Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

I hate having to hunt for the sticker. When I do OPUs (my store is having everyone at GS learn), I put the stickers at the top and in the middle and put it in the bin with the sticker facing out. Someone puts them on the handle. I'm not mad at that idea because of the contrast. It would be nice if there was a red rectangle at the top of the bag for the sticker to go.
I have requested that there be consistency with label placement. It takes quite a bit of time searching for labels. A dedicated pre-printed spot on the bag would be such an easy fix.

Our drive up is failing miserably. Our times are red and our team is leaving bags of items out of orders and giving them to other guests. We are a super with guest service at one side of the store and the freezers and coolers at the other side. I’ll be forever grateful for any and all suggestions.
there is no excuse for giving guests the wrong items. period. you need to be recording the order #s and using myhelp/greenfield to determine which team members are fulfilling these orders so that you can coach them and if necessary put them on a corrective for repeated offenses. you have to actually set the expectation that accuracy comes first and then follow through with it.

Do you have a DU cart with the top middle bottom sign* attached? If so there should be no reason for mistakes on DUs

*(it’s a gocart orderable sign I think that is dry erase and has a box for name of top middle and bottom rack orders and number of bags and if any bags are in freezer)

there is no excuse for giving guests the wrong items. period. you need to be recording the order #s and using myhelp/greenfield to determine which team members are fulfilling these orders so that you can coach them and if necessary put them on a corrective for repeated offenses. you have to actually set the expectation that accuracy comes first and then follow through with it.

I want a log for the messed up OPUs, especially the ones where we miss bags. I want a sticker in the book so if a TM does it frequently, it can be coached. You can compare to greenfield to see if they aren't scanning the bags or whatever. Also put in the log where the missed bag is put. My ETL doesn't like my idea though.

Who has time to record order #'s when 6-10 DUs are coming at the same time and half of them gave no warning. Are you kidding me?
when a guest calls and says "hey you didn't give me my fucking dog food" and you look up their order you absolutely have the opportunity to record their order # for research later. there are plenty of opportunities to do that kind of research when you're not in the moment of a drive up rush, especially when you're auditing your hold locations and finding items that were just straight up not given to guests in completed orders

I want a log for the messed up OPUs, especially the ones where we miss bags. I want a sticker in the book so if a TM does it frequently, it can be coached. You can compare to greenfield to see if they aren't scanning the bags or whatever. Also put in the log where the missed bag is put. My ETL doesn't like my idea though.

i think that's a liiittle bit too fiddly given current volume and workload but the idea is in the right place

Who has time to record order #'s when 6-10 DUs are coming at the same time and half of them gave no warning. Are you kidding me?

Peel off a sticker. At my store we have to peel off a sticker (one per order #) and add it to our page. It helps track down out of hold orders.

when a guest calls and says "hey you didn't give me my fucking dog food" and you look up their order you absolutely have the opportunity to record their order # for research later. there are plenty of opportunities to do that kind of research when you're not in the moment of a drive up rush, especially when you're auditing your hold locations and finding items that were just straight up not given to guests in completed orders

The issue there is that it can be difficult to determine after the fact whose fault it was. Was it a fulfillment TM who hit reprint and slapped the same barcode on multiple items? Perhaps. Or, was it a GA who quickscanned multiple bags stowed properly and then forgot to grab one of them? The latter is an extremely bad habit for my store's DU TMs.

The issue there is that it can be difficult to determine after the fact whose fault it was. Was it a fulfillment TM who hit reprint and slapped the same barcode on multiple items? Perhaps. Or, was it a GA who quickscanned multiple bags stowed properly and then forgot to grab one of them? The latter is an extremely bad habit for my store's DU TMs.
@HQWireless can we get rid of reprint label button in epick? Or if it has to stay, can it ask after you hit reprint “label for new bag?”

It's not that simple. Stowing OPUs is a mess at my store. And, it's going to get even worse as TPTB have decided to focus on improving lower performing fulfillment TM's productivity. More corners are going to get cut. Ideally, they should focus on improving productivity while doing everything correctly. However, in reality the fulfillment TL also owns presentation so there's not a lot of time to monitor and follow up stowing OPUs. Also, as there is no metric directly related to it, there's not a lot of incentive to make it a priority.

I've suggested to the SETLs that they need to take control of the issue. They can regularly spot check how things are being put into hold and figure out who is doing it incorrectly. Giving that info to the fulfillment TL would allow for dealing with the specific TMs and get better results than asking for it to be a general priority.

No, they haven't followed my suggestion. That would be doing something, which is slightly more difficult than complaining that some other TL isn't doing something that they have no time to do effectively.
Talk to your fulfillment etl if the TL isn’t doing it right. Also talk to your etl. If none of them are willing to help you can see who is the one that messed it up. Just save the sticker until things calm down. Then go to myhelp and search the order. There it shows the team member number that prepped the order. Then go to workday and search the team member number with 00 in front. Just explain to that team member that it’s causing problems and they will most likely fix it. Just be nice about it because your arnt a TL. You could also have your TL talk to them.

I have requested that there be consistency with label placement. It takes quite a bit of time searching for labels. A dedicated pre-printed spot on the bag would be such an easy fix.
In our OPU room we have multiple signs showing that the stickers go in the middle top part of the bag. 90% of team members follow it. I would recommend just putting up a few example bags and most team members will follow what they say.

This is why I want a log for missed bags. It will help to see trends. Most of the time the missed bag is because a DU TM missed it. Chances are it happened during a busy time or when it was a large pop up. Logging these mistakes and comparing it to greenfield would help management figure out the solution.

This is why I want a log for missed bags. It will help to see trends. Most of the time the missed bag is because a DU TM missed it. Chances are it happened during a busy time or when it was a large pop up. Logging these mistakes and comparing it to greenfield would help management figure out the solution.
Just search the order in the pickup app. If they got part of the items from that location and the missed items are still in its location in a separate bag then the opu person messed up and reprinted label. If they missed all the items from that location then it wasn’t grabbed or was given to the wrong person. If it’s in the location it wasn’t grabbed if it’s missing it was given to the wrong person. Then search the order in myhelp and if it’s the DU TM fault then search the order completed by tm in workday with 00 in front. If it was prepared wrong then search the prepared by number in workday with 00 in front.

at the end of the day the responsibility lies with the advocate fulfilling the order for the guest imo. i don't care if the bag has 0 labels, 1 label, or 14 labels with unique barcodes on it, there's no reason to miss any items and advocates should be checking what's actually in the order in pickup and making sure that those are all the items being handed over

fulfillment not doing their side of the job (properly printing discrete labels for individual bulk items and bags) is a whole separate bag of cats that really needs to be addressed chainwide, and it's not an "uwu goal times" thing because even when we had the 3 hour timer it was still a huge fucking problem lol

We can't get rid of reprint. Connection issues are common. We need the option to try again. And, please don't add another prompt. Let's focus on getting TMs to do shit right.
I would argue need another prompt bc it’s clear there are too many instances with new TMs etc not doing it right.

Just search the order in the pickup app. If they got part of the items from that location and the missed items are still in its location in a separate bag then the opu person messed up and reprinted label. If they missed all the items from that location then it wasn’t grabbed or was given to the wrong person. If it’s in the location it wasn’t grabbed if it’s missing it was given to the wrong person. Then search the order in myhelp and if it’s the DU TM fault then search the order completed by tm in workday with 00 in front. If it was prepared wrong then search the prepared by number in workday with 00 in front.

It is also the DU TMs responsibility to make sure that we grabbed all the items. If you pick up a package of tp, but the bag says there should be 6 items, I hope you notice that and look for more stuff. That is an OPU error, but we can catch that and we should.

How are you searching on workday? I've never done that.

Our drive up is failing miserably. Our times are red and our team is leaving bags of items out of orders and giving them to other guests. We are a super with guest service at one side of the store and the freezers and coolers at the other side. I’ll be forever grateful for any and all suggestions.
First, give up on being green. Until you get coolers up front or proper staffing, you’re not going to make that goal. Get the team to buy in on getting those few 1 or 2 bag simple DU’s that come at a time under the goal, as that’ll help the average. Your team is stressed, and that’s causing them to get sloppy and mess up the orders.
Also, grab one of the ship carts and keep that up front for drive ups. It comes in handy when you have multiple orders piling in at once since you can load the (what is it actually called anyway? Cart? Tub? Glidy zoom zoom?) up with more orders with more sectioning capabilities than using the three tier carts. Plus if you get a bunch of no-notice arrivals at once, it’s easier to just have the whole DU team (if you’re lucky enough to have more than 1 person) load the thing up with everybody possible and then taking them all out together and knocking them out. It’s an average after all.
Ultimately, everyone needs to remember that a guest isn’t sitting there with a timer. Unless it takes more than like 6 minutes, they usually are satisfied with the speed. Keep in mind, a large percentage of drive up guests are just happy that the service exists, and they don’t care if it takes 2 minutes or 5 minutes. They DO mind if they have to come back because they got the wrong order or didn’t get all of their stuff. Accuracy over speed. You can explain a red drive up time easily, but you’ll have difficulty explaining a red survey score.

Last edited:
It is also the DU TMs responsibility to make sure that we grabbed all the items. If you pick up a package of tp, but the bag says there should be 6 items, I hope you notice that and look for more stuff. That is an OPU error, but we can catch that and we should.

How are you searching on workday? I've never done that.
You literally just go onto workday and tap the search bar then search the team member number with 00 in front. Use the pickup app to view past orders not myhelp. Only use myhelp to get more details about who prepared it and who processed it.

i think that's a liiittle bit too fiddly given current volume and workload but the idea is in the right place
It only takes seconds to snap a pic of label/sticker then later when time permits write down the info. That’s what we do at my store.

Back