Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

That comes up when you scan an ID for the no receipt return right? Does your store require authorization for returns off an ID?

it comes up when you hit K8 - Call for Override on a return

there's a few service desk people who think it's okay to write down/memorize the daily override code instead of calling me over (even tho 99% of the time i'll override it anyway...)

there's a few service desk people who think it's okay to write down/memorize the daily override code instead of calling me over (even tho 99% of the time i'll override it anyway...)
Lol opening gstl writes it down at open here 😝

Ohh that's right, I get that. I mean, the vast majority of situations that require the code really shouldn't, and don't need to involve a supervisor. But at the same time, there have been situations where I would've liked to be involved in and haven't.

The override code only really allows an exchange only return to go to merch credit or change of refund method so honestly the override code imho really falls within a team members empowerment anyway and the "do whats right for the guest" so i dont consider that "wrong" per say but getting a second opinion from a GSA is probably preferred. The override code doesn't allow changing any dollar amounts so I think its dumb it exists anyway. The override code "should" be removed and those functions should be left to the discretion of the team member.

The override code only really allows an exchange only return to go to merch credit or change of refund method so honestly the override code imho really falls within a team members empowerment anyway and the "do whats right for the guest" so i dont consider that "wrong" per say but getting a second opinion from a GSA is probably preferred. The override code doesn't allow changing any dollar amounts so I think its dumb it exists anyway. The override code "should" be removed and those functions should be left to the discretion of the team member.

the override code also allows you to change the tender, most notably from gift card/merch card or credit to cash. that's not empowerment and should require GSA intervention.

the override code also allows you to change the tender, most notably from gift card/merch card or credit to cash. that's not empowerment and should require GSA intervention.

Honestly sometimes the POS is just plain annoying for the stupidest little things that Target isnt going to care about in the slightest. Guest pays part merch card and part redcard, does a return and recommended refund is merch card but some guests will get upset with that and want it back on their redcard. Are we going to argue with them over it or just change it anyway. Who cares? The guest paid both ways and has the receipt. They arent doing anything thats hurting the company. Its stupid stuff like that that the POS system really should just let us decide and shouldnt require a "manager". I hate our POS most days with how strict it can be. How are we ever supposed to be the "service desk" when we are enforcing stupid things instead of being there to help the guest. Maybe its just me that is bothered by it. Me and the GSAs/GSTLs agree on most things like that 90% of the time and calling them over for the stupidest stuff that they will just override no questions asked anyway. Why hold up the line for that?

Lol our GSTL will sometimes just writeit down for us.

Also sometimes hitting k8 when the return option has multiple payment methods allows you to pick the methods without the code.

Honestly sometimes the POS is just plain annoying for the stupidest little things that Target isnt going to care about in the slightest. Guest pays part merch card and part redcard, does a return and recommended refund is merch card but some guests will get upset with that and want it back on their redcard. Are we going to argue with them over it or just change it anyway. Who cares? The guest paid both ways and has the receipt. They arent doing anything thats hurting the company. Its stupid stuff like that that the POS system really should just let us decide and shouldnt require a "manager". I hate our POS most days with how strict it can be. How are we ever supposed to be the "service desk" when we are enforcing stupid things instead of being there to help the guest. Maybe its just me that is bothered by it. Me and the GSAs/GSTLs agree on most things like that 90% of the time and calling them over for the stupidest stuff that they will just override no questions asked anyway. Why hold up the line for that?
If a guest paid for something using a merchandise card then that’s how they’re getting it back - on a merchandise card. I’m not going to basically turn their card into cash for them. If you don’t want a merchandise card then don’t return things without a receipt in the first place - we are doing you a courtesy by even giving you that option

If a guest paid for something using a merchandise card then that’s how they’re getting it back - on a merchandise card. I’m not going to basically turn their card into cash for them. If you don’t want a merchandise card then don’t return things without a receipt in the first place - we are doing you a courtesy by even giving you that option
This. Merch card should not be overridden to another form unless it’s an extreme circumstance as decided by GSTL.

i'm kind of shook at the lack of communication about a major system being pushed to like 300 stores in a few weeks (new POS). call me crazy but i'd like to be prepared to train my team
You’ll get communication when you’re supposed to. Most stores won’t even get it until fall let the guide. Every monthly addendum has said more about the update. No need to roll out communication to the entire company when it’s still in beta testing at pilot stores

If a guest paid $10 with a merch card and the rest on their credit card on a $200 purchase and is returning a $5 item, I see no reason to restrict their refund to a merch card. GSTM's don't need to call me over for that.
See you’re thinking like a guest and not a TM. That defeats the purpose of the merch card. Once you get it you’re stuck with it. Returning the 10 in cash is basically letting the guest sell their merch card for cash

See you’re thinking like a guest and not a TM. That defeats the purpose of the merch card. Once you get it you’re stuck with it. Returning the 10 in cash is basically letting the guest sell their merch card for cash

That's a compliment. Far too many people at Target get caught up in Target's systems, policies, procedures, that they forget to actually consider the guest and how difficult we make things for them sometimes.

I'd override to credit in that case, no cash. I'd do cash if they paid with debit.

It's a way to prevent our dishonest guests from getting around the system. If they get a merch card, they can always buy something with the intent to return it on a large purchase, that way they can get the cash back on whatever other way they used to pay for the item. Merch cards are meant to keep the money in Target, and allowing a guest to return something they bought in a purchase with a merch card and whatever other method of payment allows them to not keep the money in Target.

Most guests are honest. But there are several who would abuse the system if we allowed them to circumvent the merch card to a separate method of payment.

You’ll get communication when you’re supposed to. Most stores won’t even get it until fall let the guide. Every monthly addendum has said more about the update. No need to roll out communication to the entire company when it’s still in beta testing at pilot stores

i’m at a pilot store, so i’m getting it sometime this month but ok

Last edited:
Lol our GSTL will sometimes just writeit down for us.

Also sometimes hitting k8 when the return option has multiple payment methods allows you to pick the methods without the code.

in my opinion, if service desk team members were supposed to have access to it, it wouldn’t be hidden in the GSTL menu

I find it extremely hard to believe if you are truly getting it this month, you don’t have communication. I’m sure someone in your store has gotten it.

i’m at a new op model store. new op model stores are supposed to receive it by the end of march (which is this month). my ETL (service and engagement leader) hasn’t received any communication about it, nor have my leads. the only communication we received was when the vendor was coming to install new monitors on our registers.

i’m at a new op model store. new op model stores are supposed to receive it by the end of march (which is this month). my ETL (service and engagement leader) hasn’t received any communication about it, nor have my leads. the only communication we received was when the vendor was coming to install new monitors on our registers.
As in you’ve been doing it since the rollout last year? Or that you’re a “new” op model store.

As in you’ve been doing it since the rollout last year? Or that you’re a “new” op model store.

my district is one of the original 26 that started the pilot. we have been doing it since last year.

Eh, if you trust your GSTMs enough, they should have it. It’s not like what we do with it isn’t tracked if it were to be misused.
It’s funny how you’re so by the book but make personal exceptions like this. You ID every single guest for OPU even though it’s not best practice but you’re okay with over riding returns when the code is specifically under the GSTL function and is new everyday to prevent this exact thing

Yes however multiple tenders you should try to make it right for the guest. Considering no receipt returns the limit is super low anyway ($75-100) it really isn’t that big of a deal. You are giving them maximum $100 in return for merchandise we are going to sell anyway. I get it policies are policies but is a $100 really going to hurt Target

Yes however multiple tenders you should try to make it right for the guest. Considering no receipt returns the limit is super low anyway ($75-100) it really isn’t that big of a deal. You are giving them maximum $100 in return for merchandise we are going to sell anyway. I get it policies are policies but is a $100 really going to hurt Target

this isn't a "make it right" situation, though

It’s funny how you’re so by the book but make personal exceptions like this. You ID every single guest for OPU even though it’s not best practice but you’re okay with over riding returns when the code is specifically under the GSTL function and is new everyday to prevent this exact thing
I don’t actually use the code without telling the GSTL.

Also remember the whole ID thing isn’t me. It’s the leaders telling me to do that. If they said to stop IDing, I would.

Back