Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

I like how on a slow Tuesday we have 4 cashiers scheduled whereas on Saturday we'll have 2 cashiers and the GSA screeching THERES A SELF CHECKOUT OPEN at guests in line
My favorite is when we have all front end management (5 people) scheduled on a Monday and Tuesday and only two scheduled on Sat/Sun. This is why I find the needs of the business comment worthless.

My favorite is when we have all front end management (5 people) scheduled on a Monday and Tuesday and only two scheduled on Sat/Sun. This is why I find the needs of the business comment worthless.
All TLs and ETLs have to be scheduled every Monday Friday and they rotate weekends so I means it’s kinda unavoidable

Our morning gstl at 9:05 this morning, "Hey team, I need a backup at the front lanes and someone at Guest service. I don't anyone at guest service, or sco, or a cashier until 10 and I have to take the money to the pharmacy."

So the only person up front of the whole store was the gstl. Now that's cutting payroll. Maybe they had a call off. Maybe.

As a GSA at an ULV store this is my life every single day. I had no one until 10am and when I close I have one SCO after 8pm. That's it.

We aren’t allowed to not have a register open on each level at my two story store. We have SCO on both levels, so we generally open with four openers (2 cashiers, 2 sco) and a gstm. Every once in awhile, we’ll have SCO not come in for like 15 minutes to 45 minutes after open. A lot of times the next cashier won’t be in until like 10:45, which sucks for breaks though. We’ll close SCO early if we have to too at least for the cashiers to take breaks.

Our morning gstl at 9:05 this morning, "Hey team, I need a backup at the front lanes and someone at Guest service. I don't anyone at guest service, or sco, or a cashier until 10 and I have to take the money to the pharmacy."

So the only person up front of the whole store was the gstl. Now that's cutting payroll. Maybe they had a call off. Maybe.

Of course, it being a Tuesday morning and no truck, our was crawling with TMS. I myself was just standing around twiddling my thumbs. So you can imagine there were hundreds of responses!!

All sarcasm of course.

All TLs and ETLs have to be scheduled every Monday Friday and they rotate weekends so I means it’s kinda unavoidable
So how is this good for the weekend business when you have all the GSA's/GSTL's all there on a Monday and Tuesday and only two on the weekend for opening and closing shifts?

So how is this good for the weekend business when you have all the GSA's/GSTL's all there on a Monday and Tuesday and only two on the weekend for opening and closing shifts?
To be honest I think two is plenty and one of the perks is getting every other weekend off. They’re all there on days like Monday and Friday’s to deal with workload and the process but two or even one gsa/gstl is enough to handle guest traffic. There’s no tasking or process on the weekend so no need for everyone to be there

Ok but why can't we just do soda stream style where we ring it up as 0 and its replenished that way? But I'm glad it's back to SAP, RFID was a mess lol
I agree... I think it would be way easier that way. They’ve changed baby bags like four times in the past two years so maybe eventually 😂

Edit: or even .01 like Kodak

Edit: or even .01 like Kodak
Question for anyone with photo: We’ve been out of the 8.5x11 two sided photobooks for awhile. When they updated things, it said, “the DPCI reorder code was 237 02 0290,” which rings up as $19.99 in POS, not .01 like everything else. Do you know if that’s happened to you guys at all? Also, maybe that’s not the correct reorder DPCI?

It’s annoying because when we got them in, someone immediately took them out of the box with the barcode on it and trashed it, so I never had the chance to scan that.

Even that sounds like a lot. We typically run with 6 cashiers a day on a weekday (we're not ULV either) and NONE of them have a 7.5 hour shift. Cashier shifts are 4-5 hours, period. It makes getting breaks in difficult, and if there's a call-out, oh my, the back ups are just plain rediculous.

Now that you mention it, we haven't had any days where the SCO is the only lane (s) open.
I can't remember exactly, but we had only 7-8 cashiers all day yesterday too, with most of them having 4-5 hour shifts as well. When it got backed up, our GSTL/GSA and even ETL were backing up for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. Our cart attendant called out, and I extended to cover for him, but I couldn't even get started when I was supposed to since there was only one other cashier at the time, until our closing cashiers came in.

Question for anyone with photo: We’ve been out of the 8.5x11 two sided photobooks for awhile. When they updated things, it said, “the DPCI reorder code was 237 02 0290,” which rings up as $19.99 in POS, not .01 like everything else. Do you know if that’s happened to you guys at all? Also, maybe that’s not the correct reorder DPCI?

It’s annoying because when we got them in, someone immediately took them out of the box with the barcode on it and trashed it, so I never had the chance to scan that.
search photo lab on WB, there's a list there of all of them

Any other stores not using break sheets anymore? I have no idea why, but my store's front end has stopped giving break sheets to team members and asked everyone to memorize what time they will go on break.

We don't use break sheets either, except for Black Friday weekend. Instead, GSA/GSTL tells me when to go by sending someone to relieve me at the register. And even on Black Friday weekend, we don't get to just shut off our light and walk away when the time on the sheet rolls around, we have to wait for coverage, which can quickly make those sheets completely worthless.

Any other stores not using break sheets anymore? I have no idea why, but my store's front end has stopped giving break sheets to team members and asked everyone to memorize what time they will go on break.

Break sheets are only used on TGiving in my store. We also don't know when our break is going to be so there's nothing to memorize.

We are asked/told to go on our 15 (no one is scheduled long enough for a meal other than the GSTL and maybe GSA) when there's a break in the flow of guests.

Now our GSTL/A try to send us about midway through our shift, but that's difficult if there's only 1 cashier on duty at the time.

Is anyone actually able to order the baby registry welcome kits yet? My GE and I tried to order them on SAP today using the # that was in the weekly comm from the 25th and nothing popped up on SAP lol

We finally got rid of photo and I’m so blessed to not hear “fast service needed at photo finishing” ever again

We finally got rid of photo and I’m so blessed to not hear “fast service needed at photo finishing” ever again
Lol we use the button at GS so no luck.

I actually prefer real photo to the prints in seconds kiosks. It works better lol

Is anyone actually able to order the baby registry welcome kits yet? My GE and I tried to order them on SAP today using the # that was in the weekly comm from the 25th and nothing popped up on SAP lol
What’s the point in them being part of rfid if they have to be ordered on SAP?

Still nothing like that at our store. Asked for the mycheckout over the walkie and was chewed out because apparently we don’t do that anymore and no one told me ???

How is Line-Busting going for you guys?
I like it on the weekends a lot... more so saturdays than sunday just because sunday is big cart full of groceries day, but the guests really seem to enjoy it. they’re always really thankful that i’m trying to get them out of line faster.

only issue is that it’s still a little buggy. sometimes the card just continues to say “do not remove card” and spins and then you’re just awkwardly staring at the guest and it ends up not working. other times the app itself will crash and i have to wait for it to reload... not the end of the world, but counterproductive when i’m trying to speed things up.

also, the moment i start a transaction guest service, sco, or someone on register always seems to need me, which gets annoying.... really bad timing. my gstl and i were joking about it because it kept happening to her, too.

Back