Archived Black Friday Hours!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 18 registers, but at my estimate, only 9-11 of em work. Will they be working to get these repaired between now and Black Friday?

They are supposed to be...but who the hell knows.
We have two that have had issue for a week, and mind you - these are our brand new ones from the last couple of months. 1 of those has a horrid card reader screen - I wish they would swap it to one of the ends we don't use. I have no idea if anyone is placing calls on these two wonderful pieces of machinery. Why do I doubt it??

Last year they almost put me on register for Black Friday but the register didn't work lol. I hope they get them all fixed and I get put on register. Cashiering seems more nonstop. I usually hate cashiering lol, but once that long line around the store forms, it's boring on the sales floor. And the guests always get mad at me for not remembering where things are when I'm on the sales floor. And I'm all "I'm sorry. I have the same map you do..."

Last year they almost put me on register for Black Friday but the register didn't work lol. I hope they get them all fixed and I get put on register. Cashiering seems more nonstop. I usually hate cashiering lol, but once that long line around the store forms, it's boring on the sales floor. And the guests always get mad at me for not remembering where things are when I'm on the sales floor. And I'm all "I'm sorry. I have the same map you do..."

Dont even get me started on that map....Last year I opened and was scheduled like 15 minutes before the store opened...thats DEF enough time to learn where everything is when you have to get equipement and have a huddle as well...sigh....pissed me off and made me look like an idiot...Not even to mention I am a PA and work in market ALL of my shifts and they stuck me in Toys/Electronics where I have no idea where anything is

Hello Trial By Fire.

Black Friday is my first week as a GSA, yet I will be in charge for the opening shift Thanksgiving night, and the busy shift on Black Friday (ie. I will leave at 2 AM or so, GSTL comes in then, he leaves around 8 AM, at which point I come back).

My store either has a good bit of faith in me, or they're hoping I run screaming into the night.

I might need to roll a dice to figure out which is the reality.

Consult a friendly neighborhood Magic 8 Ball.

My store has it where if you help set up on Wednesday you can choose to have Thanksgiving or Black Friday off.

Last edited:
ETL-AP wanted me in mens where the video games and TVs would be. Then she remembered that celebrity fragrances are 40% off.

I wonder how many guest surveys I can get hahahahahaha

somehow I managed to get a shift from 7am-5pm on Friday. I'm off on Turkey Day. I almost feel guilty for getting to enjoy time with my family while just about everyone else will be spending their thanksgiving evening at Target. Almost.

I'm really confused.
I know this isn't really Target related, but you know how people have been making a big deal over people working on Thanksgiving and stuff, how us having to be at Target by around 4 PM is a big deal...

Dollar fucking General is open 7 AM to 7 PM on Thanksgiving.

like seriously who the donk thinks YEAH I'M GONNA GET ALL MY BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING DONE AT DOLLAR GENERAL!
I have been working at Target for more than 10 years. When I was hired, working on Thanksgiving was not expected and definitely not required. Thanksgiving was reserved as a family day and was a closed-store holiday when I was hired. It was important to me to spend this day with my family then and now that my family has grown, it is important to me now. Why a big deal? Because for almost 30 years my family has gathered together in my home to celebrate and give thanks for the blessings that we have been given and worked for. I used to be available to my family that one day each year. It was our day. Now Target wants it and is pretty much telling us that we don't have a choice because "it's retail". Maybe it's not important to you. Fine, then you work that day. Let me baste my turkey, cool my pies, have a cocktail, and deal the next hand in the annual family card game while I enjoy a day with no more expectation than to eat too much and be thankful for all that I have (including my job).

Hello Trial By Fire.

Black Friday is my first week as a GSA, yet I will be in charge for the opening shift Thanksgiving night, and the busy shift on Black Friday (ie. I will leave at 2 AM or so, GSTL comes in then, he leaves around 8 AM, at which point I come back).

My store either has a good bit of faith in me, or they're hoping I run screaming into the night.

In charge? Like "in charge" with at least two other GSTLs/GSAs? Don't get overly worked up either way. They're just trying to fill a schedule with bodies who can do the job. Last year we had our gsa who had been with the company for two weeks opening with us on Black Friday. With three people to run the lanes and help the cashiers, we put him in the middle group and ran him over as needed to help out the cashiers.

Don't go in expecting to be the one "in charge." There will probably be another one or two of you there, and I would guess the one with the most experience would be the one with a plan and will be the one to execute it.

In charge? Like "in charge" with at least two other GSTLs/GSAs?

Me and the GSA I trained who was an external hire in August.

The GSTL is coming in around 2-3 AM when we leave for the slow shift. I then come back at 8 AM-ish when it gets busy again, around which time he leaves.

The GSA who has been here for 10+ years is closing Friday, and not working Thursday or overnight.

I was expecting to work that shift, I wanted the two busiest shifts in fact, but I expected the GSTL'd be working them as well as he did last year, the other new GSA is in most ways still "greener" than me despite me technically being newer-in-role because he has never worked a Black Friday, or worked retail at all until hired here a few months back.

I'd have been perfectly comfortable working these shifts with the GSTL, or the long-standing GSA, but not so much with the newbie who's never worked a Black Friday and is more likely to follow my lead than the reverse.

Last edited:
Wait, your gstl is working the slowest shift, and only 6 hours at that???

That is a....WTF moment on the schedule right there.

And your ETL is fine with this???? Are they new too??

Might not be 6 hours, not sure of the exact start/end times, his might overap a hour or so on each end with my shifts, but yes, he's working the slow overnight shift, I am getting the two busy shifts, the first with the other new GSA, not sure if I have the newbie with me the second time as well, but probably.

My expectation initially was to have 4 shifts, and for them to go like this:

1 = GSTL
2 = Older, tenured GSA who has worked here for 15ish years (not sure when she started but her TM # starts with '27'
3 = me
4 = other newbie /recent external

1/3->4->1/3->2/4

That's what I'd have scheduled, other newbie gets the only solo shift, but it'd be the slow overnight shift, older GSA gets just 1 shift (she only had one shift last year, and it was closing, she has Thanksgiving dinner for her 6-7 grandchildren and all her kids at her house, she's worked here for a milion years, IMO she's earned the night off).

Could technically switch 3 with 4 there, we're both much less experienced than 1/2, at least in role (I've worked here longer than the GSTL, but he's been here 1-1.5 years, whereas I've been here 1.5-2, so overall I'd still give him the nod experience-wise since most of my duration was as cashier, all of his as GSTL), but I wanted the time and a half shift, and was pretty sure our HRTM'd give it to me over the other new GSA because she tends to favor those with more seniority if two people both want the same shifts. that and I worked last BF, whereas the other GSA has never worked a BF before, or any day where we did over ~$130,000 in sales, I think he's going to be in for a good shock when he finds out that that ~$100,000 is roughly going to be our sales per hour.

Last edited:
I think I'm also amazed you all would only schedule two people to open GSA/GSTL that night. Even as ULV, we schedule three.

Only way I can see us getting three is if our 5th GSA works, and I don't think she will, nor did last year.

There's one that just works weekends during the school year because she works at a school. They don't appear to be scheduing her to work.

I'm genuinely curious what their reasoning is. We have 1 GSTL, supposed to have 2, the older GSA I can only assume stays a GSA forever, she'd have been promoted years ago if she was going to be. Possible they don't deem her to be leader material, or more likely IMO is she doesn't want to be promoted.

However we're supposed to have 2 GSA's, we have 3 that can currently work full-time, 4th that works weekends, 5th on LOA, so we're sort of over combined headcount right now, and far over when the 5th GSA returns, so it seems unlikely we hire another GSTL, if we get a second GSTL it should be via promotion as otherwise we'd be 2-3 over headcount, so I'm curious if they're trying to see which of the two of us that were recently made GSA handles pressure well to decide who to bench, or to see if one folds under pressure and quits (either scenario helps headcount).

Last edited:
I go in 45 min. before opening until - well, until we don't need you. I said I can't work all night. So they said Pink how about you open Thursday, you tentatively stay until midnight but if we need you you stay longer then Go home comeback 2 pm Friday until close. I said will you all keep it neat and clean for me between Midnight and 2 pm... they said no guarantee. I looked at them with pursed lips and they said they would try. (Ha,Ha) All I can say is thank goodness we will have a restroom porter because I hate adding "restroom checkup" to my things to do list on busy days..The busier we are, it seems the more the guests turn into slobs. Is it their revenge? Who throws their toilet paper on the floor? Who doesn't flush the toilet? and one of the grossest things - who poops on the walls? I would hate to go to their houses. I am not mean to these people, why must they take their Target hatred out on something I have to clean? Sigh.

I'm not sure of the exact start/end times of my shifts, just that I get shift 1 and 3, but I did see 5:45 - 2:15 AM for shift #1 a few days back on mytime a few days ago. That has since been deleted. I hope it isn't that, I am actually fine with 2:15 AM, but I would prefer more than 15 minutes before open so that I am better prepared for the craziness :p

Sounds like the GSTL weaseled their way out of the opening shift...I am almost 100% sure my GSTL will be there during open and prob when it gets busier again Friday

Well the store is going to burn Thanksgiving week.

They actually planned to take 7 trucks, each day. Idiots want to take one Thanksgiving morning and then another one at 10pm, 4 hours when the store opens.

We can barely catch up with 6 trucks back to back in the backroom. 7 trucks AND ship to store process?!

STL told us in huddle that we'd be getting a HUGE paycheck for Thanksgiving weekend. Please define HUGE. A buck or two differential for overnight hours does not make my paycheck HUGE. Unless maybe they're gonna print them on HUGE paper...

I was keeping from rolling my eyes when our LOD was trying to sell us the dollar differential. I don't care about maybe and extra 8 dollars. I rather sleep at a normal time, thank you!

STL told us in huddle that we'd be getting a HUGE paycheck for Thanksgiving weekend. Please define HUGE. A buck or two differential for overnight hours does not make my paycheck HUGE. Unless maybe they're gonna print them on HUGE paper...

My ETL-GE described it as from noon Thanksgiving onwards, there's an extra dollar. Then working overnight gets another dollar, and all Thanksgiving is time and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back