Archived Black Friday Hours!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
STL told us in huddle that we'd be getting a HUGE paycheck for Thanksgiving weekend. Please define HUGE. A buck or two differential for overnight hours does not make my paycheck HUGE. Unless maybe they're gonna print them on HUGE paper...

My ETL-GE described it as from noon Thanksgiving onwards, there's an extra dollar. Then working overnight gets another dollar, and all Thanksgiving is time and a half.

It's time and a half Thanksgiving, It's +$1 from noon on thanksgiving to 8 am on Friday. + $0.50 from 10 PM Thursday to 8 AM Friday.

So my shift of 5:45 - 2:15 AM is:

Base ($9.00 + $1.00) * 1.5 = $15.00 per hour from 5:45 till 10:00
10-12: = $10.00 + .50 = 10.5 * 1.5 = 15.75
12-2:15 = $10.50

so all said and done I make (4.25 * 15) + (2*15.75)+(2.15*10.5)=$117.83/9=13.0917 hours paid for 8.5 hours worked (In theory, there will be a half hour lunch removed from that, but not sure when it will be to know how much to remove)

Tell me if I am wrong, but I do not think we earn time and a half for the $1 shift differential. I have worked many holidays this year and earn time and a half for my shift, then an extra dollar for the hours worked between 4am and 8am.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I do not think we earn time and a half for the $1 shift differential. I have worked many holidays this year and earn time and a half for my shift, then an extra dollar for the hours worked between 4am and 8am.

It's worded at least as adding the shift differential to BASE pay, which should be before being multiplied by 1.5.

ie.

9+1.5=10.5*1,5=15.75

as opposed to:

9*1.5=13.50+1.5=15

It's time and a half Thanksgiving, It's +$1 from noon on thanksgiving to 8 am on Friday. + $0.50 from 10 PM Thursday to 8 AM Friday.

So my shift of 5:45 - 2:15 AM is:

Base ($9.00 + $1.00) * 1.5 = $15.00 per hour from 5:45 till 10:00
10-12: = $10.00 + .50 = 10.5 * 1.5 = 15.75
12-2:15 = $10.50

so all said and done I make (4.25 * 15) + (2*15.75)+(2.15*10.5)=$117.83/9=13.0917 hours paid for 8.5 hours worked (In theory, there will be a half hour lunch removed from that, but not sure when it will be to know how much to remove)
I'd have made $145.31 with that shift and those extra pay amounts.

Maybe I should offer to work??? Not that I could have stayed awake past 11pm....

I was asked if I wanted to come in at midnight to 8am for a WHOLE DOLLAR EXTRA an hr.
I said no, but I'd come in Thurs for time & a half. No response back yet.

I was asked if I wanted to come in at midnight to 8am for a WHOLE DOLLAR EXTRA an hr.
I said no, but I'd come in Thurs for time & a half. No response back yet.

Should be $1.50+ a hour for that shift. Still not as good as x1.5 though.

To the contrary, I'm glad I don't live in a state where the government tries to tell me what days should be important to me.

I'd much rather live in a place with blue laws or like Europe where they have reasonable hour laws.
At the very least make certain days or times of day mandatory overtime.

The ideal scenario for me would be a system where each employee has 'x' days they can choose which they cannot under any circumstances be scheduled to work, or at the very least must be paid overtime on if scheduled to work. Similar to your scenario, but the employee still determines which days are important to them, not the company or government decides which should be important to them.

Maybe Christmas is super important to you as a Christian, but maybe an atheist has no issue working that day and considers their own birthday or anniversary to be a day of greater value, etc.

I'd much rather live in a place with blue laws or like Europe where they have reasonable hour laws.

The ideal scenario for me would be a system where each employee has 'x' days they can choose which they cannot under any circumstances be scheduled to work, or at the very least must be paid overtime on if scheduled to work. Similar to your scenario, but the employee still determines which days are important to them, not the company or government decides which should be important to them.

Maybe Christmas is super important to you as a Christian, but maybe an atheist has no issue working that day and considers their own birthday or anniversary to be a day of greater value, etc.
Commie's gunna have a whole long list of dates that aren't going to be the "norm". ;)

The problem is that is a huge culture thing, and those raised with traditional Christian holidays don't seem to care about anyone else's holidays that don't conform. My boyfriend had huge issues trying to get a few hours off for the recent Jewish holidays. It shouldn't have come down to what he had to do/say for it to happen.

I resent the crap when I have to work on my birthday, some people don't. Last year my ETL ignored my day off I was assured when I was hired, this year they weren't giving me it off either.

As for OT, i'm pretty conservative - but the CA Labor laws are a lot fairer to the employees. You can better believe we tried to avoid our people going into triple time, and we insured they had 8 hours off between shifts - even if they went into OT and were scheduled early. In fact, if you violated the 8 hours rest you got in trouble.

The simple fact is, we have stupid laws because people won't just use common sense. SO we make a law about it.

Christmas hasn't been a religious holiday for a very long time. It matters just as much to atheists as it does to Christians.

I wish there were laws keeping stores from selling too many different types of products. Sort of like liquor, but for drugs and/or specialty products. Also not being able to sell clothes and groceries and toys.

A lot of Christmas traditions are rooted in paganism... And lots of atheists celebrate Christmas. My belief system is in line with deism. I love me some Christmas, though. I wouldn't be bothered if the store was open on Christmas, but I wouldn't work it. Then again, I've said the same thing about thanksgiving in the past and now I'm doing my food calculations based on a 3pm dinner. And I'm hoping the Eagles game goes super quick, magically... Or that I'll be able to stealthily check the score.

If they ever decided to not close for Easter, I'm down, though.

So you have to be out by 11:59 on wednesday and then have 1 hour to set up on Friday?

I think I'm also amazed you all would only schedule two people to open GSA/GSTL that night. Even as ULV, we schedule three.

tcfDw6C.png

tcfDw6C.png

6:00 start time for GSA shift. That seems well thought out too. It said 5:45 a few days ago, that seemed bad as is, expected 5:30, but 6:00 is just silly, punch in and rush to the checklanes as the hordes roll in.

Attachments

• 6pmstart.PNG
    6pmstart.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 4
I wanted BF morning, thought I was getting scheduled it in addition to Thanksgiving, wound up getting 2:30 - 9:45 PM instead. I guess at least I won't have like 3-4 hours of sleep this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back