Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

We've had shipt shoppers walk out with the items because they and whatever team member isn't know what they were doing. If the shipt does t get audited it shows up on an AP report.

Hey, would anyone happen to know the part number for this? It’s the label holder for gift cards inside the lanes. Thanks!
F38CED68-B445-4437-AD14-156024E4C511.jpeg 6D954CCB-0464-4BD3-9029-486003E7EF9A.jpeg

No and definitely not. Only a select handful of SAs get #s....not everyone who works over there does. Those of us who have them have worked GS for a long time and are considered de facto leaders when the actual GSTLs aren't there.

Anyone who gets SA shifts at my store has Supervisor #'s, but most Checkout Advocates don't. That said, there are only five people at my store that get scheduled as service advocate, basically ever, and one of them is on a medical LOA. It's not like we schedule 20 people as service advocate and they all have supervisor #'s.

Long-time lurker here, I've been a Cashier/GA/whatever with GSA responsibilities (I don't even know what to call that at this point lol) for several years now. Just wondering how your stores handle "item not found" returns for clearanced-out items?

Long story short(ish), had a guest come in the other night with about $200 of merchandise to return, my GS team member did everything she could off of the receipt but was having issues with a couple items so she called me over. As I looked it over I realized the receipt was from January, so I was impressed that it was working for any of the items (I think because they were a store brand and sometimes return policy is extended on that?), and so I explained to the guest that the receipt had expired, but was still letting us do most of it, it just wouldn't let me add the last couple items due to our 90-day return policy. I told him I would see if I could process them as a no-receipt return and get him a giftcard instead, as I've generally been advised to do--he was fine with that, so I started that process. There was one remaining $20-$30 item that was zeroed out and no matter what came up with the red "item not found" screen, so I told him that unfortunately we didn't sell that particular item anymore, so it wasn't in our system and we were unable to issue a refund, which is what I've always been told--if you can't make it happen on the register, then it can't be done (barring extenuating circumstances). He made a scene about it, I ended up calling up my closing TL who backed me up, he took our names for corporate and proceeded to storm around the store to spend the giftcard from the other items before leaving.

Today, was told by my SETLs (who are great, usually I'm totally on board with how they handle guest situations) that he had called the store this morning, and I was basically told that they decided to back me up this time, but in the future I should just issue a free giftcard for the value of the item as an apology for the "inconvenience"? That's not something I remember ever having anyone do in my years there and just seems off to me, just wondering if that's standard at other locations or what. Getting really frustrated with my store continuing to basically give away merchandise/giftcards to rude guests just to avoid bad surveys.

I occasionally return items as 099-09-0999 if they have a receipt, and then I defect the item out. I don't do it unless I can see what they paid though on a receipt.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed more errors with processing drive ups / order pick ups at my store. A lot of endless spinning or it will say “there was an error. try again or ring up at pos,” which for drive up orders just isn’t a viable option. trying again usually gets it, but i’m always worried it won’t actually process it and end up a walked order. it will eventually go to the red thank you screen, but 😬

Have any of you noticed this happening more often? Or it could just be a wifi issue with my store as of late.

Yes, I've seen this as well. It made me grateful that we are saving stickers so that the SETL/ETL can audit them later and make sure they go through because I don't want AP hanging around because of potentially walked orders.

Yes, I've seen this as well. It made me grateful that we are saving stickers so that the SETL/ETL can audit them later and make sure they go through because I don't want AP hanging around because of potentially walked orders.
They’re just doing their job.

Oh I know and that's totally fine. Our AP-ETL can be a bit grumpy and stresses out my fellow TMs and then I have to hear the TMs complain about him.
At our store all of snitches, we tell on each other constantly, like the old Soviet Union.

The heck happened to K1 even exchange? How do I do an exchange when a category coupon was used (cough, kids clothing deal)?
An pos update, 2 weeks ago.
I just found out there is a service desk register update that removes Even Exchanges. It doesn't seem to be that big of a problem to just return and sell new items in the same transaction. However I do worry about guests who don't have the original form of payment or got the item as part of a category coupon.
@Guessed Service

So we’ve been in the red for return to stocks for some time now. We’ve had a lot of walked orders even with auditing our completed orders. Are other stores struggling with this or are we just crazy bad?

I feel like it’s a connection issue or glitch a lot of the time (or at least some of the time), but I could be wrong. I’m just confused as to how a drive up order could go unprocessed? Like wouldn’t the time continue to tick and wouldn’t someone notice that? I’ve seen the annoying try again error and the app timing out way too much, but I’m curious if your service desks have struggled with RTS and walked orders?

Out RTS metric has been red also.
I don’t work in the front so not entirely sure why they can’t get it green. When I open I remind the desk to clear the RTS before 9 am and to NOT hit “not there/can not find”. They claim that more drop in throughout the day that they miss later and that is why they are red. I don’t think that is it- I would think the ones after 9 today need to be cleared anytime b4 9 am tomorrow- so clearing them each morning should keep it green. I don’t get what the problem is but we have been red forever.

So we’ve been in the red for return to stocks for some time now. We’ve had a lot of walked orders even with auditing our completed orders. Are other stores struggling with this or are we just crazy bad?

I feel like it’s a connection issue or glitch a lot of the time (or at least some of the time), but I could be wrong. I’m just confused as to how a drive up order could go unprocessed? Like wouldn’t the time continue to tick and wouldn’t someone notice that? I’ve seen the annoying try again error and the app timing out way too much, but I’m curious if your service desks have struggled with RTS and walked orders?

What does your audit process look like? For a while, we were writing down orders, but now we save stickers (one per order) and the TM who processes puts their initials. I'm pretty sure our RTS is in the green, but I am not an opener. We often also do RTS during the day and at night. It depends on how busy we are.

RTS does drop all day long. We do them when we come in and again at 8:50.

I don’t work in the front so not entirely sure why they can’t get it green. When I open I remind the desk to clear the RTS before 9 am and to NOT hit “not there/can not find”. They claim that more drop in throughout the day that they miss later and that is why they are red. I don’t think that is it- I would think the ones after 9 today need to be cleared anytime b4 9 am tomorrow- so clearing them each morning should keep it green. I don’t get what the problem is but we have been red forever.

You are correct. It just needs to be done once a day before 9. (Although, technically, it's fulfillment's job to do, not the front's.) It's a good idea to do them as they fall in throughout the day just so there isn't a bunch to do every morning. If I notice some have fallen in, I'll either do them between batches or ask our drive up TMs if they can get to them between orders if I'm swamped.

I would be cautious about not hitting "can't find." Check with your store AP and ETLs. Mine use that info to research potential theft or if there are particular GS TMs who are not being diligent when processing orders out. They need the report to do what they have to do.

A lot of the "Can't Find" items are caused by one common weirdness.

Let's say a guest is at the service desk. I go to pull their order, and I see it tell me to check the number of an item in their bag and remove some because they adjusted their order.

I should remove the items and put them back in the location where their order had been. This way when someone does RTS the items are there and they can put them in reshop.

What often happens though is the person who gives the guest their order reshops the items immediately rather than putting them back into the location which results in them not being there when someone does RTS later.

Return to stock is more than the 9am time. Orders not processed correctly results in shortage so this should be a huge focus. RTS will drop all day and you need to be honest when something is missing and partner with AP to identify a cause.

The new POS systems are terrible in terms of the Guest Services function. Once you go there and either scan the receipt or put in the Receipt ID, you can only post-void or change the quantity of one of the items. You can't adjust the price of an item if it was wrong and give the guest a refund.

I had an issue with this since the ETL-SE made a purchase on Friday night after closing and he pointed out that the exercise equipment he was buying should be $14 since he "saw" a sign for that price. I thought it rang up at that price but I didn't see that it charged $40 for it and it caused quite a problem since I think the service advocate who closed all of the registers had to take him to one of the older POS systems in order to give him a refund for the difference. I'm not even going to get into the issue of signs being misplaced since I assume my ETL-SE can tell if the DPCIs match up with the appropriate sign to determine if his item was really $14 instead of $40.

I'm guessing this has been discussed already but it's just another problem with the new POS system that should have been fixed before it was rolled out.

Return to stock is more than the 9am time. Orders not processed correctly results in shortage so this should be a huge focus. RTS will drop all day and you need to be honest when something is missing and partner with AP to identify a cause.

But we can't be honest because it is a metric. Sigh. The whole emphasis on "being in the green" causes cheating.

The OPU team no longer worries about INF because most know how to go into the pick up app and change the quantity. I'm pretty sure this means the guest doesn't get an email with the offer of having the item shipped.

Last edited:
So I take it that I shouldn't have changed it for him? I guess I got lucky that the service advocate responsible for closing the registers handled it instead.
In a normal situation, I agree that AP would talk to him about it but this ETL is always chatting with the AP team members so I'm skeptical that he would be disciplined. I'm curious to see how this turns out though.
I understand the seriousness of team members price challenging so I would never do it. I would rather buy a similar item at another store than risk losing my job over saving a few dollars.

Back