but what the fuck, we are paying someone more than a SrTL and getting what out of it? Some extra sass on the walkie and a crispy stockroom? Someone to say ‘you guys did it wrong’ when presentation sets hearth and hand screwy?

Both of the VMs we've had were amazing and were basically the unofficial SLTL as we don't actually have one. And that job is crazy. I was originally interested in it but seriously glad I didn't look into it because I could not have handled all of the crap she deals with.

I have been a Vml/Vmtl/Vm with Target since its inception 3 years ago. Most of us came from leadership positions with other retailers where we were already making good money. I myself, was making $15 an hour with 40+ hours per week, bonuses, and an awesome discount. I also received week long, fully funded, trainings every year in other cities. My company also paid for my entire Masters Degree.When the Target recruiter contacted me, I was told I would make $5 more per hour and nearly everything I was already receiving. Plus, I was supposed to work Monday through Friday 7am until 330 pm and off every weekend. It was like a dream come true. I was also told that I would probably catch a bit of shade from some co-workers because the company decided to hire externally after they had already received an abundance of external applicants. After 6 interviews (yes 6 which also included tests), I got the job. Oh yea, and those hours they told me I would be getting, a lie. Oh yea and the last 2 classes they were supposed to pay for, a lie. I don't even get a full 40 hours per week. I have even been written up for going over my hours. I have never gone over 40 hours but Yea, for going over scheduled hours.
For the first month I was there, No one actually knew what I should do. I spent much of my time remerchandising clearance. I didn't dress mannequins because the SFTL just refused to give up the reigns. So I moved over to hardlines and made those trend runs and focals my babies. I set them, maintained them, flexed them and remerchandised them for the GODS! And when they went PTM, there would never be anything left in the backroom.
I say this to say that I have been in retail for over 20 years. I have worked for Nordstrom and Macy's. I have been a merchandiser for more than a decade. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Management and a Master's Degree in Marketing. Not only that, I am a great VM. When I went to my 1 day training for this position, many of the other VM's in my market had similar backgrounds. We DESERVE to be highly paid. We have already worked our way up in retail. With other retail outlets it is understood that the VM gets early morning hours, No weekends and higher pay. I have never heard the workers in other retailers I have worked for complain or even care. It's just weird that a company who doesn't listen to its employees most of the time, somehow decided to listen when it comes to making your VM equal to all other TM's. Don't get me wrong, I am not better than anyone else as a human. No one should treat you like that at your job or anywhere else. However, you should recognize that some of us have had years of training and experience to get to this position. I personally have been fighting to get more responsibilities because, like I said, No one here even knew what a VM did before I came. I even had my ETL/HR call me a "glorified sales floor team member". When word came down that our title was changing from VMTL to VM, she had my desk taken from me in the Tl office. Talk about humiliating. I have taken all the jabs and punches and remained humble.
I honestly think the VM position should be more like a PMT position and considered totally separate from the sales floor. It has caused too much confusion amongst the other Tm's. Besides, No one needs to be dressing a mannequin at 8pm on a Saturday evening.
Good luck. That's how I feel the PA/FA in market should be. We do more than anyone and take in shit from the higher uppers and yet get paid the same as the rest that loaf around and yet they don't tell them anything.

Expect more, pay less. And work like an ass (donkey). If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Our VM is a huge sales driver. Educates both hardlines and softlines about what she set and why it’s set up that way so that we can better maintain her work and better pitch the product to guests who may have questions. Basically also serves as a second SLTL. She definitely earns her pay and I dare say for all she does at our store, including helping signing, she’s underpaid.

Sounds like hardcore ASANTS if you ask me. Our VM is an effete gay man from California (but I repeat myself) who spends 100% of his time tittering with the softlines girls and, every once and a great while, dressing a mannequin or two. Plano team does way more than him for way less schmoney. Do I have anything against the guy? Not really. Is he worth the extra schmoney? Definitely not, or as he might say, "Ooooh, hell naw, thithter!"

Our VM can piss right the fuck off. Moves shit around in Hearth and Hand constantly so flex fill can't find it. Doesn't even put half of the crap on the shelves because "it doesn't look right" so we have to pull it out of the back for guests who actually want that crap everyday. I dread going anywhere near the section because guests will come at me with cell phone in hand, "I can't find this. It says you have it online!" Yeah, yeah, let me go spend 10 minutes in the back moving shit around so I can get to that for you. Really, it's my pleasure.

I would pay money to see my VM clean up a code brown.

As a Signing TM, I deserve PMT pay, as I have to clean up my VML's code brown's all over my fixture room.

And yes, anyone who says a VM, does more than a PPTL, or Plano/Signing, is either full of shit, or a full of shit VM.

Our VM is a huge sales driver. Educates both hardlines and softlines about what she set and why it’s set up that way so that we can better maintain her work and better pitch the product to guests who may have questions. Basically also serves as a second SLTL. She definitely earns her pay and I dare say for all she does at our store, including helping signing, she’s underpaid.
I really appreciate your comment. In my store, it was as if once my title was removed, my Etl told me to stop sending emails detailing my plans for the week and he started giving me stoftlines areas to cover and even fitting room shifts. I felt so defeated. We recently got a new STL and ETL logistics and I believe they were a direct influence on this change.

For the first month I was there, No one actually knew what I should do. I spent much of my time remerchandising clearance. I didn't dress mannequins because the SFTL just refused to give up the reigns. So I moved over to hardlines and made those trend runs and vocals my babies. I set them, maintained them, flexed them and remerchandised them for the GODS! And when they went PTM, there would never be anything left in the backroom.
Our VM works 8 to 430 no weekends. I also believe the position to be like a pmt. Basically, you are a team leader without a team. You are a pay grade 40 just like we all are. Except for key carriers. I wish you were in my store. Our VM is bad. The stores around us have goods ones. We have a dud.

When word came down that our title was changing from VMTL to VM, she had my desk taken from me in the Tl office. Talk about humiliating.

It's a corporate demotion why is that humiliating lmao

I would pay money to see my VM clean up a code brown.

As a Signing TM, I deserve PMT pay, as I have to clean up my VML's code brown's all over my fixture room.

And yes, anyone who says a VM, does more than a PPTL, or Plano/Signing, is either full of shit, or a full of shit VM.

My VM-Hardlines physically cannot change the CSE for the Home Inno flat, Kitchen Corner, or move her lights because even on the Wave, she's too short.

My VM-Hardlines likes to spend a lot of time doing stupid shit. She spent half an hour readjusting shelf heights in Gift 'n' Go. No new product. Just readjusting the heights of CANDY CORN. It's a continued issue, where she overthinks the shelves and fixtures instead of actually doing anything.

It's a corporate demotion why is that humiliating lmao

My VM-Hardlines physically cannot change the CSE for the Home Inno flat, Kitchen Corner, or move her lights because even on the Wave, she's too short.

My VM-Hardlines likes to spend a lot of time doing stupid shit. She spent half an hour readjusting shelf heights in Gift 'n' Go. No new product. Just readjusting the heights of CANDY CORN. It's a continued issue, where she overthinks the shelves and fixtures instead of actually doing anything.
How is that possible? Im 5'5" and I'm capable of anything not directly over a gondola spine...

I find lots of people who read through the merchandising guides that don't know or "get" merchandising overthink. Because they don't know better and all those absolutes sound scary.

I couldn’t agree more !! I am the VM at my store and also have over a decade of experience. I am in no way being utilized to my full potential, & it is extremely aggravating ! I agree that the position should be treated more like a PMT position, that’s now my position was at my previous employer.
When you let us VMs do our job we can drive sales !! I just wish the SL would understand that .

My VM was a load of shit. She started as soft lines, but through politics got VM and received $18 an hour to chat with the ETLs all day and hang clothing. She received SR TL pay without SR TL work or experience. She never did anything innovative. I know all VMs are not like this, but this is why some of us have attitudes toward the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back