Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

As sales floor staff I do wonder at times if GS abuses their ability to call for backup. Fairly frequently lately they stick sales floor staff on the registers farthest from GS and therefore first seen by guests walking up to check out, and then when the lines are down to where the cashiers closer to GS have only one person and I've seen some have no one in line, but GS doesn't come over to turn off our light and send us back to the floor and we can't sneak away on our own because guests see us first and don't walk by to other cashiers closer to GS. And of course that means that GS doesn't have to call for backup the next rush because we are already stuck there. I'm not talking 15 or so minutes, I've been on backup over an hour a few times, some of that seeing other cashiers have one person or none.

My srTL and ETL-HL start yelling at GS when they do that. They get told in no uncertain terms that they need to figure out how to get us off the lane.

That’s very odd to me that calling for backup or anything concerning backup has anything to do with the service desk at your guys’ store lol how could I possibly notice anything about the checklanes when I have a 10+ line at guest service open to close

GSTL, GSA, I don't know who has what initials there. I only know that we can be released when someone that's normally at GS who called for backup comes and turns off our light. I only know that when I'm at those lanes turning on the blinky light for trouble does nothing because no one who helps can see me back there.

That’s true, but the way I try to see it is that the other cashiers are up there all day.

Yeah, the other cashiers are up there all day, but their assigned work is up there with them. Sales floor have stuff elsewhere that is expected to be done no matter how short or long they are grabbed for backup. Being released and then coming back is going to get more of the assigned work done than staying up there during the lull so whoever at GS doesn't have to call for backup again.

GSTL, GSA, I don't know who has what initials there. I only know that we can be released when someone that's normally at GS who called for backup comes and turns off our light. I only know that when I'm at those lanes turning on the blinky light for trouble does nothing because no one who helps can see me back there.

Yeah, the other cashiers are up there all day, but their assigned work is up there with them. Sales floor have stuff elsewhere that is expected to be done no matter how short or long they are grabbed for backup. Being released and then coming back is going to get more of the assigned work done than staying up there during the lull so whoever at GS doesn't have to call for backup again.
Guest Service (GS) and GSA's/GSTL's are two different animals. GSTM's work at GS and we do not oversee the front lanes from the service desk.

Depends on your store GS setup. I have IGS and you better believe I’m calling for backup when the GSTL is too unaware to do it themselves.

I also have to inform the same GSTL that TM X has been on the lanes for a lengthy amount of time while the actual cashiers are not pulling their fair share or taking breaks all at the time or what have you.

Last edited:
Our cashiers were always stationed in the middle-most lanes, leaving the outer lanes for back-up responders & you better believe I'd switch off their lights first & all but push guests to the middle.

Legal amont is 10,000 in gift card purchases to prevent money laundering.
we should do what CVS does-- enforce a max amount (I think our current is $2000-2500?) and SCAN IDs. this prevents breaking up of transactions and stops people from going to the next store over and buying more

we should do what CVS does-- enforce a max amount (I think our current is $2000-2500?) and SCAN IDs. this prevents breaking up of transactions and stops people from going to the next store over and buying more
The store I worked at before target felt with money orders and western union so we were required to take anti money laundering classes and we had a lot more rules and regulations with gift cards

I'd love this but that's never going to happen. My STL shit a brick when I on-boarded and forced my cashiers to scan ID for all alcohol transactions instead of keying in random dates.

I'd love this but that's never going to happen. My STL shit a brick when I on-boarded and forced my cashiers to scan ID for all alcohol transactions instead of keying in random dates.
You better believe I’m carding everyone even grandma. I am not getting fired for something that stupid (not carding)

You better believe I’m carding everyone even grandma. I am not getting fired for something that stupid (not carding)

I agree with you but I didn't feel like getting my ass reamed and being made out to be the asshole when I wouldn't let middle aged and old people buy without a valid ID. Company policy is very clear: ID everyone so that cashiers are not at risk of using biased judgement to determine who is of age and who is not. I just made my STL repeat himself in front of all the ETLs and my team. If we were to get sued/fine/whatever for not ID-ing properly, I sure as hell wasn't going down for it. It would've been his ass on the line.

I agree with you but I didn't feel like getting my ass reamed and being made out to be the asshole when I wouldn't let middle aged and old people buy without a valid ID. Company policy is very clear: ID everyone so that cashiers are not at risk of using biased judgement to determine who is of age and who is not. I just made my STL repeat himself in front of all the ETLs and my team. If we were to get sued/fine/whatever for not ID-ing properly, I sure as hell wasn't going down for it. It would've been his ass on the line.
covering for yourself is always a good idea.

I always think of it as would my ETL AP fire me if she found out. if the answer is yes I don't do it or ensure it's the GSTL who is telling me to do it

I'm leaving target when I'm ready. not for breaking some relatively easy to follow policy

Well doesn’t look like any of my presents I’ve ordered as OPU last week will be ready in time so I’m just trying to do last minute stocking stuffers (candy and face masks) so my mom has SOMETHING to open and every single order I do gets cancelled no matter what it is so I guess I have to brave the store today after my shift to find it myself smh

I live in a state where Target does not sell alcohol. The medications that come up are not regulated by state law here with the exception of Nicotine products. Spray paint and rubber glue again not illegal to sell to those under 18 here. For those reasons management here is more casual about carding every time and unless the guest looks under 30 I don't ask them to pull it out and scan it unless I see they already have it in their hands when they make it to the register.

Well doesn’t look like any of my presents I’ve ordered as OPU last week will be ready in time so I’m just trying to do last minute stocking stuffers (candy and face masks) so my mom has SOMETHING to open and every single order I do gets cancelled no matter what it is so I guess I have to brave the store today after my shift to find it myself smh

You could do what my mom does sometimes. If she's ordered something that won't be delivered in time, she'll print out a picture of it, put it in a box, and wrap it.

Back