Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

I have a question about OPU and quantity limits. Once there was a guest who ordered 10 packs of 24-bottle Poland Spring water, along with a lot of other items. The guest needed help carrying all of their items to their car, and since there was no cart attendant at the time, I helped her while the GSTL covered self-checkout. Usually, during a transaction at the checklanes, we would limit Poland Spring water to 6 per household. Wouldn't a guest who wanted to order items like this be able to get around the quantity limit by OPU as long as we have the items in stock?

What they do at my store is they schedule an opener for SCO, for guest service, and for cash office. They schedule cash office from 8-10 and then figure oh the cash office person can come out and cashier from 10-12 or whenever their shift ends. But then the cash office person takes their entire shift just doing cash office (sometimes 5 hours) so like we don’t have an actual cashier until like 11 or 12 sometimes :/

We usually have one cashier, 2 SCO tms (2 sides of SCO), a GSTM, and a “drive up” TM (basically another GSTM) at 8am. At 8:15, another cashier comes in and same thing for 8:30, and then 9:00, and then at 10 another GSTM comes in, etc

That's one of the things my store was doing to save payroll. The new mandate is that there must always be at least three TMs in the front a SCO, a cashier, and someone at the service desk. It's definitely better for early morning guests, but since it reallocates a couple of cashier hours from the mid-day it will likely lead to more guest first calls.
And all it would take is one call out to bring it down to two. That is why having the GSA around would help cover SCO.

We usually have one cashier, 2 SCO tms (2 sides of SCO), a GSTM, and a “drive up” TM (basically another GSTM) at 8am. At 8:15, another cashier comes in and same thing for 8:30, and then 9:00, and then at 10 another GSTM comes in, etc
Wow, you must be a big store. We usually have one each and then someone else in at nine. There are days when we have maybe eight cashiers scheduled and not all have 7.5 hours.

I have a question about OPU and quantity limits. Once there was a guest who ordered 10 packs of 24-bottle Poland Spring water, along with a lot of other items. The guest needed help carrying all of their items to their car, and since there was no cart attendant at the time, I helped her while the GSTL covered self-checkout. Usually, during a transaction at the checklanes, we would limit Poland Spring water to 6 per household. Wouldn't a guest who wanted to order items like this be able to get around the quantity limit by OPU as long as we have the items in stock?

Yes and no. The six item limit is your store's specific policy. Target.com doesn't know it or care about it so online orders can be for more. But, there are limits to how much of any particular item can be ordered online. The amount varies by item. Looking around a bit the online limit on 24 packs of water is 10. For packages of pens it's 20. For AirPods it's 3. And, if you really need panties the limit for any specific type of Auden panty is 99. Obviously, someone cannot order items for pick up in quantities greater than your store's on hand count.

Weird flex but ok

What they do at my store is they schedule an opener for SCO, for guest service, and for cash office. They schedule cash office from 8-10 and then figure oh the cash office person can come out and cashier from 10-12 or whenever their shift ends. But then the cash office person takes their entire shift just doing cash office (sometimes 5 hours) so like we don’t have an actual cashier until like 11 or 12 sometimes :/

it definitely should not take more than two hours to do cash office wtf

Biggest and busiest store in our district 😔 I wish I worked at a slow store so bad lol

Slow is relative, m'lady. I work at a LV store and while we get fewer guests overall, you'd probably be interacting with the same number of them per shift. And you'd still have to wait in long Starbucks lines because we have 0.2 baristas per day.

That said, you should still transfer anyway :^)

Wow, you must be a big store. We usually have one each and then someone else in at nine. There are days when we have maybe eight cashiers scheduled and not all have 7.5 hours.

Even that sounds like a lot. We typically run with 6 cashiers a day on a weekday (we're not ULV either) and NONE of them have a 7.5 hour shift. Cashier shifts are 4-5 hours, period. It makes getting breaks in difficult, and if there's a call-out, oh my, the back ups are just plain rediculous.

Now that you mention it, we haven't had any days where the SCO is the only lane (s) open.

it definitely should not take more than two hours to do cash office wtf
Literally my ETL said he was going to put a stop to the TMs we have in there and put only the GSA/GSTL team in there because he thinks the TMs we have in there now are kind of milking it but nothing has been done so :/ I haven’t done cash office myself but I really don’t see how it is taking them 5 hours either.

Our morning gstl at 9:05 this morning, "Hey team, I need a backup at the front lanes and someone at Guest service. I don't anyone at guest service, or sco, or a cashier until 10 and I have to take the money to the pharmacy."

So the only person up front of the whole store was the gstl. Now that's cutting payroll. Maybe they had a call off. Maybe.

Our morning gstl at 9:05 this morning, "Hey team, I need a backup at the front lanes and someone at Guest service. I don't anyone at guest service, or sco, or a cashier until 10 and I have to take the money to the pharmacy."

So the only person up front of the whole store was the gstl. Now that's cutting payroll. Maybe they had a call off. Maybe.

Likely it was call offs if they were that understaffed. Happens at my store a lot. Lack of overall hours for cashiers and having shifts limited to no more than 5.5 hours has led to a general IDGAF about Target. Front end call offs have increased greatly.

Literally my ETL said he was going to put a stop to the TMs we have in there and put only the GSA/GSTL team in there because he thinks the TMs we have in there now are kind of milking it but nothing has been done so :/ I haven’t done cash office myself but I really don’t see how it is taking them 5 hours either.
I understand you have a large store, but it shouldn’t take that long. Especially if you have the recycler in there.

And this is why I have my doubts about the eliminations of the GSA’s. At least they are a front backup if there are call outs.

I would love to see what hours our front end is allocated vs what is actually posted after our STL edits.

We open at 7:00 and close at 11:00. SCO #1 comes in at 7:00, SCO #2 at 7:30, and the first actual cashier usually comes in at 9:00.

On Saturday night, our last cashier left at 8:00. 🤔

Yesterday we had 5 cashiers scheduled: 9-5, 9:30-5:30, 10:30-3, 3-8, and 6-11. (The 3rd cashier doesn't really give you 3 open lanes though, since they have to cover 6 lunches and 2-3 breaks in that timeframe).

Today we had 4.

Even with 2 sides of SCO, we still get back-ups to the carpet multiple times per day. To the point where inbound, consumables, hardlines, and softlines are now required to be scheduled for one full hour on the lanes between 10:00 and 9:00 each day. As if they don't have enough on their plates as it is.

Oh, and we are a $50M Super T. I just don't get it.

Okay, sorry, rant over.

Likely it was call offs if they were that understaffed. Happens at my store a lot. Lack of overall hours for cashiers and having shifts limited to no more than 5.5 hours has led to a general IDGAF about Target. Front end call offs have increased greatly.
I predicted and stick by my prediction that this will be abandoned because of call outs. It's easier for young people to blow off 4 hours than a full day's pay.

One strategy I am using is to not be so willing to stay later. I will only if it's convenient. Otherwise, no. This HR strategy may seem good for company, but it makes a part time job feel like fulltime without the pay reward.

Back