Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Did you not read what the TM said when the TBR TM delivered her stuff to the car? Invisible illness had nothing to do with it. End of conversation.
And did you see nothing that I or HappyGoth said about pain at the end of the day? Sometimes, after a hard day at work and an arm/hand injury, lifting the items into the trunk is just not doable. So you either rely on the kindness of your fellow TMs and will likely get a no and have to abandon your purchases, or you use a service. And before you say it, there easily could be people at the other end of the commute, such as family or a close neighbor, that offer a certain unpacking.

Oh I saw it but you are assuming a lot about me based on my initial disagreement with your comment thus the end of the conversation.

We actually have several TMs who do DU and I don't mind. They are a guest like anyone else at that moment. It is the lack of warning. We all know that pop ups are the worst. It feels mean coming from someone you work with.

If a ™ does it at my store, I might jokingly make fun of them for doing it, but as long as they let us know they're on their way etc, I'm ok with it.

Personally I wouldn't do it at my own store but I would do it at other stores (though I haven't yet)

I only mind when my ETL does drive ups because they’ll always make a comment like, “wow seems busy today.” or even worse... “took you longer than 2 minutes. you guys need to pick it up.” Like stay away from us on your day off please. Plus, they always come during peak times or on the weekend... i swear just to check in on us.
Micromanaging at its finest!?

No need to turn it off.. just post a drive up closed sign outside and inform guests to go inside to pickup their order. Target has signs on workbench for this already.
Has anyone figured out a good way to hang them though? Tape doesn’t really do the trick in wet weather, and some of our signs have blown away during high winds. Granted, we now have been told we are not to close drive up under any circumstances. Plus, it’s a bit ridiculous to rely on a paper sign when storms can pop up all of a sudden before someone can run out and tape up a sign. Not to mention it would be better for guests if the app told them drive ups weren’t happening right now as opposed to them driving all the way there and finding out through a crappy paper sign. Not that any of them actually read or see the signs

Our drive up is failing miserably. Our times are red and our team is leaving bags of items out of orders and giving them to other guests. We are a super with guest service at one side of the store and the freezers and coolers at the other side. I’ll be forever grateful for any and all suggestions.

Our drive up is failing miserably. Our times are red and our team is leaving bags of items out of orders and giving them to other guests. We are a super with guest service at one side of the store and the freezers and coolers at the other side. I’ll be forever grateful for any and all suggestions.
There should be no reason for missing bags now. All bags must be scanned. If bags aren’t being given unique barcodes, partner with fulfillment lead and make them know that needs to be a priority.
As for giving guests wrong bags, there is REALLY no excuse for that other than TMs aren’t scanning at all. My store, we scan guests barcode, get bags, scan them, hand bags to guests. There aren’t a lot of places that can get mixed up. Reinforce with TMs proper scanning and checking.

if it were me I’d focus on getting accuracy working before working on time... but idk how that looks from a metrics side

During peak times have someone either stay at the freezer side of the store waiting for the freezer/cooler orders with an empty 3 tier to grab whatever. That way if there is a pop up, you already have someone down there. If someone is on the way, have someone head down when the guest is less than 10 minutes out. They can take the order with them and then take it straight to the guest.

Talk to your ETL about getting a remodel. Coolers/Freezers should not be on the opposite side. We have had like 5 remodels already for our pickup area. Use greenfield to see who removes bags from hold manually.

My store, we scan guests barcode, get bags, scan them, hand bags to guests. There aren’t a lot of places that can get mixed up. Reinforce with TMs proper scanning and checking.

Except that is more the process for OPU and not DU. And DU now has a 4 digit code and when you have 3 carts full of orders for 8-10 guests in DU all at the same time, it can happen. Especially if they a) haven't updated the app b) put it specific info about their car and/or c) included their name in the DU barcode info.

Also...we have told our fulfillment team until we are blue in the face about the separate barcode/bag bit. But when the TMs from Ship are pulled over to do DUs, they don't always know the protocols because they usually don't do DU. Or when they decide to use a salesfloor TM who last did OPUs before the new protocols went into effect. So yes, there are reasons why it happens. That's why we try to have our most DU-savvy TMs working because if you aren't sharp and paying attention, you've lost the battle.

If bags aren’t being given unique barcodes, partner with fulfillment lead and make them know that needs to be a priority.

It's not that simple. Stowing OPUs is a mess at my store. And, it's going to get even worse as TPTB have decided to focus on improving lower performing fulfillment TM's productivity. More corners are going to get cut. Ideally, they should focus on improving productivity while doing everything correctly. However, in reality the fulfillment TL also owns presentation so there's not a lot of time to monitor and follow up stowing OPUs. Also, as there is no metric directly related to it, there's not a lot of incentive to make it a priority.

I've suggested to the SETLs that they need to take control of the issue. They can regularly spot check how things are being put into hold and figure out who is doing it incorrectly. Giving that info to the fulfillment TL would allow for dealing with the specific TMs and get better results than asking for it to be a general priority.

No, they haven't followed my suggestion. That would be doing something, which is slightly more difficult than complaining that some other TL isn't doing something that they have no time to do effectively.

It's not that simple. Stowing OPUs is a mess at my store. And, it's going to get even worse as TPTB have decided to focus on improving lower performing fulfillment TM's productivity. More corners are going to get cut. Ideally, they should focus on improving productivity while doing everything correctly. However, in reality the fulfillment TL also owns presentation so there's not a lot of time to monitor and follow up stowing OPUs. Also, as there is no metric directly related to it, there's not a lot of incentive to make it a priority.

I've suggested to the SETLs that they need to take control of the issue. They can regularly spot check how things are being put into hold and figure out who is doing it incorrectly. Giving that info to the fulfillment TL would allow for dealing with the specific TMs and get better results than asking for it to be a general priority.

No, they haven't followed my suggestion. That would be doing something, which is slightly more difficult than complaining that some other TL isn't doing something that they have no time to do effectively.
It's true that the SETLs are in a good position to spot check the OPUs and communicate to the fulfillment TL, and we should be making that part of our routine. Maybe you have lazy SETLs or something, but for me it's very difficult to find time to do the research on all the little problems that come up. There are a lot of ways that mistakes can happen and it requires some logical deduction and communication to figure out many of those scenarios, which is inefficient. And it would be unfair to the fulfillment TL to just hand them a list of errors that he can't do anything with.

One suggestion is to have a focus every week. One week it's making sure that labels are on everything and placed uniformly. Another week the focus could be on proper bagging and neater storage (not overfilled, no unnecessary stuffing multiple orders into wacos). Something like that.

What is the TPBP? How many printers are you using to stow? My OPU team share one or two. It seems like it would help if the main OPU people had their own, on their cart. It's a waste of time to hit "create label" when you have to walk back and forth to the printer for 5 gallons of milk. I don't care if you just create one label for 5 of identical things. It's when you have a bag with some items in it, plus a package of TP. The OPU TM scans everything including the TP and hits create label, so then it looks, to the system, like the TP is in the bag. DU will miss that every damn time. Even if you put the physical bag on the TP, we will miss it. When stowing bubbly soda or other soda, you can create one label for 2 cases of soda if you put the sticker so it is on both boxes.

I love the idea of a weekly focus. I hate having to hunt for the sticker. When I do OPUs (my store is having everyone at GS learn), I put the stickers at the top and in the middle and put it in the bin with the sticker facing out. Someone puts them on the handle. I'm not mad at that idea because of the contrast. It would be nice if there was a red rectangle at the top of the bag for the sticker to go.

Back