Archived Black Friday 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone's guess on a start-time this year? Wal-Mart's hour earlier openning last year really didn't hurt our sales much we still managed about $980,000

There's a small town around here with slightly blue laws. Their stores are open on Sundays, but not on some holidays, like thanksgiving. They opened at 1201 last year lol. There's a county innn.. Ib wanna say north jersey with blue laws too. Nothing opened on Sundays or holidays.

Anyone's guess on a start-time this year? Wal-Mart's hour earlier openning last year really didn't hurt our sales much we still managed about $980,000

We have a Wally store very close by, and they are open 24/7. Macy's is what screwed us over. They opened at 9 so we had some tm's come in at 8 for prep work. I only worked Friday 4am to noon. All Target needs is a comparable store to open at 8 and we will follow suit.

Black Friday is a dark example of America's retail history. Do any other countries have craziness during the Christmas shopping season like Murica does?

It was 8 last year right? I would not be shocked if they push it even more to 7 or even 6pm. If they do that I am going to be SUPER PISSED because I want to watch the Seahawks/49ers game at night. The funny thing is I have had to usually be there late the night before setting up ad crap, then having to come in at opening working in electronics somewhere even though im a freaking PA, and then come back for a closing market shift all the while my CTL gets a nice comfy opening Market Shift and dont have to deal with all the BS

I know other countries have shopping frenzies like we do--it's just different days. Heck, Canada's started to do a version of Black Friday (after raiding our stores for years). Crazy shopping to the point of trampling deaths? I'm not sure. But we are also the third most populated country on the globe so...we have more people to go nuts.

And I like working holidays (yes, including Black Friday) right now. I'm across the country from family and friends and since all my friends are in service industries (retail/food service/health) we tend to celebrate holidays being over more than the holiday itself. Also, holidays are good freaking money. Plus management takes so much less crap from guests during holiday season--it's great. Maybe after I have kids or move closer to people I actually like I'll change my mind. But for now coffee and the power of telling people "no" fuels my little black heart. ;)

It was 8 last year right? I would not be shocked if they push it even more to 7 or even 6pm....The funny thing is I have had to usually be there late the night before setting up ad crap, then having to come in at opening working in electronics somewhere even though im a freaking PA, and then come back for a closing market shift all the while my CTL gets a nice comfy opening Market Shift and dont have to deal with all the BS
It was eight last year.

And your CTL is lazy. Mine worked a twelve hour shift in electronics with our electronics TL, managing the chaos and handling the Apple only line.

It was 8 last year right? I would not be shocked if they push it even more to 7 or even 6pm....The funny thing is I have had to usually be there late the night before setting up ad crap, then having to come in at opening working in electronics somewhere even though im a freaking PA, and then come back for a closing market shift all the while my CTL gets a nice comfy opening Market Shift and dont have to deal with all the BS
It was eight last year.

And your CTL is lazy. Mine worked a twelve hour shift in electronics with our electronics TL, managing the chaos and handling the Apple only line.
Dont have to worry about this this year...there is no CTL anymore haha...sigh

@pfreshdude

Gotta love AE2014, eh?

My old CTL, from my story, quit. My store delayed my promotion from PA until after the org change came down. They saved a pretty penny. I get all the CTL responsibilities, yet I'm the lowest paid TL in the store.

Gotta love spot.

Spending holidays with family has lost its significance considering how dysfunctional most are these days; you've got step-parents & split custody, incarcerated family members, kith & kin in rehab....hardly anyone fits the Norman Rockwell image of holiday gatherings.
Despite all that, many folks gather without regard to blood or relationship & it would be great if people could give up their mad spending for a day or 2 but I just don't see it happening.
Color me cynical.

I remember working for Wal-Mart, and half of the opening cashiers NCNS on black Friday morning. Granted, this was when black Friday started on Friday.

I have had line control in electronics for the last 4 years. All by myself. Never again after being yelled at, ask 20 million times if I had this or that left. One lady turned so red in the face because she was in the wrong line thought she was going to take a swing at me. Not fault you didn't listen when I said if you want I phones please go left any other electronic item right. Was hoping to be out of target by then but who knows.

The other thing that stinks is the doing 8 hours then going home for 7 then back in for another 8 home for 7 more then back in for another 8. Did that last year I slept for 15 hours the first day I got off. Ended up sick too but I worked it.

The real question we should ask is....after you finish black Thursday shift do you shop ?

I never shop on Black on Black Friday just on general principals but my wife did with her mom because they are ninja shoppers.
Then she discovered that she could get just as good deals on the net and have them delivered without fighting the crowds, she never did it again.

I remember working for Wal-Mart, and half of the opening cashiers NCNS on black Friday morning. Granted, this was when black Friday started on Friday.
My last day as a CSM at Walmart was Black Friday. Worked my shift, clocked out, left my keys/badge/discount card in the GMs office and walked out the door without saying a word. (I had made a very simple schedule request for that week months in advance. It was denied. I got hired at another company in the meantime.)

The real question we should ask is....after you finish black Thursday shift do you shop ?

I never shop on Black on Black Friday just on general principals but my wife did with her mom because they are ninja shoppers.
Then she discovered that she could get just as good deals on the net and have them delivered without fighting the crowds, she never did it again.
I shop, to be honest shopping in a store to me is a ton of fun compared to Internet browsing. Yes even on BF

We had people scheduled in market last year, but they had to hand out the TVs with tickets and they had vacuums and some other stuff over there. They were still black fridaying.

I've never really shopped on Black Friday, not even prior to working retail. First year with target (2012) I went to the store Friday night to get a few groceries, but those were necessities, not Black Friday shopping. If I actually found something that was a good deal, I might, though.

A lot of it doesn't seem like good deals to me, though. TVs are typically cheaper closer to the end of the year, because new ones usually come out beginning of the year. Console bundles rarely come with extras/games I would've purchased. The softlines "sales" are all cheaply (yes cheaper than normal) made junk shipped in specifically for bf. Same for the towels and maybe some of the blankets. And when that stuff doesn't sell, it gets marked down on Saturday. That's what I've noticed in the past two years, anyway. I think some of the appliances that came in were online only items prior to (and after) Black Friday.

Tl;dr Black Friday seems to be a ruse to me.

This!!! Holy crap. I despise crowds and crowded situations. Online shopping for deals is the best thing ever cause I can do it from my couch with my dogs. It's usually how my husband and I end up finding Christmas gifts for each other.

This!!! Holy crap. I despise crowds and crowded situations. Online shopping for deals is the best thing ever cause I can do it from my couch with my dogs. It's usually how my husband and I end up finding Christmas gifts for each other.
I just enjoy holding the item first. Plus it's easy to return

I know I'm gonna get flack for this but I really don't care. I don't have a lot of family and I don't really want to hang out with them anyway. I volunteered for opening shift last year and I'll do it again this year. That way, people who want to be with their families can.

I know I'm gonna get flack for this but I really don't care. I don't have a lot of family and I don't really want to hang out with them anyway. I volunteered for opening shift last year and I'll do it again this year. That way, people who want to be with their families can.
Difference is you volunteered. Same reason I've already volunteered to work the triple split shift I worked last year (12-14 hour opening shift Thursday-Friday, plus closing shift Friday night). My TMs deserve some time with family.

My wife won't be happy about it, but it's sweet, sweet overtime and holiday pay for me.

I volunteered for opening shift last year and I'll do it again this year. That way, people who want to be with their families can.

Thank you but Many of the times people who volunteeted for opening don't get it and people who can't work it get scheduled for it.

No flack. Volunteering is the opposite of being forced lol. I think target is trash because the majority of us aren't like you (at least, that's not what I'm witnessing in my store. Our volunteer sheet was nearly empty last year.) If it were possible for target to have enough volunteers to do their little black thanksgiving, there wouldn't be an issue.

I already asked my mom to do a small thanksgiving with just our immediate family so I can get to work, though. As long as target doesn't start when the sun is still up, I'll be fine. I hope the break room food is better this year, too. I don't need a carby breakfast at 8pm when I'm supposed to be awake and working.

I just hope they dont push the time back AGAIN.....might as well just be open the whole freaking day if we are going to open at 7 or 8 anyway. At that point Target or any retailer doesnt have the right to call it Black "Friday" since it isnt even starting on Friday anymore and its 4-5+ hours on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back