Archived Calling out to persue new job vs. Being honest with ETLs

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mister Bulky

I'm a little bit at a loss on what to do in this scenario...also not sure how to title this thread, but here we go:

Without giving too much away...a little background...

I've been an overnighter for 17 years. I work from 9:30pm-8am. I very, very rarely miss work...like 1 call out a year tops and am never late. I have a family (a wife and two kids) and my wife works as well... and gets paid more than I do. We could make it off what she makes for a little while, but not without a lot of sacrifice and only temporarily. I have not applied at many jobs since getting this one in 1998. Recently in my city there have been a number of job openings I'd like to go for. These are primarily manufacturing/production jobs and pay well above what I could earn at Target. I applied for one of them, took a pre-employment test and ended up in the top 34 out of 600. I got called for a tour of the plant, which I took today and filled out the formal application. I received a time slot for my interview next Friday (the 18th). There are 12 positions open now and a hiring pool that will last for 1 year.

I had 2 days notice for the tour I took today at 11:30am. I decided to call out last night (Thursday), with the excuse that I was sick, so I could take the tour and be awake and aware of my surroundings. Safety is a top priority for this plant and I didn't want to be sleepy or appear drained after being done with work at 8am. There was no one who I could swap shifts with as I am one of the only people trained in bulk and the backstock side of the unload on Thursday and Friday nights. The only timeslot I could get for my interview is next Friday at 12:30pm. My question is this: Do I call out again next Thursday night with another excuse so I can be fresh, prepared, and coherent for my interview? Or...should I be honest and explain the situation with my ETL? I don't want to get in a bunch of trouble for calling out if this doesn't work out...but I can't pass up this chance, it would help myself and my family immensely if I got in.

Also...if I don't get this job, how should I handle other situations like this when they arise? I'd like to keep applying for these jobs as this is one of those few and far between times where jobs are plentiful here but with very stiff competition. Is quitting a realistic option rather than calling out a couple times if and when these scenarios happen?

It may seem like a silly question to some, but I'm really not sure how to handle this... I haven't looked for jobs much at all during my 17 years at Target and now this scenario started to fall into my lap and into place. I'm not really sure how to move forward without causing myself a lot of problems at work.

Lie until you know anything in real terms. You have kids they are good for a couple days.

I am from the school you say nothing until you have offer signed and new job in your pocket. Not what you want to do, but safest if you turn out to not get the job, you will never have to speak to it or justify it at review time.

The decisions totally unto you, but my advise to you is just don't loose sight of your obligation at your current employer... I'm a firm believer of always looking for that dream job or better paying job, but don't "burn your bridge" at Target. You should contact your Potential employer and explain to them the situation and see if there is a more convenient time for your interview, that might show them that your a loyal person and might help you get in. Just my thought, just don't burn your bridge and by calling out and lying about your reasoning would burn your bridge in my book.

Agree with @Bosch. You dont owe anything to Target. Dont say anything until you have a written job offer. No matter how well liked and respected you are at your store, that will be tossed out the window once leadership knows you are looking to leave. They can make every minute at work absolutely miserable. They may also try to convince you to stay. Since you have a family to support, a better paying job sounds like the way to go.

I would guess that after working so many years overnight, you have lots of ways to keep yourself awake. Rely on those techniques to make those daytime interviews.

You don't have to lie. I've been at target 11 years. I've called off maybe 6 times. When I call, I say ... I can't come to work. If they ask, I say it's personal.

Think of it this way, how many times have I seen a note on the schedule (this week's schedule!) ... Check your schedule, it may have changed.

I would never, ever let on you are looking for a new job. That is suicide.

But yeah, call the place you are looking at and explain your schedule.

You actually don't have to tell them why you're calling out. And they're not supposed to ask you why, either. I never say why. I just say I can't make it. The only time I ever explained myself was the time I had that terrible awful c. diff on and off for a month (I relapsed twice... 3 rounds of meds). Also the only time I ever brought a doc note in (which they're also not supposed to ask you for, but it's a good precaution if anyone is ever in such a situation).

Don't tell anyone you are looking for a new job until you have an offer in writing, a start date, and are putting in your two weeks notice. Can you reschedule and then put in a time off request?

You don't have to lie. I've been at target 11 years. I've called off maybe 6 times. When I call, I say ... I can't come to work. If they ask, I say it's personal.
Do this!!!

Be as vague as possible without outright lying, and keep working your ass off when you are at work.

If it goes on for a while, and you eventually get pulled into the office, as a last resort you can tell the truth about trying to do what's best for your family by looking for another job. That may get you some sympathy and some slack when calling out.

Thank you all for the great advice. Even though they aren't supposed to, at my store LOD's always ask for a reason why you are calling out. They don't accept the "it's personal" excuse. I've heard stories from coworkers and overheard things they've said on the phone. I know it's not right of them, but I feel powerless to say anything. It hasn't been my fight or my place to say something. Then there are the remarks you get from everybody else on the crew. But I can deal with that...last night people were more just concerned and hoping I was okay. I just hate calling out for any reason. I never call out because I'm sick. The only times I have ever called out in my tenure with Target are when my kids have been sick, sent home from daycare, and not allowed back to daycare for the next day (and my wife couldn't take the day off from work) or when my dad had his heart attacks and my mom (who doesn't drive) needed rides to the hospital. I feel so guilty about calling out and what makes it worse is that I know inside, anything I say is a lie. I hate lying. I feel like an idiot saying this stuff in a way. So many people I've seen over the years are of the mindset "call out...who cares?" I just can't do that. It bothers me. But in this instance, it would be so I can make things much better for myself and my family. It's still a war inside me, though.

I've decided so far to not mention anything about this possible job or any other opportunities in the future. I get what a lot of you are saying about it being suicide. I don't want to burn this bridge. In manufacturing and production jobs, there's always a possibility of layoff and idling. I'd like to leave on good terms and possibly be able to come back to Target if those situations occur. My store has been very accepting and welcoming of team members in good standing coming back even for short term employment under those circumstances.

I've decided that I will probably have to call out the night before my interview. I know it sucks. Given how things are at home with the kids (I handle pick up after school, homework, and dinner until my wife can get done with work), I'd have to stay up 22 hours before my interview, including a 10 hour logistics shift...go to the interview...then go home, sleep for 2 hours then be up all day, then go to work and do another 10 hour logistics shift. I could do it, but I feel like it might hurt my ability to be at my best for the interview and I'd be a tired wreck at work...even with 2 or 3 energy drinks and a thermos of coffee.

I don't know that I'd feel comfortable calling the hiring manager for the job I'm going for and try to reschedule the interview. She made it seem pretty clear that the spot we were given was final. They have 3 days to interview 34 people (each an hour long) and don't have much, if any, wiggle room. For those that pass the interview, they then would do reference and background checks, schedule a physical, and then have built in time for us to put in 2 weeks notice at our current job. The start date for the job is during the third week of October.

Again, thanks for all your different perspectives. I feel like such a tug of war is going on with my past and present (Target) and the future (this possible job). Ugh. I just want to make a better life for my family.

Call out say your sick. You owe nothing to Target. You have given years of hard work but, you can bet they would cut your hours and get rid of you without a thought. You mention your looking for another job and they will likely decide you are no longer dependable, cut your hours and drive you out. Trust me from somebody who gave many years of loyal service to Target, they could careless and have no loyalty to you.

The decisions totally unto you, but my advise to you is just don't loose sight of your obligation at your current employer... I'm a firm believer of always looking for that dream job or better paying job, but don't "burn your bridge" at Target. You should contact your Potential employer and explain to them the situation and see if there is a more convenient time for your interview, that might show them that your a loyal person and might help you get in. Just my thought, just don't burn your bridge and by calling out and lying about your reasoning would burn your bridge in my book.
I agree with not burning bridges but at the same time Spot has burned a lot of bridges as well...thus the reason they are and have lost a lot of great team members, etls, stl, tls etc etc

Don't say why you're calling out (lie)

Wait until you've secured another job before you let them know, and do it when you give 2 weeks notice. If they know you're looking elsewhere it can significantly affect your review performance.

Say nothing to no one until you have a job lined up and are starting to go that new job. one FA team member I am friends with made the mistake of talking to the TSC team member about how he put her as a reference but either she betrayed him and told the ETLs or they heard it and the next day asked if they should continue having him on the schedule. Just stay quite until you have the job and know you are leaving Target. Just continue to call out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back