Black Friday 2023

I'm an ODTM, today I went in to buy an item and saw one of my favorite team leads, said a quick hello and told her, "fyi, I'm going to be available for hours these next few days if you need help." (Last week she said if I want hours next week, which is this current week, that they could use me because they had a ridiculous amount of open lines.) Today she informed me that ALL hours are cut and if someone calls in sick, they aren't able to even cover those hours. About 10 days ago we had someone from corporate come through and they spent a sh!+ load of hours on cleaning up the store. I've expressed here before that my store is an absolute mess.

There was 1 class of new hires at the end of last week and those new TMs didn't get any hours to work this week. As I left the store I saw we had the new signs "We're Hiring! -- Part Time Heroes Wanted." We've had no other new hires

We frequently don't cover call-offs. If 2-3 cashiers call off, for the same shift, they'll usually try and replace one of them, but not all of them.

So what happens to those hours?
SD gets a bonus for not going over on payroll, so she is usually happy when people call off so long as they aren't strictly needed for the store to stay afloat.

I have always wondering whether there a correlation between a TM calloff and whether Target gives them any hours in the first place.

If you hire someone and tell them that they will get 20+ hours a week then keep scheduling them 10 all the time they will call off more.
I mean, if they want 20 hours, I'd think they'd be less likely to call off if you give them 10. 10's already less money than they want/need, less than 10 is even less than 10.
Whereas if they want 20 and you give them 30, I'd expect them to be more likely to call off since they don't need all the hours they were given to pay their bills most likely.

We frequently don't cover call-offs. If 2-3 cashiers call off, for the same shift, they'll usually try and replace one of them, but not all of them.
They might be purposely overscheduling expecting there to be call outs.

They might be purposely overscheduling expecting there to be call outs.
In theory this makes sense, but in practice....but we're scheduled way lighter than we were years ago as is. Tasks frequently just don't get done because we aren't staffed well enough to do them.

Normally I do the Cooler/Freezer WACO Audits/temperature audit, Inventory Audit, Price Audit, Price Change, RTS, Out of Holds, and pulls - whenever I can find the spare time to do so. Most of those tasks don't get done unless I'm the one to do them, and if we have any call-offs I usually can't get away from the service desk or off drive-ups long enough to do them on a consistent basis.

I know if they're calling me they're desperate... I've gone in and only SCO is open and anyone with alcohol goes to guest services. Or SCO TM goes to the nearest register to ring up the alcohol.
And then they wonder why people are leaving. Gee. Big mystery.
Exactly, it wouldn't surprise me that those people are interviewing still at other stores.

I was out of state a month ago and ordered some items to pick up at the nearest Target and when I went in, I was so shocked.... It was beautiful, clean and organized... my husband made a comment and said I bet the registers have no go backs.... (one of my pet peeves.. 😂🙃)

Is the Golden Contribution still a thing?
It used to be a bonus SDs got for not only not exceeding payroll but reducing hours without affecting metrics.
I don’t know if it’s still a thing or not, but our SD got it one year. Hours were cut to the bone and the only time the store didn’t look like a hurricane hit it was when a visit was coming. Don’t suppose that could have encouraged massive cheating on metrics or anything…🤔😉

I don’t know if it’s still a thing or not, but our SD got it one year. Hours were cut to the bone and the only time the store didn’t look like a hurricane hit it was when a visit was coming. Don’t suppose that could have encouraged massive cheating on metrics or anything…🤔😉
I always thought announcing visits on a specific day was pointless.

I would just tell the store the week I am coming not the specific day.

Last edited:

It is pointless if they really want to see what’s going on. Sometimes I think the district manager just announces visits because they know the stores will get cleaned up, since sometimes they don’t even bother to show up. I always thought those surprise visits were a lot more illuminating, since those are the ones where all the senior leadership got called to the training room to get chewed out and to find the motivation to improve things, at least for a short while.

What's more pointless was during remodel. With so many containers. Mixture of mdse and fixtures. Many times I couldn't remember what was inside. Vistors asking what's in them instead of opening it and looking for yourself vist after vist.

It is pointless if they really want to see what’s going on. Sometimes I think the district manager just announces visits because they know the stores will get cleaned up, since sometimes they don’t even bother to show up. I always thought those surprise visits were a lot more illuminating, since those are the ones where all the senior leadership got called to the training room to get chewed out and to find the motivation to improve things, at least for a short while.

It's not in the SDs interest to have their boss walk into a train wreck. It's not in the DSDs interest for their boss to walk into a train wreck. It's not in the GVPs interest....well you get it.

At one of our recent corpotate visits they had all had Christmas hats on to apparently motivate us.
This must have been put out as a strong encouragement. Our "reindeer run" today was the same. Xmas wearables on all of their heads.

I don't really care one way or another. If they enjoyed wearing them, that's fine. But if they were "encouraged" to... it's a little cringe. But of course, we're not supposed to know that, right?

At one of our recent corpotate visits they had all had Christmas hats on to apparently motivate us.
This is happening Friday at my store (fly-in: Whoo hooo!!) My ETL and I agreed that we "hate those people -- the ones that fuck us over at every turn." No I'm not coming in extra to fake the store in 'ready' shape. I don't need that annoyance.
Also, last year they handed out Starbucks gift cards like dust. Our inbound TL who works his ass off and has only been there 18 mos, is LDS -- he loved that gift card let me tell ya.

In theory this makes sense, but in practice....but we're scheduled way lighter than we were years ago as is. Tasks frequently just don't get done because we aren't staffed well enough to do them.

Normally I do the Cooler/Freezer WACO Audits/temperature audit, Inventory Audit, Price Audit, Price Change, RTS, Out of Holds, and pulls - whenever I can find the spare time to do so. Most of those tasks don't get done unless I'm the one to do them, and if we have any call-offs I usually can't get away from the service desk or off drive-ups long enough to do them on a consistent basis.
Same old shit different day at most Target locations I see.

What's fulfillment? We haven't hired any of those DBOs pull OPUs and Standards
Haven't had DBOs in years at our store! We have a team of about 10 that is dedicated to picking OPUs and Standards plus packing/stowing.... that's not 10 per shift; it's a total of 10 tms to cover hours.

Back