Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Did any of you get stuck dealing with that poopsie unicorn surprise ad misprint over the last few days? We had quite a few arguing it.

Did any of your stores honor it? We did not as far as I know.

When returning all DVD's, PS and Xbox games and anything from the electronics department over $100 we have to open it up to make sure the main and peripheral components are inside even if they are shrink wrapped and the guest said they never opened the item. What do you do when you have done that and given the refund? Do you defect/CRC all of those items or do you put a repackage sticker or what? As far as I know electronics has no way to re shrink wrap those items and in the cases of things like fitness devices and headphones etc no way to check if they have already been synced with another device or account.

When returning all DVD's, PS and Xbox games and anything from the electronics department over $100 we have to open it up to make sure the main and peripheral components are inside even if they are shrink wrapped and the guest said they never opened the item. What do you do when you have done that and given the refund? Do you defect/CRC all of those items or do you put a repackage sticker or what? As far as I know electronics has no way to re shrink wrap those items and in the cases of things like fitness devices and headphones etc no way to check if they have already been synced with another device or account.
We are technically supposed to too but if the item is shrink wrapped and looks like it’s never even been touched and the guest isn’t asking for cash back then I won’t open it. If the outer box seal is broken but everything else in it is pristine I still have to take out everything to match serial numbers and all that and we aren’t allowed to repackage electronics so we defect/CRC it.

We don’t open dvds or video games unless someone comes in with like a stack and it just feels weird. We wouldn’t re-sell them though. We would defect them.

We don’t really rewrap anything at my store. Most everything gets defected. Large electronics are suppossed to get opened. Our AP wants us to open anything over $75. Sometimes I make a judgment call and don’t open. Like an even exchange for color and the packaging looks completely untouched.

We’ve had issue in the past with apple products looking unopened and someone not checking and their being nothing inside, so I always check them and it makes me mad when other gstms at my store don’t. Then I just CRC it.

I'm just curious about how you have handled guests who attempt to buy an excessive amount of an item whether it's at self-checkout or the regular registers. When I asked my GSTL about it, he said to just use your best judgement and study the weekly ad to see what items are on sale. Are there any guidelines you have used in these situations?

I'm just curious about how you have handled guests who attempt to buy an excessive amount of an item whether it's at self-checkout or the regular registers. When I asked my GSTL about it, he said to just use your best judgement and study the weekly ad to see what items are on sale. Are there any guidelines you have used in these situations?
I mean is there any real reason they can’t? As long as they’re paying full price or using coupons that follow policy I don’t really see a problem with it

I mean is there any real reason they can’t? As long as they’re paying full price or using coupons that follow policy I don’t really see a problem with it
Well, one example that I can think of in which said GSTL actually came in was when a guest was trying to buy more than 20 packs of Poland Spring water when they were on sale. We obviously had a limited area for the Poland Spring and the GSTL didn't want one guest to buy out so much of the Poland Spring water before other guests had an opportunity to buy the water themselves. On the other hand, another GSTL said not to worry when a guest tried to buy 30 or so L.O.L. toys so it probably depends on the item and how many of it there is on the floor.

target reserves the right to limit the quantity of any purchase. I agree with your GSTL-- use best judgement, and be wary of electronics and GCs

It's evaluated on a case by case basis. If someone wanted to buy a cartful of bananas, I'd let them. However last year we had some pretty bad wildfires in the neighboring areas. People were being evacuated into our area as there were plenty of hotels around us. Of course that created some hot items that all the evacuees needed. We tried our best to be as accommodating as possible but I had to step in when 1 group of ladies came in and wanted to buy ALL of out air mattresses. Even some that we had in the back. They were legitimately paying but it wasn't worth going through the rest of the day with people yelling at me that we were out of air mattresses.

It's evaluated on a case by case basis. If someone wanted to buy a cartful of bananas, I'd let them. However last year we had some pretty bad wildfires in the neighboring areas. People were being evacuated into our area as there were plenty of hotels around us. Of course that created some hot items that all the evacuees needed. We tried our best to be as accommodating as possible but I had to step in when 1 group of ladies came in and wanted to buy ALL of out air mattresses. Even some that we had in the back. They were legitimately paying but it wasn't worth going through the rest of the day with people yelling at me that we were out of air mattresses.
We've had this issue with the fires and the resources my store had one hand. We were limiting water to one case and masks to one per person.

Ahhh, yes, let me go buy all the water at Target so I cal sell it for $20 a bottle out of the back of my truck. Fucking asshole disaster capitalists.

Yeah I'm sure that's what they were doing. Especially after the ringleader told me they'd been to 2 other Targets nearby and were allowed to buy everything. If you were actually trying to help evacuees you'd realize that your group is not the only group that needs supplies and you wouldn't be trying to buy 1 store's entire stock.

When someone price challenges something they’re buying multiples of, do you honor it? Today someone was buying like 8 huge plastic storage containers that are normally $14.99 and said “there was a sign that they are 30% off” and obviously my line was like 20 people long so I couldn’t hold it up so I just changed it but that’s like $40 she got off. I feel like if you’re price challenging you should only be able to get one for that price.

When someone price challenges something they’re buying multiples of, do you honor it? Today someone was buying like 8 huge plastic storage containers that are normally $14.99 and said “there was a sign that they are 30% off” and obviously my line was like 20 people long so I couldn’t hold it up so I just changed it but that’s like $40 she got off. I feel like if you’re price challenging you should only be able to get one for that price.

And you would have been right, you can only get one via price challenge. You should have said no.

And you would have been right, you can only get one via price challenge. You should have said no.
Our policy just states we reserve the right to limit the quantity. I’ll usually do it unless it’s electronics or a really big difference or a ton of items

As sales floor staff I do wonder at times if GS abuses their ability to call for backup. Fairly frequently lately they stick sales floor staff on the registers farthest from GS and therefore first seen by guests walking up to check out, and then when the lines are down to where the cashiers closer to GS have only one person and I've seen some have no one in line, but GS doesn't come over to turn off our light and send us back to the floor and we can't sneak away on our own because guests see us first and don't walk by to other cashiers closer to GS. And of course that means that GS doesn't have to call for backup the next rush because we are already stuck there. I'm not talking 15 or so minutes, I've been on backup over an hour a few times, some of that seeing other cashiers have one person or none.

As sales floor staff I do wonder at times if GS abuses their ability to call for backup. Fairly frequently lately they stick sales floor staff on the registers farthest from GS and therefore first seen by guests walking up to check out, and then when the lines are down to where the cashiers closer to GS have only one person and I've seen some have no one in line, but GS doesn't come over to turn off our light and send us back to the floor and we can't sneak away on our own because guests see us first and don't walk by to other cashiers closer to GS. And of course that means that GS doesn't have to call for backup the next rush because we are already stuck there. I'm not talking 15 or so minutes, I've been on backup over an hour a few times, some of that seeing other cashiers have one person or none.
That’s true, but the way I try to see it is that the other cashiers are up there all day. I do think that it is better to use the lanes that can designated for back-up though. I’m getting stuck up there a lot more than ever before lately, but I don’t mind so much. I just truly wish they pushed even harder than they already are to make all the team members work together to answer for back-up and phone calls. I see some people abusing the system and getting away with it at my store.

Well, one example that I can think of in which said GSTL actually came in was when a guest was trying to buy more than 20 packs of Poland Spring water when they were on sale. We obviously had a limited area for the Poland Spring and the GSTL didn't want one guest to buy out so much of the Poland Spring water before other guests had an opportunity to buy the water themselves. On the other hand, another GSTL said not to worry when a guest tried to buy 30 or so L.O.L. toys so it probably depends on the item and how many of it there is on the floor.
Why do parents waste so much money money this Lol crap?? Everywhere I look there is a parent holding one of these toys and even worse some are buying 4 at a Time m (of the $90 ones)

What does the GS mean? Guest Services?

Me patiently waiting for the OPU that I placed on Wednesday and is a ship to store that is purely Christmas presents to be ready even though as every day passes I’m getting more high key stressed especially seeing all the STS build and build at GS every day because no one’s doing it but I understand that everyone is insanely swamped and busy and we’re understaffed so it’s no one’s fault
5D020B08-3E7A-44D9-9CA5-6F37A404032A.jpeg

Back